1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Ratings: 1929

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,929 | Reviews: 962 | Show All Ratings:
bwyker

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%

I must admit, I’ve had some bad HOTD experiences as of late. I don’t know if I got a few bottles from some systematic problem they’ve had at the brewery or what, but all seem to have signs of infection or too much oxygen in the brewing. The only exception to this was Fred and the outstanding Fred from the Wood (ratebeer release). Both were very good.

This one is a 12 oz bottle from batch 60. Pours a mud brown with hues of mahogany and dirty white foam that forms about a half-inch head on the first pour and lasts for quite a while. The smell is a powerful earthy dirt-like smell, with hints of cardboard. Unpleasant smell matched in the unpleasant taste. Mouthfeel is chalky. Completely undrinkable – dumped it.

Again, another bad experience. I, however, want to point out that I don’t know for sure if it’s a bad batch or just extremely overrated and overpriced crap in a bottle.

10-11-2006 22:33:49 | More by bwyker
rousee

1.9/5  rDev -55.5%

Batch 59

Hate to slam a beer but here it is. The pour is actually an encouraging murky brown-chocolate color with plenty of carbonation. It goes downhill from there though. The smell is a vinous, boozy mess of dark chocolate and cherries with just way too much vinous character.

Taste is dark malts and extremely vinous --some depth as it warms. Metallic aftertaste which is especially undesireable for an old ale. Very disapointing-especially since this brewery was in American Beer--the movie--I'm dumpin it.

03-04-2006 23:12:04 | More by rousee
mattcrill

2.03/5  rDev -52.5%

I'm assuming that I just don't get this beer. I'm not going to slam it but this isn't my style. I've only had a few barleywines and this is my first old ale to date. This will probably be my only old ale forever unless someone can convince me otherwise. Thanks to beerski for the chance to increase my BA-dom while sampling this. Part of my quest is figuring out what I DON'T like. This definitely fits in to that category.

Appearance: Brown with ruby edges. A tan chunky head. Looks like a porter in the glass. Again, I have no baseline for comparison.

Smell: Smoky, malty with alcohol being the prominent smell. A hint of licorice but alcohol dominates.

Taste: Plums, smoke, with a woody and earthy finish. Alcohol is present throughtout and dominating the other tastes that are trying to fit in.

Mouthfeel: Thick and heavy like a cough syrup.

Drinkability and overall: Definitely suffers due to the alcohol taste. I have to admit, this is the first beer that ended up down the drain. It got worse with each subsequent sip. Totally ruined my taste for any beer the rest of the day. I would avoid it. Not a good beer.

09-08-2004 01:16:02 | More by mattcrill
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.13/5  rDev -50.1%

Batch 61

Poured into the glass(after I lost some on initial opening) with a huge off-white head, this is some very dark stuff, bordering on black.

The smell has some fruit notes to it but the dominating aroma I get reminds me of antiseptic.

The taste is a real hodgepodge of not so good flavours that is dominated by the antiseptic that I mentioned in the smell followed closely by a bitter-sour attack that leaves my taste buds in total disarray.

This one is not for me.

11-05-2005 19:21:06 | More by Bitterbill
charlesw

2.28/5  rDev -46.6%

Huh. The site calls it (right now. Ha!) an old ale. I guess... That fits as well as any other style. Funny thing is... We're to review by style but the style can change at any minute! Anyway, reviewing as an old ale, I guess...

It's a beautiful beer. I hold it up to the light (and my kids hold up their milk) and no light shines through. Nice thick and creamy dark head with good lasting power. Smells malty and creamy and caramel and bandaids. Tastes malty and thick and creamy and sweet and fruit and caramel and (faintly) bandaids. Big in the mouth and I couldn't drink another of these if you paid me to.

01-24-2008 01:32:58 | More by charlesw
SolomonGrundy

2.4/5  rDev -43.8%

OK, this is painfully bizarre. Pours with absolutely no head, a dark, almost opaque mahogany. Obviously no lacing. Aromas of dark chocolate with bacon - maybe honey roast pork. Figs, medjool dates. Weirdness....Flavor is crazy bitter, and bourbon-y. Lots of alcohol (10% ABV)...Is this supposed to be this strange? It's like a train wreck in a bottle. Hard to say if I like it, and I probably shouldn't, but I keep sippin'. Not cheap, either. Not worth it folks. Look elsewhere unless you are into very strange things.

09-08-2010 04:08:51 | More by SolomonGrundy
jrallen34

2.45/5  rDev -42.6%

Tasting with AgentZero.

12oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

Pours dark brown with almost no carbonation on the pour or when swirling...The aroma is very strong dark fruits, grain alcohol, wood. A little to strong of alcohol, not super, doesn't make you want to taste it...The taste is not good, super strong of wood, bitter alcohol, maybe licorice. The feel is super light, not very drinkable at all.

Overall, this is not a good beer, not one to search out.

06-26-2010 20:31:25 | More by jrallen34
Derranged

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

Batch # 80, 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Dark brownish black with a HUGE light brown head. This was a very live beer, the head stuck around for a while.

S- A bit harsh at first but then weakens. Very complex aroma of heavy booze, raisins, leather, and chocolate.

T- Harsh. Very boozy with a leather-like smoky chemical-solvent kerosene flavor, backed up by faint chocolaty raisins. Strange bitter after taste. Its 10% abv but this thing drank more like a 20. I was literally sweating after a few sips.

M- Very thick and syrupy with low carbonation. Lips numb.

O- Couldn't finish. This beer just didn't work for me at all. The tasted faded a bit as I drank more but still, not good. Every sip was a chore. I had to pour it out which I really do not like doing. Undrinkable.

08-16-2011 03:00:06 | More by Derranged
GolgiIPAratus

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled: 2.3.07

First off, this thing overflowed molten-like foam for what really should’ve been no outside reason. It had been sitting upright in my DBF for over a week, simply transported to the living room and placed on a side table, and then actually left alone there for about 5 or 6 minutes. But when I cracked it, it spewed forth in abundance. Of course, I hadn’t expected this, so I was returning the bottle opener to the kitchen when my wife alerted me to the impending mess on the floor. I was half way between spill site and paper towel rack, and I made my decision. And by the time I got back with the paper towels, it was too late. Too much sugar and/or yeast added for the bottle conditioning perhaps? Anyway, after that set up, you’d think this thing had a monster head when I finally poured it, right? Wrong. Practically nil. A mere ring around the edge and no lacing to speak of. The beer itself was a dark chocolate brown with reddish hues. The color alone is what saved it from flatline mediocrity.

Ok, the aroma. Quite interesting. It’s earthy right off the bat. Heavy, heavy raw tobacco up front. Leathery and roasted malts perk up a bit, and after some warming prunes make an appearance. Not too enticing, for my tastes. Interesting nonetheless.

Tastes is really leathery , and more tobacco, though this time, more of the smokey variety punch you in the mouth. Dark malts mingle in an alt-like atmosphere, all within a fairly hoppy profile that hangs through out and offers a light bitterness upon swallow. These complex flavors hide any alcohol content that quite honestly surprised me when I found out what it was. I didn’t feel it at all. The beer is highly carbonated, but still no head, and it leaves oily traces along the tongue.

The drinkability is low for me, as the flavor was just too rich with the tobacco & leather. Maybe this would be a good beer to sip with a cigar, but it isn’t for me. It’s tough to rate this too low, as there is certainly a complexity about it. Personal tastes, obviously, heavily influence my lower scores, but ultimately, this is a unique brew that smokey beer lovers should try.

02-05-2007 18:04:10 | More by GolgiIPAratus
tewaris

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

This is my first review of any HotD beer and 100th unique brewer. 12 oz. (Batch 80) sent by cb462 as an extra. Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

Deep, dark mahogany with a good and creamy textured khaki-brown head. Medium head retention and ok lacing. Good for its kind. Aroma is sweet malts, hint of smoke, some dried fruit. Certainly leather. No booze. Very generic, however, especially because it's so mute.

Tastes disappointing :/ I had high hopes and I am feeling let down. I can see the potential but it seems too rough. Some sweetness with a biting earthy bitterness, roast, and over the top astringent character. Medium finish with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is above average with understated carbonation and a medium body. Overall though, it drinks more like a blend of a barleywine and Old Rasputin, than a barleywine on its own. I don't like it.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 3/5; Taste 2.5/5; Mouthfeel 3.5/5; Overall 3/5

08-24-2011 08:08:11 | More by tewaris
MisterClean

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bought somewhere in Oregon for me. Batch 71.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost black. Beautiful mocha or capuccino color head. Head has lots of protein chunks, dissipates very slow, and leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Malts, ginger, spice, flowers, bittersweet chocolate, a leathery pungency, and light alcohol.

T - Chocolate, lots of licorice, almost leathery. Moderate alcohol.

M - Very intense and sharp tasting. When I drink a home brew like this, I know it needs to age longer.

D - The flavors need to settle. Slightly acute in taste, the alcohol has almost a dominating flavor. The bottles really need to age at least a year or more before it becomes a good beer.

I will probably re-review this in a year or so. BATCH 71 NEEDS TO AGE ANOTHER YEAR!!!

10-13-2008 15:58:51 | More by MisterClean
AgentZero

3.03/5  rDev -29%

At a tasting with jrallen34.

A - Pours a dark mohagany color with pretty much know head. Looks somewhat intimidating just sitting there with litle activity, but not a whole lot going on with it.

S - A sharp, lighter sweetness with the caramel malts. Dark fruit and a surprising hops bite on the end of this. Little bit of alcohol burn on there as well.

T - Not as good as it smells. A lot of licorice and some dark fruit. Very heavy malts and something that tastes burnt, like wood or maybe even barley? Touch of brown sugar, but it's overpoweringly burnt and fairly disappointing.

M - Under carbonated, almost flat. Full bodied.

D - Hard to drink due to the pungent tastes and the high abv. Had trouble splitting the bottle.

06-26-2010 20:34:28 | More by AgentZero
DavoleBomb

3.03/5  rDev -29%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Batch 76, which I believe is a 2010 vintage.

2.0 A: Dark brown color. No head at all. None. Not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless.

3.5 S: Loads of tobacco and raisin. Date, fig, and prune after that. Sweet toffee and caramel. Minor notes of oxidation. This smells pretty good despite no carbonation. It'd proabably be amazing with some.

3.5 T: Tobacco and rum raisin kick this off. Dates, figs, prunes, toffee, and plenty of caramel. Basically the same as the nose. Again, some sherry-like oxidation. Same as the nose. Would be much tastier with carbonation.

1.5 M: Heavier medium body. Not fully flat, but whatever is the lowest detectable amount In any case, it ruins whatever creaminess this had in store.

2.5 D: I think this could be a damn good beer if it was allowed to be. As it stands, it's at the lower end of average. With carbonation, I could see this easily breaking the 4s. But, I won't know tonight. I've been having nothing been trouble with b-wines from the cellar and their carbonation lately. It's starting to grow tiresome.

01-22-2012 05:49:35 | More by DavoleBomb
redmagik99

3.08/5  rDev -27.9%

Got a bottle of batch 68 from New Beer in NYC for 4.25. The color was really interesting - very dark, but not black as a stout. More like a very dark red. you could see a brighter red tint in the light, kind of like wine. nice head that remained for a while. i couldnt get much of a smell for some reason - maybe because i was in an indian restaurant when i cracked it open. this was my first old ale and it was nothing like anything ive had before. the blurb on the bottle was spot on when it said its been compared to figs and leather. craziness..also very raisony, and some smokiness and bitter coffee beans. as complex as it was, these flavors did not all seem to mix seemlessly. it exploded in my mouth but caused some damage. shared a bottle with a nice girl and it was very hard to finish for both of us but this was probably because we had just ate a huge meal and a bottle of southampton grand cru. nevertheless i still couldnt see this one going down easy. my bottom line for this beer is that it desparately needs some age. i know HOTD does that anyway to their brews, but this one especially needs to sit in the corner and think things over for a long time. If you own or are soon going to purchase batch 68 of Adam please do yourself and the beer a favor and let it age for at least another year or two.

12-08-2007 20:56:39 | More by redmagik99
bobsy

Ontario (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

Bottle shared by Eric - cheers fella!

Rich brown pour with just under a finger of off-white head. Some lace spots as it drops to a film. Nice aroma combines brown sugar, earth, alcohol, dates and a hint of leather. Real nice and intriguing. Flavour not so much. Smoke, leather and ink make for an interesting beer, but do nothing for me, and I find the taste slightly unpleasant, which is surprising as I usually dig old ales. The elements I do like are present (Dark fruits, brown sugar, warming alcohol), but they're interrupted to often to gain any traction. Certainly the most leathery tasting beer I've had, and maybe I just don't get it. Body and mouthfeel is more or less where it should be for the style, with a heavy weight and restrained carbonation.

I've not had much success with Hair of the Dog, and I struggle to see the basis for their great reputation. This made for an interesting beer, but interesting isn't always good.

06-17-2010 13:35:21 | More by bobsy
CascadeConan

Washington

Poured into a snifter

A - Very deep brown bordering on black, minimal head composed of big nonuniform bubbles, zero lacing.

S - Leather, magic marker, tobacco, bourbon, oak, port, figs, plums and alcohol. No trace of what I know to be hops and a bizarre characteristic from the malt that I'm not familiar with.

T - Taste is exactly like the smell: leather, magic maker, dark fruits, tobacco and bourbon. Kind of sweet but all of those flavors come through really strong.

M - Medium with zero carbonation, isn't very enticing.

D - I honestly didn't know what to expect going into this beer and I'm perplexed coming out the other side. Really overwhelming and distinct flavors coming out of this, a lot of characteristics that I would not associate with beer at all. Maybe I'm a noob and I don't know what to expect from the style but from what I've read it lives up to every aspect. If I ever have this again I'll split with at least 4 people interested in drinking a cigarette stuffed puree of Fonzie's jacket.

09-25-2010 06:20:31 | More by CascadeConan
KYFriedChildren

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%

Bought this bottle at the wonderful Pinocchio's Beer Garden. (Not aged, presumably bottled in 2010).

Appearance- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a regular pint glass. Pours out of the bottle dark and settles in the glass dark but I didn't get any sort of head. Basically just a thick looking almost black old ale sitting in my pint glass, kind of looked flat.

Smell- Smelled highly of dark fruits. I get the most tremendous whiff of plum. Also a bit figgy and sweet. There is also the lingering smell of alcohol which is understandable with a ten percent brew.

Taste- High on the alcohol, burns a bit going down to be honest. The dark fruitiness is there but it seemed overpowered by the alcohol. It's possible that it might be a little more palatable with some time on it.

Mouthfeel- I don't think that I have a sensitive tongue or anything and I felt the burn of the alcohol while it was sitting in my mouth. I did think the thickness felt kind of ideal for an old ale though.

Drinkability- I would have a hard time drinking one of these. I would also have as hard time standing after drinking more than one of these. A little too much alcohol burn for my taste, will have to try it aged.

10-09-2010 06:07:51 | More by KYFriedChildren
chugalug06

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

A - pour is subtle. Head is nice straw color. Brew is nice deep purple.

S - Super vanilla. Lots of wood funk too! Perhaps a little mango or papaya?

T - Lots of dark oakey flavor... Very deep and pulling. Lots going on on this brew. Can't really put my finger on any of it though...

M - Lots of HEAT! Minimal carbonation and very bitter (slightly licorice) after taste.

O - A mild mess of a brew... There's a TON of flavor, but it's very hard to differentiate... Worth trying and finding, but I would let it sit for a LONG time! I hope to upgrade this review in time.

07-13-2011 04:18:10 | More by chugalug06
shleepy

3.15/5  rDev -26.2%

Small bottle from K&L (Redwood City), poured into a snifter glass.

A: Black, or at least very, very dark brown. Creamy, tan head, with good retention.

S: Roastiness, leather, rubber.

T: Caramel, raisins, something burned that I can't quite put my finger on. There's a little sourness that shines through, which I like. A little roastiness and a bitterness remain in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Heavy-bodied but not a completely slow-sipper. For some reason, left me with a dry mouth... but maybe that was caused by something else.

O: Interesting and complex, but not something I'd buy again.

04-01-2012 22:05:43 | More by shleepy
JamnesCameron

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, inky black with a light tan creamy head that drops to a thin wisp, with some lacing.

Aromas of dark fruits, prunes, figs, rum raisins, some anise, and a hint of mint.

Flavors of tobacco, anise, mint, barnyard. No hop flavors to speak of. Finish is short, but tobacco flavor lingers on.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, malty.

Not my cup of tea. Had this years ago. Trying it again, but not really digging it.

03-05-2011 03:46:46 | More by JamnesCameron
Sean9689

3.18/5  rDev -25.5%

12oz bottle, Batch #84, into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours dark brown, huge frothy kaki-colored head, sticky lace, big cap.

S - Sweet dark fruits, oak, booze. Not quite as sweet as I was expecting. The oak and booze are pretty powerful at this point, it's obvious to me I should have aged this bottle a bit more.

T - Dark fruits, big oak, some char notes, astringent, and a bit medicinal. The booze isn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Finish is medicinal notes, and oak'd dark fruit.

M - Full, perhaps a touch too much carbonation for me, dry oak finish.

O - Now I know to age my bottles of Adam for quite some time before digging into them. I've had several from the late 90's that were mind-blowing, but fresh, this isn't my cup o' tea.

05-11-2012 03:15:50 | More by Sean9689
nhindian

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

Batch 76. Hair of the Dog offers a vintage guide to date their various batches of Adam, but it mysteriously stops after batch 59... The trend so far is that they brew roughly 5 batches a year, so this was probably bottled in 2005 or somewhere around that.

A - I began pouring this gently to keep the bottle conditioned yeast in the bottle, but after I didn't see ANY head activity, I tried to do it a bit harder. All my effort was in vain, however, as there is absolutely no head or carbonation to be seen here. It actually gives some still lambics a run for their money. Retention, therefore, is not applicable, and the lacing is invisible as well. There are some slight alcohol legs making their presence known, though! The body itself is a dark brown mixed with purple.

S - Thankfully the smell is better than the appearance. There's a good amount of alcohol solvency in here, but for the most part it's covered by dark fruits, tobacco, chocolate and caramel malts. The tobacco even leads to some slight smokiness, and it gives hints of burnt brown sugar.

T - The flavors are definitely a branch of the nose, albeit a bit more simple and even watered down. It starts with a boozy, rum-soaked raisin flavor, before quickly transitioning to wet tobacco and earthiness. The smoky qualities return here, although they are not as enticing as in the nose and is more of a nuisance. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate and caramel, before turning to an almost acrid, solvent alcohol burn.

M - The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. It's completely flat and still, and while the beer is cold it doesn't detract too much, but when this beer hits room temperature, the feel of this beer plummets. It's flavors are too syrupy to deal with without some carbonation, and it just seems to sit on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I was really looking forward to this beer, and although I've heard of Hair of the Dog's carbonation problems, this was my first beer from them. It's a shame it is still as I definitely think this beer would be tasty with some carbonation. If this is on tap around you, check it out, but at the price they charge around me for a bottle, it's just too much risk to try again.

Rating: 2/3.5/2.5/1/2.5
---

I was sent another bottle of this since my first one was obviously off. Thanks a ton, msubulldog25 for this! I will average the scores for the overall ranking,

Batch #81.

A - Right away the appearance is leagues better than my first encounter with this beer, and it actually has a bit too much lively carbonation (but I will definitely take that compared to the flatness of the first). Amazing retention as well, with huge bubbles and a rocky texture that turns creamy as it fades. The lacing is sticky as well, with thick clumps of foam clinging haphazardly all around the glass.

S - Really interesting nose on here again. It actually seems to be a bit hotter in the way that the alcohol comes through. It's sweet as well with the malts, and there's a lot of dark fruits and sugar. Again, I'm getting some dry tobacco leaves and brown sugar.

T - The richness of the nose continues into the flavor, with the alcohol again playing a large role. Caramel malts and chocolate are abundant, with an alcohol-soaked raisin and cherry taking a reign as well. It's earthy and somewhat smokey with a long, sweet, alcoholic finish.

M - Mouthfeel is much better than before, but it still is fairly thin especially for the amount of flavor this beer is pushing. Would have loved to see this be a bit more full-bodied. Leaves a sweet finish on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. It's a night and day comparison between this batch and the one I had before, but there are still some negatives that are keeping me from loving this. For one, it is pretty hot and the alcohol lasts from start to finish. Secondly, it's a bit thinner than I would've liked. Still, definitely helps my perception of Hair of the Dog.

Rating: 4/3.5/4/3/3.5

11-16-2011 03:23:05 | More by nhindian
jcalabre

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%

Originally sampled on 1 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. It poured with a huge head. It's very sweet. As others have noted, it would go well w/ chocolate. Also, the alcohol is very apparent. It does have a sweet taste to it. This is a unique brew.

07-11-2003 19:55:26 | More by jcalabre
gentlebubbles

3.28/5  rDev -23.2%

on tap at Redbone's

Deep smooth chestnut with low, dense tan head. Caramel scent. Thick caramel with smoky tones that take on a touch of creosote toward the end. The smoke makes it intriguing, but I'm not interested in having another. A hair on the syrupy side. Subtle warming that's just what you need on a freaking cold evening.

12-21-2004 03:04:08 | More by gentlebubbles
beckje01

3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

A- Crazy head that is brown. The beer is very dark with no activity under the big head. A dark amber almost black.

S- Simple semi sweet smell.

T- Sweet with a bitter end. There are also some smoke tones through out.

M- Tangy with some activity, overall nice.

D- Goes down good if its a bit warmer.

This is a prime example of trying a beer a different tempatures, I started with this one too cold on accendent and I was really put off by it and I almost drained it, but I gave it a chance to warm up I left the room did other things. When coming back to it just slightly colder then room temp if not room temp and it was a much better beer. I started my review over from the smell point with the warmer beer.

09-19-2006 05:35:14 | More by beckje01