Adam - Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room visit their website
Oregon, United States

Old Ale |  10.00% ABV

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Adam Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from a 12oz into a anifter. slight tan head that fades fast. Smells very floral and chocolatey. Tastes like pork, one of my least favorite flavors. Also a lot of chocolate. Drinks real well and moderately drinkable but that pork flavor stays. Unique but not amazing. Fred is exponentially better.

beerhan, Nov 30, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very dark brown colour with no head. Disappointing.

Slightly vegemitey, alcohol, chocolate, slightly nutty and a touch fruity.

Intense alcohol, very sweet, moderate bitterness, a touch roasty with some chocolate.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. A touch hot.

Interesting beer. I'm not sure it hits all the right notes for me as the alcohol, sweetness and vegemite are all just a touch rough.

dgilks, Sep 10, 2010
3.46/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I live in Portland and am only now getting around to trying this!

This is batch 92, which is maybe a little new. I gave it a good, not particularly gentle pour from the bottle into a traditional pint glass, and it has absolutely no head. The color is very dark brown, almost black. It's essentially opaque even when held to the light. The lack of head is odd.

I'll continue for those of you who haven't already moved on after reading that I poured it into a pint glass.

The smell is full, dark, 'round' - which matches the color well. I get the heavy malty qualities. Leather, soil, and chocolate seem reasonable. I also taste some raisin or prune and maybe root beer.

The flavor is similar. It really hits the back of the mouth with the malt and bitterness. There's a bit of ash in the flavor that I don't notice in the smell. Alcohol is forward and it is a bit… astringent, or pungent, maybe. There's a lot of sweet malt.

The carbonation is present but subtile. I think there's something not quite right about this batch considering that and the other reviews I've read for Adam. It's not bad at all but it's not as outstanding as I'd hoped. It feels flat and thin for a beer with this much flavor.

I might need to go down to the brewery and try this one on tap. It's worth another chance. It's solidly good but not my favorite. I've had other HOTD beers that I've liked better than this one. It would be improved with a little less forward alcohol, astringency, and a little more character in the body.

highTempo, Apr 19, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

Paid $3.99 for a 12oz bottle from Monument in Concord, CA. Poured into my Lost Abbey Tulip to review.

Surprisingly large tan head for this old ale. Head is rather frothy and consistent of relatively large carbonation bubbles. Very dark brown in color with a noticeable layer of retention.

The descriptors on the label are pretty spot on for me in terms of aroma; roasted malts, smoke, figs, chocolate, leather and well balanced with dank hops. I also detect molasses, oak and a hint of booze. All in all quite complex and attractive.

Taste is really smoky. Just a bit overboard in this department for my liking. There is that leather and roasted malts I detected in the nose coming through even more now, especially as it warms. Not as balanced as the nose suggested for me. Hints of coffee and chocolate in the long finish.

Full in body and the carbonation is noticeable, but I was expecting more from looking at the pour.

The strong taste of smoke, coupled with the price will probably prevent me from purchasing more of this beer.

ibbjamin, Aug 18, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -18.5%

A: Pours a dark mahogany with a huge and foamy light brown head. Fades very slowly, leaving a perfect patchwork of lacing behind. Nice island of foam sticks around for a long time too.

S: Brown sugar, caramel and molasses. Some cocoa and leather.

T: Starts off with some caramel, brown sugar and a little...butterscotch? Lots of leather in the middle with some cocoa and smoke. Almost get some tobacco in the finish with some earthiness. A little more smoke in the aftertaste too. Spicy alcohol lingers.

M: Fairly heavy but not overly so. Nice and thick - appropriate for the style.

O: Not a bad old ale. Most are very fruity and this one is not. Quite smokey with lots of tobacco too. Great if you like that in a beer but I'm not a huge fan. I still enjoyed it and can appreciate the complexity and balance, but the choice of flavors didn't agree with me that much.

Dope, Sep 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18%

A yeasty hoppy aroma with all kinds of hints of other things, a nice sweet malty blend of raisin banana lemon, almost like a weiss, thickish mouthfeel little bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, a complex sweetness lingered till the end.I seem to feel this is a great brew, but the blend just isn't something I'm into right now.

grynder33, Apr 04, 2004

santa216, Nov 15, 2013

st9647v3, Mar 30, 2013

rowyn, Dec 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -18%

12oz bottle purchased somewhere in VA, one of many things gathered at either Vienna Whole Foods, Norm's, or Westpark Wine & Beer. Batch 54.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a HUGE 3" light brown head over the murky, opaque, dark brown brew. Will take some time to get this poured out, like Rose and Fred before him in the past. Fifteen minutes later, all in. Head starts dense, eventually gets very airy, and leaves hunks of laces everywhere. Hard to knock the appearance, once you can get it out of the bottle...

Aroma is sweetly malty, with spicy and yesty things happening as well. Alcohol presence is obvious. Taste is of spicy dark malts, dark fruits, and warming alcohol works its magic in the mouth and throat. Mouthfeel okay, just a bit overboard on the everything, and drinkability isn't the best due to big-time foaming issues (I hate to wait), and just plain hard to get down overall.

ppoitras, Sep 17, 2004

Dave_Treat, May 28, 2013

MMBrew, Jul 14, 2013

Rick778, Jun 13, 2014

Batch 52

Appearance: garnet brown, slight haze; thin film of head develops on pour but disappears immediately, forming a crown on the glass

Aroma: deep dark bready malt notes, a slight lactic twang, chocolate, prunes, raisins

Flavor: the up front lactic sourness dominates; underneath it are notes of dark chocolate, coffee, rich malt sweetness, hop bitterness, sherry, prunes, raisins and yeast; the finish is sweet and sour with the sourness staying around in the roasty aftertaste; also lingering are apples and rye-bread

Mouthfeel: full body, slightly astringent, big alcohol warmth, smooth

Overall Impression: This beer is a conundrum. I don't know if it's supposed to be sour or if it's a bad batch. I tried one over a year ago and was really put off by it. Then I tasted one about six months later and I didn't really detect any overt sourness (I'm not sure what the batch numbers were on those). This sample, though, is pretty lactic. It's growing on me as I drink it and as it warms up, but it's not something I would drink often. This one has been in my "cellar" for about a year.

Notes on Batch 59: Tasted a bottle of this batch the other night. Not sour at all. The lactic aroma/flavor was nowhere to be found. This leads me to believe that Batch 52 was definitely contaminated. 59 was all about the chocolatey sweetness with big notes of burnt caramel and peppery alcohol. Also mocha and a fait amount of smoke. Finish is sweet with a lot of residual roast and smoke. Because of this difference, I have increased the score from the previous score of 3.2.

GreenCard, Sep 02, 2003