Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance is a pale yellow gold with a thin head and very light lace. Smell of corny adjunct and grain. Taste doesn't have a whole lot going on, a lightly sweet, corny with a light bitterness at the end. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. Nothing great, but goes down fairly well.

Bookseeb, Jun 29, 2009
1.48/5  rDev -42.9%

Rolling Rock Extra Pale is a clear pale straw color with a a dense white head that dissipates and leaves decent lacing. There's lots of DMS in the aroma with a touch of grassy hops. It's watery and prickly with a watery finish. It tastes funky and a little poisonous. There's a little grassy bitterness at the finish. It's pretty nasty.

yesyouam, Jun 26, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +3.5%

This is a good not great pale ale. The problem is the tradition of Latrobe brewing using corn and rice over malt to brew more cost effectively. You can actually taste the corn in the brew which spoils the maltiness usually present. Overall not a bad beer but not terriblly inexpensive as it was 20 years ago, there are far better choices for the money, Molson Canadian Lager for one and Pabst Blue Ribbon is better as well.

bill93063, Jun 18, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -17%

Pours a very fizzy, very clear, very pale yellow with a soda-looking head of white bubbles, that disappear completely. No body of all in the beer, no lacing. Simply put, it looks absolutely abysmal.

Light funk on the nose, a bit of skunk and cornmeal, some barnyard, a little bit of grassiness. Not crisp, but it does have some recourse to hops. It's not completely odourless, at least.

Not odourless, but, in fact, tasteless. Nothing more than a slight corn-grain sweetness on the palate. The initial carbonation is like a phantom taste, but even this disappears very quickly, leaving my mouth wondering whether I actually swallowed anything at all. No aftertaste.

In a word: swill. Actually, swill probably has more character. Undeniably easy to drink, but undeniably depressing to drink as well. This is everything bad about American beer. Had it not been free I would be hitting myself over the head as penance for purchasing it about now.

lacqueredmouse, Jun 06, 2009
1.73/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured a bottle into a mug.

Appearance: Golden clear, with small head that dissipates really fast.

Smell: Some corn, but a little skunky smell.

Taste: No aftertaste, not much flavor at all. A little of a skunky taste that I think is lingering from the odor.

Mouthfeel: Thin and slightly carbonated. Not much texture.

Drinkability: Not good at all. Do not drink this unless you have to.

Unfortunately, I bought a six-pack to try this beer, so I have to drink it. Wish me luck.

civilizedpsycho, May 28, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

a- bottle poured into a pint, 2 inch fluffy head, decent lacing, light straw color, nice looking.

s- very light smelling, little corn, slight grassy notes.

t- very mild adjunct taste, little bit of sweetness, no bitter taste, better than i remember.

m- decent mouthfeel, not overly carbonated.

d- goes down easy, very drinkable, more so than other adjuncts.

thecarster1, May 23, 2009

I had this beer and wondered if it would be like I remembered it. Actually I don't really remember it, so I have no idea. I just remember it being not all that great or bad. Pours a golden/yellow color with no head. Leaves no lacing. Smells faintly of grains and maybe grass. Tastes very clean. No sweetness or bitterness, just a lot of carbonation and some faint grain character. It drinks easy, but theres not much else to say about it.

drunkboxer1, May 23, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I used to drink these when I was trying to break out of my BMC habits years ago. Its not good but better than BMC.

appearance: light yellow, to basically clear, even more clear than others

smell: slight hops to almost zero smell

taste: Little to none, clear refresher

mouthfeel: very high carbonation

drinkability: very easy. only good for long hot days.

CampusCrew, May 19, 2009
3.25/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. No best by markings on bottle.

A: Pale coloring with surprisingly large head that did quickly dissipate. High carbonation apparent. Solid looking.

S: Malty, cereal tones coming from nose. A little sweet smelling.

T & M: I bought this on a whim and was glad I did. I hadn't drank Rolling Rock since my early 20's and I remember not really caring for it at that time. I now find this to be a solid lager with a slightly off balance tilt to the malt. There is still some crispness in the finish, mouthfeel on the thin side but the carbonation is just right.

D: Highly drinkable, if it is on sale I would buy again but with it being priced higher that Bud typically would pick it over Bud if I wanted something light and basic.

elniko, May 11, 2009
2.68/5  rDev +3.5%

From the 1 pint can 09098-HD82. Sampled on May 9, 2009. The pour is your basic American pale yellow with a ridiculous amount of puffy white head that bubbles and pops until it is all diminished. Constant carbonation. The aroma has that grassy but slightly hopped scent that comes with these kinds of brews. The mouthfeel is rather watered down. The taste is actually the best part of the beer with that faintly malted and hopped mix that allows you to pound these down one after another. When I drink this one I tend to drink from the can rather than the skunked green bottle.

puboflyons, May 09, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pale golden color with a decent amount of white head and pretty good carbonation.

S: Slight maltiness without too much of the adjunct coming through.

T: Mostly adjuncts with some hints of sweetness--almost a little bit of apple cider comes through.

M: Light with okay amounts of carbonation. Sort of a strange finish to this one.

D: More refreshing than a lot of macros, so long as you drink it when it's quite cold. No not attempt to drink after it has warmed up.

Thorpe429, May 02, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a very light yellow with a really thin white head. No lacing.

The smell is a muted corn flavor. Some grainy, earthy feel as well.

The taste is pretty much the same. More corn flavor with a little yeast flavor as well.

This beer was very light, was a bit too light for my taste but a nice crisp beer is always has a place. Would be really good to have in between heavier beers for is refreshing flavor.

Duhast500, May 01, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer looks like a straw yellow when you decide to pour it.

DONT ACTUALLY DO THAT

S: Smells like a standard corny beer no distinctiveness to it my any means.

T: the taste is ok i guess... i mean theres not too much flavor going on... but not too much bad flavor going on. I guess it beats your standard macro brew at taste by a slim margin.

m: The mouthfeel. It's almost like i have water im my mouth.

D: I can drink a billion of these things in a night.... doesnt make a good beer though.

jaytwo, Apr 30, 2009

From a 7 ounce Rolling Rock pony bottle.

RR poured a one finger head which quickly disipated. Light golden yellow color.

Grainy, husky smell. Corn flavor, crispy drink, sort of dry. Drinkability is fine. Macro type lager. Formerly (for now) a PA corn/macro type beer. I always found this to be a beer brought out strong feelings for or against this beer. Use to be a Western PA local beer but in other parts a premium beer which is an unlikely combo. Dont notice any real change from Latrobe to Bud.

lionking, Apr 27, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +12%

Some one left some of these in the fridge after a party. Since I had to mow the lawn, I thought I would see how this does as a lawnmower beer.

12 oz bottle, poured into a tall shaker glass. Tall white head that is quick to disappear. No lacing, color is a clear straw yellow. For being "Extra Pale" I've seen paler. Very active carbonation.

Smell is very faint whiff of veggies. A little corn husk to dry things out. Taste is very mild and watered down. A little peppery kiss from the hops and yeast.

Light, crisp and mostly refreshing.

Blipped "I Wanna Rock" by Twisted Sister

bort11, Apr 25, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

All this RR talk on the forum this weekend made me crave some 'ol 33. We used to get kegs of this shiznit for $28 back in the day. It made for great party beer. Guess I outgrew the stuff and nowadays I don't even think about grabbin' a sixer. It pours pale yellow and clear. Spot on. Smell is light, with notes of DMS and cereal grains. It tastes worse than memory serves, but palates change over time. Sweet and grainy, no hops to speak of. Tastes like a near beer in all honesty. Mouthfeel is light, but a little dull. Its not zesty, or crisp, or anything really. I had one, saluted yesteryear and turned the page.

dude, Apr 13, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

This one is a light golden amber color. The head pours a bit thinly but lacing does actually cling a little.
There's lots of corn in the smell, along with something herbal, light grains and a very light malt.
The taste is a little thin and pretty weak. The taste is mostly what you pick up in the smell. Something a little metallic lingers, though. Hops does make itself known, however, albeit briefly.
The body is very light and carbonation is what you'd expect from seltzer. A little too active.
Well...I've had worse. Nothing exciting but I didn't hate it.

Brenden, Apr 12, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -17%

poured from a tall green pint can

A: florescent yellow with a plethora of silvery bubbles working the sides of the glass, a near clear in complexion. A typical thin, foamed, airy, bright white cap with not a blotch or streak left in the glass

S: grains of corn, wheat, and barley. Some metallic whiffs paired with a few blades of fresh cut grass and a sprinkling of sugar

T: taste exemplifies the nose with the various grains taking a dry, clean, and almost nutty feel on the tongue. Has a traditional adjunct/macro sourness that I am akin too.

M: refreshing at best, incredibly light on the tongue

D: I never know how to post some of these types of beer. I don't mind them, usually don't pass them up when offered, and yet I don't drink them on a consistent basis. Rolling Rock is, I guess, one of the few that I don't mind...maybe?

Magpie14, Apr 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours very pale yellow with lots of carbonation and white foam. Aroma basically of nothing.. a little sweetness and no hop character. Taste is very thin. Really meant to be just a purely drinkable and refreshing beer. Nothing complicated or flawed about it. Probably one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had. We bought a keg for only $60 for a BBQ and it was perfect for it. Very seltzer like carbonation and taste. If American adjunct lager = drinkable, clean tasting and refreshing then this is what I'm looking for. Otherwise it doesn't really remind me of being beer.

wiseguy142, Mar 30, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Went all old school on Saturday when we ordered a round of tallboy cans at a bar in Allston. This was my buddies' beer of choice at this place back in college. Ah, memories....
OK, this beer's not so bad. Not much smell. Fizzy and yellow in appearance. Very grapefruity taste. Not much flavor otherwise. Goes down pretty easy. Light and fairly smooth. For what it is, it's not horrible. Better than a Bud Light, in my mind.

morebeergood, Mar 22, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +12%

This beer isn't all that bad. Granted it pours a boring yellow, has not head, and smells like grains. BUT the taste isn't too terrible...for a macro. It's smoother than BMC products and has a little maltier taste, not just corns and grains. Cheap enough to buy a ton at a time and good for just hanging around after you've had some quality micros.

VaTechHopHead, Mar 13, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottle sampled at a party...
Clear fluid, not much going on in the pour... Some carbonation... No head nor lacing...
Corn and grains on the nose...
Crisp, clean, water-light taste... Lacking flavor and substance...
Nothing special here...
Typical macro...
Not recommended...

dsa7783, Mar 13, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -17%

This used to be one of my go to's as a youth.
The only thing positive i can say about it today is that the painted old school bottle is cool.
I do however put this above the other macros.

This pours a very light straw color with very little head.
Smells grainy and almost skunky with Corn and yeast.

This beer has 2 different flavors.
When ice cold, it's actually quite drinkable and refreshing on a summer day.
When the beer warms up the skunky flavor really comes through to the point its almost undrinkable.
This isn't the worst beer out there. But there are definitely a lot better.

BigMike, Mar 09, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +10%

This beer is pretty drinkable, but that is all it has going for it. There is simply nothing there that I can pinpoint and say, "You know, that is nice." It is completely underwhelming, with no nice finish and a boring appearance. I was excited when I bought this because of all I have heard about it, but I was just disappointed upon drinking it.

JesseP09, Mar 05, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

I am not really a fan of this type of beer, but I approached rolling rock with an open mind, having been recommended that it is one of the better beers of this type. I would agree; this beats bud or coors or miller or whatever else macrocrap, but RR cannot stand by itself when measured against real beers.

Appearance - Umm... well... it rather resembles weak urine. There's very little head. It is so pale that it is rather un-enticing.

Smell - Ugh, the smell of every nasty beer I ever consumed at every nasty frat party I ever attended. Certainly not hops or malt.

Taste - Weak, and not only is it weak but I cannot detect a trace of hops, and the 'malt' taste isn't really malty, probably because it's adjunct, not malt.

Mouthfeel - Crisp. It goes down smooth at least.

Drinkability - I'm sure if I wanted to 'get fucked up man!' I could down a bunch of these really fast and then puke and pass out. Considering I don't drink beer for that purpose, the drinkability is low because for me to want to drink more it must be sensually pleasing.

BacklitAvenger, Feb 20, 2009
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.