1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a really dark reddish brown, but translucent held up to the light Nice ample tan head that lasts, leaving lots of lacing.

Aromas of malt, dark fruit, figs, smoke.

Tastes follow the nose, malty, smoke, sweet figs, dark cherries. Sweet and sour and smoky.

Body is medium, with crisp carbonation makes it real creamy.

The alcohol is hardly noticeable. This is one awesome beer. Why am I not drinking this regularly?

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

Overall grade reflects of best attributes of vintages I've reviewed below:

12oz bottle into snifter. Batch 77. Reviewed 06/18/2010

A: Pours a flat hazy dark purple with absolutely no head. Some small bubbles formed a weak collar around the glass after a moment.
S: Smells of blueberry concentrate, figs, raisins, blackberries, dark chocolate and alcohol vapor. Has a vinous quality to it.
T: Dark chocolate, dark fruits, prunes, figs, blueberries and dark malt. Aftertaste is spicy, slightly bitter, and has a smoky flavor to it. This beer has fruit juice qualities to it as well.
M: Medium-heavy body with a nice weight to it. There is almost no carbonation, but there is some light bubbling on your palate. Alcohol is rich and warms the throat after you swallow.
D: This beer is very similar to wine. This isn't the first bottle of HOTD beer I've opened that was almost flat (Fred). I'll have to try another bottle (from another store) and update my review. HOTD makes great beer however, and while this one wasn't my favorite offering, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Goes well after dinner.

EDIT: Batch 35 consumed 01/17/2011, bottled 01/06/1999. Huge thanks to colonelforbin for sharing this gem!

Appearance is still as flat as my pervious review but this one at least has a thin head of bubbles. The taste is crazy mellow with soft flavors and a smidge of oxidation. Not as similar to wine as my above review suggested. There is absolutely zero alcohol warmth to this, and overall it is still a touch sweet. Overall, this beer was still very very drinkable if not better after 11 years!

EDIT: Batch 6 (what!?) consumed 8/2012. Label reads "Adambier" and not Adam. Super old, thanks Mike.

Deep raisin brown with more carbonation than the above vintages (interesting). Muddy smelling and def not as sweet. Caramel and raisins are muted, still some notes of figs and sweet fruits. This actually drinks really well but it's obviously a shell of itself and muddled. No oxidization though, very impressive. Tastes better than some old ales after only a year or two of age.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

12oz bottle, batch 72. Pours a ruddy dark brown with hints of copper, a finger of off white head adorns it.

Aroma is molasses, figs, and leather. Flavor follows suit but adds a slight metallic note, lots of layers, dark fruits, leather, burnt brown sugar, not much hop presence just a light drying in the finish, hint of smoke, cocoa powder, spicy rum. Some sweetness, on par bulky mouthfeel for style, low carbonation, silky. Certainly unique and I kinda dig it, no problems finishing a bottle.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Bottle shared by Eric - cheers fella!

Rich brown pour with just under a finger of off-white head. Some lace spots as it drops to a film. Nice aroma combines brown sugar, earth, alcohol, dates and a hint of leather. Real nice and intriguing. Flavour not so much. Smoke, leather and ink make for an interesting beer, but do nothing for me, and I find the taste slightly unpleasant, which is surprising as I usually dig old ales. The elements I do like are present (Dark fruits, brown sugar, warming alcohol), but they're interrupted to often to gain any traction. Certainly the most leathery tasting beer I've had, and maybe I just don't get it. Body and mouthfeel is more or less where it should be for the style, with a heavy weight and restrained carbonation.

I've not had much success with Hair of the Dog, and I struggle to see the basis for their great reputation. This made for an interesting beer, but interesting isn't always good.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to cbutova for splitting this, been looking forward to trying some HotD. Batch 74, I believe this is from sometime in 08-09.

Pours dark brown, almost purple looking from the top. Off-white head retains nicely and leaves some lacing.

Very good smell. Lots of caramel, dark fruit and leather.

Lots of smoke comes out in the taste, probably the highlight of this beer and compliments the other flavors excellently. Figs and dark fruit are also very prevalent. Caramel, vanilla. The booze shows itself only in a nice rum flavor. Some hops. Great, complex stuff.

Mouthfeel was good overall, maybe a bit overcarbonated for my tastes.

12oz wouldn't be a difficult task by any means, but I was pretty satisfied after my 6oz serving. This was much better than I expected, I'd love to try it again.

**4/1/11 - more notes, no scores changed**
Some notes from a Batch 76 bottle I picked up a while back in Philly, a little over a year old at this point I believe. Smell and taste are excellent, with rich flavors of caramel, dark fruit, leather and tobacco shining in all their glory and lingering forever. Unfortunately I could tell from the pour that this was just about flat and I was correct. Mouthfeel is watery and pretty much flat but the flavors are so good it makes up for it for the most part. Like I kinda noted in my original review, 6oz goes down easily, 12oz is a bit more tolling because of the richness. I also had a flat Cherry Adam a couple months ago, so I'm a bit weary of HotD's beers in fear of carbonation issues, but in regular Adam's case to me it's a small chink in the armor of awesomeness.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Reviewed from notes at an awesome mini-tasting. What a crazy beer to flagship with. Style taken into account fairly heavily in this review. Batch 74.

A- Very dark brown with a small dark tan cap that leaves a nice cloud atop the beer's center. The random patterns are nice and the cloud re-appears after every sip. A good ring leaves some spotty lace and very sticky suds.

S- Smoke and cocoa are very nice up front. Roasty malt notes as well with a some caramel. Dark raisiny fruit, slight alcohol with vanilla end a balanced aroma of good strength. Burnt sugar.

T- Damn, lots of flavors blended into smoke that reminds of chipotles. It is like taking the smoke out of chipotles. The cocoa mixes with the smoke amazing. Dark fruit, grapes, raisins and alcohol also work into the flavor. The hops are still there in a bottle that might be fairly old, they are mostly earthy. Caramel is there but not overbearing like in many Old Ales. Love, love, love the smoke and new-old take on the style.

MF- Moderate body and carbonation. Nice and creamy. Smoke coats the palate with a decent amount of heat from the alcohol.

DB- Love the big smoke flavors. The big surprise of the night for both Chico and I. Expensive but it is definitely a one bottle thing or a dessert beer like they suggest. Awesome.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Label reads 'Batch 78'

Appearance -- Pours a deep, dark brown, nearly black, totally opaque. A good two fingers of creamy khaki head that slowly dissipates but never completely disappears.

Smell -- Toffee, caramel, dates and figs, hops, some minty/herbal notes, and a little bit of smoke. Overall: sweet and earthy.

Taste -- Molasses, highly caramelized malts, dates, leather, charcoal, herbal/bitter hops. Finish is molasses, leather, and mint. Alcohol presence is felt, but somehow not a hindrance.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied, creamy carbonation, coats the mouth.

Drinkability -- Decadent, earthy, and incredibly drinkable for the body and abv. The dark roast and the heavy hop addition lend a really deep, earthy flavor that prevents this beer from becoming too sweet and cloying. Can't wait to drink this again!

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured this beer into a nonic at 51 degrees.

Appearance: A light cream ring around the glass with some foam on the top. I think that the head is non existent because of the alcohol content. The color of the beer is dark brown oil color. The clarity is opaque. There is some effervescence on the sides of the glass.

Nose: A rich malty aroma, toffee, chocolate, dark cherries, molasses, a nuttiness, and solvents. There are notes of phenols, port, and a fruity ester.

Taste: A very rich thick and chewy malty beer. There are flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dark dried cherries, molasses, solvents, nuttiness, and toffee. There are notes of phenols, fruity esters, and wood.

The mouth feel is rich, chewy, and filling.

Overall: The body of the beer is thick and full. The finish is complete and full. This beer has a lot of complex flavors and layers. There is a nice flavor in the beer and is very easy to drink. I am very glad that I got to drink it.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a dark and thick brown, almost black. There is no head.

It is a bit cold at the moment and the aromas are quite subtle. I get dark fruit (fig) leather and some dark roasted malts. As it warms I pick up sweet malt and molasses as well.

First sip is very good, rich and dark. I get a wonderful tawny port taste as well as dark malts and some dark, ripe fruit. There is a noticeable alcohol presence as well. This beer has a very mellow carbonation, I think I would like it with a bit more. This beer coats the tongue with a sweet fig and dark fruit that transitions into the dark, tawny port flavor with a bit of roasted malt and a nice hop bitterness to balance out the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick with low carbonation.

This is a very intense and flavorful beer with an overall sweet taste and a nice balance of dark fruit, malt and hops. Quite unique and interesting, my only qualm is the low carbonation which could be just this bottle due to the carbonation being formed by bottle conditioning.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was the first Old Ale I liked, and has made me a convert. Pours a dark brown/gray/black with a small head (some times there is less carb, on tap there was a bit more). The aroma is complex: dark fruits, dust, caramel, earth. Taste is more of the same with the dark fruits up front with caramel and some tamed sweetness, the dusty smokey flavors in act two, and some sweetness mixed with dirt at the end with a mild alcohol warming. Mouthfeel is medium heavy and very pleasant. Quite drinkable for what it is, and feels like a true 10% on the brain.

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Opaque Dark chocolate colored with a thick tan head. Nice lacing.

S: Chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, ripe fruit.

T: Complex flavors. Sweet upfront, mild chocolate, roasted malts, ripe fruits. Hops lend a pleasent spiciness. Bitterness is present, but well balanced with the sweet.

M: Excellent. Creamy texture, with nice mild carbonation. Flavors hang on the tongue for a long time. Alcohol warmth in there as well.

D: Even though this is full of big flavors, it is smooth and well balanced. I found this to be a very nice beer and look foreward to another.

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Dark brown. Has a large, creamy looking tan head, with large bubbles off a gentle pour. Smells of sweet caramel malt, raisins, figs, currants, alcohol, and black licorice.

The taste is exactly what I expected from the aroma. Very sweet, somewhat boozy, and has the taste of caramel malt, raisins, figs, currants, alcohol, and black licorice.

Full bodied, nice carbonation, smooth, and creamy. This is a nice drinkable beer, which I will need to buy again online, when I get a chance. I only wish this beer was somewhat less sweet.

4.61/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Batch 77: Poured a smooth cola-tinged black into a tulip with no head, just a thin ring of bubbles along the outside edge. Slightly sweet aroma of toffee, cocoa, leather, smoke, and boozy warmth.

Very low carbonation and a smooth, syrupy mouthfeel. Sweet up front with hints of dark fruit, raisin, molasses, smoke, and a nice kick of mildly spicy hops on the lingering, smoky, and slightly metallic finish. Alcohol is definitely present but complements rather than overwhelms the flavors.

I've revised my original review of this brew several times. At first I found the mouthfeel to be both syrupy and somewhat thin, and thought the overall malt profile was too sweet. However, something about this beer kept me thinking about it and I revisited it several times before coming to the conclusion that it's actually one of my favorites. Unique, complex, and flavorful...I'll sacrifice a little carbonation and mouthfeel for the great favors and aromas it provide (and the wallop it packs ain't bad, either).

Update two: having tried several batches since 77, I've found that most are much more carbonated and improve the feel quite a bit. Now this is hands-down one of my favorite beers.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Beautiful dark brown with a good sized beige tan head. The lacing is some of the best I've seen, stays very nicely and fades slowly.

S - Some sweet candy smell coffee, chocolate, along with sweet fruit. Also has some wood and malty notes.

T - Has a stronger wood taste than the smell. It also has a nice chocolate taste and some sweet dark fruits and malt. This beer becomes more complex as it warms

M - Very smooth mouthfeel with a light but adequate amount of carbonation. This beer is thick and creamy.

D - Very good complex beer but I don't seem myself having too many.

Overall really enjoyed and was surprised by this beer. Complex tasty and easy to sip.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%

Exceeded expectations.

Appearance: Pour is a deep black mahogany, nice creamy chocolate head, good lacing

Smell & taste: Roasted malt, light oxidation, toffee, caramel, dark fruits (dates, raisins, plums), leather, tobacco, dark fruit, molasses, dark rum, faint coffee and smoak

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full

Drinkability: For 10% this is off the charts, alcohol completely hidden

This one is world class, Matt takes it up a notch to out of this world

*NB - the 2011 batch is inferior to the prior batch.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle at pope for 7.50 what a steal.

A- pours a ruddy dark brown with a solid finger of frothy tan head.

S- raisins, dates, figs, all soaked in port and dipped in chocolate.

T- dried fruit and that port again up front and lots of em. Deep roasty malts with chocolate and molasses. Dark toasted bread and brown sugar.

M- full bodied and medium carb. The chewyness really works with this brew and the carb does just enough to keep things moving but subdued enough to let the brew sit and stay awhile. No heat at all and for this abv damn thay good.

D- well for 10 abv and about as much flavor as one can cram into a beer its super fucking drinkable. Oh yea I love it too.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into my Weyerbacher tulip glass from the bottle I have been aging now for about 3 months. Have several other bottles that I am letting sit for a while.

A - Dark brown to almost black on this one. Head is almost non-existant, but there is a lovely caramel color that sits on the top for a bit until it subdues into a nice slight off-white lacing around the edge ofthe glass.

S - Sugary, smokey, sweet, dark fruits like dates, very red grapes, dare I saw raisins? I get a slight hint of tobacco right towards the end of the breath. To be honest this really reminds me of the smell of the Palo Santo from DFH.

T - Wow. Rich, smokey, fruity, sugary, absolutely fantastic. It tastes dark and rich with the sweetness it needs. Obviously very malty with a slight hop presence that just lingers towards the end.

M - Velvet. Hands down. A slight carbonation longers on my tongue ever so slightly. Just smooth and spectacular.

D - I will say that towards the end of the bottle, you do notice how sugary the beer is. With that said, I honestly cannot tell that this is a 10% beer. If my tastebuds recover fast enough, I may have to have another.

Honestly one of the best tasting beers I have had in a long time. Complex, dark and everything that I would want in something labeled a "Hearty Old World Ale."

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a very, very dark brown that is almost stout like, but it allows some orangish brown color to shine through when put up to a light. This particular bottle (batch 76) has no head at all and very little carbonation. The aroma is quite sweet with plenty of dark sugar notes and some smokiness, as well as some alcohol. Seems pretty subdued for style. So far I am not impressed. The taste, however, is another story. Sweet, smokey, roasty, rich and delectable. It also has some cocoa notes and perhaps some tobacco like flavors as well. Dark dried fruit, maybe a bit of anise, leather? There is considerable alcoholic strength in there as well, but this beer masks it well. This is one masculine beer. I can see myself drinking this in a garage while smoking a cheap cigar. The body is pretty full, and very smooth. This is likely due to the fact that it has almost no carbonation, but it is smooth none the less. The finish is decent, but leaves a wonderful lingering roasty smokiness that is quite nice. This is also one of the more drinkable old ales I have had. This would go awesome with BBQ of any sort. This was a total random buy from my wife, and I will definitely seek it out again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Batch 76

A- A deep, leathery brown with a creamy mocha head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Smoke, raisins, oak, cherries, and a touch of alcohol. Pretty strong and unique.

T- The smoke aspect blends really nicely with the oak, raisins, and cherries. Very strong flavors, but nothing overwhelms. Amazing.

M- Creamy but also numbing from the alcohol. The flavors persist for quite some time.

D- This beer means serious business. It makes for an excellent sipper. Very unique and enjoyable. Worth seeking out.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to hoppymcgee for the extra. 12oz. bottle served at 49 degrees in my Old Stock snifter. Batch #73 indicated on the label. Poured the color and clarity of cola with a dense, 2.5 inch creamy, khaki-colored head. Head exhibits excellent retention, barely allowing for the glass to be refreshed, before condensing into a solid quarter inch head with a band of lacing that coats the bowl of the glass down to the cap. Nose reveals dark fruit (plums and prunes), cocoa and perhaps a slightly metallic character. Taste follows nose; however some acidity hits early on and there is also a slightly roast/smokey quality in the mix that lingers between quaffs. A bit of alcohol also professes itself towards the middle and nicely muddles with the sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a lively effervescence and a slightly viscous, although not heavy across the tongue. Really tasty, complex and enjoyable. This one might be a little young, but has great potential for cellaring. Now if I can only score myself a few more bottles.

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

Thrilled to see HotD on the shelves of House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a snifter: Blackness. Shiny black, I can see myself clearly in it. Moderate rising bubbles join the mocha ring of head around the edge.

Smells of rich stewed prunes & caramel, a little semi-sweet chocolate. I get so into sniffing it, eyes closed, that I get too close & accidentally snort some up my nose. Durp!

Big, rich taste of vanilla & strong, dark fruits (plum, fig, a little cherry), alcohol bite. Smooths out into caramel & a little cocoa, with a roasty acidity that retains its edge. This comes in strong & doesn't mess around, big flavor, pretty great. The only thing that detracts for me is the alcohol, & that mellows out moderately. Aftertaste is roast & cocoa, with a moderate dryness.

Damn! About halfway in, a delicious rauch-like, bacon taste develops. Love it.

Thick & chewy, very full. It's like it expands in my mouth. Again, the acidity is a tiny minus, but not overwhelming.

Awesome! Great flavors, texture. The only thing standing in the way of putting this over the top is the strength of the alcohol, resulting in intoxication & slight sharpness in the taste & feel. I bet a year or so would really put this one in the sweet spot.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- beep, dark mahogany with a beautiful inch of tan head that retained very well and laced even better

S- very musky molasses, raisins, figs, black cherries, tobacco, and bready malts

T- molasses, plenty of dark fruit and chocolate, caramel, coffee, some smoke, and some alcohol warmth

M- chewy and thick as almost anything I've tasted in recent memory, with boozy aftertaste

D- for the style and strength, it's pretty good- yet it still takes awhile to tame this beast

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Poured from the bottle into a Piraat glass that's kind of a snifter/tulip hybrid. Body is dark brown - almost black - with some ruby- or mahogany-ish hues on the edges when backlit. Moderately aggressive pour, but almost no head. Slow-rising bubbles lead to a tan, thin film on top. Some splotches of lace left after each sip, however.

S: First impression: port wine. Plenty of dried fruit -- raisins and figs come to mind. Also basic fruits, think rum-soaked berries, maybe, and something more sweet (molasses, I think).

T: Incredibly complex. Just so much going on I'm not sure where to start -- and yet it all blends together nicely. Those dark fruits are definitely there up front -- mainly raisins. Also a hint of chocolate towards the middle of the sip (becoming more pronounced as it warms), along with molasses. Finishes with nice hop bitterness - having trouble identifying the bitterness through all that sweet and fruity heft underneath, but at times I'm thinking pine. Also a pleasant waft of alcohol -- both heat and a touch of spice are evident, but there's neither burn nor heartburn. Alcohol also has a drying effect that cuts the sweetness. Black licorice shows up towards the back end after a few sips. As it warms there's a bit more alcohol noted on the finish.

M: Just lighter than full-bodied. Smooth, not a lot of carbonation.

D: Very good for a beer of this strength and complexity, though as it warmed the alcohol slowed down the drinkability. Sacrilege as it may sound with a beer of this style, I preferred it cold. . . . Will seek this out again and age a couple bottles; I got this one at Halftime in Poughkeepsie a few months ago and have no idea when it was bottled. Curious as to what some age could do to this. . . .

Notes: I'm not a cigar smoker, but I have a feeling this would go well with a good stogie.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

Found my notes for this beer. A friend brought this back from NYC.

The aroma is huge and malty. Loads of figs, fruits, tobacco and some alcohol.

This beer is delicious. By far the best Old Ale I have had. Big figgy/fruity malts, caramel and slight alcohol.

This is a strong beer but it is strong in such a good way.

Drinkablility is such that I wish I had more and it made me not want to have to share the bottle haha.

4.81/5  rDev +12.9%

Batch 74.

Pours a near-black hue with garnet highlights. Beige head laces beautifully and retains well.

Aroma is fantastic: big maltiness, with notes of chocolate, fig and tobacco.

Flavor is quite simply amazing. This is a huge malt bomb that occupies rarefied territory somewhere between barleywine, doppelbock, quad and strong ale. There is a big roasty, chocolatey flavor from the dark specialty malts, along with ripe yet dark fruity flavors thanks to the extensive malt bill, or so I'd imagine (would love to get my hands on this recipe!). There is a touch of earthy hops on the finish, adding to the extraordinarily well-balanced character of this beer. The alcohol is only noticeable in warmth during the drink, not in flavor. Mouthfeel is very chewy and thick.

Truly outstanding. My head floated away in malt-lover ecstasy as I drank this. A near perfect beer.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room