Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,001 | Hads: 2,328
4.92/5  rDev +16%

Batch Number 72 Poured into a Koningshoeven Chalice black with a nice tan head. Whoa, the smell of this beer is strong!!! Lots of nut scents with a strong fruit scent, almost like grapefruit. It smells delicious!!! And the taste doesn't fail!!! HOLY COW. The flavors are all over the place. First taste of roasted malts, then roasted malts, some raisins, then more roasted malt. And right at the end of the flavor circus is smoked wood. I would almost describe the smoke flavor like Mesquite wood. This would be absolutly great with Mesquite Slow smoked BBQ Chicken. I can't believe how great these tastes going across my tounge are. The mouthfeel is strong in alcohol, but perfect in carbonation. The head remains in a thin layer all the way down the glass with good lacing.

Overall, I am in love. This is an outstanding beer. Unbelievably outstanding!!!

Batch 58

Dark mahogany in hue, ruby highly when held to a light but it is largely opaque. It is a very attractive color. The head was beige and very rocky. It reached a fist in height; I couldn’t pour the entire bottle into my snifter. Lordy! The head is massive and out of control. It looks like it will be awhile before I can drink it. The head retention was fantastic, rock solid. Subsequent lacing was ubiquitous but not very clingy.

The first whiff was green apples, bushels of them. Spicy. A second sniff introduced lovely musky notes, smoky bacon, and peat aromas too. This is simply awesome. Whiskey. Oak, old wooden barrels that stored alcohol years ago. Robust maltiness. The hops seem to say “hi” but I could barely hear them. The potency is huge. Inviting, mouthwateringly so. Complex like few other beers I have smelled.

The palate is freaking amazing; the bouquet does not lie and it does not deceive, it delivers as promised. Wow, it is like a tale of three beers, the spicy, yeasty, clovey, peppery flavors remind me of a Triple. The smokiness is Rauchbier-like. Yummy! The maltiness is very much similar to an Old Ale with appropriate hop levels. This is seriously and insanely good. The complexities are amazing; I can’t believe how well the smoke works with the yeasty-spice and alcohol punch. Most of the beer is deeply infused with smoke. The finish, I found, was dominated by zesty ale fruitiness and bitter hops. In the aftertaste the malt and smoke return. Freaking incredible.

This is one amazing beer, medium-full in body with moderate carbonation on the tongue; the mouthfeel is very pleasant because it yields to the flavors.

I found this to be very drinkable but I forced myself to sip and savor. I really wish I had bought more than one bottle in Loveland, CO. That was a foolish mistake. Highly recommended.

4.92/5  rDev +16%

A Big thanks to tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a deep brown almost black, but with a red-orange hue to it. Medium sized thick tan colored head that laces the glass very nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, hints of caramel, dark vinous fruits, and some chocolate. Really complex and really enticing.
T: Tastes similar to the nose which blew my mind. Dark roasted malts with some caramelized malts, chocolate, dark vinous fruits, molasses, and a really nice finish to it.
M: Very rich, complex, warming, lighter bodied than it looked, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable beer, this one was gone before I knew it, really really great beer for sure. I wish this one were available around CT!

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Served chilled, but savored slowly to allow warming, in a Trois Pistoles goblet. Batch #48.

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black liquid topped by an impressive light brown head of extremely dense bubbles. The head was nearly as thick and creamy as nitro poured Guinness. Omnipresent layer of foam that left a curtain of lace on the sides of my glass. The head was a bit crazy, but that allowed for the release of the aromatic compounds.

Smell: Sweet toffee, anise and good pipe tobacco at first impression. Hints of piney hops. Closer inspection brings out raisins, prunes, and molasses aromas. A nicely complex nose that's medicinal at times. Sniff this dog over, get to know it.

Taste: Nice intense smoky bittersweet toffee malt taste at first. Where the hell is my jerky? Cocoa, coffee, prune, and molasses flavors cascade in the mouth. Freeyow, this is good. There's alcohol in this?

Mouthfeel: Thick, hearty, and warming. I sat outside on a crisp late fall day with my glass and did not feel a chill.

Drinkability: I bet this would be an ideal beer for BBQ'ed ribs. A special occasion beer, but one worth getting and savoring. More than one in a sitting? No, but you'll want a litter of these puppies lying around the house. Perfect for a late fall/early winter day that's overcast and has a light breeze. Sit, sip, and think. So far, the best of the Hair of the Dog beers I've had.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Batch 55 labeled on the bottle, which from their website means it was bottled in 2002. I am sitting here drinking it in 2009 wishing I had a younger and maybe an older bottle to compare. I have only had this once before, and I am very fond of it. It is deliciously rich, smooth, and enjoyable.

The beer pours dark brown, almost black with an amazing thick frothy tan head that seemed to grade from small bubbles at the bottom to larger ones on top before you start drinking it. It leaves a very nice lace, and the head is very long lived. I haven't seen many nicer looking beers. It has a rich malty aroma that is smokey, a little fruity, musty and robust. Big, delicious malt flavor transitions to an almosty perfumey bitter aftertaste that has a good heat but is not distracting. Warm, thick mouthfeel that is full bodied, very smooth, and has an alcoholic finish. This is a rare beer that I think is worth what they are charging for 12 oz. bottles. I have had mixed luck with their Fred, but I am very excited about Adam.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

This was maybe my second Hair of the Dog ever shortly after moving to Portland four years ago, I was naive in my beer drinking capabilities with my notes below. But i have to say, after almost four years of having nearly all the Adam I can drink, it is still one of my absolute favorites. It's rich with smoked malt and alcohol complexities. It's one of the most unique beers out there.

[Previous notes from 3/5/2007] I snagged a bottle at Higgins for dessert, and I couldn't of made a better choice. Poured a deep brown/black with a huge tan head. Sweet cocoa-like, malty aroma... flavors of chocolate, figs, tarts, smoked meat or cheese, and maybe something like a coffee undertone. Had amazing smokey, leathery, charred finish.

Batch # 74

Poured from a brown 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A deep dark black topped with a half inch of creamy tannish head that goes away in a minute. Look is more like an Imperial stout.

Smell is deep. Ripened fig and dates. Smokey chocolate and tons of roasted malts.

This is an incredible brew. Tons of flavors hitting my pallet at once. Like i said in the aroma. Figs dates and dried fruit. Roasted malts out the wazoo! Sweet dark chocolate. Finishes smokey with tons of espresso coffee.

Decent mouthfeel, Lightly carbonated. Pretty rich and creamy. Not overly thick or heavy. Lots of alcohol warmth in the finish.

This is a really great beer. Lots of flavors going on but it remains well balanced. Everytime I have this beer I love it more and more. It's really world class and one of the best beers ever made!

4.89/5  rDev +15.3%

Had this at Craftheads in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan http://craftheads.jp
2008 Vintage; Batch 64

A - Jet black pour into a pint glass yielding a one-finger thick, foamy and tan head (4)

S - Pleasant scents of oak on the nose with fruity suggestions of primarily raisins; aromas of caramel and chocolate were also present on the rich nose (5)

T - Sweet and intense chocolate and caramel notes upfront breaking into truck loads of dark fruits with suggestions of plums, raisins and dates; the finish comes with a solid chocolate backing and some pleasant notes of oak. The complexity and balanced blending of all these flavors are nothing short of astonishing (5)

M - Full-bodied thickness with a creamy smooth texture; carbonation was slightly on the high though (4.5)

D - Fantastic flavors and stunning complexity yet deceivingly easy drinking at 10% ABV; definitely a top beer well suited for my palates (5)

This was one of the best (if not the best) craft beer I've had on my trip to Japan from Jan 18 - 28, 2011. It was so good, I bought another bottle of it (1100 Yen) from Tanakaya Beer store along with a bottle of Cherry Adam (2100 Yen)

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Batch 52
Whooo... Gotta take a deep breath before trying to explain this one.
Pours a delightful glass of muddy brown fluid. I love it. Not clean-looking in the least. Borders on a crimson blackness when not held to light.You know it is huge just by looking it it. Beige head retains wonderfully.
Nose is packed full of berry, wood and chocolate aromas. Plenty of hops on the nostrils, as well as with a good deal of smokiness.
Taste is something else. Big, rich fruitiness. Lots of grape and raisins floating around. Berries and cherry too. Malty caramel/toffee/butterscotch is in full effect. Add some lovely vanilla flavors. Turns darker with the expresso and dark chocolate kicking in. Then does an about-face and throws some scotch-like hues. Smoky and delightful with some lovely woody notes. Yeast is evident, and throws in some spicy and earthy tones. Somewhat belgian-esque, as many HotD brew are. Hopping is obviously huge, but just enough to balance this overwhelming load. Turns spell-bindingly dry on the finish. Just some lingering woody dark chocolate and fruit. So balanced it is not even funny.
Velvety smooth and creamy in the mouth. No rough edges whatsoever. Oh..this is a joy to drink. Dangerous is an understatement.
I loved every second of this one. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks for the treat, Bighuge. I'd drive the 250 miles anytime for a 6er of this. I wish Hair of the Dog was available down here in Madison. I am very impressed with their product.

Update 6/29/03: I was playing with my ratings and saw that this is one of my top 5. I wasn't quite sure of that, so I popped one for validation (courtesy, once again of Mr. Bighuge himself). Conclusion? This is the real fucking deal right here. One of the best in the States.

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

'04 Vintage. Picked this up at Belmont Station in '05. Really thick half inch head, light-brown, mostly lasting, almost black. Mmild coffee aroma, dough, raisin, plum, cherry and red wine. Extremely long finish. Quite thick - really coats the tongue. really outstanding!!

*batch 77, 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter*

Subtle hints of brown around the edges are the only thing that keeps me from saying this brew pours black. A one finger, cream-colored head filled the glass quite nicely and then subsided into a thin film which produced some very nice lacing.

The initial aroma is all candied plum and raisin. As it warms, however, oak, leather, grape, subtle hints of sweet pipe tobacco, and even more sweet and fruity aromas that I just can't quite put my finger on begin to come through. Amazing.

Upon my first sip, I notice that although it drinks a lot more sweet than bitter, it's incredibly balanced. There is absolutely nothing out of place. Rich candied fruit, oak, and vanilla are the predominant flavors. Subsequent sips produce leathery, tobacco-like flavors. Alcohol, while detectable, is balanced perfectly in the background. If you haven't had this, believe me when I say, "It works". I'd love to pair this with a great steak.

Mouthfeel is on point. It's full-bodied without feeling like cough medicine or motor oil. Carbonation is perfect. It's neither fizzy nor flat.

This is a fantastic beer. I can't help but think that this would be the perfect brew to get your wine-only friend to finally break on through to the world of craft beer. This beer oozes compelexity and begs to be paired with a great meal. I'll be picking this one up again.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

I sampled batch #53, I'm gonna put one of these guys away and try it again in a year.

Pours syrupy with no head, especially if one follows the directions on the bottle indicating to pour slowly, and I am a sucker for directions on the bottle. Color is incredibly dark brown, completely opaque. Leaves a slight lace as one slowly sips this beer down.

Smell is quite complex and sorting it out completely is above the ability of my paltry nose. I would describe it as a sweet and slightly fruity (think figs, raisins). The enigmatic smell seems to call out drink me, and so I listen.

Overtones of alcohol do not seem to affect the complex flavor, even though you do feel your BA levels rising as you sip this bad boy down. It seems the smell did not lie, as the taste of the beer is itself sweet and slightly fruity (again I'm thinking of figs and raisins), but there seems to be even more to sort out. There is a bitterness which comes initially and seems to be countered immediately by the sweet flavor described earlier. Finally, at the end of the sip one nutty and coffee flavors resonate and the mild bitterness is back.

Easily the most drinkable double digit ABV beer I have had. Not for beginners, like Stone Arrogant Bastard, this beer just wants to kick your ass. My suggestion is to let it.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

First beer review. Might as well start with my one of my favorites.

A 12oz 2008 Adam bottle aged for about six months poured into a large wine glass.

A-Mostly black, with a little reddish tinge. Really dark color. Head was beautiful off-white color. About half of initial pour was head.

S- Great, big smells of plum, lots of plum. Some fig and raisin as well. Lots of dark fruit that just smells fantastic. Some notes of wood and caramel.

T- Wow. Big, blood tastes of dark fruit, chocolate, and woodiness to it. There is some alcohol, which`prevents the flavor from becoming too sweet. So tasty.

M- The first pour had lots of foam, but after the first few sips, great mouthfeel. Heavy, without being overwhelming.

D- Well, it is 10%. You don't really notice the affects until 3/4th through. Wouldn't recommend more then two in a night. Still, very drinkable considering how much flavor and alcohol is in this beer.

What a beer. Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite brewers, and Adam is another reminder of how original and creative they are.

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

Batch 55. Pours a beautiful reddish cola color. Small but really dense tan head. Dissapated rather quickly. Whoa...what an aroma! Roasted malt, brown sugar, every red fruit I can think of both fresh and dried plus a few others. Mild yeastiness as well. Very earthy, woody and vinuous. Almost like a mild Port. My mouth is watering!
Deeply complex earthy flavor. The roasted malt is really upfront with a mild smokiness. The red and other fruits come in with some molasses and a smidge of licorice. Big hop presence helps to balance along with a slightly tart yeast aftertaste.The 10% alcohol is present but not in a bad way. It all melds together rather well. Definitly a vinuous character here. I'll have to try this with a good cigar. Has the potential for a match made in heaven!
Rich, creamy, full mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. The alcohol and richness hurt the drinkability a bit, but a world class beer nonetheless. I really liked this beer.
I didn't know they had trappist breweries in Oregon!

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Batch 77.

A wet, wood smell hits me first, which quickly gives way to a thick, fig/raisin scent.

Adam pours dark but bubbly, carbonation bubbles evident throughout the glass. Little head dissipates quickly.

For all of the carbonation bubbles, the mouthfeel is deceptively smooth.

The taste...this is the stuff. A dark roasted chocolate cake/chocolate truffle taste that gives way to a smooth smokiness.

This beer deserves it's spot. It's a dark smooth beer that starts with a chocolate cake taste and ends with smoky finish. I could drink a bomber of this easy.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Wow, that is about all I can say about this one. This was one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I don’t even know where to begin on this one. Lets just start from the top. Poured a very deep dark brown with a big three finger plus head of tan lace and just a really full overall look. This was really nice looking with tons of residual side glass lace and a sticky foam top that would not quit. The aroma was wonderful, full of sweet smells of caramel, sugar, chocolate and nuts, with a nice hop essence in the back. I am not sure what the style of this is, but the flavor was robust and full. Very nutty with a decidedly caramelesque sugar to it and a really great fresh, and dry hop like finish. There were hints of chocolate and coffee throughout, but not enough to make it rely totally on those. Such a very full bodied feel, very creamy and rich. This was a magnificent bottle and one that I was really glad I got to try. It really was different than almost anything I had had before and I look forward to one day getting another to compare. And for reference this was batch number 68, and it was fantastic!

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Holy crap, this one came out of nowhere for me. I mean, I knew it was good, but didn't quite grasp what planet this beer lived on. And the planet is good, believe me.

Pour is deep brown, near black color. Floating sinking yeast. Huge white head that leaves nice lacing. Near perfect to look at.

Aroma is big! Chocolate, roasted malt, light cookies, dried fruit, light smoke. Some spiciness. Complex and beautiful.

Flavor is huge chocolate, roasted malt. Smoke in there, along with a hint of bacon. Just a hint of booze, which is remarkable given the ABV. Delicious flavor. Oak, vanilla and molasses. Rich as hell.

Body is full as hell, creamy and delicious.

This one seriously knocked me on my ass, both from the incredible flavor and the booziness that stuck with me. Definitely a sipper, but one that'll keep you happy for a long while. Wish I could find this in DC.

12oz bottle (batch 84) poured into New Belgium snifter

A- Poured fairly slowly resulting in huge 3 finger frosting-like off-white head persistent head. Really sticky lacing. Very dark, but held to the light you can see some red.

S- Dark fruits, toffee, leather, chocolate. Not getting much alcohol. Wonderful.

T- Incredible. So complex with all of the different notes I am getting. Dark fruits, leather, toffee, and lingering dark chocolate and warm booziness.

M- So creamy. Surprising medium carbonation lends itself to a creamy mouthfeel. A delight to drink.

O- I have had this beer many times in the bottle and on tap at the brewery. This is one of my favorite beers of all time and snag one whenever I see it. I have never been patient enough to age this one. One of few beers that truly is a journey once you crack the cap.

355ml bottle 10,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in a tulip wine glass.
Batch 79

Appearance: Adam pours an exceptionally dark, opaque brown. Deep red edges are noted when back lit. A vigorous pour yields a tiny, creamy white head that basically lasts the whole way down. I usually want a large head and good lace from a beer, but this beer looks so good I'm not bothered. The tiny white bubbles cling to the glass and then cascade upwards if the glass is tilted.
It looks like the mouth feel is going to be awesome, sticky body (legs on the glass if swirled) and low carbonation would be my guess.

Smell: Massive aroma, I can smell this from a few meters away. Sweet, sticky preserved figs is the first thing that jumps out at me. Chocolate, plums, old leather, raisins, caramel, brown sugar and dark rum follow closely. Orange liqueur, earthiness, hops and smoke are also noted in smaller quantities.

Taste: Good Lord... and I thought the smell was complex. This is unlike anything I have ever tasted. Initially sweet and fruity, fading into a wonderful lingering hop bitterness. Brown sugar, caramel, figs, plums, chocolate, Christmas pudding, loads of rum, raspberry to name just a few of the flavours. A few more sips yield smoke and a touch of wood. Alcohol is well noted in the mouth, but it plays such a big part in the flavour that its absence would be to the detriment of the beer. The finish is amazing, touches of citrus hops and a superb lingering bitterness (nothing like an IPA, but I can still feel it an hour later).

Mouthfeel: Perfect!!! Full body, viscous and syrupy. Very mild and exceptionally smooth carbonation. This is what I wish every imperial stout / barley wine was like!

Overall: One of the best beers I have had. I will buy this at every opportunity!

A dark black almost stoutlike. a nice thick 2 finger head

S leather figs and roast chocolate. smells great

T out of this world loving this. you have never tasted a leathery beer and said this is amazing but thats exactly what i did here.

M nice and thick. fills the palate and your good to go.

O first beer from HotD and i loved it. I need more right now. So give me some!!!

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Ok, this reviews gonna be a little different compared to my other reviews, so take a seat and relax. So, here's pwoods bringing his 6 year old PC over to fix it for him... We just re-installed a new hard drive and Windows XP - but that's not why you are reading this review.

The new BA trader named bifristguard was kind enough to send a total of 4 x Hair of the Dog beers to me as extras in a recent trade (Holy crap! Cameron - you are amazing!)...

Well, pwoods and I (being the beer geeks that we are) start with the lightest offerings from Hair of the Dog and then work our way up... The first three were very nice and solid, unique example for their stlye - fair enough - but in the end, I may forget about them in the years to come. Moving along, we tear through the first three HotD's with no problem. We write up our brief reviews and move on (unexpectedtly) to Adam - Batch # 55.

The pours goes nice, as a deep ruby/brown mix with an average tan head and lacing... Nice, but no show stopper in the looks department. I then move onto the nose. This is where things begin to change gears... I get a complex mix of alcohol, sweet malts, tobacco, roasted almonds and perhaps some light brandy. Wow! It's time for me to put pwoods PC down and focus on this beer!

Batch # 55 of Adam reminds me of a walk through a dark cave on the way to lost beer treasure. The taste is full and complex with a mix of smokiness, peat moss, earth, alcohol and tobacco. I am a smoker, so naturally tobacco appeals to me... This beer had just the right amount of carbonation, sweetness, big flavor and complexity to make it extremely unique and enjoyable.

My favorite Old Ale to date. Congrats HotD - This is a sublime example of an Old Ale.

I want more!!!

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks dakkon54!

batch 81 (bottled in September 2010).

Pour is a deep, dark opaque brown. Initial half inch head subsides into a small ring.

It smells aged, but not in a bad way. By aged, i mean a dry, sweet grainy smell that I associate with aged beers. Light smoke on the nose, hints of dried dark fruits, and just a bit of tobacco. This thing would pair so well with a good Cedar aged cigar.

The taste has charred wood everywhere. Hints of tobacco and cigar smoke come to mind, but not in a bad way. Theres enough sweet malt to back those cigar box flavors up. The roasted, toasted, and charred malt still dominated, but the body is there--enough to balance out the charcoal taste.

it drinks so smooth and easy. Its definitely 10%, and it drinks like it. Thick and heavy for sure. Lots of booze and dark fruit come somewhere in the middle. I shouldn't be able to drink a 10% like this.

Very, very well done Hair of the Dog.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Pours a murky dark brown color with a billowing tan head that leaves plenty of lacing. I was very careful with my first pour according to the bottle's instructions and got very little head; as I lifted the bottle into the air for a second pour, the head virtually exploded

Smell: Dried dark fruit, tobacco, peat, licorice and a bit of fruity hops; smells almost like red wine

Taste: Swirling this through my mouth I picked up a variety of rather sweet and pungent dark fruit and chocolate flavors on the front end along with a touch of raspberry; after the swallow, some bitter chocolate, licorice, tobacco and coffee flavors kick in and linger well into the finish where they are joined by the smoky peat flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium/heavy bodied with prickly carbonation; very smooth on the tongue

Drinkability: This is a spectacular Old Ale that is well worth the effort it took to seek out here in NC

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

First off - my apologies to Bamadog. I was hoping to split this with him but I couldn't resist giving this a try tonight.

A 12oz 2008 Adam bottle - batch 74.

A-Mostly black with a nice tan head that comes through. The head sticks around for a while. Wow.

S- Smells of plum, raisins, chocolate, faint smell of alcohol

T- Oh my lord this taste is amazing. The chocolate and raisins just come right in along with sweet plums and perhaps even figs? Wow. The alcohol presence is so well masked!

M- Great balanced mouthfeel.

D- The flavor and the balance of alcohol in this beer is remarkable. I paid $5.50 for this in a little shop in Pennsylvania and was taking the recommendation of the owner. He wasn't kidding that this beer is something special. If you can find it and like the Old Ale Style you need to give Adam a whirl.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

12oz bottle into pint glass. Enjoying in the comfort of home. Pours a very dark brown color with hints of ruby around the edges. It's also evident that this brew is rather cloudy. Very thick, foamy light tan two finger head.

Nose: Fig, honey, molasses, cocoa, dark red berries, soy sauce.

Taste: Sweet chocolate, honey, resinous malt, fig, raisin, graham cracker. A bit of booze and tobacco in the finish.

Overall this is a massively complex and rich beer. I loved it. The booze is incredibly well concealed, only coming in ever so slightly in the aftertaste. Moderate carbonation and clean, slightly slick but dry finish. Can't wait to drink another one!

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room