Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

Ok, this reviews gonna be a little different compared to my other reviews, so take a seat and relax. So, here's pwoods bringing his 6 year old PC over to fix it for him... We just re-installed a new hard drive and Windows XP - but that's not why you are reading this review.

The new BA trader named bifristguard was kind enough to send a total of 4 x Hair of the Dog beers to me as extras in a recent trade (Holy crap! Cameron - you are amazing!)...

Well, pwoods and I (being the beer geeks that we are) start with the lightest offerings from Hair of the Dog and then work our way up... The first three were very nice and solid, unique example for their stlye - fair enough - but in the end, I may forget about them in the years to come. Moving along, we tear through the first three HotD's with no problem. We write up our brief reviews and move on (unexpectedtly) to Adam - Batch # 55.

The pours goes nice, as a deep ruby/brown mix with an average tan head and lacing... Nice, but no show stopper in the looks department. I then move onto the nose. This is where things begin to change gears... I get a complex mix of alcohol, sweet malts, tobacco, roasted almonds and perhaps some light brandy. Wow! It's time for me to put pwoods PC down and focus on this beer!

Batch # 55 of Adam reminds me of a walk through a dark cave on the way to lost beer treasure. The taste is full and complex with a mix of smokiness, peat moss, earth, alcohol and tobacco. I am a smoker, so naturally tobacco appeals to me... This beer had just the right amount of carbonation, sweetness, big flavor and complexity to make it extremely unique and enjoyable.

My favorite Old Ale to date. Congrats HotD - This is a sublime example of an Old Ale.

I want more!!!

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this bottle.

12oz. brown bottle split between 2 glasses. Batch 55

A: Pours a deep tawny brown, murky. Large light tan head forms and holds very nicely. Lots of lacing.

S: Huge malts. Alcohol, peat, caramel, nuts, raisins, smoke. Lots going on. Nice alcohol depth.

T/M: Tons of smoke and peat. Rich malts, caramel, light molasses, pleasant but deep sweetness. Great alcohol depth. Maybe even a touch of smoky meats. Body is nearly full but very smooth and not syrupy or chewy at all.

D: Pretty damn drinkable for as huge as it is. Alcohol isn't too much and it's very smooth.

4.36/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter glass. Bottle lable indicates batch #72.

A: Pours a deep translucent mahogany. Two fingers of thick billowing collapse into a thin cap that left sticky lacing on my glass.

S: Aromas of dried plums and smoke.

The smokiness of this brew is what hit me first. Dried prunes and toasted peanuts followed.

M: Perfectly carbonated. The mouthfeel is creamy and viscous. With as much flavor as Adam has, it leaves the palate somewhat quickly, beckoning for another sip.

D: Alcohol bite is very subdues. At 10% ABV, it'd be easy to get carried away with this beer.

Poured dark brown color with medium light brown head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Medium aroma of malt, fruit and smoke tone. Medium to full body with long complex finish. Medium to full dark flavor with a medium bittersweet finish.

Good brew with complex flavors.

4.75/5  rDev +11.5%

Received in a package from Floydster, thanks Kyle for plucking this from my wants. Batch 72.

A: Dark brown almost black with a very nice two finger tan head from a vigorous pour into my Duvel tulip.

S: Figs,raisins and dates.

T: Taste is more of the same, dark fruit flavors and a dark,smoky woody flavor. Upon warming I taste hints of dark chocolate. This is sublime decadence at it it's finest!

M: Full and extremely hearty, practically a meal in itself. First sip is a little hot and extremely boozy.

D: One or two would be plenty but that would take me through the evening with no problem. This one begs to be sipped.

Overall, this is one of the finest beers I've had in some time. I must now seek more from HOTD. Thank you so much Kyle, for making this available to me!!

Highly Recommended!!

4.14/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to Olibeer22 for this as an extra in a recent trade.
Batch 72 poured into a Dogfish snifter. Black with ruby red highlights. Nice 1 finger head, which slowly dissapates, leaving a little, spotty lacing.
The nose is really smokey, with oak, some sweet malts, smoked meats. Just really complex smelling, and great aroma. This is the shining point of this beer, for sure
The taste is sweet malts, smokey, with some alcohol burn mixed in. there is also some bittering hops mixed in at the finish as well. I bet that this brew would age well. This beer's taste really underwhelms me, compared to the nose.
The feel of this beer is great. Coats the mouth wonderfully.
I could drink this all day, if it had a year on it.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured this into a snifter and it presented an extremely dark brown to black head with red hues. Offered a thick, pillowy head receeding rather slowly and leaving sticky lacing. Smells of smoke, with bourbon barrel-esque tones and a malty/toffee/alcohol finish. Taste is a conplex compilation of woody and dusty (in a good way)notes, malty, smokey, some sweetness and a blue cheese like finish. It hits the palate in the same away a great blue cheese wouuld. This is a great blue cheese brew. The body is thick and full with just enough carbonation. Awesome!

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

An extra in a recent trade with MASPuros. Thanks Mike.

Batch 72.

Pours a deep dark brown, nearly black, with a two finger head that sticks around for a good long time. The lacing is thick, leaving a nice coating behind in the glass.

Smell; chocolate, wood, smoke all hit me as soon as I start to pour. As it seetles down some nice dark fruits start to come out, with raisins and dates. Fantastic, one of the best aromas of any beer that I've had.

Taste; the woody/smokeiness comes through right away as it did with the aroma, followed by chocolate and molasses. Raisins and dates combine with some brown sugar in to give this a semi sweet finish that helps tame the 10% alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, with a very good drinkability despite the high alcohol content. Fantastic beer.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Shared this one with Nick (ThreeWiseMen). I had another one left over so I'm drinking that one as I type.

Poured into a snifter. Label says batch #72.

Appearance: Very dark brown w/ light tan head. Can only see through it when held directly to light. Kind of reminds me of a dark maple syrup.

Smell: This one smells awesome. Very complex; malts, raisins, molasses. I really like the smell.

Taste: Whoa there fruity. Again with the raisins, figs, chocolate. Nick seems to taste leather? I must not eat enough leather to notice. Alcohol is masked well but still is detectable.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium body. Nice finish; doesn't finish very dry at first but it sneaks in there. Perfecto carbonationo.

Drinkability: Not so good for a hot day. It's a very tasty brew but even after only drinking half a bottle I'm already a bit overwhelmed by the fruity notes. Would make a nice desert beer on a cold day. Now that I revisit this beer and I'm drinking it out of a pint glass rather than a snifter, I see a marked improvement in drinkability. Originally had this at a 3.5 but its cold out now and the pint glass doesn't amplify the fruitiness as much as the snifter.

3.78/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Trevor (lynx1245) picked up a couple of these in Santa Rosa and brought them back down to share. Poured into a couple of snifters.

Appearance: Pours thick and black with shades of brown that can only barely be seen when held to the light. Head is a thin tan halo. Spotty lace.

Smell: Extremely perfume-like and floral. Plums, raisins, run-like alcohol, and chocolate are the scents I'm picking up.

Taste: Loads of malt upfront, followed quickly by some tart, berry-like flavors, molasses, and alcohol. Finishes with a bit of a leathery taste and lots of alcoholic dryness.

Mouthfeel: Pretty creamy for an old ale. Carbonation is about what I'd expect for the style; maybe a smidge higher. Body is somewhat light as well. Not too slick, nor too hot. Finishes very dry.

Drinkability: Mouthfeel definitely helps out the drinkability for this one, but I personally like other old ales better. Alcohol is a bit too strong and astringent in this one. Still good, but I'd rather have an Old Stock.

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

Very dark brown, huge off-white head, fading slowly, big carbonation off my 12oz bottle from High Time.

Aroma is hops and ripe fruits. Taste is very sweet, roasted malts, raisins and dark fruits, hints of dark chocolate. Some well balanced hops, and a well hidden 10%. It's already halfway gone. Very drinkable, and an excellent desert beer, as the label suggests.

3.84/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 71

A - Very cloudy dark brown with no head of lacing

S - Raisins, caramel, alcohol, and leather. Slightly sweet

T - Raisins, leather, and a little bit of smoke

M - Medium body but no carbonation what so ever. Also coats the gums

D - Nice and complex but will have to re review a different batch that is actually carbonated.

4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a nice dark brown with a HUGE fluffy offwhite head, serious head@!

Aroma is dark and malty, not very large but enjoyable.

Flavor is dark malt and dark fruit, very tasty, quite a bit of alcohol warming with this, but not overpowering or unenjoyable. The flavor is unique and quite complex.

Highly reccomend checking this beer out if you see it.

4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Reviewed 1/11/09. Poured from bottle to goblet.

A: Mahogany brown, near black pour with a pillow-like head layer that sits atop my beer for days. Tiny bubbles show the immense carbonation this beer contains.
S: Chocolaty malt, subtle mushrooms, figs, brown sugar, caramel and rich molasses. Complicated aroma profile.
T: Continued old world tastes. Portobello, balsamic, figs, candied sugar and molasses all stand out.
M: Highly carbonated. Deliciously smooth and creamy. Rich, but light on the palate.
D: A great beer. Unlike others. I would love to pair this with a nice rustic dish or a mushroom risotto. Wonderful!

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

This was either a Vendome or Beverage Warehouse find. I can't remember. Batch 72 Poured into a tulip.

A: Pours out caramel but ends up being a pretty dark brown in the glass with really no light getting through. Typical HotD head starts about 3-4 fingers, big, fluffy and tan, but dissipates leaving maybe a finger. Lacing is fantastic.

S: Malt heavy. Most prominent is an earthy, bready base. Sweetness of figs and tropical fruits looms in the background. There's a bit of bourbon, vanilla and maybe even a hint of chocolate in there as well. Pretty complex stuff.

T: Lots and lots going on here. I taste smoke, tobacco, leather, earth, chocolate, bourbon, a hint of figs and tropical fruits as well. The finish is resiny hops and syrupy sweetness all rolled into one.

MF: The heat from this beer is pretty intense. The alcohol certainly makes its presence known...I think you would have to call it harsh at this point. Past that, medium-thick body with pretty heavy carbonation all things considered. Super dry finish as well. All the elements combine to make this an extremely biting beer. Not unpleasant, but makes it a sipper to be sure.

D: I'll say right off the bat that this would probably benefit by sitting a while. I've had this one for at least a couple months and it's still pretty raw. That being said, it's a got a solid flavor with a lot of interesting things going on. Big alcohol on this one means that 12 ounces is more than enough for one person. I don't have much to compare this too stylistically, but it's certainly an enjoyable drink. I will definitely have to buy some more and let it sit a while to really get a good idea of what this beer is all about, though.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I got this in a trade with ccrida a few months ago, the last beer I have left from that trade. Thanks Adam, looking forward to our next trade.

Batch 69, poured into a snifter.

A really dark brown, almost black body. Opaque except for ruby tinges on the edges where the slightest amount of light manages to come through. Fairly active carbonation is noticeable just under the head of the beer. A finger or so of light brown head with ok retention, not too much lacing. However, I suspect in a pint glass this would produce some lacing.

Smells a lot like a port, which I think is good. Raisins and figs come through strongly, coupled with a general sweetness.

Up front is a good blast of sweetness that mellows to reveal a lot of the dark fruits from the nose, including raisins for sure. Also has a chocolately taste with some roasted notes in there as well. Next comes a noticeable but mild hop flavor with just a little bit of grapefruity bitterness. Finish with some noticeable alcohol heat. This is a big, complex brew that maintains a nicee balance amongst many different flavors, and is very well done and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but rather highly carbonated. A lot of the beer seems to vanish in the mouth. A fairly good feel overall.

For 10%ABV this is ridiculously drinkable. Balanced, tasty and complex. This is something I would pair with a dessert for sure. Overall a great beer that I will seek out again, I'm very curious to try aging this. I could see it going multiple years and still improving.

4.9/5  rDev +15%

Batch 55 labeled on the bottle, which from their website means it was bottled in 2002. I am sitting here drinking it in 2009 wishing I had a younger and maybe an older bottle to compare. I have only had this once before, and I am very fond of it. It is deliciously rich, smooth, and enjoyable.

The beer pours dark brown, almost black with an amazing thick frothy tan head that seemed to grade from small bubbles at the bottom to larger ones on top before you start drinking it. It leaves a very nice lace, and the head is very long lived. I haven't seen many nicer looking beers. It has a rich malty aroma that is smokey, a little fruity, musty and robust. Big, delicious malt flavor transitions to an almosty perfumey bitter aftertaste that has a good heat but is not distracting. Warm, thick mouthfeel that is full bodied, very smooth, and has an alcoholic finish. This is a rare beer that I think is worth what they are charging for 12 oz. bottles. I have had mixed luck with their Fred, but I am very excited about Adam.

4.29/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Midaszero for this past trade.
Batch 70

A - Pours a dark brown almost black. I could not force a head on this, just a few tan bubbles. Slightly disappointing.

S - Dark fruits (plums, dates, raisins), molasses, and malts. The best smelling old ale that I've come accorss so far.

T - Caramel, malts, booze, some tobacco, and not much hops at all. Pretty balanced for the style.

M - Full with not much carbonation.

D - The higher abv is felt, but doesn't detract too much.

3.34/5  rDev -21.6%

Batch 71:

Very dark brown with a beige head that had very good retention and lacing. Smell of caramel, dark fruit, earthy hops, smoke, and also some medicinal notes. Taste is smokey, caramel, and very medicinal. There also seems to be some sweet cherries in the taste, but most of it is medicinal. Medium carbonation and light to medium body. I'd like to try this again from a different batch to get a better idea of the beer.

3.93/5  rDev -7.7%

Do to lack of availablity I was forced / honored to share this bottle with my partner in beer. When we poured the bottle we had no idea what we were getting into.
A great dark pour with a thin but complex and full head.

The nose is deceptive and leaves a little to be desired...I thought others were joking about the horse blanket and stall but no doubt, Hi Ho Silver.

First taste opens a mass of doors, from molases and dark fruits to a little dirt and oak. Hard to tell what they were hoping for but it is anything but simple. Hair of the Dog fits quite well. Definately a sipper, even when splitting a bottle.

GLASS: Oversized Wine Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BATCH NUMBER 71
Thanks to msubulldog25 for sharing this one.

Very dark brown with golden amber highlights. Nice creamy head of tan foam. Quite good retention and very good lacing.

Man, that is some dark fruit overload in that glass. Huge notes of black cherries, figs, raisins, and black currants. Slight touch of raspberries and bananas. Huge sweet malty profile. Big sweet caramel presence. Good balanced level of sweetbreads. Very slight booziness, also.

Big sweet caramel presence. Slight boozy warmth. Notes of mellow spices mixed with molasses and drizzled on top of big dark fruit. Slight hint of dark chocolate covered coffee beans and tobacco, in the finish.

Nice full bodied brew. Very creamy and smooth.

Aside from the warming factor, the alcohol is fairly well-hidden in this one. As far as the flavor goes, anyway.
This is quite drinkable and I wish I had access to many more.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Drinking a 12oz of batch 55.

Dark, stout black with light tan head. I may have done a bad pour, but there's a good amount of foam, oh well. Sweet/alcohol aromas. I can smell a bit of hops and even a slight tobacco sent in there (a first). Most of this is mixed together and takes a few goes before identifying the smells, there may even be more! I think I read that someone smelled tiramisu. I'd have to agree upon my umpteenth whiff.

The taste is almost like the smell. Very good. I tend to get a black liquorish taste with a similar feel on the tounge. Lost of sweet flavors going on. The flavors aren't as strong as I'd thought, especially for a 10% brew, but I'm not complaining. The tobacco smell becomes a flavor in the leftover from each sip leaving my mouth with a subtle menthol feel, another first. (maybe the whole tobacco thing is to try and say that this brew is so good that you'll get hooked) I'm trying to find the hops, which are there, but blended in with some other strong happenings.

My one complaint is the yeast at the bottom. I love the yeast bits that pour into the drink, but it won't come out! It's okay tho.

I haven't had many brews from Hair of the Dog, mostly bigger beers. I'm always pleased and will get them again and again. Adam further proves my point.

Maybee....

Batch 77 (11/4/2010)

Pours a thick black hue, no head. Subtle tabbaco and chocolate aromas, very subtle burst of liquor aromas as well. The combined aromas almost reminds me of a strong mousse cake. Thick n syrupy mouthfeel. Notes of English Barley Wine flavors cut through the thick elixir. This drink is very malty, but in a great way. Cloves, some hops, something herbal... DELICIOUS! I wish I had a case of this beer in my cellar, make that several cases.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

This old ale pours like a dark molasses into the glass. It is such a dark brown, it is nearly an opaque black. The head was about a quarter inch, and it lasted the whole time leaving lacing all the way down the glass.

The nose is filled with hints of the flavors this contains.

As you drink it, you experience some raisiny, possibly plum flavors. Molasses flavors are present as well. There is not an intense hop flavor, but neither is there an overly sweet maltiness either. The balance of this beer is spot on.

It is a beer to enjoy while sipping, and doing so will let more flavors emerge.

I had a bottle from batch 72.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Batch 69 and shared with pghlee. Poured dark brown with a creamy finger of nougat snickers head. Molasses, licorice with a touch of smoke on the aroma. Nip of carbonation sting on the tongue @ first, which gradually vanished. Very bright middle flavors of sweet molasses with a hint of chocolate. 10% alcohol felt in back of throat, but very balanced for such a complex, unique brew.

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz. brown longnecks Batch 66 and 72, courtesy of travisd13, a very generous trader...thanks man! Reviewing Batch 66. Poured into a Duvel tulip, a dark ass walnut brown with a huge two-finger khaki head that turns rocky and lasts. It leaves eventually with some lace clinging, but is brought back to life with a few swirls of the class, nice.

Sweet malty nose with some hops holding back. Some really sweet floral notes peek in, kind of a honeysuckle/jasmine combo. As it warms, the alcohol jumps out and takes control. Strong and sweet, dark fruits and alcohol, this is a seriously strong ale and it gives you warning. Ahh, the potent smell!

The taste is like, but better than the smell. Full and rich of malt and fruits, tobacco and molasses, this stuff tastes great. The alcohol pushes the malt through to a hop neutral finish. Long and warming flavor. Sweet, but never too sweet.

Big body with good complimentary carbonation and a boat load of alcohol...very drinkable if you love this style and can handle the punch. This is a great brew.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room