Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A- I love the green bottle with the old school painting on it with the copyright 1939 there as well...very cool! The beer inside prevents this area from receiving full marks though....with a very clean, clear straw color. The head was very thin and dissapeard rather quickly after pouring, leaving about a half ring around the liquid. It looks like there is heavy carbonation and there isn't any lacing on the side of the glass.

S- There is a predominantly grainy aroma to this beer...very light, like rice or corn was used. Maybe just a hint of sweet malt can be detected here, but nothing that I could really put my finger on. No bitter hop aromas either. Just a very neutral smell.

T- I actually think this tastes OK..not great but not offensive! The malts do come through here better and I can detect the grainy goodness in the flavor as well. Unfortunately, this doesn't have a well defined flavor to it and there isn't any hops on the finish either, but rather a some metallic notes.

M- This is fairly watery, but not as bad as say bud, coors light or Miller. It does have some mild texture to it that smooths out the otherwise heavy carbonation. This doesn't really remind me of anything other than another beer that's slightly better than the norm.

D- Full marks here! I wouldn't be upset at all if this was the choice of beer to enjoy for an evening with friends or as a thirst quencher. Good all purpose brew and a notch above the other American Macros that I've had.

ChrisCage, Feb 01, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

What I consider a "crowd beer"...a beer that everyone would drink and not complain about...too much

I only drink this beer on certain Sundays when I go bowling with friends because its only 50 cents a pint for 4 hrs, and you really cant beat that

Now I get Rolling Rock because the other choices are Coors Light, MGD, Budweiser, and Fat Tire...and I don't care how YOU feel about it...FAT TIRE SUCKS!!!!

Skipping down to the taste, this beer is really easy to drink and its served super cold which is a plus with this beer...others not.

hophead247, Jan 27, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -2.3%

I poured the green bottle contents into the clear mug. The head came up and settled to about a half-inch and it was nice and thick but dissipated rather quickly, in about a minute. The liquid was a very yellow color with a moderate amount of slow rising mini-bubbles. It was like watching an upside down snowfall. There was hardly any smell at the rim of the glass and I knew right then this wasn't a pale ale or anything like that. I wondered just how good can this cheap beer be? Let's try it.

Hmm... it's a little odd. Not a bad odd nor a good odd. It just tasted different. The beer is light and had a pleasant feel in the mouth with just a tinge of flavor going down. But then it was gone! Just like that. It was as if I hadn't tasted any beer at all. It's so hard for me to describe in text this taste sensation. In the middle part of the sip, the flavor tantalized the tongue, but as the beer went down, there was a definite lack of what was there before. Almost like a bait and switch. My Old Milwaukee Light housebeer has more flavor than this.

Man, what a disappointment. Each sip started out tasting like it's going to be good and then Blap! There's nothing in the end. It's not bad, it's not good, it's just nothing. Like hot dog water. It's neither soup nor hot dog. That's it. Rolling Rock is the hot dog water of beer. It's neither water nor beer. It's in between.

If offered a Rock at a party or festive gathering, I'd certainly not turn it down and would drink one of these over a Bud Light if that was all there was. But later, when the host wasn't looking, I'd surreptitiously steal a glimpse of the fridge contents to see what, if any other choices there might be. You may want to try one. Go ahead; it's certainly not bad. Just don't expect a whole helluva lot. It's cold, yellow, foamy and bubbly so it's beer. However you want to spin that

FCGrabo, Jan 24, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The appearance is like any other American Adjunct Lager: a clear straw colour. The thin white head is gone very quickly and leaves little to no lacing.

The smell is mostly of corn with quite a bit of skunky flavour. The taste is much of the same, except there is some grainy taste with the corn.

The mouthfeel is thin and watery with high carbonation, which is suitable for the style. Drinkability would be higher if not for a sickeningly sweet taste at the finish.

Now that I've tasted Rolling Rock, I hope never to do so again. It's not so bad that it's undrinkable, but I would rather drink Bud for its cheaper price.

CityBoy1986, Jan 04, 2009

Notes Oct 10 08
A very light straw color pour,with a thin white head that quickly fades to nothing. The aroma is a light grain smell with a hint of citrus and noticeable sweetness. Nothing special, but not offensive. The taste is light, crisp, and refreshing. A touch of sweetness and a hint bitterness is all you get, but it finshes very clean. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing as well.Easy to drink several at one sitting.

WakeandBake, Dec 31, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz green bottle

A - Appears to be a light lager, with its light golden color. Extra points for the painted bottle, one of my favorites.

S - Corn

T - Very crisp and refreshing. Corny taste (interpret that how you want to)

M - Medium carbonation. Thin and watery

D - Very drinkable. Way too easy to throw back one (or five) too many in a single sitting. Thats not a bad thing, however.

One of my go to beer. This is one of the back up plans when the liquor store doesn't have a particular brew or the bar isn't serving my preference.

Mistofminn, Dec 10, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -2.3%

This one pours a light golden color and smells of faint sweet malt. The taste is bit watered down but not nearly as offensive as other American macro lagers. I used to drink this a lot when I was younger but now it seems only good for washing down food as an alternative to soda or water.

stone3187, Dec 09, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +51.7%

This beer pours a clear straw color. The head is an inch and a half in height, and recedes rather slowly into good lacing for this style. The aroma is of malty sweetness, with hints of caramel and graininess. The taste is very bold for an adjunct lager. There is a nice mix of graininess and caramel. The mouthfeel is a little fuller than light bodied, with appropriately high carbonation. Overall, this is a very good American Adjunct Lager that I could happily drink again.

KarlHungus, Dec 06, 2008
1.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Clear yellow with a frothy white head. This beer always smells skunked. Corn, sweat, and skunky river water. They must be importing the disgusting water from Latrobe, PA. Corny, sugar water, and rice in the taste. Later. And no, I don't care what "33" means.

magictrokini, Dec 04, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -23.6%

This is an old standard, come to think of it all of my "old" standard's are in a green bottle!!

This one looks thin and light, crisp for sure with a whispy, light-white head fizzles and ies pretty fast.

Ah,...the classic aroma of SKUNK. The light has shined through!!! Silly green bottles. I can smell, funky, skunked hops, and a thin, sweet malt with hay and corn in the back ground.

The flavor has a thin, light malty feel, semi-sweet, the flavor is a bit less skunky-funky than the aroma but the finish is long, bitter and chemy, semi-sour. Unclean!!!!

The feel, like the rest of it, is thin, light crispy and somehow dull. Stay with us!!

i'm not really sure how it was soo easy to drink these back in "the day".

GratefulBeerGuy, Dec 02, 2008

*sigh*

Yellow. Big white foam head. Just the typical macro lager appearance. Graininess to it.

Smells like ... skunk and corn. No real hops, not much of anything. Taste is the same. Skunk and corn malt. Texture like carbonated water.

... not sure why this is considered a step up.

Overlord, Nov 24, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -32.4%

Not a good beer. I agree with other comments. The beer is overpriced. It is not flavorful, and one would might be hard pressed to distinguish it between a keystone or beast. It is light, and out of a bottle. If those are a beer drinker's only qualifications, this is a good beer. Otherwise, its a definite pass.

ironmonkey285, Nov 19, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

Rolling Rock is the epitome of what I dislike about a lot of macros. To be fair, there are plenty I do enjoy in the proper context. Even though there is a supposed mystique to RR, it's bland, corny flavorless reality I find especially offensive, since it typically sells for a dollar of more per bottle than similar products. It has an aroma that smells faintly of industry & a taste that should only come out of frat keg.

selecter70, Nov 17, 2008
2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 19oz unbranded pilsner tulip glass.

Appearance: Yellow, with a white head. No surprises, but looks better than other macros I suppose

Smell: Smells like corn. That's okay I guess- I like corn.

Taste: Tastes like corn. I like corn.

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery. I like water- but not that much.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day, really, especially because I like corn. I would recommend this beer if fresh corn is out of season.

Mosstrooper, Nov 17, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a clear yellow with a head that dies down quickly.

Smells like pale malts, maybe some grain.

Tastes of pale malts followed by a grain taste. Nothing overwhelming or complex.

Mouthfeel is thin and very fizzy.

Fairly drinkable as a macro, would drink this over the big name stuff like Budweiser and Miller.

ocelot2500, Nov 16, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +52.5%

I've enjoyed this stuff for years.
I've tried to follow the history of Rolling Rock-- from Latrobe, PA to being bought up by AB-- but it's just too depressing.

I love the painted bottles, and I like the beer. It's crisp, faintly apple-like in flavor, with an unfortunate, slightly cheap aftertaste that I'm afraid has gotten worse with the change to AB -- or is it just my imagination?

I don't want to put this brew down too much, because I do enjoy it, especially when it's on sale. Here in SoCal, we're lucky to find it for $8.99 a twelver, as I did yesterday. Along with PBR and High Life, I like to have a nice stock of this in the garage fridge as a base for when I can't afford the better beers-- it's light, refreshing, and has a bitchin' bottle. At least that hasn't changed.

Auroraboy, Nov 10, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -12%

Very yelllow body, clear. Lots of stark white head doesn't last long and doesn't do any lacing.

Smell has some corny(or rice) sweetness with a little bit of malt aroma. Some fruitiness.

This is a beer that I once drank on a very regular basis. I don't remember it tasting anything like this. Dominate flavor here is apple. Tart crabapple flavors. A little sweetness from rice is in there and a touch of malt. But the apple definitely dominates this one. Not necessarily negative (although it was for me), but definitely strange and surprising.

Mouthfeel is about as thin as can be, well carbonated though.

You certainly could down a lot of this stuff. That's drinkable right?

Hojaminbag, Nov 09, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

A= looks like piss in a bottle... nothing impressive.
S= very average. smelled like beer but not good beer. basic domestic brew
T= Water... tastes just like water to me... I couldn't even taste the alcohol in it. It tastes like straight water
M= Just like water.
D= I could drink a whole bunch of it since it tastes like water but it wouldn't be enjoyable. It's very strange how much like water it tastes like... perfect for getting really really really drunk but that's not really what beer is about I guess.

jjanega08, Nov 03, 2008

This is a decent, standard US lager, about middle of the road for flavour and character but a little different from others.

It is somewhat pale straw yellow, it has a fairly big, but very airy, bubbly head. The head shrinks steadily but not too quickly, surprising considering how airy it is, and it leaves a very weak hint of lace.

The aroma is fairly decent basic pale lager, stronger and more pungent than many, with rather strong grain, corn husks, and a light hint of sulphur.

The taste is light and crisp with a lot of pungent grain/corn with hints of grass and apple. It's rather sweet with only a brief, faint hint of bitterness. It's pleasant and easy to drink. I've heard it's nasty when warm, but I didn't let it warm.

Offa, Oct 01, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +30.5%

Pretty standard appearance. Bright golden, crystal clear. Some lively carbonation and a thin fizzy head without much retention and minimal lacing. Smells pretty subtle, with little to nothing sticking out. Pretty clean, pale malts with a bit of grain. Tastes pretty nice for the style. Again, pale malts with some grain. A hint of caramel sweetness and light biscuit essence. Touch of earthy hops. Mouthfeel is light and pretty crisp. This beer goes down quite well with little fuss from me. Seems to get low scores as most Macros do around here...that doesn't keep me from being honest.

ncvbc, Sep 29, 2008

Pours a pale golden color with relatively no head, not the most attractive of beers. Smells of slight sweetness reminiscent of artificially flavored water. Light and bold taste of alcoholic water with stinging carbonation and somewhat dry finish with some veggie flavors. A weak beer with no personality to speak for it.

JRed, Sep 26, 2008
1.43/5  rDev -44.8%

Oldie but a goodie--here goes... unabashedly transparent--resembles table water... champagne-like pale yellow--as light as a beer could look? Head swiftly settles.... metallic, pungent pilsner malts... nothing of a "bouquet"... champagne-like scents here too? Fizzy, almost seltzer body and a gassy, heavy end at the throat; watery at the tongue... "extra pale" = a woody, old almost annoying skunk--not quite what I remember from college life! Once magical, quaint and familiar, Rolling Rock just pales in comparison to almost anything else I now drink... oddly reminiscent of Keystone Light, ending with a grapey sweetness and a woody corrugation down the throat... lamentably, not much good to say....

dacrza1, Sep 20, 2008
3.08/5  rDev +18.9%

Bought a 12 pack for $7.99.

I've had so many bottles of Rolling Rock in my life I can't even begin to imagine. Besides having a bad ass painted bottle, it is one of the most drinkable beers in my opinion. Sure it may be lacking on taste or appearance, but damn is it smooth and drinkable. Much better than a Coors/Bud for the same price.. so go for this one.

oriolesfan4, Sep 09, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

The original green bottle from the Latrobe team in Missouri. Out of the bottle this one was a clear, pale yellow with a white head of froth about a finger thick. Fizzed out quickly and left little lacing. Aromas of dry grains, some light hops and a bit of green apple sweetness. Better than I remembered. Sadly, the flavors were what I recalled, corn and dry grains, weak pale malts and a funkiness I don't care for. Light bodied and fizzy mouthfeel. Better than some of the other American macro beers but that really isn't saying much.

thekevlarkid, Sep 09, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -18.9%

It is what it is. Transparent, zero lacing and head retention. So not too much to look at and nothing to right home about. It smells kinda like beer. There are several macro american lagers that offer a unique flavor, this one's unique flavor is a lingering after taste that tastes not so much like beer but more like unfiltered pond water. With all that said, I'm sure it is beer and it does get the job done in certain situations. I buy it now and again because I like the look of the bottles. It seems to say to me "I'm just an old fashioned beer looking for some clean wholsome fun" When I'm in the same mood, it gets the job done. Cheers!

flaminghomer, Sep 02, 2008
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.