Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,287 | Reviews: 1,000
2.91/5  rDev -31.7%

This is my first review of any HotD beer and 100th unique brewer. 12 oz. (Batch 80) sent by cb462 as an extra. Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

Deep, dark mahogany with a good and creamy textured khaki-brown head. Medium head retention and ok lacing. Good for its kind. Aroma is sweet malts, hint of smoke, some dried fruit. Certainly leather. No booze. Very generic, however, especially because it's so mute.

Tastes disappointing :/ I had high hopes and I am feeling let down. I can see the potential but it seems too rough. Some sweetness with a biting earthy bitterness, roast, and over the top astringent character. Medium finish with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is above average with understated carbonation and a medium body. Overall though, it drinks more like a blend of a barleywine and Old Rasputin, than a barleywine on its own. I don't like it.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 3/5; Taste 2.5/5; Mouthfeel 3.5/5; Overall 3/5

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bought somewhere in Oregon for me. Batch 71.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost black. Beautiful mocha or capuccino color head. Head has lots of protein chunks, dissipates very slow, and leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Malts, ginger, spice, flowers, bittersweet chocolate, a leathery pungency, and light alcohol.

T - Chocolate, lots of licorice, almost leathery. Moderate alcohol.

M - Very intense and sharp tasting. When I drink a home brew like this, I know it needs to age longer.

D - The flavors need to settle. Slightly acute in taste, the alcohol has almost a dominating flavor. The bottles really need to age at least a year or more before it becomes a good beer.

I will probably re-review this in a year or so. BATCH 71 NEEDS TO AGE ANOTHER YEAR!!!

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Batch 76, which I believe is a 2010 vintage.

2.0 A: Dark brown color. No head at all. None. Not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless.

3.5 S: Loads of tobacco and raisin. Date, fig, and prune after that. Sweet toffee and caramel. Minor notes of oxidation. This smells pretty good despite no carbonation. It'd proabably be amazing with some.

3.5 T: Tobacco and rum raisin kick this off. Dates, figs, prunes, toffee, and plenty of caramel. Basically the same as the nose. Again, some sherry-like oxidation. Same as the nose. Would be much tastier with carbonation.

1.5 M: Heavier medium body. Not fully flat, but whatever is the lowest detectable amount In any case, it ruins whatever creaminess this had in store.

2.5 D: I think this could be a damn good beer if it was allowed to be. As it stands, it's at the lower end of average. With carbonation, I could see this easily breaking the 4s. But, I won't know tonight. I've been having nothing been trouble with b-wines from the cellar and their carbonation lately. It's starting to grow tiresome.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

EDIT:
This breaks my heart! My top rated beer took a kick to the nuts today. On draft at HotD taproom. Butterscotch was significant. Gone was the leather and molasses, spice and other characteristics. Just a too smooth buttery feel and taste. Not a butter bomb, but enough to ruin my deep seated love :(

I"m such an A-hole I don't remember who gave this too me. It was a trade at FRTH, I know your face!! Thanks for this wonder brew

This is almost a perfect 5 for me, but I think it misses the style, probably by a lot, but it's too damn good to mark more off.

Pours a dark chestnut, almost black. Off-brown/tan head, dense, creamy, foaming up to about 2 fingers. Lacing is slick.

Great aroma. Rich and full. Dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, leather, molasses. hint of vanilla and anise. Yum

Taste is richer and fuller. Subtle at first, then the flavors hit. Wow. Leather up front, black chocolate, baked caramel, black plum. Molasses adds to the roasted malt sweetness, but the leather and some prune come in with a dash of anise to dry it out a bit. A touch of tannin. Smmmoooth. Oh my. A slightly dry finish, but mostly smooth. Alcohol is a non-factor

My first HotD beer and I'm wowed. Gonna have to hit my brother up in Washington to keep on eye out for these.

3.07/5  rDev -27.9%

At a tasting with jrallen34.

A - Pours a dark mohagany color with pretty much know head. Looks somewhat intimidating just sitting there with litle activity, but not a whole lot going on with it.

S - A sharp, lighter sweetness with the caramel malts. Dark fruit and a surprising hops bite on the end of this. Little bit of alcohol burn on there as well.

T - Not as good as it smells. A lot of licorice and some dark fruit. Very heavy malts and something that tastes burnt, like wood or maybe even barley? Touch of brown sugar, but it's overpoweringly burnt and fairly disappointing.

M - Under carbonated, almost flat. Full bodied.

D - Hard to drink due to the pungent tastes and the high abv. Had trouble splitting the bottle.

3.09/5  rDev -27.5%

Got a bottle of batch 68 from New Beer in NYC for 4.25. The color was really interesting - very dark, but not black as a stout. More like a very dark red. you could see a brighter red tint in the light, kind of like wine. nice head that remained for a while. i couldnt get much of a smell for some reason - maybe because i was in an indian restaurant when i cracked it open. this was my first old ale and it was nothing like anything ive had before. the blurb on the bottle was spot on when it said its been compared to figs and leather. craziness..also very raisony, and some smokiness and bitter coffee beans. as complex as it was, these flavors did not all seem to mix seemlessly. it exploded in my mouth but caused some damage. shared a bottle with a nice girl and it was very hard to finish for both of us but this was probably because we had just ate a huge meal and a bottle of southampton grand cru. nevertheless i still couldnt see this one going down easy. my bottom line for this beer is that it desparately needs some age. i know HOTD does that anyway to their brews, but this one especially needs to sit in the corner and think things over for a long time. If you own or are soon going to purchase batch 68 of Adam please do yourself and the beer a favor and let it age for at least another year or two.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Small bottle from K&L (Redwood City), poured into a snifter glass.

A: Black, or at least very, very dark brown. Creamy, tan head, with good retention.

S: Roastiness, leather, rubber.

T: Caramel, raisins, something burned that I can't quite put my finger on. There's a little sourness that shines through, which I like. A little roastiness and a bitterness remain in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Heavy-bodied but not a completely slow-sipper. For some reason, left me with a dry mouth... but maybe that was caused by something else.

O: Interesting and complex, but not something I'd buy again.

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured into a snifter

A - Very deep brown bordering on black, minimal head composed of big nonuniform bubbles, zero lacing.

S - Leather, magic marker, tobacco, bourbon, oak, port, figs, plums and alcohol. No trace of what I know to be hops and a bizarre characteristic from the malt that I'm not familiar with.

T - Taste is exactly like the smell: leather, magic maker, dark fruits, tobacco and bourbon. Kind of sweet but all of those flavors come through really strong.

M - Medium with zero carbonation, isn't very enticing.

D - I honestly didn't know what to expect going into this beer and I'm perplexed coming out the other side. Really overwhelming and distinct flavors coming out of this, a lot of characteristics that I would not associate with beer at all. Maybe I'm a noob and I don't know what to expect from the style but from what I've read it lives up to every aspect. If I ever have this again I'll split with at least 4 people interested in drinking a cigarette stuffed puree of Fonzie's jacket.

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

Bought this bottle at the wonderful Pinocchio's Beer Garden. (Not aged, presumably bottled in 2010).

Appearance- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a regular pint glass. Pours out of the bottle dark and settles in the glass dark but I didn't get any sort of head. Basically just a thick looking almost black old ale sitting in my pint glass, kind of looked flat.

Smell- Smelled highly of dark fruits. I get the most tremendous whiff of plum. Also a bit figgy and sweet. There is also the lingering smell of alcohol which is understandable with a ten percent brew.

Taste- High on the alcohol, burns a bit going down to be honest. The dark fruitiness is there but it seemed overpowered by the alcohol. It's possible that it might be a little more palatable with some time on it.

Mouthfeel- I don't think that I have a sensitive tongue or anything and I felt the burn of the alcohol while it was sitting in my mouth. I did think the thickness felt kind of ideal for an old ale though.

Drinkability- I would have a hard time drinking one of these. I would also have as hard time standing after drinking more than one of these. A little too much alcohol burn for my taste, will have to try it aged.

3.16/5  rDev -25.8%

A - pour is subtle. Head is nice straw color. Brew is nice deep purple.

S - Super vanilla. Lots of wood funk too! Perhaps a little mango or papaya?

T - Lots of dark oakey flavor... Very deep and pulling. Lots going on on this brew. Can't really put my finger on any of it though...

M - Lots of HEAT! Minimal carbonation and very bitter (slightly licorice) after taste.

O - A mild mess of a brew... There's a TON of flavor, but it's very hard to differentiate... Worth trying and finding, but I would let it sit for a LONG time! I hope to upgrade this review in time.

3.17/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle shared by Eric - cheers fella!

Rich brown pour with just under a finger of off-white head. Some lace spots as it drops to a film. Nice aroma combines brown sugar, earth, alcohol, dates and a hint of leather. Real nice and intriguing. Flavour not so much. Smoke, leather and ink make for an interesting beer, but do nothing for me, and I find the taste slightly unpleasant, which is surprising as I usually dig old ales. The elements I do like are present (Dark fruits, brown sugar, warming alcohol), but they're interrupted to often to gain any traction. Certainly the most leathery tasting beer I've had, and maybe I just don't get it. Body and mouthfeel is more or less where it should be for the style, with a heavy weight and restrained carbonation.

I've not had much success with Hair of the Dog, and I struggle to see the basis for their great reputation. This made for an interesting beer, but interesting isn't always good.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

12oz bottle, Batch #84, into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours dark brown, huge frothy kaki-colored head, sticky lace, big cap.

S - Sweet dark fruits, oak, booze. Not quite as sweet as I was expecting. The oak and booze are pretty powerful at this point, it's obvious to me I should have aged this bottle a bit more.

T - Dark fruits, big oak, some char notes, astringent, and a bit medicinal. The booze isn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Finish is medicinal notes, and oak'd dark fruit.

M - Full, perhaps a touch too much carbonation for me, dry oak finish.

O - Now I know to age my bottles of Adam for quite some time before digging into them. I've had several from the late 90's that were mind-blowing, but fresh, this isn't my cup o' tea.

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

Batch 76. Hair of the Dog offers a vintage guide to date their various batches of Adam, but it mysteriously stops after batch 59... The trend so far is that they brew roughly 5 batches a year, so this was probably bottled in 2005 or somewhere around that.

A - I began pouring this gently to keep the bottle conditioned yeast in the bottle, but after I didn't see ANY head activity, I tried to do it a bit harder. All my effort was in vain, however, as there is absolutely no head or carbonation to be seen here. It actually gives some still lambics a run for their money. Retention, therefore, is not applicable, and the lacing is invisible as well. There are some slight alcohol legs making their presence known, though! The body itself is a dark brown mixed with purple.

S - Thankfully the smell is better than the appearance. There's a good amount of alcohol solvency in here, but for the most part it's covered by dark fruits, tobacco, chocolate and caramel malts. The tobacco even leads to some slight smokiness, and it gives hints of burnt brown sugar.

T - The flavors are definitely a branch of the nose, albeit a bit more simple and even watered down. It starts with a boozy, rum-soaked raisin flavor, before quickly transitioning to wet tobacco and earthiness. The smoky qualities return here, although they are not as enticing as in the nose and is more of a nuisance. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate and caramel, before turning to an almost acrid, solvent alcohol burn.

M - The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. It's completely flat and still, and while the beer is cold it doesn't detract too much, but when this beer hits room temperature, the feel of this beer plummets. It's flavors are too syrupy to deal with without some carbonation, and it just seems to sit on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I was really looking forward to this beer, and although I've heard of Hair of the Dog's carbonation problems, this was my first beer from them. It's a shame it is still as I definitely think this beer would be tasty with some carbonation. If this is on tap around you, check it out, but at the price they charge around me for a bottle, it's just too much risk to try again.

Rating: 2/3.5/2.5/1/2.5
---

I was sent another bottle of this since my first one was obviously off. Thanks a ton, msubulldog25 for this! I will average the scores for the overall ranking,

Batch #81.

A - Right away the appearance is leagues better than my first encounter with this beer, and it actually has a bit too much lively carbonation (but I will definitely take that compared to the flatness of the first). Amazing retention as well, with huge bubbles and a rocky texture that turns creamy as it fades. The lacing is sticky as well, with thick clumps of foam clinging haphazardly all around the glass.

S - Really interesting nose on here again. It actually seems to be a bit hotter in the way that the alcohol comes through. It's sweet as well with the malts, and there's a lot of dark fruits and sugar. Again, I'm getting some dry tobacco leaves and brown sugar.

T - The richness of the nose continues into the flavor, with the alcohol again playing a large role. Caramel malts and chocolate are abundant, with an alcohol-soaked raisin and cherry taking a reign as well. It's earthy and somewhat smokey with a long, sweet, alcoholic finish.

M - Mouthfeel is much better than before, but it still is fairly thin especially for the amount of flavor this beer is pushing. Would have loved to see this be a bit more full-bodied. Leaves a sweet finish on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. It's a night and day comparison between this batch and the one I had before, but there are still some negatives that are keeping me from loving this. For one, it is pretty hot and the alcohol lasts from start to finish. Secondly, it's a bit thinner than I would've liked. Still, definitely helps my perception of Hair of the Dog.

Rating: 4/3.5/4/3/3.5

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, inky black with a light tan creamy head that drops to a thin wisp, with some lacing.

Aromas of dark fruits, prunes, figs, rum raisins, some anise, and a hint of mint.

Flavors of tobacco, anise, mint, barnyard. No hop flavors to speak of. Finish is short, but tobacco flavor lingers on.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, malty.

Not my cup of tea. Had this years ago. Trying it again, but not really digging it.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Originally sampled on 1 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. It poured with a huge head. It's very sweet. As others have noted, it would go well w/ chocolate. Also, the alcohol is very apparent. It does have a sweet taste to it. This is a unique brew.

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%

on tap at Redbone's

Deep smooth chestnut with low, dense tan head. Caramel scent. Thick caramel with smoky tones that take on a touch of creosote toward the end. The smoke makes it intriguing, but I'm not interested in having another. A hair on the syrupy side. Subtle warming that's just what you need on a freaking cold evening.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%

A- Crazy head that is brown. The beer is very dark with no activity under the big head. A dark amber almost black.

S- Simple semi sweet smell.

T- Sweet with a bitter end. There are also some smoke tones through out.

M- Tangy with some activity, overall nice.

D- Goes down good if its a bit warmer.

This is a prime example of trying a beer a different tempatures, I started with this one too cold on accendent and I was really put off by it and I almost drained it, but I gave it a chance to warm up I left the room did other things. When coming back to it just slightly colder then room temp if not room temp and it was a much better beer. I started my review over from the smell point with the warmer beer.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

No freshness date, murky brown pour, sediment everywhere. Raisin, plum and alcohol heat aroma.

Super sweet and strong, seemed like I was taking a shot of rum and pucker. . . cloying. Currant taste, with tastes of chocolate or cocoa nibs underneath it. Tobacco. Lots of complex flavors, but the alcohol and the meld of the flavors just don't jive for me. Everything is in here but the kitchen sink (and hops).

I don't see what all the hubub is.

EDIT: Had another bottle with elrogish, much better, cleaner.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pours a nice dark brown but with an ugly soapy white head that is only present as a tiny thin wisp.

S - Smoke and leather, some fig. A bit boring.

T - Sweet figgy booziness and a leathery smokiness. Finish is the leather and some of the smoke.

M - Really bad. The beer finishes by coating the mouth in a strange, waxy way. Medium body.

D - Easy to drink for a 10%, goes down easy. The worst part is the mouthfeel, which is very offputting. A massive disappointment.

3.31/5  rDev -22.3%

12oz bottle thanks to bluebetty!

Nice deep brown appearance, pouring with a decent head of lightish foam (for the colour of the base liquid).

Earthy aroma, more muted than anticipated, some background malt as well.

Slight bit of fortified port flavour hits, along with some plum. Understated as well given the strength of the beer itself.

Good filling size body to the beer, nice bit of creaminess. Alcohol is well hidden.

My most anticipated of the two Hair of the Dog brews tonight was a touch disappointing. More sedate than expected. Fortunately a nice feel and size made up for a lack of perceived flavour and aroma.

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. 1/3/14

Pours dark brown, almost black. Thick heavy white foam. Snowy. Musty damp smell. Woodsy. Smoky. Hints if leather, peat, dirt. Earthy, grainy taste with a harsh hop that interjects halfway through. Potent bitter. A tough pint for sure. Need to really enjoy Old Ales to get the most from this one.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

Batch 71:

Very dark brown with a beige head that had very good retention and lacing. Smell of caramel, dark fruit, earthy hops, smoke, and also some medicinal notes. Taste is smokey, caramel, and very medicinal. There also seems to be some sweet cherries in the taste, but most of it is medicinal. Medium carbonation and light to medium body. I'd like to try this again from a different batch to get a better idea of the beer.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

Batch # 76 on a 12 oz bottle.

Poured dark brown with lots of head, looks promising. ALOT of yeast sediment in this, it took a while to settle to the bottom of my glass.

Smells of rich wood scents and peppermint, perhaps some sour notes.. hmm I want to like it but sort of off putting. Is this infected? i dunno

Taste is ok, not the infected taste i have gotten from similarly smelling beers. Decent dark roast and malt build for an old ale, a real different style of old ale for me. Its enjoyable to a degree but i think there is something off about this bottle or batch, maybe time will change this but it has a pepperminty, sort of sourish taste i cant match well to an old ale. I wish that flavor characteristic wasn't there but its still drinkable.
Difficult to sort out the flavors leading me to believe its early in its age. I will seek this out again, perhaps another batch # to see how it tastes, worth a try i think, considering other's reviews of this.

Mouth feel is rather good, decent thickness.

drinkablility suffers as this packs a punch.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%

May have gotten a bad bottle because I could not get any head at all- and I poured it quite strongly. Dark color- and a nice dark fruit smell with coffee.
Quite an alcohol bite like a barley wine. Warming. Raisin and Plum are aparent, a nice mouth feel. Kind of a smokey aftertaste. I have not tried many Old Ale beers, and this one is a sipper- and only OK. Again- mine may be tainted a bit due to the lack of any head.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

Love the bottle, as usual. Adam pours out looking absolutely great. Deep, dark, voluptous, with a very energetic head. It takes quite some time to get most of the bottle into the glass. The head is creamy, fluffy, comprised of very fine carbonation that sticks, forming creative shapes and intricate lacing.

Toffee greets the drinker upon taking a sniff; Depite being properly warmed, very little scent is available; Perhaps the head does a bit too good of a job of trapping released volatiles. There's definitely some roasted barely in there, a hickory smell - rich, like damp wood on a fire.

Very malty, with a lot of butterscotch and toffee tones; Roastiness is present as well, coming in with a slight bitter cocoa and straight espresso. Before they can get too heavy, the hops take over, bittering with a smooth, almost Noble, full-leaf hoppiness. After swallowing, some significant diacetyl characteristics stick around on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is smooth, rich, and very heavy. There's a very nice transition in the mouth's perception of malt, then hops, and the finish tastes sweet, but feels bitter.

I think this beer is close to being something great. It's got some rather interesting characteristics that just aren't cultured enough to really show through. I think it would be great with a few slices of smoked ham and some dark brown bread.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room