Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
necrat

Rhode Island

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

This was terrible. Without going into much detail, I had several other Adjunct lagers in a little back yard beer tasting, and this was the worst.

There is just something about the flavor of this beer that's just... bad.

It poured a yellowish color with a huge foamy head.

There was no aroma to it at all.

It left a dry finish with a sourish bitter aftertaste that didn't last very long.

Overall I did not like this one.

08-30-2010 18:45:21 | More by necrat
cmq103

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

I'm not going to go through all of the A,S,T,M and D ratings, as this isn't the type of beer to deserve detailed comments like that. What I will say is this is a good, inexpensive football/ baseball session beer. A little more flavor than Miller Lite (not much, but better) if you are looking for a lower alcohol session beer to grab a 1/2 keg of and drink while watching sports at the basement bar.

08-28-2010 04:36:55 | More by cmq103
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

A: This beer is definitely took "extra pale" seriously, it hardly has a color at all... weak, quickly receding head. The only thing saving it from the lowest rating are the pretty carbonation bubbles.

S: Barely a hint of malts... is no smell a good thing... I'm a bit surprised I don't smell skunk with the green bottle and all.

T: Some light malts is all I really taste... not too bad considering it is an adjunct. Actually, much better than most I have tried...

M/D: Not much body here, actually tastes a little flat as well. It is drinkable if you are a frat boy, but if you spend much time on this site you would do well to avoid.

Rolling rock provides a very similar experience to drinking water.

08-23-2010 01:29:08 | More by EwaldEichstaett
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +40.2%

I was happy that this 6-pack of green bottles was not skunked, as is typical for clear or green glass. Rolling Rock certainly lives up to its claims, that being very pale, mellow, and light. It has a thin, white head and a very clear, and quite pale straw color. Carbonation is medium. The aroma is slight, with a faint grain smell. Taste is a mild version of the stereotypical American-style lager. It has a surprisingly pronounced hop bite in the after-taste. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Rolling Rock finishes crisp and refreshing. I noticed that the unusual and unappetizing under-taste that used to exist when the beer was produced by Latrobe Brewing, the original owners, has disappeared. Anheuser-Busch must have fixed whatever was causing the problem. Overall, I was surprised by Rolling Rock and found it to be much better than I anticipated. I recommend you give it a try, the can being the safer bet.

RJT

08-22-2010 15:51:16 | More by RonaldTheriot
Spikester

Oregon

3.24/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear pale yellow with a large white head. Lacings are modest. No aroma detected. Taste is light malts with just enough hops to call it a beer. Very strong carbonation. Mouthfeel is a bit like club soda. I have had this from a bottle and a can. It seems to make no difference to the taste. Might be a good beer for those who don't enjoy the taste of beer. I would have liked to try the Latrobe brewed version before they were closed down.

7/8/2011.
From a 12 ounce can. Brewed in St. Louis, Mo.

Same as previous review with this added comment. This is a superior tasting beer compared to the 16 ounce can and the bottle I sampled earlier. Clean and refreshing. I can even taste some hops on the back end. Nice summer beer. The 4.6 %abv. puts it on the lower end of the macro beer group. Kind of like a light Pils.

Update: from the 25 ounce can 03/27/2014;
Appearance bumped up. Poured into a Pilsner glass. Nice three finger head that stayed a good five minute and left some spots of lace. In spite of the extra pale notation this is a well balanced beer. I don't taste the corn there is a little in the smell. The rice shows up in the taste but just barely and the light hop bitterness at the back leaves a nice lightly dry finish. Overall a light and tasty beer when you need a thirst quencher.

08-19-2010 05:58:08 | More by Spikester
ColForbinBC

12oz bottle poured into a pint

A very light straw yellow with a thin yellowish slab of foam. No retention or lacing. The aroma is of toasted cereal grain, metal, and a light skunky smell. The flavor profile is lightly sweet with a very small amount of hops present. A touch of green apple. This is really devoid of all flavor outside of the residual toasted cereal sweetness. Light body and high carbonation. Not overly terrible.

08-12-2010 16:13:43 | More by ColForbinBC
VietPong

Connecticut

3.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Maybe the price boosted my opinion. This beer is great for the low price, even in bottles. It is priced equal as coors but I enjoy it more. The carbonation is mild, and it is a good pale ale. I have heard people compare it to sprite, just without the overly sweet aftertaste. Something that i can feel comfortable drinking when I am on a budget

08-12-2010 04:52:44 | More by VietPong
dball

2.53/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have not had a Rolling Rock in years and I am remembering why. Only thing is it is worth what I paid for it. I found it on sale for $0.46 per can. In comparison to other beers at that cost it is what you would expect. It is much lighter than I remembered and more flavorless than I remembered too. Next time I'm shopping for the cheapest available I'll get something different.

08-08-2010 18:59:51 | More by dball
RankRefugee88

2.98/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into glass.

A - Extremely light. Extra pale is the name of the beer, so, I guess it fits. Watery, yellowish color. White head that dissipates very quickly. Bubbles constantly rising from bottom to top.

S - Grainy, bitter, a bit skunky.

T - Not a lot to the taste, very average. Grains, slight bitterness (one would expect more from a cheap beer), a hint of citrus notes become present, which is something that makes it taste better than your average budweiser or coors, in my opinion. I had it with pizza, and it washed down the pizza nicely. It's good for bbq's too, just an overall beer that would go okay with any dish, especially in warm weather.

M - Light, foamy, bubbly and carbonated well. Leaves a crisp dry finish at the end.

D - Good drinkability for a cheap beer. I can drink a bunch of these and will never be bloated or full. Just a smooth beer, not much else to it.

It hurts me to rate this beer, it holds a special place in my heart. This was my go-to beer for any party or occasion I would attend as a kid. I've always preferred this beer over anything else when I would drink large quantities. My father used to get kegs of this all the time for family parties.

One thing I can say about this beer is although it may lack in alcohol content, it's one good quality is that even though it's a cheap and highly manufactured beer, it doesn't have a bad taste whatsoever. Great to drink a lot when you know you won't be driving home.

08-07-2010 00:44:41 | More by RankRefugee88
woodychandler

3.3/5  rDev +27.4%

The CANQuest (TM) has finally slowed to the point that I am willing to drink and review Rolling Rock in a CAN from the Latrobe Brewing Co. in St. Louis, MO. It saddens me to type that last as I was a die-hard Rock drinker for many, many years while in the Navy. We could not regularly get Iron City, so Rock was my beer of choice. I was heartbroken by the move out of Latrobe and until now, have not had one drop.

From the CAN: "To honor the tradition of this great brand, we quote from the original pledge of quality - 'From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe, we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment, as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you'." "33"

Yeah, same as it NEVER was! Bah. My pour netted me better than two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with average retention. Color was "Extra Pale". Ha! Actually, it was a light straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like any other AAL, lightly lager-sweet, overlain with cereal and other oddities. I have heard a rumor that the A-B boys did not like the original DMS-smelling recipe and "cleaned it up" for mass consumption. I believe it, because although I was not capable of quantifying it back then, I do know that Rock had a different smell than other beers. Taste was kind of malty for the style, like the opposite of damning with faint praise. Here, it has taste, which is wrong for the style. Alice Through the Looking Glass, anyone? I am not going to lie and say that it tasted nothing like what I remember because, frankly, I CANnot remember what it tasted like. Yes, I do. It tasted like home. Now, it tastes like corporate HQ. I miss having it as a Pennsylvania beer. It tasted like salty tears for a moment. Hmm. Finish was light, slightly dry, kind of refreshing. Actually just a bit better than average for the style. Not bad, but an absolute one-and-done for yours truly.

Many, many good memories associated with this beer. The summer of '95 when they had the Pony Cap promotion where if you collected all six Triple Crown winners, you got a trip to the Kentucky Derby. Gooch and I sat in his Burbank apartment one Saturday and polished off EVERY bottle from EVERY liquor store in a five-block radius. Har! We quickly realized that Whirlaway was the elusive cap. Sam's Saloon put it on tap for me and the rep let me pick a buncha stuff out of the catalog for free. It netted the bar a neon sign! Good times.

08-05-2010 20:52:36 | More by woodychandler
Careerinbeer

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev +45.9%

I enjoy this beer. Its very easy to drink, very smooth. Not the best ABV but still nice to sit down and drink. Not a beer to sip in my opinion. It tastes like a light beer. Smells alright not very hoppy. Its head isnt very strong. but an enjoyable beer.

07-30-2010 04:42:25 | More by Careerinbeer
thekanna

Maryland

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pale clear yellow, almost straw. About 1 finger of foamy head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Relatively undetectable, maybe a bit of sweet malts and skunkiness in there.

T/M: Adjunct malts which end in a slight malty sweetness, crisp and carbonated, very light... essentially seltzer water with smaller bubbles and a hint of beer.

D: Not very impressed; the sweet malty hints are all that's there to give it a bit of character.

07-28-2010 05:33:14 | More by thekanna
TheNightwatchman

3.1/5  rDev +19.7%

The beer pours a pale yellow color, with minimal head and little to no lacing. The head that pours dissipates quickly. The carbonation is mild to above average. The smell is of grains, mostly corn. As far as taste, this beer is better than you would expect from the appearance and smell. It does seem a little watery though. It has a mild flavor, with notes of corn in the middle. The mouthfeel is a bit carbonated, but smooth. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. I could drink this all day/night and not have an issue. It's one of my favorite cheap macro beers.

07-25-2010 06:10:51 | More by TheNightwatchman
AlCaponeJunior

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale yellow with obvious carbonation, a two finger head that quickly dissipates, and little lacing.

Smells grainy and not much else.

It has slightly lemony overtones and a plain, indiscreet grainy flavor that's not impressive but isn't exactly bad. Might be good for a day of fixin' the shed and cleanin' up dog-doo at your mom's house.

Feels watery and highly carbonated.

Drinks poorly. There are plenty more cheeper beers out there that are at least this drinkable. Could be worse tho, could be a bud product.

07-17-2010 22:25:10 | More by AlCaponeJunior
DrJay

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

12 oz green bottle. Crystal clear and pale gold with a frothy white cap. The head fell to a collar and skim of fine bubbles after a few minutes and left some streaky lacing on the glass. Grainy cereal aroma with a bit of lemony hops, quite clean with no skunk. Bitterness was light, but certainly present. Modest sweetness up front, slight hop flavour mid-palate (lemony and a bit sulfury), with a flash of metal in the finish. Light bodied with ample carbonation, crisp and a little more dry than necessary. Refreshing and clean. I really don't mind this at all.

07-12-2010 23:15:25 | More by DrJay
Mit

Ontario (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev +32.4%

a-pours a very pail straw colour with minimal head.

s-crisp notes followed by some slight bitterness and grain odours.

t-Crisp tasting, carbonated, mild hop bitterness...very mild.

m-def in keeping with the abv..tends to water up if left for a while.

d-Pretty drinkable...much more so than the standard macros. I really love this beer when I'm working outside on a hot day and I can take one out of the cooler.

07-09-2010 04:28:53 | More by Mit
GNR4life2

2.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this in bottles and cans. Most recent was in cans.

A: Yellow Water with foamy head

S: Smells like alcohol

T: Its very clean but leaves something to be desired but its okay for a cook out or lawn mower beer.

M: light and foamy.

D: Its okay. I buy it now and then but not something I'd recommend.

07-09-2010 02:57:16 | More by GNR4life2
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.01/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Ah, show me the memories of being a teenager on a rooftop in downtown Charleston, SC.

Very pale, bordering on waterlike appearance. BMC aroma.

Taste, very prickly, lots of carbonation and a little bit of Saaz hops I would guess, maybe Kent Golding. Very light, refreshing. Price has went up over the years, but remains a decent deal given everything else in its category.

07-08-2010 16:12:36 | More by Beerandraiderfan
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +71%

Love this beer. Started buying it before it was taken over. I can currently get this beer on tap at the Eagles 75 cents. Only downside is on tap it gives quite a headache. Bottle is great too. I would hope one day the green bottle will be gone. I would avoid the can at all costs.

07-08-2010 16:04:53 | More by yuenglingfan101
Bouleboubier

3.65/5  rDev +40.9%

Had a couple of these yesterday. First time having one in, oh, maybe a decade. They were offered and I accepted. The second of the 2 cans (the first being a 12 oz gulped straight from the can) was a 16 oz pounder. Poured into a clear plastic cup - not the best (or proper) glassware, but adequate enough to pass judgment.

Looked like your average adjunct lager. Grainy, light golden-yellow. The color of, say, a 3:1 or 4:1 mix of lemon and orange Gatorade. Sports at least an inch of cottony, snap-crackle-pop head.

Stinks, delicately, of grain and corn (aka animal feed). Features, surprisingly, a quite noticeable, but hardly potent, hop aroma.

In addition to the smells I mentioned carrying over pretty straight up into the flavor, a tiny sour tang and a vague fruitiness is present throughout. The fruitiness could be wishful thinking, however. Doesn't strike me as pilsner-like.

I was waiting for a nasty aftertaste, waiting for my tongue to feel like a snail's trail, etc. But, man, this actually went down well, not unlike cold spring water. Dare say it cleaned my mouth out pleasingly, probably due to generous carbonation.

If I'm judging to style here, and I'm trying my best to, the Rock ain't half bad. Certainly more tolerable than the ubiquitous BMC flagship offerings. Really, I'd only drink this in the future if offered or if thirsty. For the style: 3.5+. We'll see how my opinion may change on it once I have the "pleasure" of comparing it to other representatives of its kind.

07-06-2010 17:11:37 | More by Bouleboubier
LuthersMug

3.1/5  rDev +19.7%

A - Pale yellow with 1" light head. Small amounts of lacing throughout the beer.

S - Sweet and grainy aroma, which is fairly distinct after agitating the beer.

T - More taste than some light beers, but nothing spectacular.

M - Light to medium carbonation, decent.

D - Clean and crisp. This is a good beer for a hot day.

07-03-2010 20:30:15 | More by LuthersMug
jsprain1

2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

A- Pours a slight shade deeper than other adjunct lagers.
S- Smell is of corn and metal.
T- Taste is the same as the smell. There is a bit of... wet sock flavor in there as well.
M- Overcarbonated and thin, but not unreasonably so, style considered.
D- This lies somewhere above most AB- products and below PBR on list of cheap adjuncts for me. Could be worse, I suppose.

06-25-2010 06:32:16 | More by jsprain1
DuffManOhYeah

3.33/5  rDev +28.6%

I was a fan of Rolling Rock before I became serious about beer. So having one now is like returning home-- not as great as you thought it was when you were younger.

Everything is pretty much average about this beer, so I won't bother with the usual A, S, and so on. To be honest, it's not a terrible beer but nothing I would ever crave or buy nowadays. If I were stuck at a party with it to drink, I'd be okay though. It has a taste that is better than the likes of PBR or any of the light beers, but nothing at all spectacular.

06-21-2010 04:53:09 | More by DuffManOhYeah
bundy462

2.55/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Straw, very pale, no head.

S: Grainy, corn, vegetable smell, very slight hops if you smell hard enough.

T: Cooked vegetable mix and grain. Very slight bitterness in the finish.

M: Thin bodied, finishes dry.

O: Slightly below average, even for a macro brew.

06-20-2010 01:47:55 | More by bundy462
VolcomBrewer

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, so I picked some up for a little bit of grilling enjoyment with some friends.

A: Pours a straw yellow head with bubbly white head that quickly fades. Pretty standard for the style.

S: Smells faintly of grains...that's about all however.

T: Light hoppiness and maltiness along with a slight sweet taste. Finishes very crisp and clean. This beer is great for a hot day. Certainly has a better taste than other macros (ie: bud, coors, etc)

M: Medium carbonation. Clean and crisp. REFRESHING!

D: These are one of those beers you could have a session with if it's hot outside, like today was for sure. Highly recommended while working on the lawn, grilling with friends, or just want a beer while it's hot out. So crisp.

06-18-2010 23:55:44 | More by VolcomBrewer
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.