Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros

Served literally "ice cold", out of my freezer before the point of slushiness. To avoid the nastyness the Bros warned of when warm.

I first tried this at the age of 17 in a can, and thought it tasted like chemically shite..now to retaste it, i actually like beer now..

A: Clear yellow macro, whispy lacing.

S: Light grain, whiff of corny dextrin sweetness.

T: High refreshing carbonation, light dextrin sweetness, a little sour or chemically-medicinal tasting hops, follwed by a refreshing dry finish. Kind of has a residual sweetness at the end, with a tad of hop bitterness. I like it better than Bud,Miller, or Coors.

It's a strange pallette to knock down, it's flavours are bizarre, medicinal, and yet refreshing. I don't quite get it. Usually I would not enjoy something like this, but now I actually like this beer.whatever I guess...

TwinSox33, Jul 30, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

I poured this beer into my glass at 40 degrees. Pale ale it certainly is. Almost clear in fact. The bber does not hold a head long at all.
However taste was really clean and crisp. The beer is a great summertime brew and though it is certainly nothing special, if it taste good drink it. I will buy again as long as I don't get skunked which I have in years past from this label

Minkybut, Jul 26, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -24.7%

12 oz. green bottle,

A: Pours a pale yellow, with a fizzy, soapy white head, poor retention, no lacing.

S: Very light, some malt, cereal.

T: Light malt, on the sweet side, faint hint of hops, flavour is rather vapid.

M: Fizzy, light-bodied, good heft for the style.

D: Not horrible, but just not a beer I had fun drinking, pass.

Halcyondays, Jul 24, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

on tap at the Bud brewery. I figure the best way to review the new, post-Latrobe incarnation of RR is to have it as fresh as you can get it. This also just happens to be the first time I've bothered to try any since they got bought out.

Pours weak and dull. I didn't pay nothing for it so I'm not going to ask the guy to put a head on it. Still... it's tepid.

Don't smell nothing like I remember it, but I never remember having on tap before so I guess you got to take that into consideration. I remember lots and lots of veggies like canned corn and peas. Here I got rice and various adjuncts that taste like metal. A little hay.

Tastes very much like it smells. Heavy on the not-too-pleasant adjunct with lots grain in there. The metal is toned down considerably, which I'm glad for since this beer was literally kegged earlier today.

Goes down smooth enough but it's pretty meh.

mynie, Jun 29, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +12%

A- Brilliantly clear light yellow with decent sized white head that dissipates into a small layer.

A- Grainy malt aroma.

T- Very bland taste. Not much malt, nor much hop flavor. Good for the "style" I suppose? Left a weird phenolic aftertaste.

M- It's like drinking slightly bubbly water. Very light body with low to medium carbonation.

D- It's odd, but this may be one of the better american macro lagers out there. As odd as the aftertaste is I sortof like it. The green bottle worried me, but with how low of hop flavor is in this I doubt there is much worry of skunking.

gpogo, Jun 25, 2008

12 oz. green bottle from totally enclosed 12-pack, dated 29Mar08 on the carton. I've had the "Rock" dozens of times over the years, so it's nothing new. In fact, when my local dropped the price to $6.99 for the 12-pack, I bought three. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: typical American macro color of pale yellow body with a soapy, fizzy white small head, which quickly dies and leaves a dollop at the surface. Absolutely leaves no lacing, but head returns upon swirl of the glass. Lots of carbonation in a very clean, clear looking beer.

Smell: not much in the nose but very mild grain, sweet corn, but no hops. Nothing really offensive either.

Taste: mildly sweet grains, slight bitterness from hops along with a slightly sour finish.

Mouthfeel: dryness on the tongue with lively carbonation. Body is definitely on the light side
with a watery texture.

Drinkability: drink this one cold on a hot summer afternoon. A traditional "lawnmower" beer with lighter flavors, decent mouthfeel and low alcohol.
Refreshing, light and inexpensive.

Procrastinator, Jun 18, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

Don't have much to say about this one (although I will ask why it is that I seem to be reviewing so much macro crap lately...have I lowered my standards or are the gas prices just getting to me?). This beer truly has the least flavor of any I've ever consumed. There is literally a mere hint of grain and malt, and you have to sit there for like ten minutes swishing around with a stupid look on your face trying to find it. It looks like crap, straw yellow, and the body is nothing. I could drink like 400 of these if I was desperate to get drunk on water (but I'm no longer in college, so that's less likely). It's not good, but it's got so little flavor, that it's really not that objectionable either.

soupyman10, Jun 12, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, yellow body with a small, white head that fizzles out fairly quickly.

Smell: Pale malt, cereal aroma with a touch of skunk in there. Whaddya gonna do?

Taste: Pale malts, cereal sweetness. Yeah, it's skunked. A nicely painted green bottle is still a green bottle. Sweetish finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: My lager thumb points down! Drink it cold and quick if you insist on drinking it at all.

ChainGangGuy, Jun 10, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +13.9%

This is the beer that started it all for me. It definitely is extra pale as the name implies. Smells a little skunky. Never really retains any head. Usually keeps a nice rim around the top with a little lacing. Tastes sour with not alot of flavor. VERY easy to drink. Very light. Now that I've moved on to bigger and better beers, I won't visit this one often, but when I do, it's always enjoyable. Especially on a hot day.

Onenote81, May 29, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

This is my basic fallback when i am at my local townie bar and don't feel like a Sam Adams. Pours super clear the head disappears as quicky as poured mountain dew. The smell is a bit off with some corn essence but not enough to offend. Taste is the pretty basic macro lager flavor but something different about it that i enjoy.Goes down fairly quickly and smooth. Good lawn mower or fallback beer but, in order for it to be a regular for me there really must be nothing else around.

cactusjuggalo, May 23, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +29.3%

Poured from 12 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - They aren't lying when they say extra pale. A shade or so lighter than other macros. With a hard pour I got a huge head that died rather quickly, but did leave a film for awhile.

S - A little sweet, mostly grainy, a different but more subdued aroma than others of the style.

T - Starts off with some sweet, vaguely malty flavor and then dives into cereal and corn. Faint spicy hops in the finish. Simple, but a little different.

M - Average and on point with the style. Light and fizzy, perhaps a tad more oily than it's cousins.

D - Better than most macros, if only because the flavor is a little bit different. Easy to drink with virtually no bitterness, I'll always have a soft spot for Rolling Rock when I have to reach for some swill.

PatrickJR, May 19, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -8.1%

Apperance very pale and good luck keeping a head on this one. Smell some sweet malt no hops. Taste very light sweetness no hops. Mouthfeel high carbonation thin body. Drinkability no offensive flavors great club soda substitute. You wont find this one in my fridge anytime soon.

BeerTaster, May 11, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +33.2%

This is a simple beer with a clean non-offensive flavor. It has a very pale light golden yellow color with a white foamy head. The flavor is a mix of light malty grains and mild hops. It has a super clean finish with a light body and a thin but lively texture and carbonation. Overall it's an extremely refreshing and drinkable beer that's great for sloppy bbq and spicy food. Non-beer drinkers may also enjoy this brew especially if offered in cut little split bottles.

generallee, May 09, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -33.2%

Oh the rock. I remember once upon a time I purchased a twelve pack of you... Never again. I now find your color pale and unattractive. Your smell reminds me of my dirty dishes. The taste is bitter and unmemorable. The feel is light and stings my tounge with carbonation. Oh well, I gues I'll just have a water.

rye726, May 05, 2008
2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a pils glass.

Pours a pale straw with a 1/2 finger head that recedes immediately. Bubbly carbonation climbs the sides of the glass.

Aroma is of DMS and musky corn. Corn smut is what I get from the aroma. Hops are there and in balance, the malt aromas are lacking here.

Taste is sulfur hops, corn and DMS. Malt characters are non-existent. Astringent characters reign in this beer, it is phenolic and weak at the same time. Bottom fermenting yeasts are prevalent and at times overpowering. I get a note of diacetyl when inhaling on a drink, then it disappears. Hops that are there are sulfur and sour. Sweet corn is on top of the flavor profile with the sulfur hops.

Mouthfeel is watery. Crisp carbonation throughout keeps the sweetness down.

Drinkability is average as the taste and thin character do not agree with me.

Overall, worse than I remember it from before I was a BA.

wheatyweiss, May 01, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Think of any American style lager brewed by a big company (Bud, Coors, etc.). Now drink Rolling Rock. In this comparison Rolling Rock wins hand down. BUT it does have many of the failings of its counterparts. Near no aroma, harsh mouthfeel, and par with regards to its golden appearance. A slightly sweeter and slightly more robust flavor when compared to Bud and others, but still nothing I'd champion as my favorite beer. Drinkability gets a 4 because you can put down an entire 12 pack and not even think about it.

leif86, Apr 20, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: typical 12oz. American style bottle. No best drink by date. Semi-frothy head. Carbonation really does remind you of seltzer water. Pale and extra clear. Head dissipates quickly.

Smell: definite corn essence. Some weak maltiness with what could be hops. Sharp

Taste: No hoppy bitterness till the end but very weak. A slight sweetness wanting to come out but as the bros said more corn than any thing

Mouth feel: Sharp. No real back bone. Just goes down quick and watery as if it were trying to escape your taste buds. No real after taste but a slight alcohol.

Overall: After mowing a lawn great, but as a real drink it for the taste and nothing else beer no. It has a place. I assume but not on my shelf.

JCBears, Apr 20, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

A: Extra pale is right... almost no colour to this at all, and a short lived, rather fizzy white head.

S: More pleasant aroma than what I might expect. Mild sweetness and maybe a hint of lemon.

T: Grain and corn... a metallic flavour that is ever-present and becomes a little stronger as it warms to the point that it becomes kind of strange tasting and harder to drink.

M + D: Like carbonated water, for the most half. Nothing spectacular going on, and kind of bland in the sense of feeling. Easy to suck back as long as it's cold, but I don't think I'd give this much consideration on a warm day, as the offtastes don't take long to become a bit much. Not something worth doing again, but not really horrible swill, either.

Proteus93, Apr 18, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -5.4%

I cannot believe how much of this stuff I used to drink back in the dark ages before my eyes were opened to the beauty of the micrwbrew and really, really good beer.

The one thing I can give RR is that it's a decent summer brew if you're outdoors in the hot, sweltering heat. If you serve it cold enough it can be quite refreshing, though I'd never drink it for taste...

zook74, Apr 15, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +20.8%

Its a macro beer, and basically on the same scale as a bud or miller, but i believe this beer does have more flavor. It does taste horrible if you drink it warm, but otherwise its a regular average beer. Can easily drink a bunch of these.

I will def have this beer again, not because its awesome, but because its a cheaper beer that i enjoy

getch, Apr 02, 2008
2.6/5  rDev +0.4%

Poured to a very very light yellow. With a nice head that was white. Head didnt last long. There was a trace of lacing, but that was all it was, was a trace. Had a corn smell also a hint of sweet. Not really a lot of smell to it. Had a sweet taste and a slightly bitter metallic aftertaste. Felt okay in the mouth. Carbonation was a little to much. Also felt watery. If you got this brew ice cold perhaps you could drink a few of these. The warmer the beer got, the more of a bitter aftertaste was evident.

youngleo, Mar 31, 2008
2.93/5  rDev +13.1%

I haven't done a nice macro in a while so I'll give it another go. This AML pours a completely clear ridiculously pale yellow color. Some small rising bubbles are present in the body and the very thin, soapy, white head recedes very quickly. Some spotty chunks of thin lace do hold to the glass. When they say "Extra Pale" they ain't kiddin' brother. I'm tempted to make some mildly inappropriate reference to the color of this brew but I will restrain myself.

Starchy sweet, pale malt and husky grain. Slightly metallic and dry smelling. Mild and unimpressive. Semi-sweet adjunct grain continues into the finish and leaves little else. A lot of what I expected.

Slightly sweet pale malt and mildly buttery cornmeal. More husky/dusty cereal character and a weak metallic bitterness. Somewhat watery and the flavor just seems to die on the palate. Little flavor lingers at all. You could certainly do a great deal better as far as the style is concerned.

Crisp and thin with a somewhat watered down feel and moderate/high bubby/effervescent carbonation. Slightly dry and husky in the finish. This brew's only saving grace, as far as I'm concerned, is that it remains the official beer of Heinz Field. For that reason, I will give leeway. Also, there's a lot of history in those glass lined tanks of old Latrobe.

letsgopens, Mar 31, 2008
2.9/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Pale yellow, big head, surprisingly good lacing.

Smell: Dry crackers.

Taste: Moderately sweet, buttery corn.

Drinkability: Goes down easy, I can have several of these without getting a headache, unlike other A-B products.

Felt like picking up a cheap pounder 12-pack but didn't want to stoop too low. Rolling Rock is a decent lawnmower beer with a slightly different flavor profile than the other macros.

Mdog, Mar 30, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +34.4%

Pale yellow colored beer with your normal macro aroma.Taste is also your basic adjunct corn taste.This beer is smooth and goes down silky smooth.I have drank in the past and I will always drink these when available.Perfect beer for that hot day when ice cold.I would prefer this to many of the micros that are on the market now!!!

matty, Mar 27, 2008
2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Not too different from you're average macro, both good and bad: sure it's skimpy on the flavor and pretty uninteresting all around, but it's clean and pretty drinkable with some corny sweetness (though it's not cloying). Mild vegetal hop flavor and a husky corn finish.

For the style, I suppose it's decent, but than again how can you really tell the difference. But overall, it's not something I'd buy, in fact, if my neighbor hadn't slipped me the last two bottles of a six-pack he wasn't going to finish, I'd probably wouldn't even be reviewing it now.

Not recommended...

arguemaniac, Mar 26, 2008
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.