Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured this beer into a nonic at 51 degrees.

Appearance: A light cream ring around the glass with some foam on the top. I think that the head is non existent because of the alcohol content. The color of the beer is dark brown oil color. The clarity is opaque. There is some effervescence on the sides of the glass.

Nose: A rich malty aroma, toffee, chocolate, dark cherries, molasses, a nuttiness, and solvents. There are notes of phenols, port, and a fruity ester.

Taste: A very rich thick and chewy malty beer. There are flavors of bittersweet chocolate, dark dried cherries, molasses, solvents, nuttiness, and toffee. There are notes of phenols, fruity esters, and wood.

The mouth feel is rich, chewy, and filling.

Overall: The body of the beer is thick and full. The finish is complete and full. This beer has a lot of complex flavors and layers. There is a nice flavor in the beer and is very easy to drink. I am very glad that I got to drink it.

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a dark and thick brown, almost black. There is no head.

It is a bit cold at the moment and the aromas are quite subtle. I get dark fruit (fig) leather and some dark roasted malts. As it warms I pick up sweet malt and molasses as well.

First sip is very good, rich and dark. I get a wonderful tawny port taste as well as dark malts and some dark, ripe fruit. There is a noticeable alcohol presence as well. This beer has a very mellow carbonation, I think I would like it with a bit more. This beer coats the tongue with a sweet fig and dark fruit that transitions into the dark, tawny port flavor with a bit of roasted malt and a nice hop bitterness to balance out the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick with low carbonation.

This is a very intense and flavorful beer with an overall sweet taste and a nice balance of dark fruit, malt and hops. Quite unique and interesting, my only qualm is the low carbonation which could be just this bottle due to the carbonation being formed by bottle conditioning.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This was the first Old Ale I liked, and has made me a convert. Pours a dark brown/gray/black with a small head (some times there is less carb, on tap there was a bit more). The aroma is complex: dark fruits, dust, caramel, earth. Taste is more of the same with the dark fruits up front with caramel and some tamed sweetness, the dusty smokey flavors in act two, and some sweetness mixed with dirt at the end with a mild alcohol warming. Mouthfeel is medium heavy and very pleasant. Quite drinkable for what it is, and feels like a true 10% on the brain.

4.43/5  rDev +4%

A: Opaque Dark chocolate colored with a thick tan head. Nice lacing.

S: Chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, ripe fruit.

T: Complex flavors. Sweet upfront, mild chocolate, roasted malts, ripe fruits. Hops lend a pleasent spiciness. Bitterness is present, but well balanced with the sweet.

M: Excellent. Creamy texture, with nice mild carbonation. Flavors hang on the tongue for a long time. Alcohol warmth in there as well.

D: Even though this is full of big flavors, it is smooth and well balanced. I found this to be a very nice beer and look foreward to another.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Dark brown. Has a large, creamy looking tan head, with large bubbles off a gentle pour. Smells of sweet caramel malt, raisins, figs, currants, alcohol, and black licorice.

The taste is exactly what I expected from the aroma. Very sweet, somewhat boozy, and has the taste of caramel malt, raisins, figs, currants, alcohol, and black licorice.

Full bodied, nice carbonation, smooth, and creamy. This is a nice drinkable beer, which I will need to buy again online, when I get a chance. I only wish this beer was somewhat less sweet.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Batch 77: Poured a smooth cola-tinged black into a tulip with no head, just a thin ring of bubbles along the outside edge. Slightly sweet aroma of toffee, cocoa, leather, smoke, and boozy warmth.

Very low carbonation and a smooth, syrupy mouthfeel. Sweet up front with hints of dark fruit, raisin, molasses, smoke, and a nice kick of mildly spicy hops on the lingering, smoky, and slightly metallic finish. Alcohol is definitely present but complements rather than overwhelms the flavors.

I've revised my original review of this brew several times. At first I found the mouthfeel to be both syrupy and somewhat thin, and thought the overall malt profile was too sweet. However, something about this beer kept me thinking about it and I revisited it several times before coming to the conclusion that it's actually one of my favorites. Unique, complex, and flavorful...I'll sacrifice a little carbonation and mouthfeel for the great favors and aromas it provide (and the wallop it packs ain't bad, either).

Update two: having tried several batches since 77, I've found that most are much more carbonated and improve the feel quite a bit. Now this is hands-down one of my favorite beers.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Beautiful dark brown with a good sized beige tan head. The lacing is some of the best I've seen, stays very nicely and fades slowly.

S - Some sweet candy smell coffee, chocolate, along with sweet fruit. Also has some wood and malty notes.

T - Has a stronger wood taste than the smell. It also has a nice chocolate taste and some sweet dark fruits and malt. This beer becomes more complex as it warms

M - Very smooth mouthfeel with a light but adequate amount of carbonation. This beer is thick and creamy.

D - Very good complex beer but I don't seem myself having too many.

Overall really enjoyed and was surprised by this beer. Complex tasty and easy to sip.

4.12/5  rDev -3.3%

Exceeded expectations.

Appearance: Pour is a deep black mahogany, nice creamy chocolate head, good lacing

Smell & taste: Roasted malt, light oxidation, toffee, caramel, dark fruits (dates, raisins, plums), leather, tobacco, dark fruit, molasses, dark rum, faint coffee and smoak

Mouthfeel: Creamy and full

Drinkability: For 10% this is off the charts, alcohol completely hidden

This one is world class, Matt takes it up a notch to out of this world

*NB - the 2011 batch is inferior to the prior batch.

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle at pope for 7.50 what a steal.

A- pours a ruddy dark brown with a solid finger of frothy tan head.

S- raisins, dates, figs, all soaked in port and dipped in chocolate.

T- dried fruit and that port again up front and lots of em. Deep roasty malts with chocolate and molasses. Dark toasted bread and brown sugar.

M- full bodied and medium carb. The chewyness really works with this brew and the carb does just enough to keep things moving but subdued enough to let the brew sit and stay awhile. No heat at all and for this abv damn thay good.

D- well for 10 abv and about as much flavor as one can cram into a beer its super fucking drinkable. Oh yea I love it too.

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into my Weyerbacher tulip glass from the bottle I have been aging now for about 3 months. Have several other bottles that I am letting sit for a while.

A - Dark brown to almost black on this one. Head is almost non-existant, but there is a lovely caramel color that sits on the top for a bit until it subdues into a nice slight off-white lacing around the edge ofthe glass.

S - Sugary, smokey, sweet, dark fruits like dates, very red grapes, dare I saw raisins? I get a slight hint of tobacco right towards the end of the breath. To be honest this really reminds me of the smell of the Palo Santo from DFH.

T - Wow. Rich, smokey, fruity, sugary, absolutely fantastic. It tastes dark and rich with the sweetness it needs. Obviously very malty with a slight hop presence that just lingers towards the end.

M - Velvet. Hands down. A slight carbonation longers on my tongue ever so slightly. Just smooth and spectacular.

D - I will say that towards the end of the bottle, you do notice how sugary the beer is. With that said, I honestly cannot tell that this is a 10% beer. If my tastebuds recover fast enough, I may have to have another.

Honestly one of the best tasting beers I have had in a long time. Complex, dark and everything that I would want in something labeled a "Hearty Old World Ale."

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a very, very dark brown that is almost stout like, but it allows some orangish brown color to shine through when put up to a light. This particular bottle (batch 76) has no head at all and very little carbonation. The aroma is quite sweet with plenty of dark sugar notes and some smokiness, as well as some alcohol. Seems pretty subdued for style. So far I am not impressed. The taste, however, is another story. Sweet, smokey, roasty, rich and delectable. It also has some cocoa notes and perhaps some tobacco like flavors as well. Dark dried fruit, maybe a bit of anise, leather? There is considerable alcoholic strength in there as well, but this beer masks it well. This is one masculine beer. I can see myself drinking this in a garage while smoking a cheap cigar. The body is pretty full, and very smooth. This is likely due to the fact that it has almost no carbonation, but it is smooth none the less. The finish is decent, but leaves a wonderful lingering roasty smokiness that is quite nice. This is also one of the more drinkable old ales I have had. This would go awesome with BBQ of any sort. This was a total random buy from my wife, and I will definitely seek it out again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Batch 76

A- A deep, leathery brown with a creamy mocha head that leaves some nice lacing.

S- Smoke, raisins, oak, cherries, and a touch of alcohol. Pretty strong and unique.

T- The smoke aspect blends really nicely with the oak, raisins, and cherries. Very strong flavors, but nothing overwhelms. Amazing.

M- Creamy but also numbing from the alcohol. The flavors persist for quite some time.

D- This beer means serious business. It makes for an excellent sipper. Very unique and enjoyable. Worth seeking out.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to hoppymcgee for the extra. 12oz. bottle served at 49 degrees in my Old Stock snifter. Batch #73 indicated on the label. Poured the color and clarity of cola with a dense, 2.5 inch creamy, khaki-colored head. Head exhibits excellent retention, barely allowing for the glass to be refreshed, before condensing into a solid quarter inch head with a band of lacing that coats the bowl of the glass down to the cap. Nose reveals dark fruit (plums and prunes), cocoa and perhaps a slightly metallic character. Taste follows nose; however some acidity hits early on and there is also a slightly roast/smokey quality in the mix that lingers between quaffs. A bit of alcohol also professes itself towards the middle and nicely muddles with the sugary sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a lively effervescence and a slightly viscous, although not heavy across the tongue. Really tasty, complex and enjoyable. This one might be a little young, but has great potential for cellaring. Now if I can only score myself a few more bottles.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Thrilled to see HotD on the shelves of House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a snifter: Blackness. Shiny black, I can see myself clearly in it. Moderate rising bubbles join the mocha ring of head around the edge.

Smells of rich stewed prunes & caramel, a little semi-sweet chocolate. I get so into sniffing it, eyes closed, that I get too close & accidentally snort some up my nose. Durp!

Big, rich taste of vanilla & strong, dark fruits (plum, fig, a little cherry), alcohol bite. Smooths out into caramel & a little cocoa, with a roasty acidity that retains its edge. This comes in strong & doesn't mess around, big flavor, pretty great. The only thing that detracts for me is the alcohol, & that mellows out moderately. Aftertaste is roast & cocoa, with a moderate dryness.

Damn! About halfway in, a delicious rauch-like, bacon taste develops. Love it.

Thick & chewy, very full. It's like it expands in my mouth. Again, the acidity is a tiny minus, but not overwhelming.

Awesome! Great flavors, texture. The only thing standing in the way of putting this over the top is the strength of the alcohol, resulting in intoxication & slight sharpness in the taste & feel. I bet a year or so would really put this one in the sweet spot.

4.1/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- beep, dark mahogany with a beautiful inch of tan head that retained very well and laced even better

S- very musky molasses, raisins, figs, black cherries, tobacco, and bready malts

T- molasses, plenty of dark fruit and chocolate, caramel, coffee, some smoke, and some alcohol warmth

M- chewy and thick as almost anything I've tasted in recent memory, with boozy aftertaste

D- for the style and strength, it's pretty good- yet it still takes awhile to tame this beast

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Poured from the bottle into a Piraat glass that's kind of a snifter/tulip hybrid. Body is dark brown - almost black - with some ruby- or mahogany-ish hues on the edges when backlit. Moderately aggressive pour, but almost no head. Slow-rising bubbles lead to a tan, thin film on top. Some splotches of lace left after each sip, however.

S: First impression: port wine. Plenty of dried fruit -- raisins and figs come to mind. Also basic fruits, think rum-soaked berries, maybe, and something more sweet (molasses, I think).

T: Incredibly complex. Just so much going on I'm not sure where to start -- and yet it all blends together nicely. Those dark fruits are definitely there up front -- mainly raisins. Also a hint of chocolate towards the middle of the sip (becoming more pronounced as it warms), along with molasses. Finishes with nice hop bitterness - having trouble identifying the bitterness through all that sweet and fruity heft underneath, but at times I'm thinking pine. Also a pleasant waft of alcohol -- both heat and a touch of spice are evident, but there's neither burn nor heartburn. Alcohol also has a drying effect that cuts the sweetness. Black licorice shows up towards the back end after a few sips. As it warms there's a bit more alcohol noted on the finish.

M: Just lighter than full-bodied. Smooth, not a lot of carbonation.

D: Very good for a beer of this strength and complexity, though as it warmed the alcohol slowed down the drinkability. Sacrilege as it may sound with a beer of this style, I preferred it cold. . . . Will seek this out again and age a couple bottles; I got this one at Halftime in Poughkeepsie a few months ago and have no idea when it was bottled. Curious as to what some age could do to this. . . .

Notes: I'm not a cigar smoker, but I have a feeling this would go well with a good stogie.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%

Found my notes for this beer. A friend brought this back from NYC.

The aroma is huge and malty. Loads of figs, fruits, tobacco and some alcohol.

This beer is delicious. By far the best Old Ale I have had. Big figgy/fruity malts, caramel and slight alcohol.

This is a strong beer but it is strong in such a good way.

Drinkablility is such that I wish I had more and it made me not want to have to share the bottle haha.

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Batch 74.

Pours a near-black hue with garnet highlights. Beige head laces beautifully and retains well.

Aroma is fantastic: big maltiness, with notes of chocolate, fig and tobacco.

Flavor is quite simply amazing. This is a huge malt bomb that occupies rarefied territory somewhere between barleywine, doppelbock, quad and strong ale. There is a big roasty, chocolatey flavor from the dark specialty malts, along with ripe yet dark fruity flavors thanks to the extensive malt bill, or so I'd imagine (would love to get my hands on this recipe!). There is a touch of earthy hops on the finish, adding to the extraordinarily well-balanced character of this beer. The alcohol is only noticeable in warmth during the drink, not in flavor. Mouthfeel is very chewy and thick.

Truly outstanding. My head floated away in malt-lover ecstasy as I drank this. A near perfect beer.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Thick almost black body with a small tan head that fades quickly but regenerate easily with a swirl. This is limited carbonation, it sits fairly still in the glass. The aromas are huge, tons of roasted malts with notes of chocolate, and a touch of coffee, before some peaty, almost soily aromas. The taste is rich and just as big as the aroma suggests. Heavy roasted malts up from, with more chocolate, molasses, caramalised sugars, and a rich roasted coffee. Towards the end the bitterness begins to take over with the woody peat flavours entwined with a dry hoppiness. Truly remarkable beer. Hope I get chance to get my hands on this again.

Picked up from the Foodery in Northern Liberties, Philly.

Poured a near black. No head whatsoever. Actually, pretty much no carbonation whatsoever. Looks like a glass of flat coke.

Aroma is a bittersweet chocolate and dark fruits. Heavier on the malt than hops.

Taste bears a heavy booze characteristic. Raisins and dark grape. A bit vinous. More hop presence in the flavors than the nose.

This is my first taste of a beer of this style. Not really my bag, but from what I understand of the style, this fits in nicely. I'd recommend, but wouldn't pick up again for myself.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

The nose here is at first reminiscent of a barleywine (raisiny, sweet), then an imperial stout (chocolatey, roasty), and ultimately an outstanding cabernet (earthy and leathery notes on top of dark fruits and floral perfumes). I find this to be an ideal complexity - notable not for its blunt force but for the way it continues to surprise. Cigar box certainly comes to mind.

The palate drops off just a bit. Barleywine-type sweetness is much more prevalent in this dimension, although it interacts in interesting ways with a darker, roasted quality. At the same time a lighter, floral, hoppy quality lingers. The finish is warm in a pleasing way.

This beer is quite thick and lightly carbonated, in a manner that suits it well. Outstanding beer for slow sipping and contemplation. Demands careful attention.

3.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Drinking from batch 59. I bought this one a while ago and didn't realize it was already old when I bought it.

This beer pours a very dark reddish brown with about a finger thick head to it.

As far as smell goes it's a little tart and alcohol filled and reminds me of some Belgium brews.

The taste is totally different from what the smell indicates. It's very earthy with a little bit of hops to it. Getting some oak and dark dried fruit flavors in there.

Overall it's an ok beer. I'd definitely buy it again if I could find it locally but from what I have found it seems like this stuff does not make it out here to Mass at all any more so I will just have to savor this bottle for now.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in Portland, OR on 2010-01-31

A - Pours a dark brown with a short tan head

S - Plums and figs

T - Dark chocolate and figgy pudding with some sourness, leather and smoke.

M - Light body and carbonation

D - Obviously a well-made brew but the unique flavors were fine for a treat but not a session.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

A: The pour is a dark mahogany color with a voluminous off-white head which sticks nicely to the sides of the glass.

S: The nose offers up notes of toffee, caramel, and a hint of chocolate for the sweetness. There is also a bit of tart, dark fruits such as cherries, grapes, and raisins.

T: The flavor chocolate is more pronounced than the nose with plenty of brown sugar for sweetness. There is a mild woody, tannic feel to the beer. The finish is mildly fruity with a bit of alcohol warmth.

M: The body is quite full and chewy with a moderate carbonation. The alcohol provides a bit of warmth and as with the flavor, there is a bit of a tannic feel.

D: Old Ales are quickly becoming a new favorite style of mine. I really enjoyed the complexity of this beer and I'm pleased to have ready access to this beer.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Hearty old world ale, batch 76. Not sure which year this is from, since the data on the web site only goes up to something like batch 60. I'll assume it's pretty recent.

Adam pours a deep purple-black, with only the faintest highlights of blood-orange, leaving a beastly amount of sediment left in the bottle and in the bottom of my glass -- gold flakes that a prospector would be psyched to find. A massive craggy head of light straw nearly billows over the sides of my glass. The sides burst before the foam in the center, leaving a mountainous nucleus and some crazy sheeted lacing.

Northwest hops lead the nose: piney, wooded and delicious. Sweet honey, dark chocolate, charcoal and mint all make appearances as well.

Rarely do I say "wow" aloud when tasting, but...wow. It begins with a straightforward smoked malt character with notes of bitter dark chocolate. Pilsner malt imparts a bit of graininess and a slight rye character. The sweetness of a very subtle figgy character is deftly balanced by the faintest hint of bitter piney hops. The equilibrium this beer achieves is incredible. The crazy part hits at the finish: leather, like a lick of an old baseball mitt. Every sip reminds me of days on the field, with pine tar bats and oiled gloves.

Medium mouthfeel. Smooth, velvety. Light carbonation. The alcohol hints at its presence, but displays nothing of the burn you'd expect from a 10% beast like this.

Bought this guy during a December trip to Oregon in 2009. Wanting to age it a bit, I waited as long as I could to drink it, so...about three months. I feel like this one hadn't reached its peak yet, but it's already incredible. I'll definitely seek Adam out again, and this time, I'll buy in bulk.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room