1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -11.5%

12 oz bottle from batch 76. Pours a dark crimson color, fairly clear. Huge, stiff tan head. Lacing is sick.

Nose is both hoppy and malty...great balance. Toffee and burnt sugar opposed by dark fruit and pine hops.

Big time leather and chocolate, bitter smoke. Hops provide plenty of bitterness. Mouthfeel is nice, big beer but the ABV is well restrained in the flavor. I enjoyed Fred better than this one, but it is still pretty damn tasty. I would be thrilled to have a case of these hanging out in the cellar.

twiggamortis420, Jun 11, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Nice and malty with grapefruit, raisins, fudge, Belgian yeast, malt, flaked barley, orange juice, sourdough bread, bitter hops, caramel sugar, toast, brown sugar, wheat berries, agave nectar, peat, ash, grape nuts, spice, burnt spice, cranberries and herbs.

Jazzcrop, Jun 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a tulip

A.

Beer pours a dark brown that pretty much looks black. A small half fingers worth of light khaki colored head that dissipates quickly into just a small little ring.

S.

boozed soaked fruits (raisins/grapes), brown sugar with hints of leather and maybe even a little tobacco. Small port-like qualities to it as well.

T.

As expected from the nose. Caramelly dark fruits, booze, and a touch of smoke. The taste is very well balanced as no flavor really stands out from the rest. Very enjoyable!

M.

about medium bodied with low carbonation which is fine for the style IMO. A little syrupy, which I find enjoyable and VERY smooth going down...this beer is almost finished and I haven't finished my review!

O.

This is a great old ale. I think I may like it better than 4D. Dangerously drinkable and lots of great flavor. Got this in a packaged trade and may have to request some more. It should be a sipper but it goes down like nothing.

cetherid, Jun 08, 2011
3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

12oz bottle into a Maudite snifter. Batch 77

Pours black with a one finger head that dissipates into a collar of foam around the top of the beer.

Smells like sweet dark licorice up front. Molasses and dark fruits, like plums, raisins, figs, etc.

The taste is pretty similar. Chocolate, molasses, licorice up front with some dark fruits upon swallowing. Not getting too many smokey flavors in this which is somewhat disappointing. I'll have to get another batch and see what the deal is with that.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Medium bodied with a some carbonation. Honestly, if this were a bit more carbonated it'd be a little inappropriate, it's just right.

Overall, I would like to review this beer again from a different batch. Possibly a fresher one. There was little to no smoke characteristics in the beer, which were what I came to believe were a big part of the beer. But as a whole, it was not a bad beer. Just not what I think is the best bottle to represent the beer.

auroracrisis, Jun 07, 2011

Batch 79

A - Deep dark brown, almost black. Poured semi-aggressively and was surprised with an enormous head, took quite a while for this to go down - mostly my doing.

S - Caramel, brown sugar, molasses, alcohol, a little wood

T - Very sweet, much like the nose. More caramel and molasses, sweet sugar, a little burnt malts finish.

M - Relatively thin for an old ale. Goes down smooth with a much expected burn.

O - Enjoyed this beer, but it hit on most cylinders that old ale's tick on - nothing really out of the ordinary. Def a sipper, but enjoyable. I wish I would have had this beer as my first and only beer for the day - worth seeking out. I will def keep a few to cellar as I believe age will do wonders on this beer.

Bennettrox, Jun 02, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -1.2%

batch 81

pours a black color with strong tan head. Pretty good lacing. Dark, roasted malts in the smell along with dark fruit. Taste is slightly bitter, immediate warming sensation. No taste from the alcohol despite the abv, but it's presence is immediately known. Gives off the sense that it's a stout or porter, but there is something else there. It's also got a bit of sweetness. As the beer warms, hints of chocolate and vanilla pop through. This seems to be hitting lots of flavors on the spectrum, adding complexity along the way. Medium to thicker in consistency.
Overall, a fantastically different brew. It's almost like a stout mixed with a quad, without the belgian yeast.

Blanco, Jun 01, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -16.2%

Well, after all the people complaining about Lost Abbey and reviewing their flat bottles, I feel that I can fairly review this one. Batch 78, big thanks to Johngalt1 for this as an extra. High hopes for this beer.

Pours deep brown with no head, bubbling, nor lacing.

Smell like molasses, plums, raisons, leather, tobacco, and a hint of citrus. Light smell, probably due to the lack of carbonation.

Taste follows smell; opens with a huge molasses and dark fruit smack in the face. Moves into a caramel and tobacco flavor finishing with everything poking its head out and citrus makes a gentle appearance that attempts to clear the palate.

Mouthfeel is flat, but not too bad. Seeing as this is my second old ale, I can tell its not a highly carbonated beer as it is, but it could use something.

Overall, its good. A prickle of carbonation could probably kick this one up to great.

bs870621345, May 31, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Reviewed from notes; originally 4/13/11.

A-Pours a very pitch black color with about a half finger of light tan head.

S- Very rich caramel with some dark plums and figs with some flowery hops

T- Very rich caramel with dark fruits plums figs and finishes with a nice, slightly flowery bitterness.

M- Very thick and rich in your mouth but it has very well balanced carbonation and as a result a medium to thick body.

D- Ridiculously drinkable and well crafted brew. It’s so subtly complex that I keep picking up new notes every time I take a sip.

samie85, May 29, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +14.3%

*batch 77, 12 oz bottle poured into a snifter*

Subtle hints of brown around the edges are the only thing that keeps me from saying this brew pours black. A one finger, cream-colored head filled the glass quite nicely and then subsided into a thin film which produced some very nice lacing.

The initial aroma is all candied plum and raisin. As it warms, however, oak, leather, grape, subtle hints of sweet pipe tobacco, and even more sweet and fruity aromas that I just can't quite put my finger on begin to come through. Amazing.

Upon my first sip, I notice that although it drinks a lot more sweet than bitter, it's incredibly balanced. There is absolutely nothing out of place. Rich candied fruit, oak, and vanilla are the predominant flavors. Subsequent sips produce leathery, tobacco-like flavors. Alcohol, while detectable, is balanced perfectly in the background. If you haven't had this, believe me when I say, "It works". I'd love to pair this with a great steak.

Mouthfeel is on point. It's full-bodied without feeling like cough medicine or motor oil. Carbonation is perfect. It's neither fizzy nor flat.

This is a fantastic beer. I can't help but think that this would be the perfect brew to get your wine-only friend to finally break on through to the world of craft beer. This beer oozes compelexity and begs to be paired with a great meal. I'll be picking this one up again.

Betmore, May 28, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch #77. I've had this before but decided to give it another try to review it. This beer pours a medium bodied dark raisin brown that appears black after it fills your glass. It has a creamy off white head that laces the glass. It smells of oak, molasses, figs, raisins, and has light smoke. It probably has one of the best nose's I've encountered in an Old Ale. The flavors consist of oak, leather, raisins, figs, molasses, maple syrup, with a light smoky ham finish. It's superb! I'm glad I decided to try it again because it's far better than I remember it. The mouthfeel is perfect. It is very well meshed and has a nice creamy feel on the palate. It leaves a nice oaky, leathery aftertaste behind that drives me nuts. This is without a doubt one of the best Old Ales around. Kudos to HotD.

aasher, May 24, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +8.9%

Batch 77. Poured into New Belgium snifter.

A: pours a deep dark brown with auburn highlight, very little light passes through, a color of creamy tan head remains after initial pour, some lacing.

S: deep rich malts with notes of molasses, carob, caramel, honey, and oak. This has some notes reminiscent to a big imperial stout, but it smells to be much sweeter than most stouts. There is a definitely a dash of hops that come in towards the end. This is very aromatic.

T: bitter dark chocolate comes first with bold molasses and caramel to follow. Things are nicely in balance, not as sweet as the nose suggested. Nice hoppy finish to round out the flavor. The alcohol is nearly undetectable. Very nice.

MF: thick body, smooth texture, low carbonation

O: this is an incredibly delicious Old Ale that has some characteristics of an imperial stout which makes for a nice over all flavor.

homebrew311, May 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Batch # 79

I got this through a trade.

I believe Adam is the first beer released from Hair of the Dog and a hard beer to come by around these parts.

A thin layer of head pours from the bottle and quickly fizzles out to a ring around the glass. Lite brown in color with polka dotted lacing clinging to the sides of my glass.

The nose is raisins, chocolate, caramel and winter spices. An underlying aroma of smoke and alcohol comes through in the end.

The flavor is much like the aroma with dark fruits. The smoke is much more prominate in the taste and adds to the enjoyment.

This beer is surprisingly smooth as hell for 10%. Medium to thick body with a syrupy feel. Carbonation is low but works for the style.

Overall a solid beer and my first from Hair of the Dog. I look forward to trying more from this brewery. Getting them will be the difficult part.

05Harley, May 20, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF 5, courtesy of sholland119. Poured into a snifter.

A - Starts pouring with no head at all, but forms a little bit of sand-colored foam as I hold the bottle a solid foot above the glass. Very dark black/brown, completely opaque. The little bit of head I was able to force out of it is leaving pretty thick lacing, which partially makes up for its original absence.

S - Some bourbon-like vanilla, caramel, and booziness -- smells barrel-aged. Some sweet malt underneath, but I can't quite get more detail. Overall, it smells nice, but I wish the aroma were stronger (but there's a chance that's just my slight allergies getting in the way...).

T - Lots of burnt caramel, from start to finish. Some sweet vanilla as well (still seems barrel-aged), and a decent amount of alcohol. The burnt caramel flavor is especially interesting; I don't think I've tasted it so prominently before. There's also a layer of bitter, chocolatey malts, but only a little. In all, it's complex and I like it.

M - Much thinner than I'd expect, but rather smooth. There's minimal carbonation and the alcohol is a little too present at the back of my tongue.

Overall, this is interesting and quite good. I'm a fan.

abraxel, May 20, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a dark brown color with almost no head, some bubbles creeping up to the top. This is due to the low carbonation. Does leave lacing.

S - a lovely aroma of figs, caramel, brown sugar, bread puddding, and dried fruits.

T - follows the nose fairly well, with roasty flavors lingering through the finish. Sweetness is measurable, but mostly balanced by the hops. It's fairly hot and boozy - a slow sipper. Port-like.

M - very low carbonation, and fairly creamy. Not sure how I feel about this. I like the creaminess but I think carbonation would help mask the alcohol and balance the sweetness.

Overall - This was a fairly unique experience for me, being the first Old Ale I've tried. I did enjoy the flavor, and the aroma was impressive too. I really wish I had some cheese to go with this - preferably Stilton.

HotHands, May 15, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +10.5%

Batch #76

Opened with a slight hiss. Poured into a HOTD tulip glass. Pours a dark honey color and creates a glorious mocha colored head that looks like mousse. After the foam parted, a modest lacing was left behind.
This was a beautiful pour.

S: Yummy. Dried fruit/fig, caramel, malts, and a roastiness are all present. This is a complex, yet wonderful olfactory sensation.

T: All of the above smells come to life with each drink. But just a touch of alcohol adds to the experience. It lends just the right amount of warmth. Speaking of warm. As this beer warms up, the flavors only get better.

M: Velvety smoothness! The perfect balance of malts, alcohol, carbonation, and dried fruits make this a lingering delight.

D: A 10% ABV beer that is incredibly smooth and enjoyablebto drink. This is my staple beer. I could easily drink this every night and never get tired of it. I have several vintages sitting in the cellar that I can't wait to try. If you see this beer, get it. If it's not in your neck of the woods, trade for it. You will not be disappointed.

Consumed on 09-15-2010

black13, May 14, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter:

Pours a dark mocha color with a slight ruby tinge; paper thin head, even with a very aggressive pour. Leaves spots on the glass all the way down.

Smells of caramel, dried fruit, a little cocoa, and a little hoppiness. Alcohol is very mild, hardly noticeable.

Taste follows the smell, with strong dried fruit, caramel, and hoppiness. A little toasted malts, with yeast and alcohol bringing a little warmth.

Very rich, very smooth feel. Not much carbonation at all, and a little bite.

Overall, a very nice brew. Reminds me of a barleywine, with the malts turned to 11 and the alcohol hidden well. Definitely drinkable, but not too much so. Time might improve this one even more.

Airyk12, May 08, 2011
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, Bruery tulip, Batch 75.

The pour is certainly pretty, with the beer being dark auburn brown with purplish tones and the head so voluminous that I have to stop and wait to pour all twelve ounces. The large amount of head is a medium brown with medium sized bubbles and excellent retention.

I immediately smell some of the advertised descriptors such as figs and leather. Cherries covered in sweet dark chocolate, cherry wood, a wee bit of whiskey-like booze, cherry syrup, and yeast are also floating around. It's intoxicating.

Flavors are oh so close to aromas. Cherry liqueur on a brownie comes to mind. I find smoke to be a background characteristic, lingering pleasantly. The way this beer fills the mouth is luxurious and spins flavors of dried figs and cherries, fine chocolate, wood smoke, leather, and port off to excite all the taste buds.

The carbonation is exceptionally active, a little full for the finesse this fine brew promises and possesses. It is so, so close to a 5 with it's slightly syrupy body and tannic backend.

This beer that carries my name is amazing, magical even. It could be the best beer I have ever had. The combination of such rich fruitiness with rustic, not over sweetness is not like anything else I have imbibed.

brewerburgundy, May 07, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a dark dark brown color, nearly black with a rather large tan/foamy head (might have poured this one too quickly) which left some nice lacing on the glass. The smell is the best part, from dark fruits to a really smokey chocolate aroma. A slight boozy smell to it but that is mostly muted by everything else. Taste is similar to the smell but with some added hop flavor that I didn't detect. For 10% this is actually quite smooth. Just like the smell, it has a small bit of booze at the end, but that should be expected at such a high abv. It's very creamy too, and not at all lacking in carbonation.

Overall, this would be a great beer to enjoy on a cold winter day. Or anytime if you really enjoy maltier brews. It is not my "favorite" style by any means, as I'm not sure if I like the smokey taste, but I certainly appreciate what's going on here...excellent brew.

atowle25, May 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4.7%

Adam batch 77.

A: dark brown with tan head

S: smell is pleasant, dark fruits, with a bit of smokiness and hops

T: smoked malt, leather, some dark/dried fruit, mildly assertive hops at end.

M: Creamy, coating carbonation. Slick.

O/D: Good, I could have more if the price wasn't too high for that kind of activity.

jag21, May 04, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A- Dark brown and essentially opaque. ~1/2 finger of light brown head.

S- Sweet dark fruits, a bit of port, and an earthy hop note. Finishes with a solid boozy note.

T- Right in line with the aroma...the dark fruit sweetness, earthy/roasty bitter notes, and a firm alcohol finish.

M- Moderately low carbonation with a fairly-full feel. Slightly creamy.

O- Good. An interesting, enjoyable beer, that makes for a nice full flavor sipper.

Future outlook: Another beer consumed in California that isn't available around here. Glad to have tried, but not likely to come across again soon.

DoctorDog, May 04, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pours a deep murky mahogany brown with little to no head.

S: The nose is similar to barleywine meets a brown ale. The notes include heavy anise and dark fruit plumbs. Sugary goodness with a hint of chocolate.

T: The flavor is amazing. A little hoppy, chocolate, warming alcohol, smokey notes. This brew has a little of everything.

MF: Mouthfeel is a little too thin, and can benefit from a little more carbonation.

Overall, this is a solid brew with a complexity like no other. I'm really glad I had the chance to try this treat.

TKEbeerman, Apr 26, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -19.7%

Hair of the Dog - Adam

Pours a rich dark brown. Complex aroma of caramel malts, whiskey, wood and vanilla. Some alcohol lofts in as well. In the taste, barleywine like with a strong boozy note. Earthy hops are not afraid to show themselves. This was a 2010 vintage but whew, a strong one. Every bit of the 10%abv is noticed. Mouthfeel is full bodied and the alcohol sticks witgh you. Overall, young, this beer is very hot. Id like to see what some time would do to this one.

Stinkypuss, Apr 25, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4%

Batch 79.

Pours a dark copper brown with a huge 3 inch dark khaki head that fades to a tiny cap. Carbonation bubbles rush toward the bottom of the glass before rising to the top again after the pour. Good thin rings of lace around the glass on the drink down. Smells of smoked dark malts, chocolate covered chipotle peppers, and band aids. Very interesting and unusual smells for a beer. Taste is of smoked chipotle peppers, dark malts, band aids, and an earthy cocoa bean flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty flat with a thickness that makes this beer somewhat hard to drink. Overall, this is one of the most interesting and eccentric beers I have ever tried. With that being said I am not too sure I would revisit this one very often. A little too much for my tastes.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 21, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -22%

May have gotten a bad bottle because I could not get any head at all- and I poured it quite strongly. Dark color- and a nice dark fruit smell with coffee.
Quite an alcohol bite like a barley wine. Warming. Raisin and Plum are aparent, a nice mouth feel. Kind of a smokey aftertaste. I have not tried many Old Ale beers, and this one is a sipper- and only OK. Again- mine may be tainted a bit due to the lack of any head.

Glibber, Apr 18, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Batch #79 poured into a HotD tulip on 5/16/11.

Pours super dark. Looks like a stout but pours with little head and leaves moderate lacing after agitation; its what an old ale should look like. I would like to have seen some more head after the pour.

Smell is of raisons, fruit, and malt. The smell is very gentle and takes time to pull apart; its not apparent during sipping you need to look for the aromas. I would like to have had the smells be stronger to enhance the experience but what is there is alright.

Taste is very well balanced. Fruit, hops, and chocolate tastes mix well. Its a nice sipper that doesn't have an overpowering taste but is satisfying none the less. Seems like something I would like even more on a cold Minnesota night next to the fire.

Mouth feel is surprisingly a lot lighter then I expected for a beer of this color. It still has a moderate weight but that doesn't seem right whit its appearance. Almost no bite and little carbonation. Like many HotD brews this has a nice resin that sits on the pallet and lets you enjoy the flavors. This one lets you get some more molasses, tobacco, and other malts that have a mostly sweet bite slightly bitter flavor.

Overall this is a really great sipper. Not my style but very good. Nice balance, smooth swallow, and tasty. It gets some negatives for the low carbonation, little aroma, and small head but for the most part another solid brew from Hair of the Dog. Thanks guys.

UMNbeerhunter, Apr 17, 2011