Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros

spycow, Dec 14, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

DeutschesBier, Dec 13, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch 21 reviewed on 12/11/11 (15 years and a few weeks old)

A - cloudy dark brown with hints of red and just a smattering of bubbles on the surface, though it appears to have carbonation throughout as I can see effervescence rising.

S - Tons of earth and leather. Incredibly fruity with hints of apple brandy and fig. Less smoke than the batch 21 I had about 10 months ago...okay, after opening up and warming up, the smoke is definitely there. I wonder if Alan has been using any smoked malt or if this is just due to the aging.

T - Sweet chocolate, tons of smoke (maybe I'm remembering the smoke from the taste, not smell). Rich dark caramel and vanilla with some plums on the finish. Some slight cardboard on the back of the tongue, which I don't remember 10 months ago. Not unpleasant though.

M - Still very full bodied, with very light carbonation. Slight butter on the finish, but clean otherwise

O - Insanely drinkable, complex and just a fantastic beer. This is such a perfect after dinner brew and makes me want a cigar (and I don't even smoke). I've had some of the classic old ales/barleywines that age well, but nothing holds a candle to Adam. I'm thankful Alan had the foresight so that I can enjoy this beer 15 years later. Cheers!

Updated rating: 4.0/5/4.5/4/4.5

***
Finally deciding to rate one of my favorite beers.

12 oz. bottle of batch 75 (2009) poured into a snifter on 2/9/11. Served at about 60 degrees F.

A - Pours a translucent mahogany with beautiful ruby highlights. As I drink, abstract patterns of lace form around the glass

S - Fig, molasses, maple, caramelized sugar. A slight earthy/woodiness is hidden back there somewhere but the sweet caramel/vanilla notes dominate.

T - Just the perfect amount of sweetness up front, then a balanced bitterness cleanses the palate briefly, but after swallowing, there is a huge dark toffee finish that lingers on the tongue.

M - Body is solid but not overbearing. Carbonation is present, but subtle. Still a bit hot on the finish in the back of my throat.

D - I have to refrain from just chugging this beast of a brew. The beer packs so much flavor, yet it's so balanced that I can't help but want to take sip after sip. Again, there's a bit of heat still, but it doesn't impeded the drinkability whatsoever.

Overall, one of my favorite beers ever and even thought it's the first, it's one of Alan's best. 5/4.5/4.5/4/4.5

ChrisPro, Dec 12, 2011

jophish17, Dec 11, 2011

nicks6217, Dec 11, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -12.6%

Batch 82.

Pours a dark mahogany color with a voluminous off-white head which sticks nicely to the sides of the glass.

The aromas begin with notes of toffee, caramel and a hint of chocolate for the sweetness. There is an emerging smokiness as it warms. I wish there was some fruitiness or something else to balance the dark roasted maltiness.

The tastes begin with dark roasted malts and bitter chocolate that is more pronounced than the nose. There is plenty of brown sugar sweetness. There is a mild woody, tannic feel to the beer. The finish is mildly fruity with a bit of alcohol warmth. The smokiness emerges more as it warms which is unfortunate. My least favorite flavor in beer.

The mouthfeel is quite full and chewy with a moderate carbonation. The alcohol provides a bit of warmth and as with the flavor, there is a bit of a tannic feel in the finish.

Overall Old Ales are definitely my favorite style of beer so I was slightly disappointed by this. I enjoyed the complexity of this beer but this fresh version was just not my cup of tea. I'm hoping the older bottles I have are more mellow in the smoke/ acrid roast and more fruity. We'll find out down the road I guess...

claspada, Dec 11, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -8.7%

Nearly pitch black pour small head that sticks around for awhile.

Smell is of dark fruits, roasted malts, raisins and toffee

Taste is of dark fruits, roasted malts toffee and a touch of caramel

Has a nice chewy mouthfeel to it

Big thanks to Jerz for this one, I really enjoyed it

weissbierdrinker, Dec 09, 2011

amrozga, Dec 09, 2011

mhaugo, Dec 09, 2011

happy5930, Dec 08, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -18%

Spider889, Dec 08, 2011

twelveinches, Dec 07, 2011
4.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Props to Harrymel for sending me this one!

A - Deep brown with traces of ruby red around the edges. Dense tan head that leaves great lacing. A very inviting pint.

S - A very smokey, toffee-like, acidic and alcoholic aroma with slight raisin/fig aroma in the background. Very fragrant but one can tell it's strong from just the scent.

T - Slight acidity from the start but then mellows to a molasses, smoke, candied figs/raisin flavor. The medicinal-like booze flavor (which isn't a bad thing) kicks in late with some heat and leaves a date fruit finish on the palate.

M - Heavy body with not a lot of carbonation. Fills the palate with a slight sweetness and leaves the palate semi-sweet. Slow sipper due to complexity.

O - Haven't had a lot of old ales, I tend to avoid them, but this one changed my mind. The flavor combinations are great and I love the raisin/fig aftertaste. A big beer for sure but a nice treat.

VaTechHopHead, Dec 07, 2011

jheezee, Dec 07, 2011

theformula, Dec 07, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +9.6%

Batch 72

A- pours a deep garnet tinged brown with a finger of khaki colored head. Decent retention with some spotty lacing.

S- starts out with a big dry rich malt aroma with motes of leather, tabacco and sundried dark fruit gallore. Woody mulchy hops blend in with notes of leaf and citrus. Finishes with a port character.

T- rich dark fruity malt with port like qualities up front with notes of tabacco and leather. A citrusy hop pops in the middle and transitions into woody leafy tones. Finishes dry with a rich lingering fruit and lingering balanced leafy hop bitterness.

MF- rich slick mouthfeel with a medium body. Low perfect carbonation.

D- oh so drinkable! Especially for 10%... more please.

Overall a worldclass brew!

Viciousknishs, Dec 06, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -9.1%

***Batch 73***

Picked this up at New Beer in NYC 2 years ago.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance: 4 fingers of light mocha foam above an opaque brown body that has hues of red wine in the light. Retention is pretty good though not great and a good sized amount of lacing.

Smell: Figs, light hickory, strong toffee, firewood and white chocolate(?).

Taste: Sweet dried fruit, plums, wisps of smoke, caramel, raisins, berries and could swear i taste a bit of hops. Light mix of wood and leather. I like it but i'm not totally into it.

Mouthfeel: Some mild bitterness, decent carbonation, creamy with a bit of heat in the finish.

Overall|: A solid brew but for some reason, it didn't completely grab me. I liked it but not an "A" beer for me.

papat444, Dec 05, 2011

bespin15, Dec 05, 2011

HopStoopid120, Dec 05, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle of Batch 82.

Crazy strong prune/plum smell on opening. Endlessly complex nose. Taste falls a bit short of the smell, but is still darn good. Heavily carbonated, which actually hurt the mouthfeel a bit for me. I'd prefer to have more of a classic old ale texture, which I'm sure would come with age. A first-rate sipper, but I think I like Fred more, at least fresh.

drgarage, Dec 03, 2011