Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 765 | Hads: 2,530
4.76/5  rDev +81.7%

First of all, this is not what I would call a world class beer, but for what I drink it for, no other beer will do.

I think of this as malt soda, rather than beer, in the classical sense. It is a very crisp and refreshing beverage that absolutely has no equal in the summer months after a long day of lawn mowing in the hot sun. I grew up drinking this beer (back when they made it in Latrobe, PA), and it is the one beer that I still drink from my youth.

4.75/5  rDev +81.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The American Adjunct Lager...Have you seen it? Have you smelt it? Tasted it? Obviously no pretentious connoisseur will admit to it, or dignify it with a review. However, when times are tough, or even if they are not, why not get the most bang for your buck? I recently purchased a twelve pack of this beer for $8.94 . Any other beer in this genre that could be purchased at a competitive price would invariably cause headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and /or death. That being said, Rolling Rock is the supreme A.J.L. insofar as it has never caused me any of these symptoms, and has always given me a decent and refreshing buzz, without swelling my midsection into a gelatinous slime. At only 142 calories and $0.75 per 12 oz. bottle, Rolling Rock is my preferred session/go-to beer. A great value, and in the context of the genre, the best you are going to get as far as taste and mouth feel. DO NOT PURCHASE IN CANS! Bottles are far superior in flavor...and painting. Do not attempt to pour into a glass either! There is not much in the way of appearance or lacing to behold here. This is a beer for the masses, to be enjoyed straight out of the bottle, and for a reasonable price and caloric content. If you wear a monocle, and/or a top hat, steer clear, but if you are a practical and economical working person, this beer is a great return on investment.

4.71/5  rDev +79.8%

appearance is excellent, great styling, smell is good too, taste is excellent, they must use alot of hops in making it, yet its very sweet, its like a sweeter version of Heineken, mouth-feel is pretty nice I suppose, and overall I love this beer, my one and only beef with it is that its hard to find, but besides that I think this is the pinnacle of American Macro lagers, and I would hope that even all the craft beer preppies on this site try it and like it too.

4.6/5  rDev +75.6%

This is my go to beer so to speak. If I can't make up my mind this is what I buy. The taste is very mild and is probably the smoothest beer I've ever had.

It pours a light gold color, with little head. Definitely has a sweet corn taste. One of the best light beers I've ever had.

4.47/5  rDev +70.6%

Love this beer. Started buying it before it was taken over. I can currently get this beer on tap at the Eagles 75 cents. Only downside is on tap it gives quite a headache. Bottle is great too. I would hope one day the green bottle will be gone. I would avoid the can at all costs.

4.46/5  rDev +70.2%

Beer snobs hate this stuff.
But what do they expect for the price?
When you compare Rolling Rock to Bud, MGD, Coors...RR always wins hands down.
If I rated this beer just on doing what it is designed to do for the price (clean, refreshing, just holding that green painted bottle against your head after mowing grass is worth the price of six) I'd give it a 5.
But since the current AB configuration isn't as good as the original, I'll knock it down to a 4.
The beer is pale, as the label implies, but the taste isn't as light as some others in the genre.
I've never bothered to sniff beer when I drink it from the bottle and that's what this beer is made for.
The taste is clean and crisp and perfect for complementing foods at backyard parties.
As for the feel, the amount of carbonation can vary from batch to batch.
But overall, a damn good beer for the price.
FWIW, I like to throw a few Yuengling Ambers in the cooler with the Rolling Rock just to alternate when I head out to an all night party and that seems to work well for me.

4.44/5  rDev +69.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Going to be honest, consider this to be one of the most underrated beers. Definitely a top 3 favorite beer. Drank this one out of a bottle

A- golden like the inside of the lion in Aladdin (minus the magic carpet). Translucent, good bubble flow;bottom to top as usual. Consistent head residue- very impressive.
S- smells green, can't put my finger on the smell but defs clean. Currently comparing - other beers smell weird. very clean and crisp smell. very unique. inoffensive, flattering to the nostrils. faint snot smell.
T- unexpectedly crisp, no unwelcome aftertaste, its yummy, despite green bottle just as good out of bottle as out of keg.
M-goes down exceptionally easy (read: val). minimal carbonation, feels good
O- again terrific brew!!!! :) Want to have a great party? Buy some RR. KCCO

4.44/5  rDev +69.5%

Most distinguishing quality? It smells lemony, hoppy, and distinct. Warm? Bad. Ice cold? Sometimes it tastes like you just told some broad that "Baba O'Riley" is the name of what she insists is "Teenage Wasteland." Sometimes it tastes like you just cut the grass,are watching sports,or ate 6 hot wings and asked for water or 7up, and you got something better. I have been told by Northern Spring Breakers that this is nothing special-at all- up North. In 1990s southern college towns, though, this was the go-to-beer for the pizza parlor's philosopher. Find a '90s movie with an Anti-Hero, you will see RR. (I'm talkin' to you, Ethan Hawke.) Now that I am older, I find it at Florida gas stations. At $11+/12pack($6+/6pack) and rising, however, this ultra pale is becoming too expensive for what it is. The mystique has disappeared for all but the biggest fans, and now it is JUST hard enough to find at bars to be annoying. I feel like A-B may keep it around, but it may go the way of RC Cola--- highly-priced on the special shelf for sentimental reasons, not for quality. (As others have said, there is a perceived class to RR that keeps it premium.) All of that said, I LOVE this beer. Still my go-to beer, though, when I just cannot decide.

4.4/5  rDev +67.9%

A GREAT beer. My first time drinking this was on sunday night and I must say after 3, I was craving more. It was a very smooth, tasty beer. Easy to drink and fun to just relax with. I highly suggest this to anyone else looking to expand their beer repertoire.

4.36/5  rDev +66.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite beers on the market right now, it does have a VERY light hoppy corny taste that I personally do enjoy. The aftertaste has a very fresh take to it through my mouth. I do look the look of the bottle and the design, has an old school look to it and hope they stick with it for years to come.

If you are wondering what beer I would compare to, I'd say if you like Coors Light, give this a go, has a very similar after taste to it.

Would I get it again? Definitely

4.36/5  rDev +66.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

i don't care about the head or any foam, I go strictly by the buzz and taste! It sets very well the next morning and the taste is very pleasant, IMHO! As far as color goes I don't like pale beers and prefer mahogany colored beer, to me it taste better than bud light, i do get a corn taste(for those who like the taste of corn try Busch) and something i can't quite put my finger on! I get no nasty after taste like i do on other brands, it does have a dry finish to me. For the price and the way it sets on you the next day, I would recommend it to friends, that being said, there will be those who don't like it! Am I a beer expert , not by any means but I know what I like and my taste goes from IPA to this, give it a chance I think you will like it!

4.31/5  rDev +64.5%

This is my new favorite beer for around the house. Extremely satisfying and thirst-quenching. Great after a hard days' work or a good sweat-out. Pale straw color in appearance, smells like dark corn cereal, field grains, wet straw after a rainstorm, and a hint of urine smell (sorry, but it's true). Tastes great...bites the tongue and goes down smooth. Drinkability is exceptional. Lots of carbonation and leaves you wanting another and another.

Attractive green bottle with the horsie horsie.

Serve this one extra cold - as one reviewer put it, when it gets warm, it tastes like cornbread in a tin can. I couldn't have put it better. In fact - stick it in your freezer for 6 minutes before drinking it - the colder, the better. Probably best at 33*F (hey, there's that number again).

Nothing wrong with this light lager. Recommended if you're not too picky.

4.25/5  rDev +62.2%

poured from "retro" patio pack can into pint glass

3/4 inch foamy head, which diminished, but lingered quite a bit. this one has a rather clean smell. possibly a hint of apples oddly enough.

refreshing taste, goes down very smooth. i could easily drink a 6 pack in one sitting. great when looking for an alternative to the mainstream macros. however next time, i'll opt for the bottle. great "patio" beer for the summer.

4.15/5  rDev +58.4%

Not bad, actually it is good. Very refreshing, but just as that. I mean, it is clear, good lager, very yellow pale asi it says in the bottle. No additives smelling annoying, nor the flavor, but the look is good. No great foam, but there is it. I think is a good lager and maybe too good for a party, but does not quallify for a craft.

4.14/5  rDev +58%

Beer made with water from the mountain, the clearest beer i've tested.

A: Extra pale yellow color, the foamy head is thin but never disappear;

S: Mild, slightly tart and very refreshing, like spring water;

T: Excellent, earth hops with scents of capers and olives;

M: Dry, medium bitterness, almost no carbonation;

D: Very very good american beer.

4.1/5  rDev +56.5%

Its not a craft beer. Its a Rolling rock. If im not broke enough to buy pbr, and im not feeling a budweiser, Ill grab some rolling rocks. So drinkable, very nostalgic. This beer will last forever. I have to keep writing characters to make this review long enough so thats what im doing.

4.1/5  rDev +56.5%

As a Canadian eh, this is my beer of choice when travelling within the US of A. The taste is crisp with a light sweetness. and minimal after taste. The fact that it is a light offering enables the consumer (me) to quaff more than 1.....often!

4.08/5  rDev +55.7%

I've been a fan of Rolling Rock, well, ever since I started drinking beer really. I'm not sure what gave it its appeal, probably it's price compared to its counterparts. Either way, I've always greatly appreciated it...especially its smell, flavor, and drinkability.

It doesn't have the best appearance, although better than a lot of its kind, and pretty much superior amongst Anheuser-Busch products. Pretty typical of a pale lager, a crisp lemony-yellow. Personally its not so much about the appearance here, as it's good straight from the bottle. Nonetheless it has a good, frothy snow-white head that could stand respect from even the most skeptical stout drinkers.

The smell is skunky, but average. Nostalgic really, and once again stands above most of its counterparts. Has a bit of grainy smell and is more on the malt side. It really lacks smell when compared outside of its breed but is almost above average in its home category. Almost.

The taste is exceptional, which is why I most fancy Rolling Rock to other light beers. It has a full, crisp taste; malty and not overly sweet.. although there's a hint in there somewhere. A sweet grain taste perhaps. Some might describe it as bitter, but not offensively so. Stands absolutely bar-none to its peers (Coors, Bud etc)

As for feel and drinkability, the feel is crisp, but smooth.. light, but not watery. It is especially refreshing and goes down with the best of them. Recommend it with pizza or burgers, a good Bar&Grill or party beer.

4.02/5  rDev +53.4%

Definitely my favorite of the less expensive beers, this is the perfect thing to drink after a long day at your blue-collar job. Thee working class beer for sure. Everything, from the cheap taste to the not-so frothy head to the awesome green-glass bottle gets me excited. We always keep some Rolling Rock around the house, along with other, more expensive beers; but I always keep coming back to the Rock. Classy? Maybe not. Sophisticated? No. Delicious for what it is? Without a doubt.

So I'll start with the price, great value. Very great. But I thing I have noticed is that sometimes the beer is inconsistent. One case will taste great, it will be very light and taste like corn lol and other times it will taste like stale Heineken Light. But it is a smooth beer with a sweet corn taste and worth the price.

Good summer beer - sweetness from the malt and then the taste of corn and rice, there is very little hop profile to balance this out, kind of watery. Refreshing and would prefer over a pilsner.

For the "cheap ass beer that is also hydrating" category. I could (and have) day drank this beer for hours on end and wake up in the AM feeling no worse than if I had a bomber of a nice bourbon barrel aged RIS.

It's borderline clear yellow, with a thin white head. Minimal aroma, but more on the malty/metalic side if you inhale deeply. Taste is seltzer water, mouthfeel is seltzer water.

I don't grab a 'rock I'm looking to build a memorable craft beer experience, I grab one when I want a casual adult bubbly beverage. I'm honestly not even sure if it's possible got get drunk drinking these, much less have a night that ruins my next morning.

3.99/5  rDev +52.3%

Looks quite bright but a few micro floaties upon close inspection. very pale. Head dissipates.

Very little in the aroma depatment, slightly grainy

Tastes remarkable like club soda. This beer has less overall flavor than almost any other beer I have ever had. Very clean and fresh tasting. remarkably refreshing. almost no lingering flavors.

very light mouthfeel with prickly carbonation.

Overall this beer was excellent. I wanted to buy some cheap beer in cans and was surprised at the quality of this beer in the end. People will bash this type of product but it is what is supposed to be.

3.98/5  rDev +51.9%

This beer is pretty good, it must be served with a lemon or lime to bring out it's full potential. Widely underated the lemon takes the beer to a new level. Brewed since 1939 it's has found it's place on this of beers i'd drink again.

Try this beer, you will find yourself on your fourth before you know it.

3.97/5  rDev +51.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Sure, the marks are a bit high, but this is my cheap beer of choice.

It was the beer I grew up with, the beer my father and his friends would nurse a sixer of as they talked away into the night.

To this day (long after the last pint was brewed in Latrobe), it's excellent with some roadside BBQ, and it's eminently sessionable. Very, very carbonated, but that's the point; you need some serious bubble-work to cut through big-time grease.

The aroma score is quite high, in my mind. It's due to the distinctiveness of the nose -- no beer smells exactly like RR; it's a beer that prides itself, and indeed, defines itself, by a one-time brewing mistake. While it may offend the nose of some, to me, it's as unique and alluring as some of Belgium's finest offerings. You call it a flaw -- I call it a signature.

A great beer, born for hot summer nights. Still a classic.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.