Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,469 | Reviews: 803
3.03/5  rDev +17.4%

Hop-heads should just stay away and differ from reviewing Rolling Rock.

You know what you are getting: a cheap, yet refreshing beer that is best drank ice cold after mowing the lawn. Nice go-to.

Good summer beer - sweetness from the malt and then the taste of corn and rice, there is very little hop profile to balance this out, kind of watery. Refreshing and would prefer over a pilsner.

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Sweet tasting, refreshing and light.

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Decent lager, nice sweet taste to it. Nothing special

2.13/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

For what it is, it could be a lot worse. Fact is, this is refreshing when cold and doesn't demand a lot of attention.

3.5/5  rDev +35.7%

Better than I would have expected.

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, pale yellow color with two-finger white head that has decent retention and slowly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of bubbles remained, there is some lacing on the glass, higher than average carbonation.

SMELL: sweet corn syrup, grass and crackers.

TASTE: initially some sweetness from the malt and then the taste of corn and rice, there is very little hop profile to balance this out, kind of watery.

PALATE: light body and higher than average carbonation.

OVERALL: this is a very poor tasting beer, unbalanced and watery, not like I remember from my youth, I buy AAL's on occasion but would not buy this again as there are much better choices available.

1.14/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I agree with the notion that Rolling Rock seems like it was better back in the day. I think they changed their recipe to obtain higher margins on the crap beer market. Sometimes I buy cheap beer but this is my least favorite, except maybe the malt liquors.

1.5/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I do my best to cut some slack to the cheap AAL beers, but this beer is barely palatable. I can handle PBR, Big Flats, Coors Banquet, but Rolling Rock is in another class. A lower class. I'm not sure if they changed the beer, but it seems to be a much differnt beer from what I recall from the ole high school glory days. Then again, I'd like to think I drank for different reasons back then. Perhaps it was junk then, too.

3.02/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a can. Pale yellow with a thick white head and minor legs. Faint malt aroma, not much. Taste has a lot of sweetness from the malt. Their is a faint bitterness but no hop tones. Very distinct and unpleasant metallic aftertaste. Very good texture and mouthfeel. Overall not very appealing.

It is what it is. Cheap light beer that's better than any Bud, miller, coors etc. As stated, drink ice cold on hot summer days. Great for tailgating or backyard BBQ's, drink it right out of the bottle.

Not good, but perhaps the best of the "macro" beers.

1.84/5  rDev -28.7%

Skunky smell - quite tasteless. Nothing to write home about. My go to if I want an old man beer. However, I would buy this over bud light any day of the week.

I love this beer. I know it is not popular but I drink what I like and I love this beer.

2.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Tastes of adjuncts. Corn and rice, lingering artificial sweetness that leaves an unappealing aftertaste. Very light and a bit watery. Not something I need again.

2.09/5  rDev -19%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

If I'm looking for a beer, I'm almost never looking for a Rolling Rock. However, its somehow crisp and refreshing, although I've wondered if it gets its only flavor from the green bottle mild-skunkiness syndrome.

3.52/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quick review. The basics: water-light, slick, skunky nose, general lack of interesting flavor (zero identifiable hop)...& yet I still have a soft spot for this brew. The goofy carb & cheapo malt components just speak to me, I guess.

3.46/5  rDev +34.1%

First review honors to a beer I've bought plenty of bottles, cans, and pints of. I'm a fan of green-bottled skunky beers, and while this one isn't as strong in scent, it goes down smooth and is best ice cold for those hot summer days. Obviously not a high-class, complex brew. It came from small town Latrobe after all. But damn if it's not a guilty pleasure. It's a beer my pops drank, so like father, like son I guess. Cheers.

Goes down smooth and taste great.

1.88/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Smells bad. Only drinkable if extremely cold.

3.02/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I hate to say it, but it's a guilty pleasure! It's gotta be REAL cold though! Btter than any Bud product out there.

1.06/5  rDev -58.9%

Smells bad and tastes bad.

2.18/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Ok after mowing the lawn. Too bad InBev bought em.

Always a good go to beer

2.38/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, pale yellow. Too watery in appearance. Head very white, fluffy and quickly gone. Smells heavily of adjuncts, but malty-sweet. Tastes of corn, walnuts, pencil shavings, esters, and honey. Smoother, wetter, fuller-bodied, but less carbonated than a Miller High Life. Also, less hopped. Could be refreshing on a hot day. Not nasty, but nothing special.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.