Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 756 | Hads: 2,484

First had: a bottle in a friend's basement, presumably

Wow, I actually used to drink this. Pours a clear, residual brownish-yellow color that is one shade away from being water. Thin, bubbly, white head. Naught in the aroma other than skunk and a touch of grain. Cereal grains in the taste--barely--metallic and skunky. Light and watery, easy to drink if you just wanna down a case and get fit-shaced. (402 characters)

I've drunk enough of this stuff to know it is a truly nothing beer. It's not BAD, but it's not very good. A regional adjunct lager that just won't die. I guess there are some die-hards out there that look at Rolling Rock as their go-to brew, but I have precious little respect for this line. "From the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe," sounds like a pitch for a 1930's B-movie. (378 characters)

I had the A-B version for the first time recently...and wanted to cry/scream. Just another example of corporate greed ruining a good thing. Why couldn't they have continued making this at the Old Latrobe brewery ?

Rolling Rock was always a good summertime beer, to be enjoyed ice cold. It was always a good choice if you went to a bar that only carried American macro brews. Nothing special but better than the others...had a certain taste (rice?), light and drinkable.Drank it off and on for 25 years and it was always consistant.

The A-B version is totally different (long time R.R. drinkers will know at the first sip). I wish I could say that it even tastes like Bud (similar rice beer), but it doesn't. It tastes like a cheap macro where they try to hide the flavor by over-hopping it (similar what they did to Strohs after they closed the Detroit brewery in '86). It is just awful...just another reason to despise A-B. They just wanted the green bottle,white painted label and name for marketing purposes only.

NOT the same as it ever was. '86 to old 33, will never buy it again. (1,094 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -61.6%

I sampled this as an example of a beer with strong characteristics of DMS or dimethyl sulfide.

The pour is a golden clear color out of a green bottle (sunburn anyone?). The foam was decent and limited lacing.

So I poured this in a sniffer glass and after taking a whiff, wish I didn't. The smell is strongly and pregnantly of stewed, overcooked and roting vegetables. Don't believe me, then let RR set out in the sun for a day then cool it and try it. The smell is horrible. I think I need a band aid for my nostrils. It was so bad I had to take a break before I tasted it.

When I came back to taste, I don't think I took long enough. The taste was all to familiar with the vegi un-delight. I couldn't finish it. Flushed right down the sink with the garbage disposal on. Give me Bud or Coors over this. (811 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -59.7%

When poured into my glass, this beer had a large white head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. There is a lot of carbonation with this beer and absolutely no lacing on the sides of my glass. The aroma is awful as is the taste. Yuck!! The body hue is yellow. It tastes thin and water-downed. Definitely no character in this beers. (338 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -58.2%

I'm reviewing beers my neighbor drinks and boy is this an abomination
of the brewing arts. The big thing that stands out on this beer is the aroma
and taste of sweet corn. It's really distgusting. I cannot detect barley at all.
Whatever hops are being used are not enough to mask the horrible, sweet
flavor of this concoction. Don't understand why anyone would drink this
when you can get 4 pint cans of Bitburger from Trader Joe's for a fiver.
Avoid at all cost. It really is that bad. (488 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I agree with the notion that Rolling Rock seems like it was better back in the day. I think they changed their recipe to obtain higher margins on the crap beer market. Sometimes I buy cheap beer but this is my least favorite, except maybe the malt liquors. (256 characters)

1.14/5  rDev -57.5%

Had this at a get together.

Pale gold with a small white head with poor retention. The smell has corn, cereal, and skunk. Not a good start.

The taste is just like the smell. Corn and cereal, and a definitely skunked beer.

Thin and watery with high carbonation. Just not a good beer, and the green bottle doesn't help at all. Nobody to blame but the brewery for this mess. (376 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -56.7%

Can: Poured a super pale yellow color lager with a medium size foamy head with light retention. Aroma of sweet adjunct is gross when I was expecting plain bland aroma. Taste is also gross with weird adjunct notes that are not even refreshing. This is worse then I was expecting, i.e. plain boring Coors Light style lager. (321 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -55.2%

The style of this beer says it all, "American Adjunct Lager". They'll put anything in here except for quality ingredients.

A - Typical pale straw fizzy yellow. Maybe some small head formation.

S - Not much in the nose with this one. Maybe some stale rice or corn, but not much else.

T - There's an apparent attempt at hops, but it fails miserably.

M - Little bubbles dacing on my tongue, but rather thin and watery.

D - Not drinkable at all. Drain pour. (460 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -54.1%

There really aren't many beers I'll turn down, this is one.

It's watery, fizzy, smells like oatmeal kept in a humid basement. It's not even suitable for a lawn-mowing beer on a 100 degree day here in Bawlamer.

My foremost objection though is the presence of corn (maize, that is) as an ingredient. Any beer containing corn should have to have a warning label or be called something other than beer. The taste of stale Corn Pops - Yuck!

This is a beer best drank straight from the bottle and ice cold, you definitely don't want added sensory input.

Yet, it does have devotees. I don't get it. (603 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Easy drinking with no taste whatsoever, I found Rolling Rock to be quite overrated and honestly it's a beer that should be avoided. On tap it pours a light yellow, the taste is non existent and it is a smooth finishing brew with a very light of water. (251 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%

Serving was from a 12 oz. painted bottle poured into a glass mug.

A: light amber in color; looks like a kind of dark ginger ale; appealing color

S: basically smells like wheat and some animal urine mixed together

T: light and wheaty; not very strong, bitter, or hoppy; slightly milky

M: very good mouthfeel; seems to thicken once it hits your tongue; slight acidity

D: drinks very smoothly, and the good mouthfeel combine to make it very drinkable despite the average taste.

edit: lol @ my old review. i was a noob. this beer tastes like sweetmilk water. it's actually one of my least favorite beers i've ever encountered. (628 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -52.2%

Well well well, Rolling Rock has tried to LOWER its brand name to compete with good ol' PBR!!! WHY, I remember the days that Rock was another green bottle beer along side with michlob or heiny!! This beer is like pee in a bottle because of its yellow tint and has more bubbles than a soda! If I wanted a soda, I would buy a soda not a cheep pee looking beer. AB....well inbev try again. Everyone remember PBR-RRRRba Day is coming up soon. (438 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -51.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I think this stuff is nasty. I literally rather drink natural ice or natural light than this. First off the apearence of this is the typical piss yellow, "extra pale" is how they prefer to characterize though. The smell is nothing particularly inviting and neither is the taste. It consist of a sweet kind of nasty fruity flavor which doesn't appeal to my palate. The mouthfeel is light and very carbonated. Why not buy Yuengling, in bottles, for only a few bucks more? (469 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -51.1%

Wow, this really is as bad as everyone say.

Smells a little sweet, but mostly of adjunct. Tastes like refined corn. Not just a little but a whole lot. Thankfully there isnt much aftertaste, but this is still hard to drink.

I've heard some people love the "unique" taste of Rolling Rock and if that's they're bad, I'm not going to say anything. Just keep this away from me. (378 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Not my cup of tea. No real reason to ever try this again. I suppose it would suffice if it were the last beer on Earth, although I might give up beer at that point. (164 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Bad beer central. This one pours from the green bottle a light golden, nearly completely water colored, with a fluffy white head. Smells and tastes like stale skunk, maybe a bit of corn and hay. Mouthfeel is light and yet offensive with the skunky finish, with high carbonation. Bad stuff here. Bud Light is a huge upgrade from this. (333 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

Two Words: Creamed Corn. Thats what you taste and smell when you drink this stuff. What an awful brew. It looks different in its silk screen green bottles, but it tastes like absolute garbage. The taste of corn dominates this beer. The smell is awful... Don't even attempt to drink this beer unless it is extremely cold and you are extremely thirsty. Its cheap, but so is Spam. Doesn't mean its good. If you're gonna plunk down 14-15 bucks on a case, get some Yeungling. (470 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -49.6%

Average to below average beer. very pale ale that needs to be served ice cold. If not taste is unholy! Did I say needs to be ice cold to take down. Just really did nothing for me. It's a beer that can be tossed down without too much thinking...see macro type. My brother in law likes this...I have no idea why. Probably cause it is cheap. I'll have one or two but that's it only because that's all he has...then again I'll pass.

Pale, lite and goes down easy(if served ice cold...again).
Much, much better beers out there.

I'll pass on this one.

Cheers (555 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -49.3%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to medium sized white bubbles and a straw yellow body. It has a very mild malt-hop aroma with poor lacing and flat hoppy flavor that is weak and watery. Not a brew that I would ever recommend even to my worst enemy! (253 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -47.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A-No head. No lace. Flat and yellow. High carbonation at first. However, it disappeared after a few minutes and turned flat.

S-Wheat and metallic.

T-Water, soda water, metallic, and a little hint of wheat.

M-Wet going in. Leaves a dry and sour aftertaste. No hops or malts present.

O-I do not recommend this beer. If you want adjunct lager, drink MGD. Maybe it was a bad batch, I don't know. There was not a date on it. I did not even finish the whole thing. I dumped it in the sink. (520 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -47%

Oldie but a goodie--here goes... unabashedly transparent--resembles table water... champagne-like pale yellow--as light as a beer could look? Head swiftly settles.... metallic, pungent pilsner malts... nothing of a "bouquet"... champagne-like scents here too? Fizzy, almost seltzer body and a gassy, heavy end at the throat; watery at the tongue... "extra pale" = a woody, old almost annoying skunk--not quite what I remember from college life! Once magical, quaint and familiar, Rolling Rock just pales in comparison to almost anything else I now drink... oddly reminiscent of Keystone Light, ending with a grapey sweetness and a woody corrugation down the throat... lamentably, not much good to say.... (704 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -47%

A - Drank it straight from the can so I don't know.

S - Uhhh...Well, Nothing much actually. Maybe some very very VERY slight rice.

T - Once again, Almost nothing but extremely slight rice.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, I paid $4.99 for a six-pack of cans of this stuff, And it pretty much lives up to it's price. It would be a great beer to party with since it goes down so easily and it will eventually do it's job, But from an advocate's perspective, This stuff is garbage. (505 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -45.9%

Another lager much similar to anheuser busch family, with adjoints of grains (rice again), its taste make feel like a beer with sugar, its appearance is poor, its smell too, taste not recommended, mothfeel and drinkability down by standard. this beer is good for the new drinkers or youths in his age of take a beer. (316 characters)

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.