Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,288 | Reviews: 1,000
3.17/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle shared by Eric - cheers fella!

Rich brown pour with just under a finger of off-white head. Some lace spots as it drops to a film. Nice aroma combines brown sugar, earth, alcohol, dates and a hint of leather. Real nice and intriguing. Flavour not so much. Smoke, leather and ink make for an interesting beer, but do nothing for me, and I find the taste slightly unpleasant, which is surprising as I usually dig old ales. The elements I do like are present (Dark fruits, brown sugar, warming alcohol), but they're interrupted to often to gain any traction. Certainly the most leathery tasting beer I've had, and maybe I just don't get it. Body and mouthfeel is more or less where it should be for the style, with a heavy weight and restrained carbonation.

I've not had much success with Hair of the Dog, and I struggle to see the basis for their great reputation. This made for an interesting beer, but interesting isn't always good.

3.21/5  rDev -24.6%

12oz bottle, Batch #84, into Bruery tulip.

A - Pours dark brown, huge frothy kaki-colored head, sticky lace, big cap.

S - Sweet dark fruits, oak, booze. Not quite as sweet as I was expecting. The oak and booze are pretty powerful at this point, it's obvious to me I should have aged this bottle a bit more.

T - Dark fruits, big oak, some char notes, astringent, and a bit medicinal. The booze isn't quite as bad as I thought it was going to be. Finish is medicinal notes, and oak'd dark fruit.

M - Full, perhaps a touch too much carbonation for me, dry oak finish.

O - Now I know to age my bottles of Adam for quite some time before digging into them. I've had several from the late 90's that were mind-blowing, but fresh, this isn't my cup o' tea.

3.22/5  rDev -24.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

Batch 76. Hair of the Dog offers a vintage guide to date their various batches of Adam, but it mysteriously stops after batch 59... The trend so far is that they brew roughly 5 batches a year, so this was probably bottled in 2005 or somewhere around that.

A - I began pouring this gently to keep the bottle conditioned yeast in the bottle, but after I didn't see ANY head activity, I tried to do it a bit harder. All my effort was in vain, however, as there is absolutely no head or carbonation to be seen here. It actually gives some still lambics a run for their money. Retention, therefore, is not applicable, and the lacing is invisible as well. There are some slight alcohol legs making their presence known, though! The body itself is a dark brown mixed with purple.

S - Thankfully the smell is better than the appearance. There's a good amount of alcohol solvency in here, but for the most part it's covered by dark fruits, tobacco, chocolate and caramel malts. The tobacco even leads to some slight smokiness, and it gives hints of burnt brown sugar.

T - The flavors are definitely a branch of the nose, albeit a bit more simple and even watered down. It starts with a boozy, rum-soaked raisin flavor, before quickly transitioning to wet tobacco and earthiness. The smoky qualities return here, although they are not as enticing as in the nose and is more of a nuisance. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate and caramel, before turning to an almost acrid, solvent alcohol burn.

M - The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. It's completely flat and still, and while the beer is cold it doesn't detract too much, but when this beer hits room temperature, the feel of this beer plummets. It's flavors are too syrupy to deal with without some carbonation, and it just seems to sit on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I was really looking forward to this beer, and although I've heard of Hair of the Dog's carbonation problems, this was my first beer from them. It's a shame it is still as I definitely think this beer would be tasty with some carbonation. If this is on tap around you, check it out, but at the price they charge around me for a bottle, it's just too much risk to try again.

Rating: 2/3.5/2.5/1/2.5
---

I was sent another bottle of this since my first one was obviously off. Thanks a ton, msubulldog25 for this! I will average the scores for the overall ranking,

Batch #81.

A - Right away the appearance is leagues better than my first encounter with this beer, and it actually has a bit too much lively carbonation (but I will definitely take that compared to the flatness of the first). Amazing retention as well, with huge bubbles and a rocky texture that turns creamy as it fades. The lacing is sticky as well, with thick clumps of foam clinging haphazardly all around the glass.

S - Really interesting nose on here again. It actually seems to be a bit hotter in the way that the alcohol comes through. It's sweet as well with the malts, and there's a lot of dark fruits and sugar. Again, I'm getting some dry tobacco leaves and brown sugar.

T - The richness of the nose continues into the flavor, with the alcohol again playing a large role. Caramel malts and chocolate are abundant, with an alcohol-soaked raisin and cherry taking a reign as well. It's earthy and somewhat smokey with a long, sweet, alcoholic finish.

M - Mouthfeel is much better than before, but it still is fairly thin especially for the amount of flavor this beer is pushing. Would have loved to see this be a bit more full-bodied. Leaves a sweet finish on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. It's a night and day comparison between this batch and the one I had before, but there are still some negatives that are keeping me from loving this. For one, it is pretty hot and the alcohol lasts from start to finish. Secondly, it's a bit thinner than I would've liked. Still, definitely helps my perception of Hair of the Dog.

Rating: 4/3.5/4/3/3.5

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured into a snifter.

Pours a deep, inky black with a light tan creamy head that drops to a thin wisp, with some lacing.

Aromas of dark fruits, prunes, figs, rum raisins, some anise, and a hint of mint.

Flavors of tobacco, anise, mint, barnyard. No hop flavors to speak of. Finish is short, but tobacco flavor lingers on.

Mouthfeel is big, chewy, malty.

Not my cup of tea. Had this years ago. Trying it again, but not really digging it.

3.23/5  rDev -24.2%

Originally sampled on 1 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes. It poured with a huge head. It's very sweet. As others have noted, it would go well w/ chocolate. Also, the alcohol is very apparent. It does have a sweet taste to it. This is a unique brew.

3.26/5  rDev -23.5%

on tap at Redbone's

Deep smooth chestnut with low, dense tan head. Caramel scent. Thick caramel with smoky tones that take on a touch of creosote toward the end. The smoke makes it intriguing, but I'm not interested in having another. A hair on the syrupy side. Subtle warming that's just what you need on a freaking cold evening.

3.27/5  rDev -23.2%

A- Crazy head that is brown. The beer is very dark with no activity under the big head. A dark amber almost black.

S- Simple semi sweet smell.

T- Sweet with a bitter end. There are also some smoke tones through out.

M- Tangy with some activity, overall nice.

D- Goes down good if its a bit warmer.

This is a prime example of trying a beer a different tempatures, I started with this one too cold on accendent and I was really put off by it and I almost drained it, but I gave it a chance to warm up I left the room did other things. When coming back to it just slightly colder then room temp if not room temp and it was a much better beer. I started my review over from the smell point with the warmer beer.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

No freshness date, murky brown pour, sediment everywhere. Raisin, plum and alcohol heat aroma.

Super sweet and strong, seemed like I was taking a shot of rum and pucker. . . cloying. Currant taste, with tastes of chocolate or cocoa nibs underneath it. Tobacco. Lots of complex flavors, but the alcohol and the meld of the flavors just don't jive for me. Everything is in here but the kitchen sink (and hops).

I don't see what all the hubub is.

EDIT: Had another bottle with elrogish, much better, cleaner.

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pours a nice dark brown but with an ugly soapy white head that is only present as a tiny thin wisp.

S - Smoke and leather, some fig. A bit boring.

T - Sweet figgy booziness and a leathery smokiness. Finish is the leather and some of the smoke.

M - Really bad. The beer finishes by coating the mouth in a strange, waxy way. Medium body.

D - Easy to drink for a 10%, goes down easy. The worst part is the mouthfeel, which is very offputting. A massive disappointment.

3.31/5  rDev -22.3%

12oz bottle thanks to bluebetty!

Nice deep brown appearance, pouring with a decent head of lightish foam (for the colour of the base liquid).

Earthy aroma, more muted than anticipated, some background malt as well.

Slight bit of fortified port flavour hits, along with some plum. Understated as well given the strength of the beer itself.

Good filling size body to the beer, nice bit of creaminess. Alcohol is well hidden.

My most anticipated of the two Hair of the Dog brews tonight was a touch disappointing. More sedate than expected. Fortunately a nice feel and size made up for a lack of perceived flavour and aroma.

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. 1/3/14

Pours dark brown, almost black. Thick heavy white foam. Snowy. Musty damp smell. Woodsy. Smoky. Hints if leather, peat, dirt. Earthy, grainy taste with a harsh hop that interjects halfway through. Potent bitter. A tough pint for sure. Need to really enjoy Old Ales to get the most from this one.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

Batch 71:

Very dark brown with a beige head that had very good retention and lacing. Smell of caramel, dark fruit, earthy hops, smoke, and also some medicinal notes. Taste is smokey, caramel, and very medicinal. There also seems to be some sweet cherries in the taste, but most of it is medicinal. Medium carbonation and light to medium body. I'd like to try this again from a different batch to get a better idea of the beer.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

Batch # 76 on a 12 oz bottle.

Poured dark brown with lots of head, looks promising. ALOT of yeast sediment in this, it took a while to settle to the bottom of my glass.

Smells of rich wood scents and peppermint, perhaps some sour notes.. hmm I want to like it but sort of off putting. Is this infected? i dunno

Taste is ok, not the infected taste i have gotten from similarly smelling beers. Decent dark roast and malt build for an old ale, a real different style of old ale for me. Its enjoyable to a degree but i think there is something off about this bottle or batch, maybe time will change this but it has a pepperminty, sort of sourish taste i cant match well to an old ale. I wish that flavor characteristic wasn't there but its still drinkable.
Difficult to sort out the flavors leading me to believe its early in its age. I will seek this out again, perhaps another batch # to see how it tastes, worth a try i think, considering other's reviews of this.

Mouth feel is rather good, decent thickness.

drinkablility suffers as this packs a punch.

3.36/5  rDev -21.1%

May have gotten a bad bottle because I could not get any head at all- and I poured it quite strongly. Dark color- and a nice dark fruit smell with coffee.
Quite an alcohol bite like a barley wine. Warming. Raisin and Plum are aparent, a nice mouth feel. Kind of a smokey aftertaste. I have not tried many Old Ale beers, and this one is a sipper- and only OK. Again- mine may be tainted a bit due to the lack of any head.

3.37/5  rDev -20.9%

Love the bottle, as usual. Adam pours out looking absolutely great. Deep, dark, voluptous, with a very energetic head. It takes quite some time to get most of the bottle into the glass. The head is creamy, fluffy, comprised of very fine carbonation that sticks, forming creative shapes and intricate lacing.

Toffee greets the drinker upon taking a sniff; Depite being properly warmed, very little scent is available; Perhaps the head does a bit too good of a job of trapping released volatiles. There's definitely some roasted barely in there, a hickory smell - rich, like damp wood on a fire.

Very malty, with a lot of butterscotch and toffee tones; Roastiness is present as well, coming in with a slight bitter cocoa and straight espresso. Before they can get too heavy, the hops take over, bittering with a smooth, almost Noble, full-leaf hoppiness. After swallowing, some significant diacetyl characteristics stick around on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is smooth, rich, and very heavy. There's a very nice transition in the mouth's perception of malt, then hops, and the finish tastes sweet, but feels bitter.

I think this beer is close to being something great. It's got some rather interesting characteristics that just aren't cultured enough to really show through. I think it would be great with a few slices of smoked ham and some dark brown bread.

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%

Batch 64

Deep brown. Porter like with a rapidly fading cream colored head. No light penetrates this beer.

Smells like malty OJ!?! Chocolate pokes through as well.

Sweet, smoky and chocolatey. Slight hints of caramelized sugars and raisins. Bitter enough to nearly stand up to the malt, but not much past balancing hops. There is a slight tartness right in the middle.

Adam is thick and not as carbonated as I would like for this beer.

A good beer to sip on and enjoy, but just too damn much for more than two.

An old ale... I don't think so. Their website calls it an historic german style that is no longer produced. Overall a nice beer to help chase away another rainy day.

3.39/5  rDev -20.4%

A- This is how a beer should look. Murky reddish black with a tan 2 finger head which stays for a while and leaves a crapload of lacing as it goes down.

S- Smell is strangely absent, a bit of roasted malt, can't detect much else.

T- Starts off deep and malty, the roasted malts take front stage but behind them is definitely a complex malt bill. This leads into a hoppiness that seems a little too strong, probably with time this one will lose most of the hops and really shine with the malts, I suspect it is a little young. Slight alcohol notes at the end. The main beef I have with this one is it just doesn't taste like an old ale which was what I wanted. Not bad, just not my cup of tea.

M- Medium viscosity, lots of carbonation. I assume the carbonation will fade with time.

D- This one is a nice beer to sip on. I think I would give it at least a year or two in the future. Seems like an old ale and a stout mixed to me but what do I know.

3.41/5  rDev -20%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aroma: Boozy fruit, and lightly sweet
Appearance: No head ?!? Darkbrown, cloudy on the pour
Taste: heavy cloying sweetness, lightly bitter
Palate: light body, thin oily slick mouthfeel, flat, astringent, finish
Overall: An odd, off-beat beer. The lack of head on a vigorous pour hints that something was not quite right with my sample. The aroma and taste was unique and sweet, indeed a desert beer if there ever was one!

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Sampled on 7-15-10

Pours an extremely deep brown color, almost black, with blood red around the very edges. A thin head quickly fades, leaving a slick single ring of lacing.

Smell is all boozy sweet malt. A little aged, a little funky, aromas of molasses and black licorice dominate. Strong, complex, and very daunting.

Taste is exactly like the smell. Hardcore malt and alcohol, and a medicinal edge that I can't place. I think it's an odd combination of the booze and hops, and its very off-putting. Complex, but hard to get down.

Mouthfeel is thick, slick, and creamy. It fits the extreme flavor.

Drinkability is poor, odd flavors and harshness are a fatal combo.

Overall, I expected better, but I guess I'm just spoiled.

3.43/5  rDev -19.5%

Hair of the Dog - Adam

Pours a rich dark brown. Complex aroma of caramel malts, whiskey, wood and vanilla. Some alcohol lofts in as well. In the taste, barleywine like with a strong boozy note. Earthy hops are not afraid to show themselves. This was a 2010 vintage but whew, a strong one. Every bit of the 10%abv is noticed. Mouthfeel is full bodied and the alcohol sticks witgh you. Overall, young, this beer is very hot. Id like to see what some time would do to this one.

3.44/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown colour with no head. Disappointing.

Slightly vegemitey, alcohol, chocolate, slightly nutty and a touch fruity.

Intense alcohol, very sweet, moderate bitterness, a touch roasty with some chocolate.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A touch hot.

Interesting beer. I'm not sure it hits all the right notes for me as the alcohol, sweetness and vegemite are all just a touch rough.

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Sample at David Copperfields in Manhattan NY from owner, fellow Bronxite.

A: Red & black, not sure about head and lacing as small sample.

S-Sweet candies, unable to discern which however.

T- Malt first followed by hops. High ABV noticable very quickly but too strong, it is 10% after all. Not sure of the brew date but nothing like a Old Ale i've tasted prior.

M- Medium with heavy carbonation.

D-A good desset wine but not my style.

3.46/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I live in Portland and am only now getting around to trying this!

This is batch 92, which is maybe a little new. I gave it a good, not particularly gentle pour from the bottle into a traditional pint glass, and it has absolutely no head. The color is very dark brown, almost black. It's essentially opaque even when held to the light. The lack of head is odd.

I'll continue for those of you who haven't already moved on after reading that I poured it into a pint glass.

The smell is full, dark, 'round' - which matches the color well. I get the heavy malty qualities. Leather, soil, and chocolate seem reasonable. I also taste some raisin or prune and maybe root beer.

The flavor is similar. It really hits the back of the mouth with the malt and bitterness. There's a bit of ash in the flavor that I don't notice in the smell. Alcohol is forward and it is a bit… astringent, or pungent, maybe. There's a lot of sweet malt.

The carbonation is present but subtile. I think there's something not quite right about this batch considering that and the other reviews I've read for Adam. It's not bad at all but it's not as outstanding as I'd hoped. It feels flat and thin for a beer with this much flavor.

I might need to go down to the brewery and try this one on tap. It's worth another chance. It's solidly good but not my favorite. I've had other HOTD beers that I've liked better than this one. It would be improved with a little less forward alcohol, astringency, and a little more character in the body.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Huge rocky head with lots of tan foam and lace. Much more carbonation than I would expect from a high-alcohol/gravity brew.
Extreme dark brown almost opaque color. Closer to a stout than an old ale, INMHO.

Nice aroma filled with spice, alcohol, malt and yeast.

Taste is more spicy-hoppy than malty. Definitely less malt than I would have expected. Aftertaste of hop bitterness and some burnt raisins.

Nice mouthfeel and a decent sipping beer. Overall, this beer was way short of my expectations.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

A yeasty hoppy aroma with all kinds of hints of other things, a nice sweet malty blend of raisin banana lemon, almost like a weiss, thickish mouthfeel little bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, a complex sweetness lingered till the end.I seem to feel this is a great brew, but the blend just isn't something I'm into right now.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room