Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -13.6%

i remember being surprised to see the retro styled cans Rolling Rock released this summer (or it wasn't until summer that i noticed them in the store). the price was right so i had to bite. poured the 12 oz can into a pint glass...

pale yellow color with lots of tiny bubbles and a thin white head. definitely smells of wet corn. the taste is decidedly sweet, with noticeable carbonation and little aftertaste or complexity. no surprises there. not a bad beer to drink after a mouthful of kimchi i must say, but i also remember thoroughly enjoying coors lite and hite with korean cuisine.

i have just decided i prefer the 'rock from their classic painted green bottle. the aromas detract from what i would consider an above average american macro when consumed from the bottle. i admit that i have a bias towards painted labels and lighter colored glass when i'm drinking this type of beer. don't know why, but so it goes. will i buy the $6 Rolling Rock 12'er of cans again? i'll take it over keystone, pbr, or the like.

1.94/5  rDev -24.8%

Wretched beer. Too thin-bodied, pretty much tasteless, without any aroma. Looks okay - pale, clear, big white head. Other than that, it doesn't offer much to redeem itself. A little doughy to taste, slightly soapy.

Sorry, but this one is just not worth the effort.

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

A - Pours a very pale straw colour, finger of head with little retention or lacing. Reminiscent of champagne with all the body carbonation.

S - Grassy and leafy notes dominate. An odd citronella sweetness is also detectable.

T - Very mild on the palette with the grassy notes coming across alongside some sweet corn and again with a bit of citronella.

M - The body carbonation was a bit misleading because it comes across a bit thin, though finishes nicely with a touch of dryness.

O - Easy drinking but down get your hopes up. I'd chalk it up as another average macro produced light lager.

2.93/5  rDev +13.6%

I think every beer drinker should have a favorite cheap beer. For me, this is it. It pours a very fizzy head and has a very clear appearance. Smells slightly sweet and corny. Tastes much the same. No bitter aftertaste. Goes down smooth. Very easy to chug these all day long.

2.71/5  rDev +5%

Last summer I put back a bunch of these because the college pub sold pints of this and PBR for only $1. Having had a lot of PBR in my days prior and not a ton of Rolling Rock, I went with this one for those couple months and had plenty of good times with my friends.

It's an easily drinkable, though obviously unsophisticated beer. You buy this because it's cheap, but you buy it over Coors because it isn't gross.

2.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Wanting to try something I hadn't tried in a long time so I picked up a 12 pack of this before heading to a party. Even in high school I couldn't much stand Bud Light and only tolerated Miller Lite so Rolling Rock was my go to.

Very light yellow in color with a nice foamy head. Lot's of lacing for a pale lager, foam still coating the empty glass long afterwards. Just a slight bit too much corn taste for my liking, but overall this is a very tasty beer for the price (light years better than the macro adjuncts). This beer always goes down extremely smooth for me so whenever I drink one I end up drinking 8 or 9. I'll probably be revisiting this one a good bit in the near future.

2.93/5  rDev +13.6%

A: Extremely light yellow--this is one of the lightest colored beers I have seen ;but still somewhat decent looking: huge foamy, sudsy white head and tons of bubbles; lacing is actually not bad

S: Faintly sour grains; not a ton here just grains and perhaps corn aromas with a slight metallic scent

T: Actually not horrendous; decent grainy flavors with some subtle citrus hops; the beer is a tad watery and fades a touch but it works out okay in the end

F: Thin but not overly carbonated as some of this style are; enough beer sticks to the mouth to make this work

O: Not a horrible "big guy" lager; this is easy to drink and doesn't offend--a decent hot weather beer

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A 20oz pint at Original Joe's Varsity, whose claim to local fame is that they don't have any BMC on tap...mmm'k.

This beer appears a clear pale golden straw colour, with a thin cap of fizzy, soapy off-white head, which readily wisps away, leaving very little in the way of lace.

It smells of understated grainy pale malt, semi-sweet corn and rice, a further indistinct sweetness, a bit of burnt plastic, and a weak earthy, weedy hop dryness. The taste is tame sweet rice meal, a touch of sourdough tanginess, mild acetone, and very soft weedy hops.

The carbonation is just past the too-strong-not-to-note cutoff, the body somewhat prickly, medium-light in weight, and admittedly smooth. It finishes off-dry, fairly clean, with some faint pithy breadiness and rising acrid mustiness.

Plain is as plain does - this doesn't overtly offend nor does it inspire in the least. Another boring AB-Inbev shell company lager is not what we need around here, especially at joints that profess to damned well know better.

2.78/5  rDev +7.8%

Very light body with a very pale and clear yellow appearance. Very small head that quickly fades. Smells and tastes corn with very small hints of sweet flavors, a bit of a fizzy/metallic feel in the mouth. Medium carbonation present. Best if served ice cold.

Not the best around but a decent choice for the price.

3.74/5  rDev +45%

12oz bottle into DFH shaped pint glass. Reviewed to style.

A: For the style, this beer looks excellent. It pours a light golden yellow with a very nice three fingers of bright egg-shell white head that faded into a thick bubbly film and left a ton of sticky lacing down the glass. The head is neither fizzy nor short-lived, and in fact has great retention. Impressive.
S: Light notes of adjunct grains and whatnot. It’s fairly sweet smelling but there’s not much there.
T: Really sweet with flavors of syrupy sweetener and dry grains and adjuncts. I also get weird fruit flavors like grape jelly or some kind of fruity pancake syrup. There is even a hint of banana in the finish, and I get biscuits in the aftertaste.
M: Ultra-light body with a very slick mouthfeel like watered down syrup. Carbonation is lively and active. Overall pretty crisp and refreshing in my mouth.
O: Tastes like a light macro that someone added a splash of syrup-sweetener to. Despite this, it is definitely one of the best beers I’ve encountered for the style, and I would choose this over the ‘big three’ any day. It definitely poured like a real beer and looks great in the glass.

2.85/5  rDev +10.5%

pours a clear, pale yellow with a 1/4" of head that quickly fades. Smells of grains but little else. Tastes or grains and corn. There is little if anything in the way of hops here. Mouthfeel is light, crisp, and clean.

Very drinkable but there's little in the way of flavor. I used to love this beer in college, but something changed in my opinion when AB took over.

3.04/5  rDev +17.8%

Tall can into a pint glass.

Not a lot of head, little lacing, very clear light golden colour, constant carbonation.

Slight corn smell, a bit metallic, not a strong smell at all.

Tastes like a light beer, at 4.6%, It's a bit stronger than that, but still has the watery quality of most mass produced 4% beers. That said, it's not at all offensive and actually quite easy to drink.

This is a decent summer beer in that it's easy to drink and when it's cold, it tasted pretty good. Nothing spectacular or above average about it and I won't go out of my way to find it, but I wouldn't say I won't give it another shot.

2.22/5  rDev -14%

nothing that special that's for sure. I liked how it was local for me but since they moved out of the state the beer got alittle worse. The water source used to make the beer. It is relatively cheap, could be while a lot of people are attracted to it, but the taste isn't too pure to me.

2.72/5  rDev +5.4%

A - pale yellow with little head and no retention - patchy lacing - good clarity

S - pale malt - stale biscuit - floral

T - pale malt - sweet - biscuit - chemical - floral notes

M - light body - hint of bitterness - some carbonation

O - not my style and not worth trying again

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap last night

A-pale yellow, thin head that's kind of soapy looking, after a couple sips it doesn't exist. Activity is minimal

S-Corn and metal, light skunk, touch of lemon

T-super watery and metally, crispy finish very very clean on the palate

M-very thin and dry

O- meh...nothing to report, cheap beer goes down easy but nothing special at all

2.63/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale straw colour topped with a finger of fizzy white head that is gone quite quickly, leaving only some patchy lacing. Doesn't look heavily carbonated, at least visually. Smells the same as most adjunct lagers; light pale malts and corn, nothing interesting.

The taste is pretty much the same - diluted light malts and corn, certainly no hops to speak of. Clean finish with no aftertaste good or bad. Light-bodied and watery, with carbonation on the low side for the style. This is boring but it's drinkable and fairly crisp-tasting.

Nothing about this beer is notable, but everything about this beer is watery and uninteresting, which I guess is probably what the 'extra pale' means. Overall it kind of just makes me want to say 'meh'. It reminds me of a light beer; drinkable but not very satisfying. Seriously, if this were categorized as a light beer, it would probably get a higher score from me. I will probably not pick this up again.

[Updated Nov. 19 2013]

Can't believe I'm returning to this one. It's even worse than I remember, and I have no idea how this garbage is surviving in the Canadian market at this price point (e.g. Labatt Blue, which sucks slightly less than this, is about 40 to 50 cents cheaper per tallboy can). There are very few adjunct lagers I would not take over Rolling Rock. Overpriced fizzy corn water; skip it.

Final Grade: 2.63, a C-.

2.29/5  rDev -11.2%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - JAN 18, 2008

I had a choice between this and Coors, and this looked classier so I gave it a shot. I should have gone for the Coors. Not good at all, very watery and as I recall even slightly bitter. Very clear, light and fizzy. Smells terrible and the aftertaste isn’t much better.

2.97/5  rDev +15.1%

Pale yellow, thin head.

Not much smell, vague grain and corn, but amazingly, no skunky note.

Plain taste, slight corn note, um, I'm trying to find other real flavors but it's really just this side of water. I've actually had tapwater from certain places with stronger flavor than this. That said, the flavor is not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel crisp, medium carbonation.

I have to say I was actually quite surprised. This may be the best beer in a green bottle I've had. Probably because all the other beers I've had in a green bottle taste like rotten lettuce. But even so, I'd take this over plenty of other macros. Simple, unoffensive, clean notes if finished while cold.

2.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Once was one of the best beers brewed in Pennsylvania a fantastic extra pale ale until it got bought out by Anheuser-Busch. Now it tastes different certainly not good. But it pours a very light golden yellow with a bright white head. Not the best anymore.

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a can into a Stone pint glass, reading "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies". If this bear were fizzier or yellower, I would be a wussy.

Pours with a frothy and suddenly dissipating head on top of an insipid light yellow beverage. On the nose, it is smells a bit like the light Caro corn syrup my mom used to make confections with. No hops to speak of on the nose, no metallic odor from the can. The taste is relative clean, a bit sweet, with an aftertaste of less-toasty Kellogg's corn flakes. It has a bit of that funkiness that adjunct lagers usually have. The mouthfeel is thin without a ton of carbonation.

Overall, this is not a horrible beer, but it is not good. I might have enjoyed this one when I was 16. If I am going to drink cheap piss beer, I am going to drink PBR, Oly, Hamm's, or Rainier. In my mind, all are much better.

1.83/5  rDev -29.1%

Got a keg in the kegerator, so why the hell not?

A: PALE straw color, big fluffy head that dissipates like soda. Tiny whispers of lacing, but not much.

S: Has that light beer corn and light malt scent to it. Slight skunky aroma.

T: What taste?... nah, well it almost has no flavor; some light malt and skunky corn flavor.

M: Well at least it's refreshing, as much as seltzer water is. Crisp, fizzy, highly carbonated.

O: It's not the worst macro you can buy, but I wish I had saved the $15 and gotten a keg of keystone for my party over this. It's been a chore to finish off this keg before getting a decent one back in the ole kegerator.

4.6/5  rDev +78.3%

This is my go to beer so to speak. If I can't make up my mind this is what I buy. The taste is very mild and is probably the smoothest beer I've ever had.

It pours a light gold color, with little head. Definitely has a sweet corn taste. One of the best light beers I've ever had.

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%

Can to 1/2 pint nonic pint glass.

A: Pours about 2 1/2 fingers of pure white foamy head off a very aggressive pour. Only a few streams of co2 bubbles, very dead looking. Super clear and a very, very pale straw gold.

S: Not much to this except a very one dimensional grain/corn aroma. No hops at all.

T: The flavor actually isn't that bad for the style. Lots of corny/grainy goodness I suppose.

M: Very light with a dry finish.

O: This is a straight up AAL. This is an alright beer that would probably taste its best after mowing or when out disc golfing when no craft in cans are at my disposal. Rating this to style its my 2nd choice of AALs next to PBR.

1.61/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

473ml can
4.5% ABV
I tried this beer on May 10, 2011 after purchasing from one of my local LCBO outlels. The beer poured a translucent light gold colour with a this bubbly head that dissipated into nothing within a minute. The aroma is grain, metal, and corn. The mouthfeel is weak bodied, almost watery with mild carbonation. The flavour is weak grainy malt, with an acidic aftertaste. A good working from home beer.

1.66/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Hugely fizzy and extremely light color. Looks like piss. White head fizzles away faster than some sodas and leaves little to no lasing.

S: The smell is bad. Cheap malt sweetness with corn. It smells kind of musty or dirty. Its off-putting. At least it smells somewhat crisp and refreshing.

T: I think this beer is rated too high. I've had my fair share of cheap beers and this is only memorable because of the uniquely bad flavor. It is really sweet, but it tastes fake sweet, corn sweet. Its a little toasty, but in a bad way. When I want to drink a cheap-o lager I want it to be crisp, refreshing, and the less taste the better (because what is there usually sucks). This has a distinctively bad taste.

M: It's way too carbonated at first, but it still has a super light mouthfeel.

This review really shouldn't be this long. I just want to say that I can't believe this beer even gets a C-, it should be one of the last cheap beers you buy.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.