Rock Light - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rock LightRock Light

awful

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  3.59% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 57 | Reviews: 23
Reviews by beerme626:

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%

2.75/5  rDev +27.9%

Pours a pale golden yellow that's completely see-through. There's some short lived, soapy, fizzy head when first poured. The nose is sweet and corny with an odd sour, yeasty undertone. The taste is similar. It's very light and sweet with grainy, corn notes. The mouthfeel is super light, a little dry, very crisp, but smooth and easy to drink.

This is a typical light lager with intense adjunct tones. The aroma was a little off but there aren't any real off notes in the flavor. Overall it's not an awful lawnmower beer, but it's forgettable.

3.07/5  rDev +42.8%

Poured from a green 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts and corn. Taste is crisp, some malts and corn, more flavor than a lot of light beers. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall not that bad as far as light beers go.

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Poured a bright gold with light orange hues and a flat, weak sudsy white head that quickly dissipated. Visible carbonation was light and sporadic.

S: very corny with a light metallic nature (cold steel).

T: The flavor was corn with a distinct metallic nature and left a sour malting on the fade. pretty much that was all.

M: very fizzy, thin and watery with sour watery corn juice on the fade.

D: Near awful drinkability and couldn't finish. Fizzy, corny and a dumper by all means.

2.67/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle. Found a single bottle (green, of course) of this at a local store, so I figured I might as well try it. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with about a half inch white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing, either. Aroma is light grain/adjuncts, sweet malt and not much else. For the style of beer this is, the aroma isn't too bad as there aren't any offensive aromas. Taste is sweet malt, and some adjuncts/grain. Like the aroma, for the type of beer it is it doesn't taste too bad. Mouthfeel is light, with decent carbonation. Drinkability is decent, it's really not hard to drink at all. I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave me a bottle (not that I would look for this again). I've drank worse brews, that's for sure.

2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Appearance:
About ~1.5 fingers of white head quickly form, but it does not retain for very long. Lacing is almost non-existant. The beer is extremely translucent with only the slightest hint of a pale gold color. There is plenty of rising, visible carbonation.

Smell:
This brew smells like your typical mass-produced American product. A somewhat sweet corn aroma is complimented by a great deal of graininess. Overall, the smell is fairly sharp. There really isn't much to say other than that.

Taste:
Upon my first sip I notice that there is quite a kick. Thus, there is plenty of hop character but very little of anything resembling malt. The bitterness is quite strong and there isn't any spiciness or anything else of which to speak other than a subtle sweetness. After this wears off, I'm left with a bit of a "grassy" taste.

Mouthfeel:
The bitterness makes it quite dry on the tongue, but not in a particularly plesent way. I get a tingling sensation which gives the illusion of dehydration. The body is quite light, as expected.

Drinkability:
With the light body, it's quite easy to slam these. However, there is a bit too much bitterness for my liking given the style. The beer is fairly smooth, but other than that there isn't much going for it with respect to this catagory.

Summary:
The beer that I reviewed was of the AB variety - after Latrobe sold it. Sadly, it isn't quite as good as what I remember it being. Rolling Rock and its subsequent Light variety were decent macros, but I wasn't too impressed after this particular tasting. I typically like a lot of bitterness, but there isn't much flavor associated with it in this particular beer. If you feel like drinking a lot of these in a setting, be my guest. However, it's not worth going out of your way to try it if you haven't had it before; there are plenty of other light beers that are better.

1.5/5  rDev -30.2%

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%

1.99/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Basically water. This has almost no flavor and doesn't smell like anything. The only thing about it thats good is the price. I got twelve bottles at a local party store for only $6.99 and I drank it all while barely feeling anything. The regular Rolling Rock isn't as bad as this. This beer should be low on your beer bucket list.

1.91/5  rDev -11.2%

How did this get in my fridge?

That's "Premium" Rock Light thank you very much. Label also says something about added "49th parrellel hops" (?) and "barley'ed hoppiness." I feel as I'm being set up to be knocked down.

Golden straw color with a tidy white, Pop Rocks fizzing head. Thin skim collar holds up pretty well for a macro. Nutrition facts are on the bottle (106 cal, 6 carbs, .8 protein, 0 fat) which I think is pretty cool.

Aroma is a slight whiff of light grains...I guess. Doesn't smell like much at all so at least it doesn't smell bad. This would be good for people who suffer from beersmellophobia.

For a post-run beer it's not bad: probably because it taste like sparkling water. Tacky, get out of my mouth aftertaste. If you're going to drink crappy beer it may as well have less calories. Though if you're going to drink something that tastes like water than just cut out the calories completely and drink water. I'm sorry but I really can't taste anything in this beer. And I don't think it's my palette.

2.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising slowly from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden yellow highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy white head that quickly reduces to a couple of small patches of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of slightly sweet corn adjuncts and grainy malts.

T: Upfront there are very light flavors of grainy malts and corn adjuncts which add just a hint of sweetness. No perceptible hop flavors and only a hint of bitterness.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly watery.

O: This is a beer for people that do not really enjoy the flavor/aroma of beer. Very light in flavor and mouthfeel though it is easy to drink.

2.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Well, I CAN't really get behind the idea of "Latrobe B. C., St. Louis, MO." but I CAN try yet another beer on the CANQuest (I may have to trademark that name ...).

Stop, uh huh uh huh, stop me. Stop me if you think that you've [read] this one before. Nothing's changed ... - Strangeways, here [I] come!

I am growing REALLY tired of having the same beer over and over in a CAN. I am SOOOO tempted to start cutting & pasting from other reviews, but that would be an indefensible form of cheating and so I soldier on, opening CAN after CAN.

My pour produced a rapidly disappearing finger of bone-white head that morphed into mere wisps as I gasped in amazement. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had it all - cereal, corn, you name it, it was there. This was not even Rolling Rock in a light form - I say that as the result of drinking enough Rock over the years to be able to remember it. This was simply yet one more adjunct lager lightened to the point of worthlessness. Mouthfeel was thin and watery with a slightly metallic cereal sweetness on the tongue. Finish was light, airy, like liquid cotton. If I wanted liquid cotton, I would buy that. When I want beer, I am not looking at the calorie count or any other information like that on the side of the CAN. Gimme some BEER, dammit! OK, I'm over it.

2.5/5  rDev +16.3%

2.62/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Maybe I'm too much of a ticker these days... Regardless, this stuff pours a clear pale sallow (wow) topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises sweet corn and mild wheat. Wait, a Rolling Rock bottle that wasn't skunked!? The hell!? Not gonna argue... The taste holds notes of old corn, funky wheat, and hard water. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a slickly watery feel. Overall, a sad, weak little beer. 'Nuff said, really.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rock Light from Latrobe Brewing Co.