Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Rolling Rock. Who can forget the jewel green bottles and the horse on the front with the eloquent speech on the back containing 33 words? I truly wish this beer got more love here but I can understand why it doesn't. It's not everyone's cup of ...er, beer. I'll conclude the intro by saying it is one of my personal favorites. On a hot day or just a relaxing-after-work situation, Rolling Rock is hard to beat. I honestly mean that.

Appearance - not pouring this one but if I remember correctly the head isn't very impressive and recedes rapidly.

Smell - Cantaloupe, sweet corn, sweetened cereal. With a touch of sourness. Dash of harvest wheat.

Taste - A mellow, lightly sour, yet spicy flavor that bites nicely and leaves you feeling satisfied. A body of corn sweetness envelopes the flavors and wraps it up in a gift horse for your tongue. Spicy notes leave a dry flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Carbonated, but full bodied and smooth. Dry finish. Lots of burps.

Overall - Rolling Rock is a tasty treat at a perfect price. Rolling Rock, like revenge - is a dish best served cold. Ice cold. As the beer begins to warm, you really start to smell and taste the off-notes and imperfections. And at that point, it's a drain pour. Rolling Rock is best enjoyed within 5 minutes of cracking the cap. And I don't think I'd want to drink it out of a glass or a can. Green bottles for me, please. And for $9.47 a 12 pack at your local wally world - who can argue. I can enjoy a craft just as much as the next guy, but for an every man's beer, Rolling Rock is a step above the crowd. It is what it is. A great beer for the working man.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 09, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +47.9%

my very first beer, handed down from my grandfather. I swear this runs through is veins...as long as I can remember, hardly ever saw him without one in his hand. always remember him sitting out late at night on his porch, drinking and as he would say, "counting his blessings." a beer that has sentimental value which puts it up there for me. love that green bottle! in my eyes, the drink of a hard working family man.

flagbearer, Aug 03, 2014
3.73/5  rDev +44%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

24 oz can poured into a lager glass.

A - Straw. Decent white head gives way to nice lacing. Good retention.

S - Not much there. Faint corn and apple.

T - Sweet malt with a little hop action. Very crisp with a proper amount of carbonation. Finishes clean and sweet with faint corn/apple taste.

M - Light

O - One of my top five AAL. It's an unabashedly delightful and delicious brew. Go get some!

joe12pk, Jul 30, 2014
2.98/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Having been unimpressed by this beer in the past, it had been years since I had tried it. A friend brought a bunch over to my place in those classic green bottles, and I had to try one.
There's not a lot of flavor here, but what is there is a very clean and refreshing. Very light, and has the potential to be a great summer beer if it's on sale. Otherwise there are others from the style I'd take over this. I think what's best about this beer is not what it is, but rather what it isn't. That is, it's not harsh, funky, or metallic like some AALs, which in some ways is endorsement enough.

DagenhamDavis, Jun 29, 2014
2.91/5  rDev +12.4%

Ah, the old days when Rolling Rock was like a gourmet beer...something rare...something to actively seek out. Found a sixer of these at Harry's in Marietta for $4.99 and decided to trip and fall down memory lane.

Appearance 2.25: Wow, this is indeed a "Pale Ale." Looks like watered-down apple juice. No head. No lacing. It's just there. It does kind of look beer-esque, though.

Smell 3.0: Bouquet is actually OK. Hints of grains and the classic lager phenols.

Taste 3.0: Front is missing. Nothing there, taste-wise. Middle is somewhat sweet, with heavy carbonation interrupting any deeper taste that might have been present. Finish is smooth, with a very light taste of malt, but that's it. Aftertaste is where some brief hints of corn pop up along with some brief hints of grains, before it all fades away.

Mouthfeel 2.5: Too much carbonation and it interferes with the taste of the beer.

Overall 3.0: In spite of this beer's many faults, it is still OK. Nothing fantastic, just a basic lagery, bubbly, malt beverage to quench your thirst or wash down some pizza or wings. If you can get it cheap in the summer, it is a great lawnmower beer. Still, if you pay over five bucks for a sixer of these, get your head examined. Again, this beer is not bad, it just is not that good. A classic and an OK beer.

BeerDocT, Jun 22, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +85.3%

First of all, this is not what I would call a world class beer, but for what I drink it for, no other beer will do.

I think of this as malt soda, rather than beer, in the classical sense. It is a very crisp and refreshing beverage that absolutely has no equal in the summer months after a long day of lawn mowing in the hot sun. I grew up drinking this beer (back when they made it in Latrobe, PA), and it is the one beer that I still drink from my youth.

FoodBlog, Aug 09, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Some joker brought a sixer of this to my party, where there was Southern Tier Unearthly & Rush River Unforgiven on tap. And left without drinking any. Ha ha, funny guy! I think I know who you are, punk!

Anyways. I'm loathe to review this. Even in college, this was always a beer I'd stick a lemon or lime in to try to kill of some of the, ah, taste. But it's here. I'm here. My Twins just coughed up four runs in the first inning to the Royals, my car's in the shop, I have water damage in the basement, & my daughter has pink eye. Bring on the fuckin' Rolling Rock!

Yellow like taking a piss just before it turns completely clear. Ring of soap scum around the edge of the glass. I'm letting my past influence this, huh? Tough. Smells just like the floor of First Avenue in Minneapolis.

Well, hell. It's not as bad as I remember. For a macro that smells terrible, the taste is almost palatable. It still isn't good, but it's not the road-kill skunk I recall. Maybe it was the locales. Or the company.

Drinkability? No thank you. And it's getting more fragrant & less inviting as it warms.

Not a good beer. At the risk of sounding snobbish, if my choice is Old Latrobe or apple juice, I'll be happy to grab a cardboard container of Juicy Juice.

maximum12, Aug 12, 2009

1.96/5  rDev -24.3%

AMHERST, Oct 24, 2014

Srkolodn, Oct 22, 2014

Natchie, Oct 22, 2014
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.