Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Reviews: 994 | Hads: 2,297
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz. bottle Batch No. 57
Poured a black brew with a nice tan head that subsided slowly. Aroma is rich in dark plumb and alcohol. Flavor is sweet with carmelized malts at first that finishes with a sweet bready smooth malt flavor and smoke right at the end. Very smooth and very drinkable this beer is very complex and seems to gain more chocolatyness as it warms.
This is a beautiful beer ment to be aged for special occasions although i would find it hard to keep it in the cellar for long. (495 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Batch 72

A- pours a deep garnet tinged brown with a finger of khaki colored head. Decent retention with some spotty lacing.

S- starts out with a big dry rich malt aroma with motes of leather, tabacco and sundried dark fruit gallore. Woody mulchy hops blend in with notes of leaf and citrus. Finishes with a port character.

T- rich dark fruity malt with port like qualities up front with notes of tabacco and leather. A citrusy hop pops in the middle and transitions into woody leafy tones. Finishes dry with a rich lingering fruit and lingering balanced leafy hop bitterness.

MF- rich slick mouthfeel with a medium body. Low perfect carbonation.

D- oh so drinkable! Especially for 10%... more please.

Overall a worldclass brew! (734 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%

This review is for batch 72, the first batch I ever had. I recently tried a batch 74 bottle and it was not as tasty. I hope that my remaining bottles can match the greatness of my first!

A--It took over 15 minutes to finish pouring this bottle into my 16 oz. snifter. The head was massive and receded extremely slowly. The color was a very dark brown and lacing coated the walls of the glass.

S--Cocoa, wood, raisins, caramel, citrus hops...all subtly blended together to create a pleasant and inviting aroma.

T--Huge smokiness is dominant...some chocolate really comes out in the taste and creates a wonderfully creamy dessert-like treat. Its like melted fudge with a whole grab back of complex background flavors to keep your palate busy. Not really sure this fits any style description, even one as open as "old ale."

M--Full bodied and creamy, this is amazing. I thought it would be over carbonated based on the out of control head but there must be other factors at work because this is damn near perfect.

D--The most drinkable 10% beer I've had yet, even more so than all my favorite imperial stouts. It is extremely rare for me to give a beer with this high of an ABV a 5 in drinkability, but this is so smooth, complex, and inviting that I have no other choice. This is a flat out amazing beer, it blows my mind that it only has an A- rating.

Extra credit points for a beer with the same name as me as well! What a beer!

UPDATE 9/13/09 -- Batch 73 is more smoky/woody than the other batches I have tried. I think I have to drop the drinkability to a 4.5 since no bottles have matched the greatness of my first

UPDATE 12/30/09 -- Opened a Batch 22 tonight from 1996. The body has thinned out considerably yet overall it has held up quite well considering the bakers dozen revolutions around the sun it has seen. Still a bit of smoke and tobacco, but oxidation has really crept in. Dark fruits seem to be a bit more prominent as well. In fact, this is drinking like a smokey English Barleywine at this point. Extremely interesting.

UPDATE 3/14/10 -- Tried another Batch 74 and it has grown into something quite incredible. Nice rounded smoke/chocolate/resiny hop flavor profile. (2,193 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz From batch 76 Poured into a Snifter

I have wanted to try this guy for a long, long time, finally picked up in a trade with ShadesOfGray.

L: Pours a Gauloises bruin deep brown, with nearly no head. After 30s or so, froth start to appear from beneath. This beer is thick.

S: Shallow extreme sweetness, fading into ... where to begin? Smoke, cranberries, your favorite (slightly funky) childhood blankey., and on, and on ...

T: Hits like a sweetish barleywine up front, but the depth makes the beer. Clocking this ... the finish hits about 30s after the front. Sweetness into an earthy subterranean middle, with funky fruit and smokey bacon notes. Lingering caramel berries in the finish.

F: Delightfully thick, syrupy. Carbonation is higher than it looks, and sneaks up on you in the middle.

D: For the ABV and style ... this is dangerously drinkable. Adam is in the top 5 reasons to move to Portland ... no joke. This beer is legit. (942 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a deep dark brown with a soap ring of tan head.

The smell has a meaty bacon like quality to it with a bit of treacle.

The flavor is very mild yet complex after the huge smokey nose, but has a nice bit of mild smoke, earthy cedar, and dark chocolate flavors. A long lingering bitterness takes over to even it out nicely.

The mouthfeel is thick and oily and leaves a nice long lasting sticky coating of flavor.

Exactly what I think of when I think old ale. Hair of the Dog Nailed it (491 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Big thanks to eclipse54 for sending me this one in a LIF. Will be starting the next round soon! Always excited to try a new one from HOTD. Finally have time to sit down and write a review as I drink. Batch #82. Enjoyed on 11/27//11.

A - Poured into a Wild Heaven tulip at cellar temp. A very deep, dark purple color with a two finger tan head. Leaves no lacing. Small cap of foam remains throughout the enjoyment of the glass.

S - Excellent aroma coming off this one. Lots of leather, tobacco and dark fruits. Also some figs, grapes, chocolate, and alcohol. Very complex.

T - Follows the smell. All of the above descriptions apply. Very sweet but the alcohol bite balances it out. Figs, grapes, leather, plums. This is simply the best old ale I've had and I can't imagine one the taste being any better in the style.

M - Mouthfeel is excellent as well. Medium to full-bodied with a nice amount of carbonation on the back end rendering this one quite drinkable.

O - Overall, this is an excellent beer. One of my favorites. I've loved everything from HOTD so far. Need to get my hands on some Cherry Adam or regular Adam from the Wood soon. Keep up the good work HOTD! (1,171 characters)

batch 71 poured into one of my oversized wine glasses

deep dark brwon, almost looks like a porter or an imperial stout except for the tinges of reddish brown. A bit of carbonation but very light, surprised me with a bit of lace on my wine glass as well

the nose is quite rich aromas of blackberries and caramel. evidence of the big malt bomb ready to hit the tongue.

certainly an old ale, I detect a great deal of roasted malt here in a way that reminds me of a smoked porter. A great deal of raisins and other dark berry flavors present, evidence of the refermentation sugars as well. I must say that I really like the roasty coffee notes that I think are applied rather creatively in this style of beer. A bit of cleaning hops there on the finish but nothing that really stands out.

just enough carbonation to make it snap, full bodied, deep and oily, and a bit of roasted malt astringence on the finish

also highly drinkable fro the alcohol, I find this beer inoffensive yet striking. I have to say that I absolutely love this beer. It's so yummy, so smooth. It's right up there with some well aged Old Stock. (1,117 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Thick almost black body with a small tan head that fades quickly but regenerate easily with a swirl. This is limited carbonation, it sits fairly still in the glass. The aromas are huge, tons of roasted malts with notes of chocolate, and a touch of coffee, before some peaty, almost soily aromas. The taste is rich and just as big as the aroma suggests. Heavy roasted malts up from, with more chocolate, molasses, caramalised sugars, and a rich roasted coffee. Towards the end the bitterness begins to take over with the woody peat flavours entwined with a dry hoppiness. Truly remarkable beer. Hope I get chance to get my hands on this again. (642 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

I've got to give this one an A+. I've never had my heart melted by a beer like this before. My first real old ale experience, but I am hooked. I find myself thinking about this beer every second, now.

A- Dark, mahogany, the color of a stained wood bureau, old loafers... slight ruby hue in light. Beautiful dark tan head, thick as hell, rich, heavy. I wasn't sure if the head would hold it was so thick, but it stayed to the last drop, great lacing, thick pieces stayed all along the sides of the snifter.

S- Like no beer I've had before. Dense, murky aroma. Very pungent and earthy, like the black soil under a rotting log. Scents of leather, bread, musty clothes. I know these sound awful, but when you smell them in this malty context, your nose is alive and dancing with such complexity.

T- A definite leather onset, followed closely by a dark raisiny taste. Some rich , unsweet (not sour or tangy) cherry, maybe fruit-cake-like flavor deep in the body. Big diacetyl, dark rye/pumpernickle flavors. A definite malty sweetness. By the time it had warmed and I was nearing the end, I had forgotten I was drinking a beer, and thought I had a glass of brandy or 20 year scotch. All-in-all, it tasted like a brandy or a very, very old scotch.

M- Big, thick, acidic. Didn't coat the way I would have hoped with that head, but it was still a big beer.

D- Definitely an after dinner, winding down with a cigar type of drink, though sharing one with my wife while watching a movie as pretty great, too.

This is a beer I can't stop talking about, and am recommending to everyone. Go get one. (1,596 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a deep, deep brown with good carbonation and a tan head. Nose is oh so good. Lots of chocolate, leatheer fruits and a whiff of smoke. Man. This beer smelled good. Taste, whoa! Awesome. Loved it from the get go. Lots of roasted malt, smokiness, chcolate, booze, tobacco, leather. Lots of things going on here but all very detecable and not muddied togethe. Mouthfeel was nice, boozy, hearty, roasty, leather, wood, cocoa and more. Damn good and very drinkable for the style! (480 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Apperance is a dark brown with ruby reflects. Generous beige head that sticks to the glass like glue, every bubble is ultra-small and identical to its neighbor. Complex aroma reminiscent of port wine, grapes,licorice, plums, alcohol. Mouthfeel is creamy with a medium to full body. Very complex. There's just a little bit of everything in that beer it seems. Plenty of malty fruitiness with figs, plums, raspberries without neglecting brown sugar, smokey chocolate, nuts, spices. I hate to say it, but Et Cetera... That's very big and deep stuff, but anyone would like it I believe. A lot of fresh hops character contributes to the intensity. The aftertaste is great, delicate, hoppy, but almost not bitter, superbly warming and pleasant. Out of this world balance considering the enormous quantities of malt and hops. MartinT had warned me this was religious stuff-> RIGHT ON! Probably the best beer to ever cross my glass. I bet this ages well too. At 4.12, this is almost under-rated. If I have the chance to taste something better than this, I don't mind going to hell. I owe you one Jazz88! (1,098 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

My fourth beer from my mixed 6'er Abe's Cold Beer and most likely my fourth winner! This is my 2nd Hair of the Dog after Fred, which I loved, we'll see if this one lives up to that standard (if my beer hero Brentk56 is right, it does).

A: Deep, dark brown body with a nice tan head that leaves plenty of lacing.

S: Dark fruit, smokey tobacco, and a bit of dark chocolate.

T: A variety of tastes is easily distinguishable upon the first taste. Dark fruit, dark chocolate, and smokey tobacco sweetness up front with a nice hoppy undertone and a twinge of sour to compliment the flavor. Wonderful balance for such a complex, heavy brew.

M: Medium/heavy bodied with good carbonation and very smooth on the tongue.

D: Wow, HOTD is officially 2 for 2 and this one is going into my top 10 brews to date as well! What an amazingly complex brew, brave and bold yet extremely approachable at the same time, a tour de force. This clearly sets the bar for Olde Ales and also elevates itself in the elite league of Dark Ales with Stouts and RIS's. This is a gem, all beer fans should find it and enjoy it! (1,098 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured this into a snifter and it presented an extremely dark brown to black head with red hues. Offered a thick, pillowy head receeding rather slowly and leaving sticky lacing. Smells of smoke, with bourbon barrel-esque tones and a malty/toffee/alcohol finish. Taste is a conplex compilation of woody and dusty (in a good way)notes, malty, smokey, some sweetness and a blue cheese like finish. It hits the palate in the same away a great blue cheese wouuld. This is a great blue cheese brew. The body is thick and full with just enough carbonation. Awesome! (558 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Batch 66 into my Delirium Noel goblet. Website does not list the brew date of this vintage but I've owned it for about 9 months, so consider it cellared.

Thick cake of slurry on the bottom of the bottle that the beer easily poured off of. A very rich dark brown color, with bottle-conditioned sized bubbles and a great layer of velvety foam.

Rich aromas of toffee, molasses, and carmel, all mixed with chocolate, noble hop aroma, and just a hint of generic burnt/coffee.

The flavor is of chocolate of the most delicate proportions of sweetness and richness. Sublime. Just a touch of black strap molasses, and roasted barley shows itself in small proportions. Noble hop bitterness rounds out the sweetness, neither of which are ever overwhelming, and in fact never more than a whisper. A masterpiece.

Delicate, velvety mouthfeel, dangerous drinkability. A great beer is both rich and complex, yet sophisticated and perfectly balanced, and this achieves it quite perfectly. Sticky on your lips but never too thick or cloying.

World class beer, a must seek. This could beat out Westvleteren 12 any day. (1,105 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a murkey, dark brown color with a small head that falls to a small ring over top. The nose is intense, with lots of big fig aroma, soy sauce, molasses. I like it. Very intense. The flavor is a bit different. I get some smokeyness over some soy sauce and slightly woody/tanniny flavors. Damn this beer is good. I can see why the Adam from the Wood is sooo damn good. The feel is moderate with a small to minimal carbonation. Right where I expected it to be. Drinkability is top of its class. 10%...where is it? Not in the nose...not in the flavor. Damn good beer. I will be getting more of this one. (604 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%

Sampled head-to-head with Cherry Adam 2009

A - It pours a very dark chestnut-coffee hue, capped with a small tan head that recedes to wispy froth.

S - The nose is replete with big juicy vinous notes, and a ton of seeming woody flavor impartation. Cinnamon, tobacco, vanilla and exotically spicy impressions are available as I delve deeper. The nose is fantastic and totally distinct.

T - I actually like this one better than Cherry Adam FTW. It is hugely complex, full of notes vinous, savory, woody, malty-spicy, impressions of tanned leather, and a lot of smokiness on the finish. The flavor is really not suited to transcription, but it is delicious. Also, it is worth noting that in addition to tasting excellent, this is a phenomenal example of the Old Ale style.

M - Velvety and rich, softly carbonated, very nice.

D - This is a phenomenal brew, worth seeking out, aging, etc. (887 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%

Hair of the Dog Adam, bottle purchased at Whole Foods in Manhattan for $4.99. Pricey little fucker! Batch 80, fresh from 2011.

Appearance: Pours extremely carbonated, even when popping open the cap. As a result, a humongous three-finger head forms, super frothy and fluffy, as if a Belgian brew this were. Soon it recedes to one finger, but never dies completely. Good retention then, but not great lacing. Color is a deep and opaque black, ebony overtones when swirled and looked at closer.

Smell: A ton of deep smoke, hickory perhaps. Some raisin and cherry. Dry, smoked meat hanging outside a roadside stop in Morocco, or Appalachia. This is a very primeval nose that brings to mind Native Americans hunting for salmon and smoking it shortly thereafter. There is also wood and some strong but not outrageous booze.

Taste: Follows nose, with more smoke, tartness and dry fruit (these are more subdued and less present than in the nose). Dry bitter hops round and finish the sip. Very nourishing, feels like food and country ham. I think an Appalachian miner might like this beer... A bit of spicy chocolate, tobacco leaves and sugars.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, incredibly so for a 10%. Medium body and carbonation, full flavor. Nutty dry chewy finish. An overall roasty-smoky feel. Tongue-stinging booze and heat at the end. This is a tummy-warmer!

Overall: I love Adam! Some reviewer said this is like "barleywine meets porter". I couldn't agree more. Dark, strong, sweet, roasty, black... beautiful, different. I want more. (1,536 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Bottle #3 from Libbey, this is what I've been waiting for!

A- Pours a medium brown with a 1.5 finger head

S- Lots of smoke in the nose with some malts in the background and very faint hops

T- Wow! Tons of layers here. First the malts hit you followed by smoke then leather than a little bit of hops in the end. It's a big beast of a beer thats for sure

M- Super creamy which is PERFECT for what it is

O- Love LOve LOVE this beer! Simply world claas! (454 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to FosterJM for this one!

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass at cellar temperature.

L – Ruby-brown color with an immense 5-finger tan head that does not go away. Not much lacing, though.

S – Lots of aromas in this one – rich nutty and toasted malts, toffee, molasses, chocolate, vanilla, leather, plums, and dark cherries. Very complex. I can’t wait to see what this tastes like.

T – Follows the aroma plus more. Starts off sweet with hearty nutty and toasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and rich dark fruits like plums, cherries, and figs. Finishes with earthy, leathery, and smoky flavors, along with a subtle earthy and floral hop bitterness. Tastes phenomenal.

F – Medium-to-full-bodied with not much carbonation, a sticky and chewy mouthfeel, and a smoothly bitter and dry finish. Earthiness and bitterness lingers for a great amount of time and complements the throat-warming alcohol sensation.

O – All too often, beers smell complex and leave me asking for more in the taste. Not this time. This is one of the few beers that I’ve had in which the flavor offers even more complexity than the aroma. This was delicious and insanely drinkable for a beer or its style. Great, great offering from HOTD. I’m so glad I got to try this. Thanks James! (1,296 characters)

Adam Batch 82

A- Pitch black pour with a creamy two finger light tan head. Lacing is just glued to the glass.

S- Dark fruits, slight alcohol, chocolate and coffee. Subtle leather and cherries. Very complex, everything melds together.

T- Definite stone fruits, than a quick booze taste that evolves to brown sugar, vanilla and coffee ending with a slight bitter finish.

M- Thin to medium bodied, slightly creamy and subtle carbonation.

O- Second chance at Adam and it's even better than I remembered it. (507 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours as brown as possible before you get to black with a thick, tan creamy head. Smells of dark fruits, brown sugar and toasted malt, and the flavors definitely match up. Love the sweetness, but it's balanced with some smokiness and bitterness and a trace of alcohol. Very rich and full-bodied mouthfeel. This is an awesome, complex beer that could take the place of dessert after a good meal. (394 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark brown, nice compact head retained exceptionally well, almost as if this was right off the tap or cask. Odor of smokey prunes, hickory chocolate beer. Flavor is so, so great. chewy wood and truffles with campfire smoke. Strong hops mix balance the high alcohol well. Sticky and bordering on syrupy. A fantastic example of the style and the second of two HotD beers i've tried that I've also loved. REALLY glad I got this and that i have another Fred at home to drink some day soon. (485 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my tulip out of a 12 oz bottle. Gift from Dee from Bobby’s liquors on my last trip out there. Thanks Dee!

A – Poured out a toffee brown color with about a half finger of light brown head that settles down to a nice cap. Nice slow cascade lacing.

S – Light and sweet chocolate. Roasted malts. Touch smoky with vanilla hints.

T – Starts off with a nice light sweetness that somehow rolls over to a touch of astringent bitterness. Very nice mix. Vanilla, chocolate and a cocoa powder taste follow along. Brown sugar in there. Dark fruits with raisin and figs. Complex brew.

M – Velvety smooth and creamy on the palate. Medium to big body. Ample carbonation. Slight ABV burn in it but not much.

O – This is a beauty of a beer. Big complex taste and silky smooth. Easy drinker despite alcohol. Must have more! (837 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Cwier for this beer. How I’ve missed this beer so…

Batch #68

A: Into the Riedel snifter it goes. Pours a dark chocolate brown with amber highlights. Head is full and creamy, a nice toasted marshmallow color.

S: Chocolate butter crème, cascades hops, blueberry muffin, caramelized fig and some day old coffee.

T: The flavors hit like a sledgehammer. The first flavor is like someone took high quality Belgian chocolate and cold smoked it for a couple of days. In the high notes, crisp and fresh Northwest hops come screaming through…a remarkable feat considering the other profound flavors occurring at the same time. Dark cherries and ripe raspberries add a tangy component while orange, peach and apricot come with a more subtle approach. As this beer warms, the flavors come to attention, transitioning from one experience to the next with every sip. Finishes leathery with a full array of chocolate, raisins, vanilla and smoke.

M: Full bodied and chewy.

D: In a world of copy cat beers, this one stands alone. Not only is there no other beer on the market like it, there’s nothing even close. It contains explosive flavor that defies categorization. Superb. (1,196 characters)

Batch Number 72

Pours a very dark brown with red at the edges. The head is a large, fluffy, tan color with decent retention. Some lacing but not very much.
The smell is an interesting combination of many things such as smoke, roasted malt and dark, dried fruits like figs and cherries. A lot going on here.
The taste is also complex with a nice smoke character that teases the tongue, lots of dark fruits like figs, cherries, raisins and the sweet roasted malts.
Mouthfeel is great; it's smooth, lightly carbonated and medium to thick.
Yep, very drinkable even at 10%. I could enjoy two but would prefer to have the 2nd on another cold night. There are only hints of alcohol in the aroma and taste. I like the style and this is one of the best. (745 characters)

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room