1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Ratings: 1,842 | Reviews: 702 | Show All Ratings:
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

This was beer of choice as a young adult and college student, it just had a great taste and was a good beer to chill out and relax with, though it does leave you with a terrible hangover. The quality and taste did change when AB-InBev bought out Rolling Rock and moved production out of Pennsylvania. It pours real pale yellow, with a soapy head the dissolves quickly, and sparkles with carbonation. You get a mineral watery, malty taste, that is finished with a sweet taste. There is a malt aftertaste, no edge, light in body, and not filling. Good with food, working, and fishing.

04-10-2014 16:34:53 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
Jake29

3.48/5  rDev +34.4%

I don't know if you guys know this but, Old bay crabs and a rolling rock go together like peanut butter and jelly

Also Nothing beats drinking some ponies at the beach. 7 ice cold ounces. Drink it before it gets warm on a hot summer day.

Rolling rock was my first beer I ever had so I gotta rep

I'm more of a IPA guy but I like to drink some rocks

04-09-2014 04:46:47 | More by Jake29
tomsamarati

I grew up in NY in the 1960's. And when I became of drinking age I had friends in western PA that I would visit often. Our sit on the porch and talk forever beer was Rolling Rock. I enjoyed the brisk, light flavor that really tasted of clear stream water. Until today, I had my last Rolling Rock around 2002 when it was still made in PA.

Just bought a 6 pack of the St. Louis Anhauser Busch Rolling Rock. This ain't the same beer of my youth. This beer is sudsy, tastes of mildewed hay. Tastes like a lightweight Schlitz. Terrible.

I live in Santa Rosa, CA now. Glad to have Russian River Brewing down the street form my house.

04-08-2014 01:44:52 | More by tomsamarati
kojevergas

2.2/5  rDev -15.1%

12 fl oz green glass (ugh...) bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap and uninteresting label acquired at a local corner mart and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery. 4.4% ABV according to the bottle.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured somewhat gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Thickness isn't bad considering the style, and there's even a bit of creaminess. The complexion and consistency are weak and unappealing, however. Head retention is well below average - about one minute at best. Inconsistent spotty lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a weak looking clear transparent yellow, which lacks vibrance. Appears thin and watery. The overabundance of rising carbonation bubbles suggests overcarbonation. Translucent.

Overall, it's a weak looking brew but is par for the style. I'm optimistic. Not unique or special by any means, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: Strangely sweet and buttery. Sugarcane, diacetyl, sweet corn adjunct (this is the dominant note), cheap barley, and some light grains. I find no yeast character, hop profile, or alcohol. It comes off too sweet and I'm a bit turned off by that. It's inoffensive, though. Not a great aroma by any means. Definitely adunct-laden.

Above average in terms of strength.

T: Heavy corn adjunct, empty malty sweetness, depleted barley, and buttery/diacetyl character. Lacks any discernable hop profile whatsoever. I don't pick up on any yeast character or alcohol either. Painfully simple, lacking any subtlety, intricacy, or nuance. I'm not a big fan of the taste, but I've definitely had worse and while it's not enjoyable, there are no egregious off-notes that would really turn one off to it. Even the diacetyl is bearable. Below average depth of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour (for the style). Average duration of flavour.

Unbalanced (but not imbalanced; there's a difference). Build has a loose cohesion, but this isn't a gestalt flavour profile.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Syrupy and thick. Too viscous. Has a bit too much body for its lack of flavour. Presence on the palate is bad overall, and the texture doesn't suit the flavour profile particularly well. I'd almost prefer the thin watery texture common amongst bad offerings in this style. Unrefreshing. It feels artificial - likely from the adjunct. This isn't a quenching brew by any means.

Not boozy, hot, oily, astringent, rough, or harsh.

Dr: Downable swill at an affordable price point. I'd file this in the "student beer" category. I won't be buying it again but it's far from intolerable. Rolling Rock has better offerings and I'd caution friends from picking up this one. I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle, though, and it's not a terrible beer by any means. I'm glad I tried it but it just didn't come together like a good adjunct lager should. It's not quite as bland and boring as many beers in this style, but I'd probably take the blandness of something like Budweiser over the off-putting adjunct sweetness featured prominently in this flavour profile.

D

02-26-2014 04:51:00 | More by kojevergas
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampled tonight on 2/17/14. Had this classic several times in the past but been a couple of years since the last one. Always loved the painted on label on the green bottle. Used to be made in Pa but ol' Bud bought them out I see. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a crystal clear gold in color with about a 1-finger frizzy white head that settles down to just the top. Some spotty lacing was seen. Lots of bubbles streaming up from the sides and bottom of the glass with medium carbonation. The aroma is of sweet corn, rice and grains. The taste is about the same but is stronger and more of a sweeter finish.

02-18-2014 03:25:49 | More by BeerWithMike
matjack85

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz green bottle with a painted on label. Last time I had one of these I remember them being from Latrobe, Pennsylvania, but I see now that Anhauser-Bush has bought them out and they are now made in St.Louis, Missouri. No freshness date.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale gold color with a 1½-finger white head. The head lasted only 30 secOnds and left no lacing whatsover.

Smells like bubblegum and corn sweetener.

Slightly sweet flavor from the pale malt and corn. The adjuncts used here are both corn and rice, but not getting much flavor from the rice. There is a mild bitterness from the hops which balances nicely.

Crisp and light with medium carbonation.

Not bad for the price. It's an easy drinking crisp refreshing lager.

01-30-2014 23:20:34 | More by matjack85
mando_thegreat

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer. it is tasty, goes down smoothly, and some how stayed cold for a while. (maybe because its winter) but my first time having this beer a year or so ago, i had to get it again because i enjoyed it so much. . although i think the packaging could be a little more attractive, its affordable, and as i said good. I will recommend this beer to anyone.

01-25-2014 03:57:11 | More by mando_thegreat
Isrealite

4.75/5  rDev +83.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The American Adjunct Lager...Have you seen it? Have you smelt it? Tasted it? Obviously no pretentious connoisseur will admit to it, or dignify it with a review. However, when times are tough, or even if they are not, why not get the most bang for your buck? I recently purchased a twelve pack of this beer for $8.94 . Any other beer in this genre that could be purchased at a competitive price would invariably cause headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and /or death. That being said, Rolling Rock is the supreme A.J.L. insofar as it has never caused me any of these symptoms, and has always given me a decent and refreshing buzz, without swelling my midsection into a gelatinous slime. At only 142 calories and $0.75 per 12 oz. bottle, Rolling Rock is my preferred session/go-to beer. A great value, and in the context of the genre, the best you are going to get as far as taste and mouth feel. DO NOT PURCHASE IN CANS! Bottles are far superior in flavor...and painting. Do not attempt to pour into a glass either! There is not much in the way of appearance or lacing to behold here. This is a beer for the masses, to be enjoyed straight out of the bottle, and for a reasonable price and caloric content. If you wear a monocle, and/or a top hat, steer clear, but if you are a practical and economical working person, this beer is a great return on investment.

12-18-2013 07:58:18 | More by Isrealite
apu1

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +71%

A GREAT beer. My first time drinking this was on sunday night and I must say after 3, I was craving more. It was a very smooth, tasty beer. Easy to drink and fun to just relax with. I highly suggest this to anyone else looking to expand their beer repertoire.

12-18-2013 06:42:21 | More by apu1
Alextricity

2.76/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had directly from the bottle at Boat Works in St. Clair Shores, Michigan.

Appearance: Welp, green bottle... I know it's a very light beer, and almost like a cream ale. No fingers of head in the glass.

Smell: Genny Cream Ale, are you familiar with that? A creamed corn sort of smell. Quite sweet. Fairly pleasant, nothing offensive. Not much to it.

Taste/feel: Not bad. Decent flavor, but not much going on. Vanilla sort of flavor, like you may expect from a mass-produced cream ale-esque beer. The feel is kind of nice, actually pretty creamy. It reminds me a bit of Genessee Cream Ale, but they seem really similar to me, based on my memory.

Not an awful beer at all. More enjoyable than a lot of light beers out there, as it has a bit of a body to it, and slightly more flavor.

10-18-2013 02:39:32 | More by Alextricity
Dammer-licht

3.49/5  rDev +34.7%

The beer, if had out of a can, is a mistake. A 30 rack of this stuff just isn't the way to go (bottles and cans is like day and night with RR). Buy a 12 pack and enjoy! Very smooth and drinkable for a night out or a winter holiday such as Christmas or especially New Year's. A step above a typical Budweiser.

10-04-2013 03:05:02 | More by Dammer-licht
rob119

4.5/5  rDev +73.7%

Its not a craft beer. Its a Rolling rock. If im not broke enough to buy pbr, and im not feeling a budweiser, Ill grab some rolling rocks. So drinkable, very nostalgic. This beer will last forever. I have to keep writing characters to make this review long enough so thats what im doing.

09-14-2013 05:10:54 | More by rob119
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

2.18/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours pale straw with little foam. Bubbly throughout and looks like alcoholic soda. Aroma is sourdough biscuit malt and little else, maybe a slight whiff of green grass and sulphur. Taste is similar to the aroma, with the barest hint of hop bitterness. Mostly sour uncooked dough and another thin sour flavor that calls to mind ultradiluted lemon juice. Cornflake sweetness. Maybe a hint of vinous fruit. Notable DMS. Very watery and thin, leaves mild bitterness on the palate and ends dry, with playdough and plaster notes lingering. Was expecting more skunk given the green bottle but actually wasn't too bad in this regard. Hard to imagine how a light version of an already very pallid beer would even qualify as beer.

08-24-2013 02:18:36 | More by CalgaryFMC
FoodBlog

4.8/5  rDev +85.3%

First of all, this is not what I would call a world class beer, but for what I drink it for, no other beer will do.

I think of this as malt soda, rather than beer, in the classical sense. It is a very crisp and refreshing beverage that absolutely has no equal in the summer months after a long day of lawn mowing in the hot sun. I grew up drinking this beer (back when they made it in Latrobe, PA), and it is the one beer that I still drink from my youth.

08-09-2013 17:18:51 | More by FoodBlog
EzechielPregzt

4.4/5  rDev +69.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite beers on the market right now, it does have a VERY light hoppy corny taste that I personally do enjoy. The aftertaste has a very fresh take to it through my mouth. I do look the look of the bottle and the design, has an old school look to it and hope they stick with it for years to come.

If you are wondering what beer I would compare to, I'd say if you like Coors Light, give this a go, has a very similar after taste to it.

Would I get it again? Definitely

07-17-2013 01:16:46 | More by EzechielPregzt
Smokehole13

West Virginia

3.23/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer isn't quite the same since the boys in St. Louis took it over. Rolling Rock extra pale seems a bit watered down, perhaps that's why it's extra pale. Still it has a good light taste and if you get a fresh bottle you can almost feel the glass-lined tanks of old Latrobe, Pa. Progress is not always best my thirsty friend. Still maybe it's Nostalgia, but I find myself buying twelve pack of Rolling Rock on occasion and yes, enjoying it.

07-16-2013 21:28:50 | More by Smokehole13
DrunkenDounts

3.74/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I like it, not too and it goes down really smooth. I can't really find anything that I hate about this beer, I feel like its a weekend with the bros beer, it's so smooth that you could down a few and get a pretty good buzz. Over all, I wouldn't drink it all the time but I would get it every now and again.

07-13-2013 05:33:39 | More by DrunkenDounts
Will_Dixon

3.83/5  rDev +47.9%

This is a simple, great beer for sitting around a pool and relaxing. Best enjoyed from the bottle ice-cold, it is amazingly refreshing beer for what it is. it loses marks for its run-of-the-millnes, but it is a good, cheap beer. comparable to Budweiser or Miller, it's not the best, but is certinly is not the worst.

I love this beer, it is light and is meant for enjoyment. If you are looking to get smashed, go for something else. It is mild when compared to a lager or a pilsner, and it pales( heh pale) in comparison to other, more expensive pale ales. But it is called EXTRA pale ale for a reason.

For those of you who would like a good, refreshing beer without a huge price tag, go for the rolling rock. For those of you with a bit more beer money, I'd recommend Alexander Keith, very similar but a bit more refined.

07-06-2013 03:00:32 | More by Will_Dixon
Damian

2.33/5  rDev -10%

Drank from a 12 fl.oz. bottle purchased at Downtown Wine and Spirits, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

Crystal clear, pale golden yellow appearance. A one-finger, tight, cottony, bright white head topped the liquid, but it completely disappeared within seconds.

Crisp, dry and powdery, lager yeast notes dominated the aroma initially. Mild hops. Touch of sulfur and skunk. Overall, very nondescript. As the beer warmed, the nose turned more bland. Hints of corn were also detectible.

The flavor profile was rather boring as well, but it did have more going on than the nose. Grainy malts came through on the front end. Slightly lemony and tart in the center. Hints of sulfur and skunk on the finish. Touch of earthy, bittering hops as well.

Thin, light and fizzy, the mouthfeel was fairly standard for the style. Spritzy and seltzer-like.

Of all the American adjunct lagers I have tried, Rolling Rock is definitely one of the lightest and most bland. I can only image how flavorless the actual light version of this must be.

07-03-2013 14:15:12 | More by Damian
HereWithTheBeer

Georgia

3.38/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Alrighty, first review! So, what do I want to review here...uhh...*rummages through refridgerator*...Ah, Rolling Rock...my mom loves this beer. Does Mother knows best? Welp, let's find out. Bottoms up!
Poured from bottle into a standard US Pint.
A- A hazy golden hue, many bubbles throughout the glass. 1/2 inch off white head, a little sticky. Very bubbly and looks appealing. 3.5/5
S- Very earthy smell, a tad bit spicy and nutty. Pretty clean, but not too special. 2.75/5
T- Goes down clean, has a bit of barley and spices, but can taste the hops. A good blend. 3.5/5
M- Light, crisp and smooth. A very sharp taste still resounds. Can't complain with that! 3.75/5
O- Very easy to drink one or two of these for me. If you're in quick need of a cheap beer that is light and smooth, I recommend this. You get your money's worth. 3.5/5
Verdict-
Well, looks as if Mom knows her stuff! I often feel like this beer gets a bad rep from more experienced drinkers. It's very good, and one that I can consider a go-to beer for light and easy drinking.

07-01-2013 21:45:42 | More by HereWithTheBeer
longisland1983

2.4/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer is just decent

Old latrobe is a classic

This beer is good for all ages
From high school kids to beer enthusiests

Better smell then tastes. But a classic and hits the spot

The price is just right. Usually cheaper then other american classic lagers

But the beer does have a slight metallic taste

06-24-2013 23:51:31 | More by longisland1983
ValpoExpo

3.56/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

An under appreciated domestic beer that possesses a unique pale ale flavor that is unlike any of the other MacroBreweries. Best enjoyed in the bottle. I've always been grateful for Rolling Rock's painted label, very cool. With all the other bottles out there you can peel their brand right off the bottle, but not Rolling Rock. A very good beer for an always reasonable price.

06-13-2013 21:06:41 | More by ValpoExpo
wrightst

Maryland

1.55/5  rDev -40.2%

Pale, thin, watery. Just like I remember it.
If I was given this at a party, I'd pour it on a plant.
It pretty well lacks any complexity, malt or hop. Distinct hint of corn in the nose and taste. It is however beer, and no one can take that away! Also on the upside, I had this right after mowing the lawn, and it actually hit the spot.

05-21-2013 21:11:52 | More by wrightst
bnes09

2.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Light straw color, mostly see-through. Weak head, weak retention. Grainy aroma with hints of herbal hop. Mild malt flavor and lots of rice adjunct. Grassy, herbal hop and not quite enough to balance. Light bodied, coarse grainy texture, descent carbonation. Nothing special. No offensive flavors but nothing interesting either.

05-04-2013 05:14:20 | More by bnes09
Stinkypuss

2.19/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Rolling Rock

LOOK: Labeled as extra pale, and fits that description. Damn near clear.

SMELL: Grains, corn, straw, and coming off a bit medicinal.

TASTE: Tart grains, rice, wild yeast. This is like a gueze light. A touch of acidic hops with a garbage pail quality that somehow works here. This is my crap beer of choice when good cheap beer is not available. Cracker like malt, leafy, oily bitterness and a bit sour. Above all else, all of these flavors are very, very light. It is kind of sour, true beer aficionados may find this flavor profile comical, to say the least.

OVERALL: Kind of odd when you actually try to taste this beer. If you're not paying attention, it drinks like water. Under the microscope, it's kind of odd like mentioned earlier.

05-04-2013 00:40:23 | More by Stinkypuss
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.