Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,287 | Reviews: 1,000
3.44/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown colour with no head. Disappointing.

Slightly vegemitey, alcohol, chocolate, slightly nutty and a touch fruity.

Intense alcohol, very sweet, moderate bitterness, a touch roasty with some chocolate.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A touch hot.

Interesting beer. I'm not sure it hits all the right notes for me as the alcohol, sweetness and vegemite are all just a touch rough.

3.45/5  rDev -19%

Sample at David Copperfields in Manhattan NY from owner, fellow Bronxite.

A: Red & black, not sure about head and lacing as small sample.

S-Sweet candies, unable to discern which however.

T- Malt first followed by hops. High ABV noticable very quickly but too strong, it is 10% after all. Not sure of the brew date but nothing like a Old Ale i've tasted prior.

M- Medium with heavy carbonation.

D-A good desset wine but not my style.

3.46/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I live in Portland and am only now getting around to trying this!

This is batch 92, which is maybe a little new. I gave it a good, not particularly gentle pour from the bottle into a traditional pint glass, and it has absolutely no head. The color is very dark brown, almost black. It's essentially opaque even when held to the light. The lack of head is odd.

I'll continue for those of you who haven't already moved on after reading that I poured it into a pint glass.

The smell is full, dark, 'round' - which matches the color well. I get the heavy malty qualities. Leather, soil, and chocolate seem reasonable. I also taste some raisin or prune and maybe root beer.

The flavor is similar. It really hits the back of the mouth with the malt and bitterness. There's a bit of ash in the flavor that I don't notice in the smell. Alcohol is forward and it is a bit… astringent, or pungent, maybe. There's a lot of sweet malt.

The carbonation is present but subtile. I think there's something not quite right about this batch considering that and the other reviews I've read for Adam. It's not bad at all but it's not as outstanding as I'd hoped. It feels flat and thin for a beer with this much flavor.

I might need to go down to the brewery and try this one on tap. It's worth another chance. It's solidly good but not my favorite. I've had other HOTD beers that I've liked better than this one. It would be improved with a little less forward alcohol, astringency, and a little more character in the body.

3.49/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Huge rocky head with lots of tan foam and lace. Much more carbonation than I would expect from a high-alcohol/gravity brew.
Extreme dark brown almost opaque color. Closer to a stout than an old ale, INMHO.

Nice aroma filled with spice, alcohol, malt and yeast.

Taste is more spicy-hoppy than malty. Definitely less malt than I would have expected. Aftertaste of hop bitterness and some burnt raisins.

Nice mouthfeel and a decent sipping beer. Overall, this beer was way short of my expectations.

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

A yeasty hoppy aroma with all kinds of hints of other things, a nice sweet malty blend of raisin banana lemon, almost like a weiss, thickish mouthfeel little bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, a complex sweetness lingered till the end.I seem to feel this is a great brew, but the blend just isn't something I'm into right now.

3.51/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a HiF stem.

Pour: Deep brown with three fingers of fluffy, khaki head. Leaves thick lacing and the head hangs around for most of the glass.

Smell: Big boozy dark fruits up front. Figs and raisins. Heavy molasses, and lots of roasted malts. Some light coffee and a light pine on the finish.

Taste: Follows the nose with huge boozy figs, raisins, and dates up front. Follows with thick molasses sweetness, and some more booze. Finishes with touches of roastiness and a light coffee.

Mouthfeel: Boozy. A sipper for sure. Syrupy body.

Overall: Nice flavors, but this is just too boozy for me.

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

Batch 52

Appearance: garnet brown, slight haze; thin film of head develops on pour but disappears immediately, forming a crown on the glass

Aroma: deep dark bready malt notes, a slight lactic twang, chocolate, prunes, raisins

Flavor: the up front lactic sourness dominates; underneath it are notes of dark chocolate, coffee, rich malt sweetness, hop bitterness, sherry, prunes, raisins and yeast; the finish is sweet and sour with the sourness staying around in the roasty aftertaste; also lingering are apples and rye-bread

Mouthfeel: full body, slightly astringent, big alcohol warmth, smooth

Overall Impression: This beer is a conundrum. I don't know if it's supposed to be sour or if it's a bad batch. I tried one over a year ago and was really put off by it. Then I tasted one about six months later and I didn't really detect any overt sourness (I'm not sure what the batch numbers were on those). This sample, though, is pretty lactic. It's growing on me as I drink it and as it warms up, but it's not something I would drink often. This one has been in my "cellar" for about a year.

Notes on Batch 59: Tasted a bottle of this batch the other night. Not sour at all. The lactic aroma/flavor was nowhere to be found. This leads me to believe that Batch 52 was definitely contaminated. 59 was all about the chocolatey sweetness with big notes of burnt caramel and peppery alcohol. Also mocha and a fait amount of smoke. Finish is sweet with a lot of residual roast and smoke. Because of this difference, I have increased the score from the previous score of 3.2.

3.52/5  rDev -17.4%

Well, after all the people complaining about Lost Abbey and reviewing their flat bottles, I feel that I can fairly review this one. Batch 78, big thanks to Johngalt1 for this as an extra. High hopes for this beer.

Pours deep brown with no head, bubbling, nor lacing.

Smell like molasses, plums, raisons, leather, tobacco, and a hint of citrus. Light smell, probably due to the lack of carbonation.

Taste follows smell; opens with a huge molasses and dark fruit smack in the face. Moves into a caramel and tobacco flavor finishing with everything poking its head out and citrus makes a gentle appearance that attempts to clear the palate.

Mouthfeel is flat, but not too bad. Seeing as this is my second old ale, I can tell its not a highly carbonated beer as it is, but it could use something.

Overall, its good. A prickle of carbonation could probably kick this one up to great.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle purchased somewhere in VA, one of many things gathered at either Vienna Whole Foods, Norm's, or Westpark Wine & Beer. Batch 54.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a HUGE 3" light brown head over the murky, opaque, dark brown brew. Will take some time to get this poured out, like Rose and Fred before him in the past. Fifteen minutes later, all in. Head starts dense, eventually gets very airy, and leaves hunks of laces everywhere. Hard to knock the appearance, once you can get it out of the bottle...

Aroma is sweetly malty, with spicy and yesty things happening as well. Alcohol presence is obvious. Taste is of spicy dark malts, dark fruits, and warming alcohol works its magic in the mouth and throat. Mouthfeel okay, just a bit overboard on the everything, and drinkability isn't the best due to big-time foaming issues (I hate to wait), and just plain hard to get down overall.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Pours a dark mahogany with a huge and foamy light brown head. Fades very slowly, leaving a perfect patchwork of lacing behind. Nice island of foam sticks around for a long time too.

S: Brown sugar, caramel and molasses. Some cocoa and leather.

T: Starts off with some caramel, brown sugar and a little...butterscotch? Lots of leather in the middle with some cocoa and smoke. Almost get some tobacco in the finish with some earthiness. A little more smoke in the aftertaste too. Spicy alcohol lingers.

M: Fairly heavy but not overly so. Nice and thick - appropriate for the style.

O: Not a bad old ale. Most are very fruity and this one is not. Quite smokey with lots of tobacco too. Great if you like that in a beer but I'm not a huge fan. I still enjoyed it and can appreciate the complexity and balance, but the choice of flavors didn't agree with me that much.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in Portland, OR on 2010-01-31

A - Pours a dark brown with a short tan head

S - Plums and figs

T - Dark chocolate and figgy pudding with some sourness, leather and smoke.

M - Light body and carbonation

D - Obviously a well-made brew but the unique flavors were fine for a treat but not a session.

3.53/5  rDev -17.1%

Batch #47: According to their website, this was bottled on 9-22 of 2000. After being poured into a tulip, there is a two inch head crowning the dark, dark brown body. The nose is quite smoky, with dark fruits lurking in the shadows.

My first taste was somewhat chocolatey. As it warms to cellar temperature, the smokiness becomes quite apparent. Dark fruits hit first, and only for a millisecond. A wave of smoke rips through my mouth. As the beer warms even more, the smoke is receding, and the vinous qualities are coming out. The mouthfeel is still thick after all these years, and the carbonation is also high. The drinkability is low for me.

This is similar to Batch 5000, but not in the same league. Drink this close to room temperature. My ratings would be much lower at colder temperatures.

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Paid $3.99 for a 12oz bottle from Monument in Concord, CA. Poured into my Lost Abbey Tulip to review.

Surprisingly large tan head for this old ale. Head is rather frothy and consistent of relatively large carbonation bubbles. Very dark brown in color with a noticeable layer of retention.

The descriptors on the label are pretty spot on for me in terms of aroma; roasted malts, smoke, figs, chocolate, leather and well balanced with dank hops. I also detect molasses, oak and a hint of booze. All in all quite complex and attractive.

Taste is really smoky. Just a bit overboard in this department for my liking. There is that leather and roasted malts I detected in the nose coming through even more now, especially as it warms. Not as balanced as the nose suggested for me. Hints of coffee and chocolate in the long finish.

Full in body and the carbonation is noticeable, but I was expecting more from looking at the pour.

The strong taste of smoke, coupled with the price will probably prevent me from purchasing more of this beer.

2007 bottle

Dark brown, almost black, with ruby edges

smells of alcohol, dark fruit, malty sweetness

taste is fig, roasty (not burnt), sugary sweet, very complex and each flavor stands out separately, not very well combined flavors.

Creamy and smooth, and fairly heavy mouthfeel

The 10% is very warm in this beer. I couldnt drink more than 1 of these as it is very complex, over the top. I think 2-4 years in the cellar will make this a top 5 barleywine, i need to find some to cellar now!

3.55/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch #74. Thanks to my partner in beer crime BeerFMAndy for sharing this with me.

The beer pours a cola brown with little to no head. Some soapy lace is clinging for it's life around the glass.

The aroma is heavy on the leather and smoke. Dark fruits with a hint of spice.

The flavor is malty with plenty of smoke and leather like the nose. Dark fruit with light spice. Very dry.

Medium to full body with light carbonation.

Overall not a real winner in my book. A nice beer but I probably would pass on if given another chance.

3.56/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured a golden amber color with a large head, that left light lacing on the glass. Has a malty alcohol aroma. Taste was mild malt with a big kick of alcohol. I was expecting less of an alcohol taste. I was hoping i'd like this more, but I just wasn't a huge fan.

3.57/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a 12oz into a anifter. slight tan head that fades fast. Smells very floral and chocolatey. Tastes like pork, one of my least favorite flavors. Also a lot of chocolate. Drinks real well and moderately drinkable but that pork flavor stays. Unique but not amazing. Fred is exponentially better.

3.57/5  rDev -16.2%

Batch #41. Pours a deep, deep auburn color with no head , hence no lace. Extremely sweet and fruity aromas; figs, raisins, caramel and alcohol. Brandy like on the nose. Slightly bitter taste, coffee, deep roasted malts, alcohol. Suprisingly dry with a thick mouthfeel, almost no carbonation. Hop presence comes through mid glass, but takes a back seat to the alcohol. Finishes flat. I didn't see any other reviews for this batch so I don't know how it fared compared to their other batches.

3.58/5  rDev -16%

Batch #67.

Pours very dark with a beautiful thick dark brown head.

Aroma of molasses, malts, some smokey earthiness.

Taste has dark chocolate, bitterness throughout but strongest at the end, alcohol, smoke. Very rich.

Mouthfeel was quite heavy, thick, dry.

Overall, an interesting sipping beer. Can't drink many. Lots of flavor and very rich. Certainly worth a try since it is unusual, but not something I would get too excited about. Perhaps some aging will help.

3.59/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2002 batch 55. 1st time with adam...kinda wierd I know but that's the way the cookie crumbled. To me this dude is all about smokey leather, sandlewood with hints of other spices. I do get some raisin flavors but all and all its a pretty clean beer for being a teenager....

3.59/5  rDev -15.7%

Batch #68. Pours a 5 finger swelling dark brown head that spills onto the counter. Head is clingy and slowly cavitates inward. Liquid is pitch, to light it is very dark ruby brown. Smells roast ashy dark grains and grassy hops. Sweet molasses, dark caramel, and teasing esters. Touch of pine.

Tastes wet sweet with sharp tang, not quite a soured caramel. Wickedly caramelized sugar serves as a strong base flavor on which smke, chocolate, molasses, and roast play. The beer is actually dry in the mouth, but the intense caramel counterpoints. Cherry flavor with minimal cherry sour rides on the noticable, but balanced, clean alcohol sting. Dry finish is quite grassy hoppy bitter. Thick body and dextrinous thick mouthfeel with strong and carbonation sting that I would prefer to be less (uhm...so swirl the glass to release the excess). Intense and certainly interesting, but the smoke begins to wear on my smoke-sensitive palette by the end of the glass. If you enjoy a little smoked malt in your beer, then the smoke in this beer will not be a problem for you at all.

IMO, a bit jumbled right now. Would likely benefit from at least a year, likely five, of age in a good cellar. Rich umami flavor characterstics.

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Pour was a deep chestnut. Big malt body with a syrupy aspect. Quite sweet, with brown sugar and dark dried fruit - raisin and prune, that dominates throughout to the dense, bittersweet finish. Perhaps this simpy isn't a style to my preference, but overall this interpretation strikes me as blunt and monotone.

3.6/5  rDev -15.5%

Reviewed from notes 1/17/2011

A: very dark brown, almost black, with an off white 1 finger head

S: very smokey, hints of molasses

T: VERY smokey, leaves a burnt taste on the tongue, brown sugar, molasses, a long lingering taste

M: mild carbonation, thick, creamy

D: hard to swallow, not exaclty well balanced in my book

Cheers!
The CPJ

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%

Had to pick up a couple different brews from HOTD since they are available here in So Cal. Pours a dark brown with a huge off white head. I would have given it a 5 on appearance but the head was too big. Nice lacing down the glass.

Smells of figs, raisins and tobacco. Little bit of caramel malt in the background.

Taste is not what I was expecting from the smell. Other brews I have had that smelled of figs and raisins were pretty sweet and viscous but this was rather not hugely flavorful. There is tobacco and some smokiness that is most apparent. A little sweetness. The figs and the raisins are buried in the taste of the tobacco ans smoke but their there. A little sweetness in the initial taste.

Mouthfeel is not viscous enough. Carbonation is good but the beer is a little thin.

Overall a good brew but it wasn't that special to me. I would have it on tap if I saw it but I don't think I will buy it again unless I get one of the beers mixed up since they are all named with a first name and thats a little hard to keep track of and not mix up.

3.61/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a chocolate dark brown concotion with two fingers of tans suds and some lacing.
Smell is chocolate and malt. Sugar and a little alcohol are present in the nose.
Taste is chocolate and malt with a hop finish. The flavor doesn't match the aroma or appearance.
Mouthfeel is a bit oily but drys out with the phenol cleansing.
This is not the best offering from HotD.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room