Karlovacko - Karlovaċka Pivovara

KarlovackoKarlovacko

Karlovaċka Pivovara visit their website
Croatia (Hrvatska)

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-09-2002)
2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a green 500 ml bottle. Pale golden color with pure white head which dissipates quickly without any lacing. Smell is the fairly standard mild skunk smell from most Euro lagers from a green bottle. Taste... isn't half bad. Average, but I don't feel the need to have another one.

2.45/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: It pours like water, in the glass it looks like chardonnay. Nice white head on top, but it dissipates rather quickly. Very clear. It looks pretty good for the style..

S: Holy skunk ass batman!! Some malt scent in there, just a touch possibly a little noble hop smell, but it is hard to pick out.

T: Slightly sweet, with a little malt. There is a little skunk at the front of it. A slight bit of hops there, but not a lot to speak of.

M: Thin, with fairly high carbonation. It is quite the fizzy beer.

D: One is good enough for me. Not a big fan in general. But it is always nice to try the same lager from other countries.

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Light amber with a dense but thin white head that is nice looking.

Nose esters fruity white bread with spice and some undertones of green herbs; pleasant.

Mouthfeel is medium and well balanced, although flavors of white pepper, light celery, hints of salt and green peppers are very nice but very short lived.

Short herbaceous green pepper/green peppercorn finish. Not bad just a very short profile.

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%

I poured into a pint glass to three fingers of white head. It is pale yellow in color. The smell is like the grass after a rain. I also sense a little yeast in there. The taste is crisp and refreshing. It is better than I remember. It is a really drinkable beer if your into this style. I just am turned off by the green bottle. I can't get over my prejudice.

3.33/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a pale golden with a decent head that quickly subsides, leaving the thinnest layer of foam. Very little lacing to speak of. Aroma has grainy notes up front, with some hops and vanilla in the background. Taste is alright, with a bit more tartness than I expected, but also a disappointing lack of hops presence characteristic of the style. Mouthfeel is okay, with decent carbonation, though the body is perhaps a bit watery. Overall, not a bad brew, but not really my idea of a true Czech pilsener. As a previous reviewer stated, this beer is more reminiscent of a standard Euro pale lager.

2.05/5  rDev -32.6%

A very light straw colored clear brew, a white fizzy head that leaves no lacing.

The smell is modest, white bread and canned vegetables.

A bit sweetish taste, corn flakes, some metallic acidity, boiled vegetables. Very little bitterness.

Medium high carbonation, a bit watery and rather refreshing. A short dryness at the end.

To me this is not a Czech Pilsener, at least not a good one. More an unexciting euro pale lager.

3.73/5  rDev +22.7%

Croatians are pretty dang awesome at most things. So I figured I'd try their brew.

Pours a thin white head, dissipating quickly. Beer has a classic light yellowish pilsner hue and excellent clarity.

Smell is classic Czech pilsner, Saaz hops, flowery, slightly sweet, subdued, no harshness whatsoever.

Tastes light, slight bite in the mouth with an underlying smooth and slightly sweet taste of malt. This seems even lighter on hops than other Czech style brews from Europe, though.

Moutfeel is refreshing, slightly too light even for my taste (and I love delicate pilsners), but this could be nectar from heaven on a hot summer day.

Summary: nice beer, closely tracks Urquell and the other Czech pilsners but slightly lighter and less flavorful. Not a bad beer but not the cream of the class.

3.53/5  rDev +16.1%

I saw this beer at Total Wine and I couldn't resist buying it. It has a cool old world label, and a cool name.

This beer looks good in a glass. It is much darker than most pilnsers. It has a sticky head. The smell is malty with a strong hops aroma. The taste is unique. It's more malty than other czech pilsner styles. But it still has the usual strong bitterness of the hops, and it does have little bit of a metalic flavor. It leaves a sweet grassy aftertaste in the mouth. It feels very creamy in the mouth. And it goes down quite smoothly.

I don't think this is an amazing beer but it's not expensive for a European beer, and it is easy to drink. And the bottle is so cool you might just need to buy it!

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

I would have given this beer higher marks if I hadn't already been inundated with Eastern European pilsners over the past few years, since moving to and around the Russian and Polish neighborhoods of NYC.

It's sold in the discount section of my supermarket, for $1.79 for a bottle sized between a U.S. pint and an imperial pint. Thus, it's in the same price category as Coors Light. If that were all I knew of the beer, my expectations would have been lower and I would have given it higher reviews. But, given that I've drunk so many of these pilseners from countries formerly behind the Iron Curtain, my review is different. From that perspective, the beer is much like all of the others of its kind, though it is put together better than usual, and is above average. I wouldn't go to it looking for a great taste experience, but it's highly enjoyable on a hot spring/summer night, especially if paired with polish sausage or German bratwurst, maybe some sauerkraut.

The appearance is nice, like all of these beers. A slightly darker gold than usual, though. The head dissipated rather quickly, as is generally the case, but carbonation kept rising from the bottom. Once, I fell asleep without realizing that there was still beer in the stein (which the beer is usually served in, as I should have mentioned above). When I awoke, I found the beer and, to my surprise, there was still carbonation rising.

The aroma is generally the same, though there is a slight metallic hint, more pronounced than in others of this type.

The taste is also average, though it felt much more balanced than a number of other beers in this category. A couple of times, I've detected a metallic taste, but this is not the norm with Karlovacko. There is a very slight aftertaste, not at all unpleasant.

The carbonation level was exactly right, and the beer had a smooth, non-watery (compared to others in this category, and, surprisingly to me, compared to some of the ales with higher ratings), feel.

Overall, Karlovacko is a pleasant beer, worth the price. There is nothing particularly special about it, but, at the same time, one can't help but look forward to drinking a few bottles of it with some good food.

2.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Bright white, three-finger head emerges from a hard pour, quickly receding to a thin film, revealing a clear, golden yellow color with a steady stream of carbonation from the bottom replenishing the ring of foam remaining around the edge.

Slight aroma of fermented cabbage, dirty socks and a little bit of stale hops.

Typical Euro Pilsner with not a lot of flavor -- some hop bitterness and a mild, watered-down malt presence.

Good for washing down some polish sausage or for a game of checkers on the patio in hot weather.

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

Karlovacko is an average European Lager. Nothing exceptional to report, nothing awful either.

Pours a bright golden color with a large, fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Slight hop aroma. Smooth mouth-feel, a bit over-carbonated, with clean malt and slightly predominant hops.

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%

Served in a Budweiser pokal.

Liquid brass sits in my glass. (Let's hear some snapping from the peanut gallery for my poetry slap. Yeah, I said it.) The only reason I can distinguish between this brew and, say, a French horn, besides the clear sonic advantage favoring the latter, is the stiff quaff of white foam before me. Once this is dissipated, a steady stream of bubbly goodness rises from the base. A deep sniff makes me question why I even continue sampling the pilsners and AALs of the world, as they all seem to smell the same to me: some corn syrup, some toasted rice, and a bit of wheat. Nothing offensive, nothing impressive. The tastes are also very similar (though the pilses are indeed distinguishable from the AALs), with a firm backbone of wheaty rice propping up a vaguely bitter body. What makes me less derisive toward this particular brew is the lack of a sharp tinniness that tends to pervade other pilsners. Still nothing Earth-shattering, but definitely not as negative as the rest of its ilk. Though that bubbly jet stream continues to rise like one of those bubble walls we all used to marvel at while visited Sharper Image as children, the carbonation is not overtly active, not overly fizzy, allowing the fairly light body glide sleekly over the tongue and down the gullet. Though it has not converted me into a smiling clear lager drinker, it has shown me that I oughtn't necessarily judge every one as boring before I try it, and that Croatia is coming along in terms of beer production.

3.65/5  rDev +20.1%

Clear, lightish golden pour with a big fluffy white head after a pretty aggressive pour out of out of a 500ml brown bottle. I get no skunk in the aroma, but there is a wet grass/straw scent that is most prominent. There's a floral hint that I'd attribute to the hops, but I can't really sense a hop presence. You can, however, taste the hops. It's subtle, peppery, and grassy. This is clean and refreshing. I've always enjoyed this beer and it doesn't disappoint again.

2.25/5  rDev -26%

Not much to say here, this is just another mediocre Euro Lager. It pours clear, bright, yellow gold. Carbonation is a bit light. There's a touch of hops in the aroma and finish but nothing to write home about. The malt is relatively clean but bland. It's just too similar to too many other lagers to merit much discussion.

3.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 500mL green bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: crystal clear straw-gold color with a nice two-finger crown of foam. Nice.

Smell: got a whiff of skunk when I first opened the bottle but it dissipated rapidly. The beer itself smells pretty good for a green-bottle import; not too grainy with a pretty nice malt aroma.

Taste: not bad; rather mild. Nice malt flavor but with relatively little in the way of hops. Somewhat dry finish which is nice.

Mouthfeel: Karlovačko has a relatively low level of carbonation; I prefer a little bit more bite in my Pilsner. Still, there is a medium-light body and overall it's not bad.

Drinkability: overall, not too bad. I think I'd prefer it outdoors in hotter climes or times, but it does OK even in the winter.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a green 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is a bit on the skunky side. Taste is of malts, slightly sweet and finishing a bit bitter. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this makes for a pretty good choice.

3.05/5  rDev +0.3%

bought a pint single at surdyks..it poured a dark yellow color with an ok head and lacing not your typical pils color the smell was hops and sweet floral smells i also detect a slght earthy smell from this one..the taste was not as crisp and floral as i like euro-pils to be it had slight peat taste to it..overall its not a bad pils but ill choose budvar or golden pheasant over this one when the beer taste bud want an easy drinking euro-pils

3.43/5  rDev +12.8%

This one is dedicated to John, a friend and tavern keeper that recently passed away after running his bar for 50 years. This is the last "house beer" he was serving, as it was from his home country of Croatia. Johnny's Lounge RIP.

In a large mug this looks bright gold, a little darker orange than some. There's a fingers width of foam, with surprising lacing all around. Retention is ok, after the first couple sips it's head is still intact. Lazy bubbles make their way upward.

It smells clean with no off notes, a hint of bready pale malt sweetness, and an herbal noble hop hint when it was first poured. Any olfactory trace of hops seems to disappear quickly though. Not especially aromatic, but more importantly inoffensive.

Flavor is a little bland, though there is a very mild spicy bitterness from the hops and a touch of sweetness. Very dry in the middle, sort of papery with an occasional metallic twang. Carbonation is nice and crisp, and it's definitely a simple warm weather quencher. In the dead of winter, not so much for me.

Cheers John.

2.05/5  rDev -32.6%

A: This beer poured an average golden color. , appeared to have quite a bit of carbonation as I poured at a straight pour which produced about an inch and a half worth of head, which was fairly sustainable.

S: Little to no aroma for this product.

T: Not impressed what-so-ever. The after taste left a feeling of metal in my mouth and I constantly found myself asking when this beer would be over, so I could move on to the next.

M: Mouthfeel was generally plesant not overly full-bodied but slightlly bitter.

D: Not my favorite, but I've had worse.

Overall, I'd rate this about a 1.9 despite my above response.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

I poured most of a 500 ml Karlovacko pilsener into a pint glass. It was a very clear yellow and had a fragile one finger white head. I couldn't get much out of the aroma, not even your typical pils smells. This beer tasted sweet but had little other flavor, rather bland. It was light bodied and had adequate carbonation. In terms of drinkability, it would be a good session beer. Not bad, but summed up in one word, bland. Oh well, I was the one who wanted to try a Croatian beer.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into glass, no freshness date on bottle.

A: Crystal clear gold with a toasted look, plentiful medium bubbles and a soft thin white head that laces a little.

S: Mostly sulfur and skunk, but some buttery grain notes are detectable underneath.

T: Dry grainy malts up front paired with a slight skunky flavor. Shortly the malts start to take on a more toasted flavor, and meld nicely with some minimal hop bitterness as the biscuity aftertaste rises and falls.

M: Quite smooth. The carbonation lifts up the flavors nicely, but isn't too biting.

D: Very drinkable as is common for this style.

Overall: A good Czech Pils, but not the best example.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%

What starts out as a regular european style lager, comes out with some unusual notes as you partake.

A - Pale light gold

S - touch of skunk at the start, but went away. Notes of straw/hay. Something that makes me think of cigarette ash, and I don't know if that's a bad thing or not, but each time I'd bring the glass up to drink, I'd pause at that smell. No, I don't smoke, and i wasn't drinking it near smoke, heh.

T - Dry, sweet start that turns tart. Finishes dry. Touch of a grain sweet linger, corn like.

M - good. Sugary touch. Smooth.

D - good lager, quenching. Some interesting notes which you could either like or dislike, but probably not in between.

3.8/5  rDev +25%

I've tried this brew several times over the last 10 years and is has been very consistent.

The pour leads to a big head that dissapates fairly quickly with little lace. The color is a pale gold. (I'm a bit color blind to it is probably yellow)

The nose is subdued and does add or detract from the beer.

The mouth is quite full for a pilsner particularly with the carbonation stirring things up.

The finish is what I like about the beer. It is on the dry side but leaves a slighty malty finish.

Pours pale golden, fizzy, and with a healthy head. In the nose, it's grainy and with a whiff of adjuncts. Tastes very light, grainy, and perhaps a bit corny. Very light hops. Not terrible, but not all that exciting. The mouthfeel is lightly grainy and soft. Overall this is okay in a pinch. If I were in the Balkans, I'd probably be fairly pleased to find this at a restaurant rather than some other terrible Euro-lager.

2.58/5  rDev -15.1%

A: Pours light golden with a white high head that dissipates after a little while leaving a hint of lacings.

S: Not so strong smell, but there is malt mixed with hops - a nice blend.

T: Malt and some hops (but far to little hops to be a good czech pilsener), some sweetnes and fruit mixed with floral notes.

M: Carbonic acids, with small bubbles. Mediumbodied.

D: The first beer I had from the Balkans, but the Czechs make far better Czech Pilsener than the boys from Croatia. But this is not a bad beer, it just got some stiff competition in the style.

Karlovacko from Karlovaċka Pivovara