Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Reviews: 999 | Hads: 2,319

*batch 77, 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter*

Subtle hints of brown around the edges are the only thing that keeps me from saying this brew pours black. A one finger, cream-colored head filled the glass quite nicely and then subsided into a thin film which produced some very nice lacing.

The initial aroma is all candied plum and raisin. As it warms, however, oak, leather, grape, subtle hints of sweet pipe tobacco, and even more sweet and fruity aromas that I just can't quite put my finger on begin to come through. Amazing.

Upon my first sip, I notice that although it drinks a lot more sweet than bitter, it's incredibly balanced. There is absolutely nothing out of place. Rich candied fruit, oak, and vanilla are the predominant flavors. Subsequent sips produce leathery, tobacco-like flavors. Alcohol, while detectable, is balanced perfectly in the background. If you haven't had this, believe me when I say, "It works". I'd love to pair this with a great steak.

Mouthfeel is on point. It's full-bodied without feeling like cough medicine or motor oil. Carbonation is perfect. It's neither fizzy nor flat.

This is a fantastic beer. I can't help but think that this would be the perfect brew to get your wine-only friend to finally break on through to the world of craft beer. This beer oozes compelexity and begs to be paired with a great meal. I'll be picking this one up again.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

I sampled batch #53, I'm gonna put one of these guys away and try it again in a year.

Pours syrupy with no head, especially if one follows the directions on the bottle indicating to pour slowly, and I am a sucker for directions on the bottle. Color is incredibly dark brown, completely opaque. Leaves a slight lace as one slowly sips this beer down.

Smell is quite complex and sorting it out completely is above the ability of my paltry nose. I would describe it as a sweet and slightly fruity (think figs, raisins). The enigmatic smell seems to call out drink me, and so I listen.

Overtones of alcohol do not seem to affect the complex flavor, even though you do feel your BA levels rising as you sip this bad boy down. It seems the smell did not lie, as the taste of the beer is itself sweet and slightly fruity (again I'm thinking of figs and raisins), but there seems to be even more to sort out. There is a bitterness which comes initially and seems to be countered immediately by the sweet flavor described earlier. Finally, at the end of the sip one nutty and coffee flavors resonate and the mild bitterness is back.

Easily the most drinkable double digit ABV beer I have had. Not for beginners, like Stone Arrogant Bastard, this beer just wants to kick your ass. My suggestion is to let it.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

First beer review. Might as well start with my one of my favorites.

A 12oz 2008 Adam bottle aged for about six months poured into a large wine glass.

A-Mostly black, with a little reddish tinge. Really dark color. Head was beautiful off-white color. About half of initial pour was head.

S- Great, big smells of plum, lots of plum. Some fig and raisin as well. Lots of dark fruit that just smells fantastic. Some notes of wood and caramel.

T- Wow. Big, blood tastes of dark fruit, chocolate, and woodiness to it. There is some alcohol, which`prevents the flavor from becoming too sweet. So tasty.

M- The first pour had lots of foam, but after the first few sips, great mouthfeel. Heavy, without being overwhelming.

D- Well, it is 10%. You don't really notice the affects until 3/4th through. Wouldn't recommend more then two in a night. Still, very drinkable considering how much flavor and alcohol is in this beer.

What a beer. Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite brewers, and Adam is another reminder of how original and creative they are.

4.87/5  rDev +15.1%

Batch 55. Pours a beautiful reddish cola color. Small but really dense tan head. Dissapated rather quickly. Whoa...what an aroma! Roasted malt, brown sugar, every red fruit I can think of both fresh and dried plus a few others. Mild yeastiness as well. Very earthy, woody and vinuous. Almost like a mild Port. My mouth is watering!
Deeply complex earthy flavor. The roasted malt is really upfront with a mild smokiness. The red and other fruits come in with some molasses and a smidge of licorice. Big hop presence helps to balance along with a slightly tart yeast aftertaste.The 10% alcohol is present but not in a bad way. It all melds together rather well. Definitly a vinuous character here. I'll have to try this with a good cigar. Has the potential for a match made in heaven!
Rich, creamy, full mouthfeel with excellent carbonation. The alcohol and richness hurt the drinkability a bit, but a world class beer nonetheless. I really liked this beer.
I didn't know they had trappist breweries in Oregon!

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Batch 77.

A wet, wood smell hits me first, which quickly gives way to a thick, fig/raisin scent.

Adam pours dark but bubbly, carbonation bubbles evident throughout the glass. Little head dissipates quickly.

For all of the carbonation bubbles, the mouthfeel is deceptively smooth.

The taste...this is the stuff. A dark roasted chocolate cake/chocolate truffle taste that gives way to a smooth smokiness.

This beer deserves it's spot. It's a dark smooth beer that starts with a chocolate cake taste and ends with smoky finish. I could drink a bomber of this easy.

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow, that is about all I can say about this one. This was one of the best beers I have ever had, hands down. I don’t even know where to begin on this one. Lets just start from the top. Poured a very deep dark brown with a big three finger plus head of tan lace and just a really full overall look. This was really nice looking with tons of residual side glass lace and a sticky foam top that would not quit. The aroma was wonderful, full of sweet smells of caramel, sugar, chocolate and nuts, with a nice hop essence in the back. I am not sure what the style of this is, but the flavor was robust and full. Very nutty with a decidedly caramelesque sugar to it and a really great fresh, and dry hop like finish. There were hints of chocolate and coffee throughout, but not enough to make it rely totally on those. Such a very full bodied feel, very creamy and rich. This was a magnificent bottle and one that I was really glad I got to try. It really was different than almost anything I had had before and I look forward to one day getting another to compare. And for reference this was batch number 68, and it was fantastic!

4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

Holy crap, this one came out of nowhere for me. I mean, I knew it was good, but didn't quite grasp what planet this beer lived on. And the planet is good, believe me.

Pour is deep brown, near black color. Floating sinking yeast. Huge white head that leaves nice lacing. Near perfect to look at.

Aroma is big! Chocolate, roasted malt, light cookies, dried fruit, light smoke. Some spiciness. Complex and beautiful.

Flavor is huge chocolate, roasted malt. Smoke in there, along with a hint of bacon. Just a hint of booze, which is remarkable given the ABV. Delicious flavor. Oak, vanilla and molasses. Rich as hell.

Body is full as hell, creamy and delicious.

This one seriously knocked me on my ass, both from the incredible flavor and the booziness that stuck with me. Definitely a sipper, but one that'll keep you happy for a long while. Wish I could find this in DC.

12oz bottle (batch 84) poured into New Belgium snifter

A- Poured fairly slowly resulting in huge 3 finger frosting-like off-white head persistent head. Really sticky lacing. Very dark, but held to the light you can see some red.

S- Dark fruits, toffee, leather, chocolate. Not getting much alcohol. Wonderful.

T- Incredible. So complex with all of the different notes I am getting. Dark fruits, leather, toffee, and lingering dark chocolate and warm booziness.

M- So creamy. Surprising medium carbonation lends itself to a creamy mouthfeel. A delight to drink.

O- I have had this beer many times in the bottle and on tap at the brewery. This is one of my favorite beers of all time and snag one whenever I see it. I have never been patient enough to age this one. One of few beers that truly is a journey once you crack the cap.

355ml bottle 10,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in a tulip wine glass.
Batch 79

Appearance: Adam pours an exceptionally dark, opaque brown. Deep red edges are noted when back lit. A vigorous pour yields a tiny, creamy white head that basically lasts the whole way down. I usually want a large head and good lace from a beer, but this beer looks so good I'm not bothered. The tiny white bubbles cling to the glass and then cascade upwards if the glass is tilted.
It looks like the mouth feel is going to be awesome, sticky body (legs on the glass if swirled) and low carbonation would be my guess.

Smell: Massive aroma, I can smell this from a few meters away. Sweet, sticky preserved figs is the first thing that jumps out at me. Chocolate, plums, old leather, raisins, caramel, brown sugar and dark rum follow closely. Orange liqueur, earthiness, hops and smoke are also noted in smaller quantities.

Taste: Good Lord... and I thought the smell was complex. This is unlike anything I have ever tasted. Initially sweet and fruity, fading into a wonderful lingering hop bitterness. Brown sugar, caramel, figs, plums, chocolate, Christmas pudding, loads of rum, raspberry to name just a few of the flavours. A few more sips yield smoke and a touch of wood. Alcohol is well noted in the mouth, but it plays such a big part in the flavour that its absence would be to the detriment of the beer. The finish is amazing, touches of citrus hops and a superb lingering bitterness (nothing like an IPA, but I can still feel it an hour later).

Mouthfeel: Perfect!!! Full body, viscous and syrupy. Very mild and exceptionally smooth carbonation. This is what I wish every imperial stout / barley wine was like!

Overall: One of the best beers I have had. I will buy this at every opportunity!

A dark black almost stoutlike. a nice thick 2 finger head

S leather figs and roast chocolate. smells great

T out of this world loving this. you have never tasted a leathery beer and said this is amazing but thats exactly what i did here.

M nice and thick. fills the palate and your good to go.

O first beer from HotD and i loved it. I need more right now. So give me some!!!

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

Ok, this reviews gonna be a little different compared to my other reviews, so take a seat and relax. So, here's pwoods bringing his 6 year old PC over to fix it for him... We just re-installed a new hard drive and Windows XP - but that's not why you are reading this review.

The new BA trader named bifristguard was kind enough to send a total of 4 x Hair of the Dog beers to me as extras in a recent trade (Holy crap! Cameron - you are amazing!)...

Well, pwoods and I (being the beer geeks that we are) start with the lightest offerings from Hair of the Dog and then work our way up... The first three were very nice and solid, unique example for their stlye - fair enough - but in the end, I may forget about them in the years to come. Moving along, we tear through the first three HotD's with no problem. We write up our brief reviews and move on (unexpectedtly) to Adam - Batch # 55.

The pours goes nice, as a deep ruby/brown mix with an average tan head and lacing... Nice, but no show stopper in the looks department. I then move onto the nose. This is where things begin to change gears... I get a complex mix of alcohol, sweet malts, tobacco, roasted almonds and perhaps some light brandy. Wow! It's time for me to put pwoods PC down and focus on this beer!

Batch # 55 of Adam reminds me of a walk through a dark cave on the way to lost beer treasure. The taste is full and complex with a mix of smokiness, peat moss, earth, alcohol and tobacco. I am a smoker, so naturally tobacco appeals to me... This beer had just the right amount of carbonation, sweetness, big flavor and complexity to make it extremely unique and enjoyable.

My favorite Old Ale to date. Congrats HotD - This is a sublime example of an Old Ale.

I want more!!!

4.84/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks dakkon54!

batch 81 (bottled in September 2010).

Pour is a deep, dark opaque brown. Initial half inch head subsides into a small ring.

It smells aged, but not in a bad way. By aged, i mean a dry, sweet grainy smell that I associate with aged beers. Light smoke on the nose, hints of dried dark fruits, and just a bit of tobacco. This thing would pair so well with a good Cedar aged cigar.

The taste has charred wood everywhere. Hints of tobacco and cigar smoke come to mind, but not in a bad way. Theres enough sweet malt to back those cigar box flavors up. The roasted, toasted, and charred malt still dominated, but the body is there--enough to balance out the charcoal taste.

it drinks so smooth and easy. Its definitely 10%, and it drinks like it. Thick and heavy for sure. Lots of booze and dark fruit come somewhere in the middle. I shouldn't be able to drink a 10% like this.

Very, very well done Hair of the Dog.

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Pours a murky dark brown color with a billowing tan head that leaves plenty of lacing. I was very careful with my first pour according to the bottle's instructions and got very little head; as I lifted the bottle into the air for a second pour, the head virtually exploded

Smell: Dried dark fruit, tobacco, peat, licorice and a bit of fruity hops; smells almost like red wine

Taste: Swirling this through my mouth I picked up a variety of rather sweet and pungent dark fruit and chocolate flavors on the front end along with a touch of raspberry; after the swallow, some bitter chocolate, licorice, tobacco and coffee flavors kick in and linger well into the finish where they are joined by the smoky peat flavors

Mouthfeel: Medium/heavy bodied with prickly carbonation; very smooth on the tongue

Drinkability: This is a spectacular Old Ale that is well worth the effort it took to seek out here in NC

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

First off - my apologies to Bamadog. I was hoping to split this with him but I couldn't resist giving this a try tonight.

A 12oz 2008 Adam bottle - batch 74.

A-Mostly black with a nice tan head that comes through. The head sticks around for a while. Wow.

S- Smells of plum, raisins, chocolate, faint smell of alcohol

T- Oh my lord this taste is amazing. The chocolate and raisins just come right in along with sweet plums and perhaps even figs? Wow. The alcohol presence is so well masked!

M- Great balanced mouthfeel.

D- The flavor and the balance of alcohol in this beer is remarkable. I paid $5.50 for this in a little shop in Pennsylvania and was taking the recommendation of the owner. He wasn't kidding that this beer is something special. If you can find it and like the Old Ale Style you need to give Adam a whirl.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

12oz bottle into pint glass. Enjoying in the comfort of home. Pours a very dark brown color with hints of ruby around the edges. It's also evident that this brew is rather cloudy. Very thick, foamy light tan two finger head.

Nose: Fig, honey, molasses, cocoa, dark red berries, soy sauce.

Taste: Sweet chocolate, honey, resinous malt, fig, raisin, graham cracker. A bit of booze and tobacco in the finish.

Overall this is a massively complex and rich beer. I loved it. The booze is incredibly well concealed, only coming in ever so slightly in the aftertaste. Moderate carbonation and clean, slightly slick but dry finish. Can't wait to drink another one!

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

My cellar continues to amaze me with what is down there! This is a Batch 55 bottle with Batch 81 currently on the shelf at Pinocchio's. This will be a pleasant continuation to the day (I hope).

From the bottle: "Hair of the Dog brewing company produces bottle conditioned beers which improve with age. We are dedicated to providing the beer lover with new and unusual beer styles. The sediment you see is normal to the bottle conditioned process. Pour slowly to allow sediment to remain in the bottle."; "This ale is top fermented and cold conditioned to give it a rich and mellow smoothness. The unique garnet color is derived from specially roasted barley and the intense hop profile is provided by the use of only the finest whole hop flowers."

Needless to say, I can read and follow directions, so I used a very gentle slow pour. I got a most impressive dense finger of light-tan head in spite of my low-key pour and it had great retention! Nose was quite vinous, reminiscent of a dry red wine. Color was a deep dark-brown with garnet highlights and NE-quality clarity. Mouthfeel was relatively full with a lot of carbonation in evidence. My initial mouthful was somewhat hot, giving way to a tawny port-like taste. Wow! I am not a wine guy, but my uncle has been into wine for twenty-five years or so and I have had some exposure to it. The dryness of the finish was gasping in its intensity. I did not experience the hops mentioned on the label, nor did I really get much in the way of maltiness. Instead, this would probably stack up well against a sherry or a port. I am really impressed and will have to get some new vintages for storing. Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Finally, the lacing looked as though it would take a jackhammer to remove.

4.82/5  rDev +13.9%

Incredible beer. I had at on tap at Hair of the Dog while doing the tour and brought a bottle home. The bottle has more smoke that non tap, both are woody with a lot of alcohol in the nose. The 10% ABV is less noticable in the taste but still there. Very "hearty" as per the label, leather and figs, and lots of dark fruit. The smoke mellows as it warms, so I think I drank it too cold but was unfortunately in a rush drinking it in the hotel and unable to bring it on the plane. Great lace, strong smoke. Alan Sprints, the brewer, said the style is between an alt and a rauchbier. Brewed in memory of friend and brewer Adam Kerchival. Great beer--go get a bottle.

4.81/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It pours a dark, dark brown with a very thin, white head. It smells fantastic. It smells like it was bourbon barrel aged, although it wasn't. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, leather, tobacco, figs. It tastes more chocolaty than it smells. It has a molasses feel and flavor. It is sweetness upfront, but that is very nicely balanced with a good amount of bitterness.

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Batch #67, 12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass, Adam is dark, deep ruby, almost black. The head is thick and creamy, tan colored and two fingers tall. This looks a lot like a stout. Working my way down, the side of the glass is almost entirely coated in creamy foam or large spots of lace. Not what I think of for an old ale, but really nice.
The aroma is very rich malt, figs and some caramel.
The taste very malty and distinctly smoky. I was not expecting this, but it works really well here. There is a pleasant, slightly fruity sweetness of of fig and grape, as well as molasses. The hops are lost in the intense richness of the malt, with just a bit of bitterness on the finish, which suits me perfectly - I'm getting sick of these crazy bitter strong ales that need 3 years to be drinkable. There's also a warming booziness that is clean and not at all fuselly, giving my cheeks a pleasant glow.
The mouthfeel is rich and creamy but not to heavy, and is in keeping with it's RIS like appearance.
The drinkability is dangerously high, as this is a phenomenal brew and much stronger then it seems. I only had one in this sitting though, so my score reflects how much it left me wanting, rather then a testament to be able to easily drink a sixer of them.
All in all, another masterful offering from Hair of the Dog, with a great name that I'm happy to share as my own! I'd love to grab some more of these to cellar, but holding off on them would be a very difficult test!

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I've been wanting to try this one for years. Old Ale's are a crazy style having huge range of taste. I've loved some, hated some. Let's see where this one stands.

Dark almost black color with the slightest hints of red. Foamy tan head, mimimal lace. Looking good so far, the old ales i've really liked are the darker ones.

Smell of dark fruits, figs. Some roasted malt and a hint of chocolate. Again this is a crazy style that you never know what you are going to get. This one is a cross between barley wine and RIS.

Full chewy body with some alcohol burn on the finish but it dosn't become cloying.

This one didn't let me down. An excellent brew that exceeded my expectations. This style is still a surprise every time I have one, but it is a pleasant surpise more often than not.

4.79/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Batch 79 bottle into a tulip, bottled January 2010.

A - great, an opaque brown with very billowy, mocha head that lingers pretty well.

S - great again. Very fruity compared to some batches I've had, strong fig notes. Also noticeable leather and tobacco, more tobacco than leather. Less sweet than Adam from the Wood smells, for instance, but some noticeable toffee. All-around excellent.

T - fantastic. Lots of fig with some dark, sweet cherry notes. Rich maduro tobacco and a bit more sweetness than the smell, largely goes with the fruit. Despite the sweetness I wouldn't call it a sweet beer - it's more of a richness, with enough bitterness to balance it out. It has the caramelization of a good toffee but without all the sugar. The aftertaste is more along the leather side. The richness and complexity of the best quads but without the Belgian yeast, giving it a character all its own. Really great and amazingly different from the Wood version, even, but you can tell that the Wood version evolved from this.

M - a little less full than I would like. The 3-year old bottle is well-carbonated but not fizzy. It's not thin by any stretch but with the richness of the flavor, it could use just a bit more body. Having had many bottles/drafts of this, I know it varies some.

One of my favorite beers, just finally took the time to review it. Wonderful for anyone who likes a rich, complex beer/old ale/quad. A great beer fresh or with plenty of age, along with its variants.

4.78/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: This pours chestnut with a 3” tan head that perches up above the glass rim and hugs the side of the glass.
S: Malt, roast, and dark fruit on the nose.
T: Starts with very lightly sweetened chocolate and develops more coffee flavors as it moves through the mouth culminating in lingering dark bitter chocolate and dark coffee aftertastes.
F: Chewy and soft in the mouth with average carbonation.
O: This is an excellent, very well made beer.

4.78/5  rDev +13%

Been hanging on to this one for a while since getting it in a trade a while back from msubulldog25.

Felt the urge to finally break it out and enjoy it- and that, I did tonight.

Poured into an oversized chalice.

Batch #69

A: Dark red and pretty close to black in color. Dark mocha head that stayed substantial and the lacing was gripping.

By the way, love the look of HotD bottles, classy stuff.

N: Coffee, smoky, and chocolate. The alcohol is not hiding, this one is going to pack a wallop. A hint of raisins, more in the taste, but clearly dominated by smoke and dark chocolate.

T: On first sip, it reminds me exactly of figgy date pudding I had recently. Warming vanilla and strong fruits. As it warmed, the alcohol became more present and soothing- smokiness came through clutch and chocolate. Lots of chocolate.

Complexity is through the roof, well crafted. This is a barleywine, especially when the wafts and hits of licorice as it goes down. The smokiness is more in the aftertaste than the initial flavor.

M: Creamy, thick mouthfeel. Full bodied indeed- definition of creamy to the point of a thick root beer float. Warming alcohol in the drawn out smooth finish.

D: Great stuff. Complex as can be and delicious. The alcohol will catch up, but this sipper is a gem. Not at all too sweet but the right levels of most things- old ale? if so, still tremendous but seems more of a BW.

Hair of the Dog is just flat out great- I wish I had better access to this stuff. Just remarkable.

I eagerly want more of this beer and the others from these guys, whatever way possible. Hell, I might be moving to Portland soon.

Batch 74.

Pours a near-black hue with garnet highlights. Beige head laces beautifully and retains well.

Aroma is fantastic: big maltiness, with notes of chocolate, fig and tobacco.

Flavor is quite simply amazing. This is a huge malt bomb that occupies rarefied territory somewhere between barleywine, doppelbock, quad and strong ale. There is a big roasty, chocolatey flavor from the dark specialty malts, along with ripe yet dark fruity flavors thanks to the extensive malt bill, or so I'd imagine (would love to get my hands on this recipe!). There is a touch of earthy hops on the finish, adding to the extraordinarily well-balanced character of this beer. The alcohol is only noticeable in warmth during the drink, not in flavor. Mouthfeel is very chewy and thick.

Truly outstanding. My head floated away in malt-lover ecstasy as I drank this. A near perfect beer.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoying this special beer on a snowy February night, in honor of my brother by the same name, who is celebrating his 19th birthday.

Batch #77. Adam is served slightly chilled in a goblet. It has a very dark brown hue with good clarity seen as it is poured. No head is produced even though I pour it straight into the middle of the glass. I'm careful to leave the sediment in the bottle.

Aroma is immediately evident even before I life the glass to take a wiff. It's wonderfully complex with brown sugar sweetness, some cocoa, figs, and leather.

Flavor is off-the-charts bold but somehow manages to be very smooth at the same time. Each small sip totally coats the palate but it isn't cloying. Just a huge wonderful old ale. It has chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, tobacco, and dark fruits all coming together.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, silky smooth, and very low in carbonation. It's perfectly balanced and has great depth of flavor. This particular bottle has been aging for about three and a half years so it has had a good amount of time to mellow. I can't imagine it getting much better with another year or two.

Overall an outstanding old ale, one of the best I've ever had. Cheers to Adam and my awesome brother.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room