Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
thecarster1

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

a- bottle poured into a pint, 2 inch fluffy head, decent lacing, light straw color, nice looking.

s- very light smelling, little corn, slight grassy notes.

t- very mild adjunct taste, little bit of sweetness, no bitter taste, better than i remember.

m- decent mouthfeel, not overly carbonated.

d- goes down easy, very drinkable, more so than other adjuncts.

05-23-2009 22:42:48 | More by thecarster1
drunkboxer1

I had this beer and wondered if it would be like I remembered it. Actually I don't really remember it, so I have no idea. I just remember it being not all that great or bad. Pours a golden/yellow color with no head. Leaves no lacing. Smells faintly of grains and maybe grass. Tastes very clean. No sweetness or bitterness, just a lot of carbonation and some faint grain character. It drinks easy, but theres not much else to say about it.

05-22-2009 23:03:53 | More by drunkboxer1
CampusCrew

1.6/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I used to drink these when I was trying to break out of my BMC habits years ago. Its not good but better than BMC.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

05-19-2009 22:07:03 | More by CampusCrew
elniko

3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. No best by markings on bottle.

A: Pale coloring with surprisingly large head that did quickly dissipate. High carbonation apparent. Solid looking.

S: Malty, cereal tones coming from nose. A little sweet smelling.

T & M: I bought this on a whim and was glad I did. I hadn't drank Rolling Rock since my early 20's and I remember not really caring for it at that time. I now find this to be a solid lager with a slightly off balance tilt to the malt. There is still some crispness in the finish, mouthfeel on the thin side but the carbonation is just right.

D: Highly drinkable, if it is on sale I would buy again but with it being priced higher that Bud typically would pick it over Bud if I wanted something light and basic.

05-11-2009 22:08:54 | More by elniko
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.68/5  rDev +3.5%

From the 1 pint can 09098-HD82. Sampled on May 9, 2009. The pour is your basic American pale yellow with a ridiculous amount of puffy white head that bubbles and pops until it is all diminished. Constant carbonation. The aroma has that grassy but slightly hopped scent that comes with these kinds of brews. The mouthfeel is rather watered down. The taste is actually the best part of the beer with that faintly malted and hopped mix that allows you to pound these down one after another. When I drink this one I tend to drink from the can rather than the skunked green bottle.

05-09-2009 20:10:27 | More by puboflyons
Thorpe429

2.38/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pale golden color with a decent amount of white head and pretty good carbonation.

S: Slight maltiness without too much of the adjunct coming through.

T: Mostly adjuncts with some hints of sweetness--almost a little bit of apple cider comes through.

M: Light with okay amounts of carbonation. Sort of a strange finish to this one.

D: More refreshing than a lot of macros, so long as you drink it when it's quite cold. No not attempt to drink after it has warmed up.

05-02-2009 16:32:07 | More by Thorpe429
Duhast500

Rhode Island

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a very light yellow with a really thin white head. No lacing.

The smell is a muted corn flavor. Some grainy, earthy feel as well.

The taste is pretty much the same. More corn flavor with a little yeast flavor as well.

This beer was very light, was a bit too light for my taste but a nice crisp beer is always has a place. Would be really good to have in between heavier beers for is refreshing flavor.

05-01-2009 18:01:16 | More by Duhast500
jaytwo

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer looks like a straw yellow when you decide to pour it.

DONT ACTUALLY DO THAT

S: Smells like a standard corny beer no distinctiveness to it my any means.

T: the taste is ok i guess... i mean theres not too much flavor going on... but not too much bad flavor going on. I guess it beats your standard macro brew at taste by a slim margin.

m: The mouthfeel. It's almost like i have water im my mouth.

D: I can drink a billion of these things in a night.... doesnt make a good beer though.

04-30-2009 08:04:37 | More by jaytwo
lionking

From a 7 ounce Rolling Rock pony bottle.

RR poured a one finger head which quickly disipated. Light golden yellow color.

Grainy, husky smell. Corn flavor, crispy drink, sort of dry. Drinkability is fine. Macro type lager. Formerly (for now) a PA corn/macro type beer. I always found this to be a beer brought out strong feelings for or against this beer. Use to be a Western PA local beer but in other parts a premium beer which is an unlikely combo. Dont notice any real change from Latrobe to Bud.

04-27-2009 00:00:22 | More by lionking
bort11

Missouri

2.9/5  rDev +12%

Some one left some of these in the fridge after a party. Since I had to mow the lawn, I thought I would see how this does as a lawnmower beer.

12 oz bottle, poured into a tall shaker glass. Tall white head that is quick to disappear. No lacing, color is a clear straw yellow. For being "Extra Pale" I've seen paler. Very active carbonation.

Smell is very faint whiff of veggies. A little corn husk to dry things out. Taste is very mild and watered down. A little peppery kiss from the hops and yeast.

Light, crisp and mostly refreshing.

Blipped "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister

04-25-2009 20:27:06 | More by bort11
dude

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

All this RR talk on the forum this weekend made me crave some 'ol 33. We used to get kegs of this shiznit for $28 back in the day. It made for great party beer. Guess I outgrew the stuff and nowadays I don't even think about grabbin' a sixer. It pours pale yellow and clear. Spot on. Smell is light, with notes of DMS and cereal grains. It tastes worse than memory serves, but palates change over time. Sweet and grainy, no hops to speak of. Tastes like a near beer in all honesty. Mouthfeel is light, but a little dull. Its not zesty, or crisp, or anything really. I had one, saluted yesteryear and turned the page.

04-13-2009 03:34:07 | More by dude
Brenden

3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

This one is a light golden amber color. The head pours a bit thinly but lacing does actually cling a little.
There's lots of corn in the smell, along with something herbal, light grains and a very light malt.
The taste is a little thin and pretty weak. The taste is mostly what you pick up in the smell. Something a little metallic lingers, though. Hops does make itself known, however, albeit briefly.
The body is very light and carbonation is what you'd expect from seltzer. A little too active.
Well...I've had worse. Nothing exciting but I didn't hate it.

04-11-2009 23:28:57 | More by Brenden
Magpie14

2.15/5  rDev -17%

poured from a tall green pint can

A: florescent yellow with a plethora of silvery bubbles working the sides of the glass, a near clear in complexion. A typical thin, foamed, airy, bright white cap with not a blotch or streak left in the glass

S: grains of corn, wheat, and barley. Some metallic whiffs paired with a few blades of fresh cut grass and a sprinkling of sugar

T: taste exemplifies the nose with the various grains taking a dry, clean, and almost nutty feel on the tongue. Has a traditional adjunct/macro sourness that I am akin too.

M: refreshing at best, incredibly light on the tongue

D: I never know how to post some of these types of beer. I don't mind them, usually don't pass them up when offered, and yet I don't drink them on a consistent basis. Rolling Rock is, I guess, one of the few that I don't mind...maybe?

04-02-2009 00:52:40 | More by Magpie14
wiseguy142

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours very pale yellow with lots of carbonation and white foam. Aroma basically of nothing.. a little sweetness and no hop character. Taste is very thin. Really meant to be just a purely drinkable and refreshing beer. Nothing complicated or flawed about it. Probably one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. We bought a keg for only $60 for a BBQ and it was perfect for it. Very seltzer like carbonation and taste. If American adjunct lager = drinkable, clean tasting and refreshing then this is what I'm looking for. Otherwise it doesn't really remind me of being beer.

03-30-2009 03:07:58 | More by wiseguy142
morebeergood

2.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Went all old school on Saturday when we ordered a round of tallboy cans at a bar in Allston. This was my buddies' beer of choice at this place back in college. Ah, memories....
OK, this beer's not so bad. Not much smell. Fizzy and yellow in appearance. Very grapefruity taste. Not much flavor otherwise. Goes down pretty easy. Light and fairly smooth. For what it is, it's not horrible. Better than a Bud Light, in my mind.

03-22-2009 16:26:43 | More by morebeergood
VaTechHopHead

2.9/5  rDev +12%

This beer isn't all that bad. Granted it pours a boring yellow, has not head, and smells like grains. BUT the taste isn't too terrible...for a macro. It's smoother than BMC products and has a little maltier taste, not just corns and grains. Cheap enough to buy a ton at a time and good for just hanging around after you've had some quality micros.

03-13-2009 01:02:18 | More by VaTechHopHead
dsa7783

2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle sampled at a party...
Clear fluid, not much going on in the pour... Some carbonation... No head nor lacing...
Corn and grains on the nose...
Crisp, clean, water-light taste... Lacking flavor and substance...
Nothing special here...
Typical macro...
Not recommended...

03-13-2009 00:44:58 | More by dsa7783
BigMike

2.15/5  rDev -17%

This used to be one of my go to's as a youth.
The only thing positive i can say about it today is that the painted old school bottle is cool.
I do however put this above the other macros.

This pours a very light straw color with very little head.
Smells grainy and almost skunky with Corn and yeast.

This beer has 2 different flavors.
When ice cold, it's actually quite drinkable and refreshing on a summer day.
When the beer warms up the skunky flavor really comes through to the point its almost undrinkable.
This isn't the worst beer out there. But there are definitely a lot better.

03-09-2009 21:57:48 | More by BigMike
JesseP09

2.85/5  rDev +10%

This beer is pretty drinkable, but that is all it has going for it. There is simply nothing there that I can pinpoint and say, "You know, that is nice." It is completely underwhelming, with no nice finish and a boring appearance. I was excited when I bought this because of all I have heard about it, but I was just disappointed upon drinking it.

03-05-2009 15:36:19 | More by JesseP09
BacklitAvenger

2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

I am not really a fan of this type of beer, but I approached rolling rock with an open mind, having been recommended that it is one of the better beers of this type. I would agree; this beats bud or coors or miller or whatever else macrocrap, but RR cannot stand by itself when measured against real beers.

Appearance - Umm... well... it rather resembles weak urine. There's very little head. It is so pale that it is rather un-enticing.

Smell - Ugh, the smell of every nasty beer I ever consumed at every nasty frat party I ever attended. Certainly not hops or malt.

Taste - Weak, and not only is it weak but I cannot detect a trace of hops, and the 'malt' taste isn't really malty, probably because it's adjunct, not malt.

Mouthfeel - Crisp. It goes down smooth at least.

Drinkability - I'm sure if I wanted to 'get fucked up man!' I could down a bunch of these really fast and then puke and pass out. Considering I don't drink beer for that purpose, the drinkability is low because for me to want to drink more it must be sensually pleasing.

02-20-2009 22:20:58 | More by BacklitAvenger
bmwats

Louisiana

2.93/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint.

A: Light pale golden color. Pretty heavy carbonation pours into a 2 finger, bubbly, white head. Quickly settles leaving a smattering of bubbles. Carbonation continues to rise. A little lacing remains, but quickly retreats into the body of the brew.

S: A touch of malt, straw, not much else.

T: Light malty flavor with a sweet touch.

M: A little watery and syrupy.

D: Pretty decent. Light palette and non-offensive flavor.

Not really much in terms of atmosphere. A kind of generic flavor, and light palette. Serviceable quaff.

02-14-2009 02:58:02 | More by bmwats
callmescraps

2.33/5  rDev -10%

What the hell. Have a couple left from the Super Bowl. The lady friend from western PA insisted on a classic beer from out that way, and no Yuengling in Cali. I know there are tons of good PA beers, but we wanted a classic, blue collar one like RR. Before I rip this brew I want to add my compliments to the classic painted label. Looks awesome, as always.

Appearance - I can't even call it "straw". It's really, really pale. Frankly, we all know what it REALLY looks like. About an inch of stark white head. Not even as gold as some other macros.

Smell - Ugh. Funky, skunky grains. Smells like an old hay bale or something. No malt. Zero hops.

Taste - Pretty bland. It's got a little bread going on, with that yeasty taste. It almost seems like it's going to have some depth, and go all BBC Steel Rail on me. But then it just sort of fizzles and dies into nothingness. The aftertaste makes me feel like a kicked keg.

Mouthfeel - Very light. Crisp. You could do a lot worse.

Drinkability - About as good as any other completely bland macro. I'd much rather pound 12 than sip 2.

Better to look at than to actually put in your mouth.

02-07-2009 04:46:13 | More by callmescraps
MunchkinDrinker

Maryland

2.83/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Classic green bottle. Pours a dark gold with a fizzy soda-like head that goes away quickly. Continues to bubble.

S - Lightly floral and malty. Standard stuff.

T/M/D - Light malts and hops, doesn't taste like it smells. Is a little heavier and not as watery as expected, but still very light. Feels like a semi-flat soda. Generally though, goes down easily and is very drinkable.

A good standard to drink at a party. Alot better than alot of the other adjuncts in my opinion.

1st review.

02-04-2009 02:44:57 | More by MunchkinDrinker
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A- I love the green bottle with the old school painting on it with the copyright 1939 there as well...very cool! The beer inside prevents this area from receiving full marks though....with a very clean, clear straw color. The head was very thin and dissapeard rather quickly after pouring, leaving about a half ring around the liquid. It looks like there is heavy carbonation and there isn't any lacing on the side of the glass.

S- There is a predominantly grainy aroma to this beer...very light, like rice or corn was used. Maybe just a hint of sweet malt can be detected here, but nothing that I could really put my finger on. No bitter hop aromas either. Just a very neutral smell.

T- I actually think this tastes OK..not great but not offensive! The malts do come through here better and I can detect the grainy goodness in the flavor as well. Unfortunately, this doesn't have a well defined flavor to it and there isn't any hops on the finish either, but rather a some metallic notes.

M- This is fairly watery, but not as bad as say bud, coors light or Miller. It does have some mild texture to it that smooths out the otherwise heavy carbonation. This doesn't really remind me of anything other than another beer that's slightly better than the norm.

D- Full marks here! I wouldn't be upset at all if this was the choice of beer to enjoy for an evening with friends or as a thirst quencher. Good all purpose brew and a notch above the other American Macros that I've had.

02-01-2009 23:15:02 | More by ChrisCage
hophead247

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

What I consider a "crowd beer"...a beer that everyone would drink and not complain about...too much

I only drink this beer on certain Sundays when I go bowling with friends because its only 50 cents a pint for 4 hrs, and you really cant beat that

Now I get Rolling Rock because the other choices are Coors Light, MGD, Budweiser, and Fat Tire...and I don't care how YOU feel about it...FAT TIRE SUCKS!!!!

Skipping down to the taste, this beer is really easy to drink and its served super cold which is a plus with this beer...others not.

01-27-2009 05:47:18 | More by hophead247
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.