Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Frankieteardrop

1.5/5  rDev -64.9%

12-31-2011 22:47:06 | More by spamages
bwyker

1.68/5  rDev -60.7%

I must admit, I’ve had some bad HOTD experiences as of late. I don’t know if I got a few bottles from some systematic problem they’ve had at the brewery or what, but all seem to have signs of infection or too much oxygen in the brewing. The only exception to this was Fred and the outstanding Fred from the Wood (ratebeer release). Both were very good.

This one is a 12 oz bottle from batch 60. Pours a mud brown with hues of mahogany and dirty white foam that forms about a half-inch head on the first pour and lasts for quite a while. The smell is a powerful earthy dirt-like smell, with hints of cardboard. Unpleasant smell matched in the unpleasant taste. Mouthfeel is chalky. Completely undrinkable – dumped it.

Again, another bad experience. I, however, want to point out that I don’t know for sure if it’s a bad batch or just extremely overrated and overpriced crap in a bottle.

10-11-2006 22:33:49 | More by bwyker
rousee

1.9/5  rDev -55.5%

Batch 59

Hate to slam a beer but here it is. The pour is actually an encouraging murky brown-chocolate color with plenty of carbonation. It goes downhill from there though. The smell is a vinous, boozy mess of dark chocolate and cherries with just way too much vinous character.

Taste is dark malts and extremely vinous --some depth as it warms. Metallic aftertaste which is especially undesireable for an old ale. Very disapointing-especially since this brewery was in American Beer--the movie--I'm dumpin it.

03-04-2006 23:12:04 | More by rousee

Chopman50

12-17-2011 03:09:27 | More by Chopman50
mattcrill

2.03/5  rDev -52.5%

I'm assuming that I just don't get this beer. I'm not going to slam it but this isn't my style. I've only had a few barleywines and this is my first old ale to date. This will probably be my only old ale forever unless someone can convince me otherwise. Thanks to beerski for the chance to increase my BA-dom while sampling this. Part of my quest is figuring out what I DON'T like. This definitely fits in to that category.

Appearance: Brown with ruby edges. A tan chunky head. Looks like a porter in the glass. Again, I have no baseline for comparison.

Smell: Smoky, malty with alcohol being the prominent smell. A hint of licorice but alcohol dominates.

Taste: Plums, smoke, with a woody and earthy finish. Alcohol is present throughtout and dominating the other tastes that are trying to fit in.

Mouthfeel: Thick and heavy like a cough syrup.

Drinkability and overall: Definitely suffers due to the alcohol taste. I have to admit, this is the first beer that ended up down the drain. It got worse with each subsequent sip. Totally ruined my taste for any beer the rest of the day. I would avoid it. Not a good beer.

09-08-2004 01:16:02 | More by mattcrill
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.13/5  rDev -50.1%

Batch 61

Poured into the glass(after I lost some on initial opening) with a huge off-white head, this is some very dark stuff, bordering on black.

The smell has some fruit notes to it but the dominating aroma I get reminds me of antiseptic.

The taste is a real hodgepodge of not so good flavours that is dominated by the antiseptic that I mentioned in the smell followed closely by a bitter-sour attack that leaves my taste buds in total disarray.

This one is not for me.

11-05-2005 19:21:06 | More by Bitterbill
DrMindbender

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -47.3%

07-17-2014 19:25:20 | More by DrMindbender
charlesw

2.28/5  rDev -46.6%

Huh. The site calls it (right now. Ha!) an old ale. I guess... That fits as well as any other style. Funny thing is... We're to review by style but the style can change at any minute! Anyway, reviewing as an old ale, I guess...

It's a beautiful beer. I hold it up to the light (and my kids hold up their milk) and no light shines through. Nice thick and creamy dark head with good lasting power. Smells malty and creamy and caramel and bandaids. Tastes malty and thick and creamy and sweet and fruit and caramel and (faintly) bandaids. Big in the mouth and I couldn't drink another of these if you paid me to.

01-24-2008 01:32:58 | More by charlesw
SolomonGrundy

2.4/5  rDev -43.8%

OK, this is painfully bizarre. Pours with absolutely no head, a dark, almost opaque mahogany. Obviously no lacing. Aromas of dark chocolate with bacon - maybe honey roast pork. Figs, medjool dates. Weirdness....Flavor is crazy bitter, and bourbon-y. Lots of alcohol (10% ABV)...Is this supposed to be this strange? It's like a train wreck in a bottle. Hard to say if I like it, and I probably shouldn't, but I keep sippin'. Not cheap, either. Not worth it folks. Look elsewhere unless you are into very strange things.

09-08-2010 04:08:51 | More by SolomonGrundy
jrallen34

2.45/5  rDev -42.6%

Tasting with AgentZero.

12oz bottle into my Rochefort glass.

Pours dark brown with almost no carbonation on the pour or when swirling...The aroma is very strong dark fruits, grain alcohol, wood. A little to strong of alcohol, not super, doesn't make you want to taste it...The taste is not good, super strong of wood, bitter alcohol, maybe licorice. The feel is super light, not very drinkable at all.

Overall, this is not a good beer, not one to search out.

06-26-2010 20:31:25 | More by jrallen34
DustinSWB

10-04-2013 01:12:17 | More by DustinSWB
fsck

Washington

06-21-2013 03:52:24 | More by fsck
Derranged

2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

Batch # 80, 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Dark brownish black with a HUGE light brown head. This was a very live beer, the head stuck around for a while.

S- A bit harsh at first but then weakens. Very complex aroma of heavy booze, raisins, leather, and chocolate.

T- Harsh. Very boozy with a leather-like smoky chemical-solvent kerosene flavor, backed up by faint chocolaty raisins. Strange bitter after taste. Its 10% abv but this thing drank more like a 20. I was literally sweating after a few sips.

M- Very thick and syrupy with low carbonation. Lips numb.

O- Couldn't finish. This beer just didn't work for me at all. The tasted faded a bit as I drank more but still, not good. Every sip was a chore. I had to pour it out which I really do not like doing. Undrinkable.

08-16-2011 03:00:06 | More by Derranged
ADTaber

South Carolina

09-13-2013 18:30:43 | More by ADTaber
GolgiIPAratus

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled: 2.3.07

First off, this thing overflowed molten-like foam for what really should’ve been no outside reason. It had been sitting upright in my DBF for over a week, simply transported to the living room and placed on a side table, and then actually left alone there for about 5 or 6 minutes. But when I cracked it, it spewed forth in abundance. Of course, I hadn’t expected this, so I was returning the bottle opener to the kitchen when my wife alerted me to the impending mess on the floor. I was half way between spill site and paper towel rack, and I made my decision. And by the time I got back with the paper towels, it was too late. Too much sugar and/or yeast added for the bottle conditioning perhaps? Anyway, after that set up, you’d think this thing had a monster head when I finally poured it, right? Wrong. Practically nil. A mere ring around the edge and no lacing to speak of. The beer itself was a dark chocolate brown with reddish hues. The color alone is what saved it from flatline mediocrity.

Ok, the aroma. Quite interesting. It’s earthy right off the bat. Heavy, heavy raw tobacco up front. Leathery and roasted malts perk up a bit, and after some warming prunes make an appearance. Not too enticing, for my tastes. Interesting nonetheless.

Tastes is really leathery , and more tobacco, though this time, more of the smokey variety punch you in the mouth. Dark malts mingle in an alt-like atmosphere, all within a fairly hoppy profile that hangs through out and offers a light bitterness upon swallow. These complex flavors hide any alcohol content that quite honestly surprised me when I found out what it was. I didn’t feel it at all. The beer is highly carbonated, but still no head, and it leaves oily traces along the tongue.

The drinkability is low for me, as the flavor was just too rich with the tobacco & leather. Maybe this would be a good beer to sip with a cigar, but it isn’t for me. It’s tough to rate this too low, as there is certainly a complexity about it. Personal tastes, obviously, heavily influence my lower scores, but ultimately, this is a unique brew that smokey beer lovers should try.

02-05-2007 18:04:10 | More by GolgiIPAratus
tewaris

2.88/5  rDev -32.6%

This is my first review of any HotD beer and 100th unique brewer. 12 oz. (Batch 80) sent by cb462 as an extra. Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

Deep, dark mahogany with a good and creamy textured khaki-brown head. Medium head retention and ok lacing. Good for its kind. Aroma is sweet malts, hint of smoke, some dried fruit. Certainly leather. No booze. Very generic, however, especially because it's so mute.

Tastes disappointing :/ I had high hopes and I am feeling let down. I can see the potential but it seems too rough. Some sweetness with a biting earthy bitterness, roast, and over the top astringent character. Medium finish with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is above average with understated carbonation and a medium body. Overall though, it drinks more like a blend of a barleywine and Old Rasputin, than a barleywine on its own. I don't like it.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 3/5; Taste 2.5/5; Mouthfeel 3.5/5; Overall 3/5

08-24-2011 08:08:11 | More by tewaris
MisterClean

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bought somewhere in Oregon for me. Batch 71.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost black. Beautiful mocha or capuccino color head. Head has lots of protein chunks, dissipates very slow, and leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Malts, ginger, spice, flowers, bittersweet chocolate, a leathery pungency, and light alcohol.

T - Chocolate, lots of licorice, almost leathery. Moderate alcohol.

M - Very intense and sharp tasting. When I drink a home brew like this, I know it needs to age longer.

D - The flavors need to settle. Slightly acute in taste, the alcohol has almost a dominating flavor. The bottles really need to age at least a year or more before it becomes a good beer.

I will probably re-review this in a year or so. BATCH 71 NEEDS TO AGE ANOTHER YEAR!!!

10-13-2008 15:58:51 | More by MisterClean