Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +35.1%

Maybe the price boosted my opinion. This beer is great for the low price, even in bottles. It is priced equal as coors but I enjoy it more. The carbonation is mild, and it is a good pale ale. I have heard people compare it to sprite, just without the overly sweet aftertaste. Something that i can feel comfortable drinking when I am on a budget

VietPong, Aug 12, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I have not had a Rolling Rock in years and I am remembering why. Only thing is it is worth what I paid for it. I found it on sale for $0.46 per can. In comparison to other beers at that cost it is what you would expect. It is much lighter than I remembered and more flavorless than I remembered too. Next time I'm shopping for the cheapest available I'll get something different.

dball, Aug 08, 2010
2.98/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a bottle into glass.

A - Extremely light. Extra pale is the name of the beer, so, I guess it fits. Watery, yellowish color. White head that dissipates very quickly. Bubbles constantly rising from bottom to top.

S - Grainy, bitter, a bit skunky.

T - Not a lot to the taste, very average. Grains, slight bitterness (one would expect more from a cheap beer), a hint of citrus notes become present, which is something that makes it taste better than your average budweiser or coors, in my opinion. I had it with pizza, and it washed down the pizza nicely. It's good for bbq's too, just an overall beer that would go okay with any dish, especially in warm weather.

M - Light, foamy, bubbly and carbonated well. Leaves a crisp dry finish at the end.

D - Good drinkability for a cheap beer. I can drink a bunch of these and will never be bloated or full. Just a smooth beer, not much else to it.

It hurts me to rate this beer, it holds a special place in my heart. This was my go-to beer for any party or occasion I would attend as a kid. I've always preferred this beer over anything else when I would drink large quantities. My father used to get kegs of this all the time for family parties.

One thing I can say about this beer is although it may lack in alcohol content, it's one good quality is that even though it's a cheap and highly manufactured beer, it doesn't have a bad taste whatsoever. Great to drink a lot when you know you won't be driving home.

RankRefugee88, Aug 07, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +27.4%

The CANQuest (TM) has finally slowed to the point that I am willing to drink and review Rolling Rock in a CAN from the Latrobe Brewing Co. in St. Louis, MO. It saddens me to type that last as I was a die-hard Rock drinker for many, many years while in the Navy. We could not regularly get Iron City, so Rock was my beer of choice. I was heartbroken by the move out of Latrobe and until now, have not had one drop.

From the CAN: "To honor the tradition of this great brand, we quote from the original pledge of quality - 'From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe, we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment, as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you'." "33"

Yeah, same as it NEVER was! Bah. My pour netted me better than two fingers' worth of rocky, bone-white head with average retention. Color was "Extra Pale". Ha! Actually, it was a light straw-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like any other AAL, lightly lager-sweet, overlain with cereal and other oddities. I have heard a rumor that the A-B boys did not like the original DMS-smelling recipe and "cleaned it up" for mass consumption. I believe it, because although I was not capable of quantifying it back then, I do know that Rock had a different smell than other beers. Taste was kind of malty for the style, like the opposite of damning with faint praise. Here, it has taste, which is wrong for the style. Alice Through the Looking Glass, anyone? I am not going to lie and say that it tasted nothing like what I remember because, frankly, I CANnot remember what it tasted like. Yes, I do. It tasted like home. Now, it tastes like corporate HQ. I miss having it as a Pennsylvania beer. It tasted like salty tears for a moment. Hmm. Finish was light, slightly dry, kind of refreshing. Actually just a bit better than average for the style. Not bad, but an absolute one-and-done for yours truly.

Many, many good memories associated with this beer. The summer of '95 when they had the Pony Cap promotion where if you collected all six Triple Crown winners, you got a trip to the Kentucky Derby. Gooch and I sat in his Burbank apartment one Saturday and polished off EVERY bottle from EVERY liquor store in a five-block radius. Har! We quickly realized that Whirlaway was the elusive cap. Sam's Saloon put it on tap for me and the rep let me pick a buncha stuff out of the catalog for free. It netted the bar a neon sign! Good times.

woodychandler, Aug 05, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +45.9%

I enjoy this beer. Its very easy to drink, very smooth. Not the best ABV but still nice to sit down and drink. Not a beer to sip in my opinion. It tastes like a light beer. Smells alright not very hoppy. Its head isnt very strong. but an enjoyable beer.

Careerinbeer, Jul 30, 2010
2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Pale clear yellow, almost straw. About 1 finger of foamy head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Relatively undetectable, maybe a bit of sweet malts and skunkiness in there.

T/M: Adjunct malts which end in a slight malty sweetness, crisp and carbonated, very light... essentially seltzer water with smaller bubbles and a hint of beer.

D: Not very impressed; the sweet malty hints are all that's there to give it a bit of character.

thekanna, Jul 28, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +19.7%

The beer pours a pale yellow color, with minimal head and little to no lacing. The head that pours dissipates quickly. The carbonation is mild to above average. The smell is of grains, mostly corn. As far as taste, this beer is better than you would expect from the appearance and smell. It does seem a little watery though. It has a mild flavor, with notes of corn in the middle. The mouthfeel is a bit carbonated, but smooth. This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. I could drink this all day/night and not have an issue. It's one of my favorite cheap macro beers.

TheNightwatchman, Jul 25, 2010
2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale yellow with obvious carbonation, a two finger head that quickly dissipates, and little lacing.

Smells grainy and not much else.

It has slightly lemony overtones and a plain, indiscreet grainy flavor that's not impressive but isn't exactly bad. Might be good for a day of fixin' the shed and cleanin' up dog-doo at your mom's house.

Feels watery and highly carbonated.

Drinks poorly. There are plenty more cheeper beers out there that are at least this drinkable. Could be worse tho, could be a bud product.

AlCaponeJunior, Jul 17, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

12 oz green bottle. Crystal clear and pale gold with a frothy white cap. The head fell to a collar and skim of fine bubbles after a few minutes and left some streaky lacing on the glass. Grainy cereal aroma with a bit of lemony hops, quite clean with no skunk. Bitterness was light, but certainly present. Modest sweetness up front, slight hop flavour mid-palate (lemony and a bit sulfury), with a flash of metal in the finish. Light bodied with ample carbonation, crisp and a little more dry than necessary. Refreshing and clean. I really don't mind this at all.

DrJay, Jul 13, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +32.4%

a-pours a very pail straw colour with minimal head.

s-crisp notes followed by some slight bitterness and grain odours.

t-Crisp tasting, carbonated, mild hop bitterness...very mild.

m-def in keeping with the abv..tends to water up if left for a while.

d-Pretty drinkable...much more so than the standard macros. I really love this beer when I'm working outside on a hot day and I can take one out of the cooler.

Mit, Jul 09, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +8.1%

Had this in bottles and cans. Most recent was in cans.

A: Yellow Water with foamy head

S: Smells like alcohol

T: Its very clean but leaves something to be desired but its okay for a cook out or lawn mower beer.

M: light and foamy.

D: Its okay. I buy it now and then but not something I'd recommend.

GNR4life2, Jul 09, 2010
3.01/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Ah, show me the memories of being a teenager on a rooftop in downtown Charleston, SC.

Very pale, bordering on waterlike appearance. BMC aroma.

Taste, very prickly, lots of carbonation and a little bit of Saaz hops I would guess, maybe Kent Golding. Very light, refreshing. Price has went up over the years, but remains a decent deal given everything else in its category.

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 08, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +71%

Love this beer. Started buying it before it was taken over. I can currently get this beer on tap at the Eagles 75 cents. Only downside is on tap it gives quite a headache. Bottle is great too. I would hope one day the green bottle will be gone. I would avoid the can at all costs.

yuenglingfan101, Jul 08, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +40.9%

Had a couple of these yesterday. First time having one in, oh, maybe a decade. They were offered and I accepted. The second of the 2 cans (the first being a 12 oz gulped straight from the can) was a 16 oz pounder. Poured into a clear plastic cup - not the best (or proper) glassware, but adequate enough to pass judgment.

Looked like your average adjunct lager. Grainy, light golden-yellow. The color of, say, a 3:1 or 4:1 mix of lemon and orange Gatorade. Sports at least an inch of cottony, snap-crackle-pop head.

Stinks, delicately, of grain and corn (aka animal feed). Features, surprisingly, a quite noticeable, but hardly potent, hop aroma.

In addition to the smells I mentioned carrying over pretty straight up into the flavor, a tiny sour tang and a vague fruitiness is present throughout. The fruitiness could be wishful thinking, however. Doesn't strike me as pilsner-like.

I was waiting for a nasty aftertaste, waiting for my tongue to feel like a snail's trail, etc. But, man, this actually went down well, not unlike cold spring water. Dare say it cleaned my mouth out pleasingly, probably due to generous carbonation.

If I'm judging to style here, and I'm trying my best to, the Rock ain't half bad. Certainly more tolerable than the ubiquitous BMC flagship offerings. Really, I'd only drink this in the future if offered or if thirsty. For the style: 3.5+. We'll see how my opinion may change on it once I have the "pleasure" of comparing it to other representatives of its kind.

Bouleboubier, Jul 06, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +19.7%

A - Pale yellow with 1" light head. Small amounts of lacing throughout the beer.

S - Sweet and grainy aroma, which is fairly distinct after agitating the beer.

T - More taste than some light beers, but nothing spectacular.

M - Light to medium carbonation, decent.

D - Clean and crisp. This is a good beer for a hot day.

LuthersMug, Jul 03, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -13.1%

A- Pours a slight shade deeper than other adjunct lagers.
S- Smell is of corn and metal.
T- Taste is the same as the smell. There is a bit of... wet sock flavor in there as well.
M- Overcarbonated and thin, but not unreasonably so, style considered.
D- This lies somewhere above most AB- products and below PBR on list of cheap adjuncts for me. Could be worse, I suppose.

jsprain1, Jun 25, 2010
3.33/5  rDev +28.6%

I was a fan of Rolling Rock before I became serious about beer. So having one now is like returning home-- not as great as you thought it was when you were younger.

Everything is pretty much average about this beer, so I won't bother with the usual A, S, and so on. To be honest, it's not a terrible beer but nothing I would ever crave or buy nowadays. If I were stuck at a party with it to drink, I'd be okay though. It has a taste that is better than the likes of PBR or any of the light beers, but nothing at all spectacular.

DuffManOhYeah, Jun 21, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

I hadn't had one of these in a long time, so I picked some up for a little bit of grilling enjoyment with some friends.

A: Pours a straw yellow head with bubbly white head that quickly fades. Pretty standard for the style.

S: Smells faintly of grains...that's about all however.

T: Light hoppiness and maltiness along with a slight sweet taste. Finishes very crisp and clean. This beer is great for a hot day. Certainly has a better taste than other macros (ie: bud, coors, etc)

M: Medium carbonation. Clean and crisp. REFRESHING!

D: These are one of those beers you could have a session with if it's hot outside, like today was for sure. Highly recommended while working on the lawn, grilling with friends, or just want a beer while it's hot out. So crisp.

VolcomBrewer, Jun 19, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

A: clear with a slight touch of gold. No head even with a rough pour

S: Not much smell

T:Watery, slight taste of metal.

M:Watery, very light carbonation

D: Great beer to drink while tailgaiting or hanging outside in the heat.(Or so I thought before I discovered craft beer)
Growing up in PA we drank this over ML or Bud or even Yuengling. Definitely an upgrade over Miller lite or Bud. I always thought it tasted of metal. Maybe it was from the glass lined tanks at Latrobe.

IdrinkGas, Jun 18, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Straw yellow color, poor head and no retention, medium carbonation

S: Smells kind of like vegetables more than malt or hops. Doesn't really have much smell at all...

T: Very crisp taste. Slightly hoppy, no maltiness at all.

M: Clean, light.

D: Good session beer for a hot day!

Spica66, Jun 02, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +13.9%

I drank a lot of RR in college (in NY) before the sale to AB, and while it has changed a bit since the old days with the shift from Latrobe, PA -- Mr. Rogers's hometown! -- to St. Louis, it hasn't been a sea change. This is still a middle-of-the-road American lager that is little watery for my taste but (as others have noted) is good for a volume session on a hot day. I think AB tried to buy themselves some "street cred"/legacy by engulfing and devouring RR after the sellout to InBev but that never works since true believers never go along. But I can't hate on this beer since it's not that bad. Try one!

hmk22, May 31, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Went to see a show this is the best thing they had on tap...never reviewed it so why the hell not? Review from phone notes.

A- Pours a pale golden yellow color. Came to me with a finger white head which had no retention and died quickly. Light soapy lacing in the glass.

S- Light hopping in this is the first time I can really detect it in a macro lager. Sweet cereal grains of course but also a light malt backing. The overall aroma is pretty faint so there is a point breaker right there.

T- Flavor was that of most macros (cereal grains, cooked veggies) but there was a light hop profile in this that you could actually taste. Not as sweet tasting as other macros.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is lacking a little for the style but it's a good thing. Sweet malts left on the palate with some more grainy flavor in the aftertaste. Light, crisp, and well mostly refreshing.

D- This beer has high drinkability. I personally wouldn't want to kill a 6'er of it. But well I had my fair share of it that night. It does have a spot in my drinking hobby. Low ABV makes this one easy as can be to have a couple and then a couple more.

alleykatking, May 29, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

Drank 5/28/10
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a light clear straw yellow, maybe a point or two higher SRM then your standard adjunct lager. Smallish head on a fairly aggressive pour that faded within a minute or two. Very little lacing left as I drank this beer.

S - Really very little smell to this beer. Smells more like a light lager than anything else. Faint generic grain/rice smell, with some generic hop bitterness smell as well. What little smell there is, is quite off-putting to me.

T - Again taste is very light, tastes more like an adjunct light lager then a normal lager, I guess that's why it is called extra pale. Pretty much the same generic grain and hop smell, but is also a bit skunky and I know this is not due to light exposure as I am drinking it at night and it was stored fine.

M - Mouthfeel is a little better than your standard adjunct lager. But it still really has no body and feels almost like carbonated water.

D - drinkability is passable. I guess I could drink a good bit of this in one night if I wanted to, but I enjoy the taste of other lagers more, and find the taste of this beer bad in general so I would definitely choose a different lager over this one. Had trouble finishing my pint of it because the taste brought down the drinkability so much.

Overall, I don't see how this beer has a C- average I find it to be worse in the most important ways compared to other lagers taste is bland and skunky I would choose a lot of lagers over this one. As I sat finishing this beer I honesltly had trouble finishing it and though back to a few nights ago when I had some keystone light and how even that is easy to drink and tastes better. I really don't like this beer.

Krevee, May 29, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

This review is based upon an extremely cold bottle of Rolling Rock which was actually so cold it had some ice in it.

A-Bright, fizzy head that lasts longer than expected. It is a straw yellow beer that is translucent.

S-Faint grassy hops, sweet cereal, and some musty generic macro beer aroma.

T-Carbonated water, some grainy flavor, its also got a slight sweetness to it. It is nearly flavorless, I am actually shocked at how little flavor there is. One of the most watered down beers I have ever had. As it warms up the sweet grainy flavor becomes more present.

M-Thin and carbonated.

D-Very drinkable, especially on a hot day or at a bbq this would be a good beer to just sit back and drink with friends.

Overall, I remember this beer having a little more flavor, though it was not a good flavor. This tastes like beer flavored carbonated water. I'm sure there are people out there that swear this was a better product before it was bought out by A.B., but I had it then and I think its just as bad of a product as before. The only difference was it wasn't owned by a huge corporation and hard working people of a small town produced it. I love the bottle and miss the commercials staring Jim Gaffigan but I probably won't be purchasing this again any time soon.

thegodfather2701, May 11, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +30.5%

A: pale straw, crystal clear, great lacing, and a decent head that maintains a film throughout most of the experience.

S: not this brew's strong point. Quite suppressed, this brew's bouquet consists of sweet corn, and a touch of clove.

T: more interesting than most macros, rolling rock is dominated by sweet and creamy corn, with subtle notes of isoamyl acetate (banana) and 4-vinyl guaiacol (clove). I'm guessing that they ferme t over 60' with a yeast other than budweiser's house strain.

M: light, but not crisp. There is a touch of slickness.

D: one of the best $15 30-packs around, rolling rock is definitely a step above its American macro brethren.

Avagadro, May 01, 2010
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.