Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,394 | Reviews: 770
2.78/5  rDev +7.8%

Very light body with a very pale and clear yellow appearance. Very small head that quickly fades. Smells and tastes corn with very small hints of sweet flavors, a bit of a fizzy/metallic feel in the mouth. Medium carbonation present. Best if served ice cold.

Not the best around but a decent choice for the price.

3.74/5  rDev +45%

12oz bottle into DFH shaped pint glass. Reviewed to style.

A: For the style, this beer looks excellent. It pours a light golden yellow with a very nice three fingers of bright egg-shell white head that faded into a thick bubbly film and left a ton of sticky lacing down the glass. The head is neither fizzy nor short-lived, and in fact has great retention. Impressive.
S: Light notes of adjunct grains and whatnot. It’s fairly sweet smelling but there’s not much there.
T: Really sweet with flavors of syrupy sweetener and dry grains and adjuncts. I also get weird fruit flavors like grape jelly or some kind of fruity pancake syrup. There is even a hint of banana in the finish, and I get biscuits in the aftertaste.
M: Ultra-light body with a very slick mouthfeel like watered down syrup. Carbonation is lively and active. Overall pretty crisp and refreshing in my mouth.
O: Tastes like a light macro that someone added a splash of syrup-sweetener to. Despite this, it is definitely one of the best beers I’ve encountered for the style, and I would choose this over the ‘big three’ any day. It definitely poured like a real beer and looks great in the glass.

2.85/5  rDev +10.5%

pours a clear, pale yellow with a 1/4" of head that quickly fades. Smells of grains but little else. Tastes or grains and corn. There is little if anything in the way of hops here. Mouthfeel is light, crisp, and clean.

Very drinkable but there's little in the way of flavor. I used to love this beer in college, but something changed in my opinion when AB took over.

3.04/5  rDev +17.8%

Tall can into a pint glass.

Not a lot of head, little lacing, very clear light golden colour, constant carbonation.

Slight corn smell, a bit metallic, not a strong smell at all.

Tastes like a light beer, at 4.6%, It's a bit stronger than that, but still has the watery quality of most mass produced 4% beers. That said, it's not at all offensive and actually quite easy to drink.

This is a decent summer beer in that it's easy to drink and when it's cold, it tasted pretty good. Nothing spectacular or above average about it and I won't go out of my way to find it, but I wouldn't say I won't give it another shot.

2.22/5  rDev -14%

nothing that special that's for sure. I liked how it was local for me but since they moved out of the state the beer got alittle worse. The water source used to make the beer. It is relatively cheap, could be while a lot of people are attracted to it, but the taste isn't too pure to me.

2.72/5  rDev +5.4%

A - pale yellow with little head and no retention - patchy lacing - good clarity

S - pale malt - stale biscuit - floral

T - pale malt - sweet - biscuit - chemical - floral notes

M - light body - hint of bitterness - some carbonation

O - not my style and not worth trying again

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

On tap last night

A-pale yellow, thin head that's kind of soapy looking, after a couple sips it doesn't exist. Activity is minimal

S-Corn and metal, light skunk, touch of lemon

T-super watery and metally, crispy finish very very clean on the palate

M-very thin and dry

O- meh...nothing to report, cheap beer goes down easy but nothing special at all

2.63/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale straw colour topped with a finger of fizzy white head that is gone quite quickly, leaving only some patchy lacing. Doesn't look heavily carbonated, at least visually. Smells the same as most adjunct lagers; light pale malts and corn, nothing interesting.

The taste is pretty much the same - diluted light malts and corn, certainly no hops to speak of. Clean finish with no aftertaste good or bad. Light-bodied and watery, with carbonation on the low side for the style. This is boring but it's drinkable and fairly crisp-tasting.

Nothing about this beer is notable, but everything about this beer is watery and uninteresting, which I guess is probably what the 'extra pale' means. Overall it kind of just makes me want to say 'meh'. It reminds me of a light beer; drinkable but not very satisfying. Seriously, if this were categorized as a light beer, it would probably get a higher score from me. I will probably not pick this up again.

[Updated Nov. 19 2013]

Can't believe I'm returning to this one. It's even worse than I remember, and I have no idea how this garbage is surviving in the Canadian market at this price point (e.g. Labatt Blue, which sucks slightly less than this, is about 40 to 50 cents cheaper per tallboy can). There are very few adjunct lagers I would not take over Rolling Rock. Overpriced fizzy corn water; skip it.

Final Grade: 2.63, a C-.

2.29/5  rDev -11.2%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - JAN 18, 2008

I had a choice between this and Coors, and this looked classier so I gave it a shot. I should have gone for the Coors. Not good at all, very watery and as I recall even slightly bitter. Very clear, light and fizzy. Smells terrible and the aftertaste isn’t much better.

2.97/5  rDev +15.1%

Pale yellow, thin head.

Not much smell, vague grain and corn, but amazingly, no skunky note.

Plain taste, slight corn note, um, I'm trying to find other real flavors but it's really just this side of water. I've actually had tapwater from certain places with stronger flavor than this. That said, the flavor is not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel crisp, medium carbonation.

I have to say I was actually quite surprised. This may be the best beer in a green bottle I've had. Probably because all the other beers I've had in a green bottle taste like rotten lettuce. But even so, I'd take this over plenty of other macros. Simple, unoffensive, clean notes if finished while cold.

2.28/5  rDev -11.6%

Once was one of the best beers brewed in Pennsylvania a fantastic extra pale ale until it got bought out by Anheuser-Busch. Now it tastes different certainly not good. But it pours a very light golden yellow with a bright white head. Not the best anymore.

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from a can into a Stone pint glass, reading "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies". If this bear were fizzier or yellower, I would be a wussy.

Pours with a frothy and suddenly dissipating head on top of an insipid light yellow beverage. On the nose, it is smells a bit like the light Caro corn syrup my mom used to make confections with. No hops to speak of on the nose, no metallic odor from the can. The taste is relative clean, a bit sweet, with an aftertaste of less-toasty Kellogg's corn flakes. It has a bit of that funkiness that adjunct lagers usually have. The mouthfeel is thin without a ton of carbonation.

Overall, this is not a horrible beer, but it is not good. I might have enjoyed this one when I was 16. If I am going to drink cheap piss beer, I am going to drink PBR, Oly, Hamm's, or Rainier. In my mind, all are much better.

1.83/5  rDev -29.1%

Got a keg in the kegerator, so why the hell not?

A: PALE straw color, big fluffy head that dissipates like soda. Tiny whispers of lacing, but not much.

S: Has that light beer corn and light malt scent to it. Slight skunky aroma.

T: What taste?... nah, well it almost has no flavor; some light malt and skunky corn flavor.

M: Well at least it's refreshing, as much as seltzer water is. Crisp, fizzy, highly carbonated.

O: It's not the worst macro you can buy, but I wish I had saved the $15 and gotten a keg of keystone for my party over this. It's been a chore to finish off this keg before getting a decent one back in the ole kegerator.

4.6/5  rDev +78.3%

This is my go to beer so to speak. If I can't make up my mind this is what I buy. The taste is very mild and is probably the smoothest beer I've ever had.

It pours a light gold color, with little head. Definitely has a sweet corn taste. One of the best light beers I've ever had.

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%

Can to 1/2 pint nonic pint glass.

A: Pours about 2 1/2 fingers of pure white foamy head off a very aggressive pour. Only a few streams of co2 bubbles, very dead looking. Super clear and a very, very pale straw gold.

S: Not much to this except a very one dimensional grain/corn aroma. No hops at all.

T: The flavor actually isn't that bad for the style. Lots of corny/grainy goodness I suppose.

M: Very light with a dry finish.

O: This is a straight up AAL. This is an alright beer that would probably taste its best after mowing or when out disc golfing when no craft in cans are at my disposal. Rating this to style its my 2nd choice of AALs next to PBR.

1.61/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

473ml can
4.5% ABV
I tried this beer on May 10, 2011 after purchasing from one of my local LCBO outlels. The beer poured a translucent light gold colour with a this bubbly head that dissipated into nothing within a minute. The aroma is grain, metal, and corn. The mouthfeel is weak bodied, almost watery with mild carbonation. The flavour is weak grainy malt, with an acidic aftertaste. A good working from home beer.

1.66/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Hugely fizzy and extremely light color. Looks like piss. White head fizzles away faster than some sodas and leaves little to no lasing.

S: The smell is bad. Cheap malt sweetness with corn. It smells kind of musty or dirty. Its off-putting. At least it smells somewhat crisp and refreshing.

T: I think this beer is rated too high. I've had my fair share of cheap beers and this is only memorable because of the uniquely bad flavor. It is really sweet, but it tastes fake sweet, corn sweet. Its a little toasty, but in a bad way. When I want to drink a cheap-o lager I want it to be crisp, refreshing, and the less taste the better (because what is there usually sucks). This has a distinctively bad taste.

M: It's way too carbonated at first, but it still has a super light mouthfeel.

This review really shouldn't be this long. I just want to say that I can't believe this beer even gets a C-, it should be one of the last cheap beers you buy.

2.88/5  rDev +11.6%

Canned version reintroduced to Ontario by A-B InBev.

Pours an all-too-familiar pale straw yellow with a sizeable white head that burns off in a few minutes leaving a film and sparse lacing behind.

Smells of corn syrup and some kind of metallic or plastic aroma. I get a slight wet grain smell as well as a slight ester-like quality.

After a nice crisp start, I get a sweet, toasted malt taste. Oddly sour in the aftertaste before going dry. Not that bad really.

Certainly is an easy-drinking brew. Light-bodied with a medium-high carbonation. Sort of earthy (dirt) note in the finish.

Has a fairly unique taste for the style and makes a good "ice cold/hot day" thirst quencher. I'd grab this over most other macro alternatives, but frankly it's still kind of gross.

3.2/5  rDev +24%

This was my other Grandfathers favorite beer, he would probably be rolling in his grave knowing that it was sold to AB. This beer pours out as a yellow color with a head that quickly vanishes. The smell of the beer has a light skunkiness to it and some fresh grains and corn on the nose. The taste is on the sweeter side and has a decent bitterness in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light and very drinkable. Overall is a decent social drinking brew.

2.47/5  rDev -4.3%

Very pale colored beer, lively with bubbles and with a fine, white, soapy head. Highly adjunct smell, mildly grassy hops aromas are faint and removed. Taster is very mild, grainy and with a quick finish of more adjuncts and hay-like cheap hops. Meh, pretty boring beer.

4.02/5  rDev +55.8%

Definitely my favorite of the less expensive beers, this is the perfect thing to drink after a long day at your blue-collar job. Thee working class beer for sure. Everything, from the cheap taste to the not-so frothy head to the awesome green-glass bottle gets me excited. We always keep some Rolling Rock around the house, along with other, more expensive beers; but I always keep coming back to the Rock. Classy? Maybe not. Sophisticated? No. Delicious for what it is? Without a doubt.

First had: a bottle in a friend's basement, presumably

Wow, I actually used to drink this. Pours a clear, residual brownish-yellow color that is one shade away from being water. Thin, bubbly, white head. Naught in the aroma other than skunk and a touch of grain. Cereal grains in the taste--barely--metallic and skunky. Light and watery, easy to drink if you just wanna down a case and get fit-shaced.

1.63/5  rDev -36.8%

really pale, almost transparent blonde, big head that disapates almost instantly. Smell is corn and grain, big hints of cheese, lightly malty but lots of cooked corn. Taste is all corn, at points its faintly malty and lightly bitter but cooked corn is everywhere in this. Mouthfeel is light and very watery, carb is really high. This was awfull I didn't get past a quarter pint before this found the drain. This is really bad even keeping style in mind.

2.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pale, bland, light beer.

Light straw color, ice foamy white head. Just a hint of the cheap lager skunk that passes for hops. Extremely light body. It does have a pleasant hint of sweet maltiness which dries out to a faint dusty taste. Touch of lemon and a slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Seems innocuous but only a touch of beeriness.

Even within this anemic style, this is not a winner.

3.63/5  rDev +40.7%

Is Rolling Rock the most complex beer out there? No.

Is it the best tasting beer out there? No.

Is it ridiculously cheap and easy to drink? Yes.

I find it hard to review Rolling Rock the same way one would review Westvleteren 12. It's like apples and oranges.

And as I poured myself a glass, I found it incredibly weird to put my nose down to the glass so I could rate it's "smell" on a scale of 1 to 5.

Rolling Rock, at the very least, is a cheap alternative to drinking watery swill beer like Natural Light. And while many on this site would never be caught dead buying Natural Light, the truth remains that when I am having people over to watch the big game, I am not serving them Belgian Dubbels. Mainly because that would be incredibly expensive, but also because it wouldn't make sense.

So if you are staring at the freezer doors in the liquor store, with only $20 in your pocket, Rolling Rock is the best way to go. $20, depending on the store, will get you two 18-packs of bottles.

ALSO - Don't drink Rolling Rock out of a can. I know it's tempting, but don't do it. It's a completely different experience.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.