Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Overlord

*sigh*

Yellow. Big white foam head. Just the typical macro lager appearance. Graininess to it.

Smells like ... skunk and corn. No real hops, not much of anything. Taste is the same. Skunk and corn malt. Texture like carbonated water.

... not sure why this is considered a step up.

11-24-2008 03:59:26 | More by Overlord
ironmonkey285

1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Not a good beer. I agree with other comments. The beer is overpriced. It is not flavorful, and one would might be hard pressed to distinguish it between a keystone or beast. It is light, and out of a bottle. If those are a beer drinker's only qualifications, this is a good beer. Otherwise, its a definite pass.

11-19-2008 07:52:02 | More by ironmonkey285
selecter70

1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

Rolling Rock is the epitome of what I dislike about a lot of macros. To be fair, there are plenty I do enjoy in the proper context. Even though there is a supposed mystique to RR, it's bland, corny flavorless reality I find especially offensive, since it typically sells for a dollar of more per bottle than similar products. It has an aroma that smells faintly of industry & a taste that should only come out of frat keg.

11-17-2008 21:49:15 | More by selecter70
Mosstrooper

2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 19oz unbranded pilsner tulip glass.

Appearance: Yellow, with a white head. No surprises, but looks better than other macros I suppose

Smell: Smells like corn. That's okay I guess- I like corn.

Taste: Tastes like corn. I like corn.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. I like water- but not that much.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day, really, especially because I like corn. I would recommend this beer if fresh corn is out of season.

11-17-2008 21:23:51 | More by Mosstrooper
ocelot2500

Arizona

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a clear yellow with a head that dies down quickly.

Smells like pale malts, maybe some grain.

Tastes of pale malts followed by a grain taste. Nothing overwhelming or complex.

Mouthfeel is thin and very fizzy.

Fairly drinkable as a macro, would drink this over the big name stuff like Budweiser and Miller.

11-16-2008 20:32:19 | More by ocelot2500
Auroraboy

3.95/5  rDev +52.5%

I've enjoyed this stuff for years.
I've tried to follow the history of Rolling Rock-- from Latrobe, PA to being bought up by AB-- but it's just too depressing.

I love the painted bottles, and I like the beer. It's crisp, faintly apple-like in flavor, with an unfortunate, slightly cheap aftertaste that I'm afraid has gotten worse with the change to AB -- or is it just my imagination?

I don't want to put this brew down too much, because I do enjoy it, especially when it's on sale. Here in SoCal, we're lucky to find it for $8.99 a twelver, as I did yesterday. Along with PBR and High Life, I like to have a nice stock of this in the garage fridge as a base for when I can't afford the better beers-- it's light, refreshing, and has a bitchin' bottle. At least that hasn't changed.

11-10-2008 01:56:36 | More by Auroraboy
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.28/5  rDev -12%

Very yelllow body, clear. Lots of stark white head doesn't last long and doesn't do any lacing.

Smell has some corny(or rice) sweetness with a little bit of malt aroma. Some fruitiness.

This is a beer that I once drank on a very regular basis. I don't remember it tasting anything like this. Dominate flavor here is apple. Tart crabapple flavors. A little sweetness from rice is in there and a touch of malt. But the apple definitely dominates this one. Not necessarily negative (although it was for me), but definitely strange and surprising.

Mouthfeel is about as thin as can be, well carbonated though.

You certainly could down a lot of this stuff. That's drinkable right?

11-09-2008 14:56:33 | More by Hojaminbag
jjanega08

1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

A= looks like piss in a bottle... nothing impressive.
S= very average. smelled like beer but not good beer. basic domestic brew
T= Water... tastes just like water to me... I couldn't even taste the alcohol in it. It tastes like straight water
M= Just like water.
D= I could drink a whole bunch of it since it tastes like water but it wouldn't be enjoyable. It's very strange how much like water it tastes like... perfect for getting really really really drunk but that's not really what beer is about I guess.

11-03-2008 04:33:16 | More by jjanega08
Offa

This is a decent, standard US lager, about middle of the road for flavour and character but a little different from others.

It is somewhat pale straw yellow, it has a fairly big, but very airy, bubbly head. The head shrinks steadily but not too quickly, surprising considering how airy it is, and it leaves a very weak hint of lace.

The aroma is fairly decent basic pale lager, stronger and more pungent than many, with rather strong grain, corn husks, and a light hint of sulphur.

The taste is light and crisp with a lot of pungent grain/corn with hints of grass and apple. It's rather sweet with only a brief, faint hint of bitterness. It's pleasant and easy to drink. I've heard it's nasty when warm, but I didn't let it warm.

10-01-2008 23:49:44 | More by Offa
ncvbc

3.38/5  rDev +30.5%

Pretty standard appearance. Bright golden, crystal clear. Some lively carbonation and a thin fizzy head without much retention and minimal lacing. Smells pretty subtle, with little to nothing sticking out. Pretty clean, pale malts with a bit of grain. Tastes pretty nice for the style. Again, pale malts with some grain. A hint of caramel sweetness and light biscuit essence. Touch of earthy hops. Mouthfeel is light and pretty crisp. This beer goes down quite well with little fuss from me. Seems to get low scores as most Macros do around here...that doesn't keep me from being honest.

09-29-2008 00:00:37 | More by ncvbc
JRed

Pours a pale golden color with relatively no head, not the most attractive of beers. Smells of slight sweetness reminiscent of artificially flavored water. Light and bold taste of alcoholic water with stinging carbonation and somewhat dry finish with some veggie flavors. A weak beer with no personality to speak for it.

09-26-2008 23:51:27 | More by JRed
dacrza1

1.43/5  rDev -44.8%

Oldie but a goodie--here goes... unabashedly transparent--resembles table water... champagne-like pale yellow--as light as a beer could look? Head swiftly settles.... metallic, pungent pilsner malts... nothing of a "bouquet"... champagne-like scents here too? Fizzy, almost seltzer body and a gassy, heavy end at the throat; watery at the tongue... "extra pale" = a woody, old almost annoying skunk--not quite what I remember from college life! Once magical, quaint and familiar, Rolling Rock just pales in comparison to almost anything else I now drink... oddly reminiscent of Keystone Light, ending with a grapey sweetness and a woody corrugation down the throat... lamentably, not much good to say....

09-20-2008 03:05:05 | More by dacrza1
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.08/5  rDev +18.9%

Bought a 12 pack for $7.99.

I've had so many bottles of Rolling Rock in my life I can't even begin to imagine. Besides having a bad ass painted bottle, it is one of the most drinkable beers in my opinion. Sure it may be lacking on taste or appearance, but damn is it smooth and drinkable. Much better than a Coors/Bud for the same price.. so go for this one.

09-09-2008 23:50:27 | More by oriolesfan4
thekevlarkid

Maryland

2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

The original green bottle from the Latrobe team in Missouri. Out of the bottle this one was a clear, pale yellow with a white head of froth about a finger thick. Fizzed out quickly and left little lacing. Aromas of dry grains, some light hops and a bit of green apple sweetness. Better than I remembered. Sadly, the flavors were what I recalled, corn and dry grains, weak pale malts and a funkiness I don't care for. Light bodied and fizzy mouthfeel. Better than some of the other American macro beers but that really isn't saying much.

09-09-2008 19:47:33 | More by thekevlarkid
flaminghomer

Indiana

2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

It is what it is. Transparent, zero lacing and head retention. So not too much to look at and nothing to right home about. It smells kinda like beer. There are several macro american lagers that offer a unique flavor, this one's unique flavor is a lingering after taste that tastes not so much like beer but more like unfiltered pond water. With all that said, I'm sure it is beer and it does get the job done in certain situations. I buy it now and again because I like the look of the bottles. It seems to say to me "I'm just an old fashioned beer looking for some clean wholsome fun" When I'm in the same mood, it gets the job done. Cheers!

09-02-2008 05:01:57 | More by flaminghomer
changeup45

Considering it's price and that it's made by AB it could be a lot worse. Golden color, light hops, grainy, grassy flavor, pretty watered down but not foul tasting. A good one for mowing the lawn or sluggin' on the golf course. Nothing more than that.

08-27-2008 02:55:31 | More by changeup45
kinger

2.38/5  rDev -8.1%

I was on a bit of a rolling rock kick back in college. Cheap and tasted better than most common lagers. Grabbed a cold single on my way out of the store, got home and here we are. I like the funkiness associated with this beer. Faint stale aroma, pale golden yellow with so-so head and a touch of lacing. Smooth and quenching with that odd taste. So long old friend.

08-26-2008 12:16:56 | More by kinger
MrHungryMonkey

3.28/5  rDev +26.6%

Grainy/toasty and dry boasting crisp apple sweetness and a general fruit aroma. Smells good.

Pours a medium-pale to pale yellow, crystal clear, moderate head with poor retention.

Lightly malty, lightly sweet, pretty tasty. A little toast, hint of grain. Apple-like fruit with a touch of honey. Only a mild cooked vegetable aftertaste, a sensation typical of cheap beer that often offends my palate.

A pleasant surprise! I was fully expecting Rolling Rock to be unpalatable like a Michelob Ultra or something.

08-13-2008 01:18:42 | More by MrHungryMonkey
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

This was passed out at the hotel i stayed at in Disneyland,free beer and snacks for 2 hr's,thank god it was free,cause there's nothing here to my liking,pale clear yellow with lots of bubbles,thin white head that was gone in a blink of an eye and lacing,what lacing.Nose was of corn and grains,mild skunk,taste was exactly the same as nose with some sour mash and little bitterness,went down like some flavored water,very week,nothing here,i guess you can't complain when it's free.

08-09-2008 03:48:06 | More by GrimmReaper
TwinSox33

New Hampshire

Served literally "ice cold", out of my freezer before the point of slushiness. To avoid the nastyness the Bros warned of when warm.

I first tried this at the age of 17 in a can, and thought it tasted like chemically shite..now to retaste it, i actually like beer now..

A: Clear yellow macro, whispy lacing.

S: Light grain, whiff of corny dextrin sweetness.

T: High refreshing carbonation, light dextrin sweetness, a little sour or chemically-medicinal tasting hops, follwed by a refreshing dry finish. Kind of has a residual sweetness at the end, with a tad of hop bitterness. I like it better than Bud,Miller, or Coors.

It's a strange pallette to knock down, it's flavours are bizarre, medicinal, and yet refreshing. I don't quite get it. Usually I would not enjoy something like this, but now I actually like this beer.whatever I guess...

07-30-2008 02:56:19 | More by TwinSox33
Minkybut

3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

I poured this beer into my glass at 40 degrees. Pale ale it certainly is. Almost clear in fact. The bber does not hold a head long at all.
However taste was really clean and crisp. The beer is a great summertime brew and though it is certainly nothing special, if it taste good drink it. I will buy again as long as I don't get skunked which I have in years past from this label

07-26-2008 17:47:06 | More by Minkybut
Halcyondays

1.95/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a pale yellow, with a fizzy, soapy white head, poor retention, no lacing.

S: Very light, some malt, cereal.

T: Light malt, on the sweet side, faint hint of hops, flavour is rather vapid.

M: Fizzy, light-bodied, good heft for the style.

D: Not horrible, but just not a beer I had fun drinking, pass.

07-24-2008 03:47:46 | More by Halcyondays
mynie

Indiana

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

on tap at the Bud brewery. I figure the best way to review the new, post-Latrobe incarnation of RR is to have it as fresh as you can get it. This also just happens to be the first time I've bothered to try any since they got bought out.

Pours weak and dull. I didn't pay nothing for it so I'm not going to ask the guy to put a head on it. Still... it's tepid.

Don't smell nothing like I remember it, but I never remember having on tap before so I guess you got to take that into consideration. I remember lots and lots of veggies like canned corn and peas. Here I got rice and various adjuncts that taste like metal. A little hay.

Tastes very much like it smells. Heavy on the not-too-pleasant adjunct with lots grain in there. The metal is toned down considerably, which I'm glad for since this beer was literally kegged earlier today.

Goes down smooth enough but it's pretty meh.

06-29-2008 02:43:33 | More by mynie
gpogo

2.9/5  rDev +12%

A- Brilliantly clear light yellow with decent sized white head that dissipates into a small layer.

A- Grainy malt aroma.

T- Very bland taste. Not much malt, nor much hop flavor. Good for the "style" I suppose? Left a weird phenolic aftertaste.

M- It's like drinking slightly bubbly water. Very light body with low to medium carbonation.

D- It's odd, but this may be one of the better american macro lagers out there. As odd as the aftertaste is I sortof like it. The green bottle worried me, but with how low of hop flavor is in this I doubt there is much worry of skunking.

06-25-2008 01:07:10 | More by gpogo
Procrastinator

12 oz. green bottle from totally enclosed 12-pack, dated 29Mar08 on the carton. I've had the "Rock" dozens of times over the years, so it's nothing new. In fact, when my local dropped the price to $6.99 for the 12-pack, I bought three. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: typical American macro color of pale yellow body with a soapy, fizzy white small head, which quickly dies and leaves a dollop at the surface. Absolutely leaves no lacing, but head returns upon swirl of the glass. Lots of carbonation in a very clean, clear looking beer.

Smell: not much in the nose but very mild grain, sweet corn, but no hops. Nothing really offensive either.

Taste: mildly sweet grains, slight bitterness from hops along with a slightly sour finish.

Mouthfeel: dryness on the tongue with lively carbonation. Body is definitely on the light side
with a watery texture.

Drinkability: drink this one cold on a hot summer afternoon. A traditional "lawnmower" beer with lighter flavors, decent mouthfeel and low alcohol.
Refreshing, light and inexpensive.

06-18-2008 18:26:41 | More by Procrastinator
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.