Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
1.43/5  rDev -44.8%

Eye: If a nurse at a hospital in the urology lab were to carbonate urine samples they would probably look much like this "beer" in my glass. The head, having at least some retention and lacing looks more like rat saliva than beer foam.

Nose: Weak! Wow what shit this is! Ha, doesn't even smell like beer. First off I expected there to be no hops, but where there should be malt there is a chemical aroma. I mean sure its not mustard gas, but it seems unnatural to me. I mean this is something I'm going to drink! Smells more like the chemical waste infected pond inhabited by dead carp next to a Charleston, West Virginia power plant....And yes I can talk, I was born there....maybe that explains this third nipple...hmmm?

Tongue: Bought this to go with the Pizza I was eating last night, it went alright with it, then again I was also eating hot wings so my taste buds were prolly dead to this beer's taste. Flavor? What flavor? Rice, rice, and more rice. I could swear this beer is more of a sake than a beer. Last I checked beer was made from barley and sake from rice. I mean this beer has to be about a 50-50 split. Besides the rice you can actually taste the water. I won't lie, it is good clean water, nice and refreshing, like rain. However, I was looking for a refreshing beer, not water....Shouldn't have looked here. Wow, the bottle should read "Rolling Rock Extra Flavorless and Shitty." Its pretty damn hard to get less flavor than Bud but here we have it. No wonder why the "painted label" is advertised more than the beer. Hey if the bottle doesn't have a cheap paper label then the beer inside must be good!

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Intriguing-though the beer looks as if the carbonation itself is trying to escape this God awful beverage....it wishes no more to be in that beer than I wish that beer to be within my sight, it knows it damned to the CO2 beer hell....poor little carbonation bubbles...anyway, the beer seems to the point where it is on its way to going flat, low carbonation for the style. Exta Pale, Extra light, Extra water. Easy as hell to drink, but I won't be drinking this again less I want to be like a high class Herb, Frat Boy, Fratty and drink this prized possession only on special occasions to get drunk, cause we all know that this is one hell of a beer.

becktone, Dec 31, 2007
2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Extremely pale. Lots of visible carbonation. Medium white head which recedes quickly. Aroma is grassy hops with some sweetness. Little taste to speak of. Sweet again with a touch of herbal hops. Not offensive or bad- just not much at all. Light watery mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable. Pretty standard macro overall.

burnstar, Dec 30, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +42.9%

I drank tons of this beer over pizza with friends when I was getting my bachelor's degree, and nostalgia definitely plays a part in why I still drink this beer. It's not all nostalgia, however, as it really is pretty good. Not every beer has to be a huge hop monster, or a deeply complex Tripel. Sometimes you just want a pleasant tasting, light, refreshing, easy to drink beer, and Rolling Rock always pleases, in this regard. It's not Chimay or La Fin Du Monde, but that just isn't what this kind of beer is trying to be. A keeper beer, in my opinion.

EdipisReks, Dec 29, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +26.6%

I was not that impressed with this beer. Overall it is fairly light but at the same time it has a skunky aftertaste to it. Not the worst beer I have had but surely one that might be on a list of last choices to drink. Overall it was not very expensive, more expensive than Bud, but cheaper than Corona.

skeetermoses, Dec 23, 2007
2.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, pours very pale yellow with a small white head. smell is hardly detectable just a slight aroma of sweet malts and grain. taste is pretty bland just a typical macro lager. this is a very light and easy to drink beer.

jayfarley3, Dec 10, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +5.4%

This beer is a decent macro. Its, believe it or not, very refreshing. just to clean my palate with a little watered down brew is nice everyone in a while. This beer is not by any means impressive but its a nice, let your hair down, kind of beer.

Overall its worth a try but if you want quality and taste look else where. If you are looking to get drunk and drink fast this is right up the college alley.

Enjoy

iconoklaztor, Nov 28, 2007

This beer poured a pale yellow that appeared very thin and had a medium head that dissipated after a bit.

The smell was faint, with aromas of... well, not alot. Mostly corn, some slight malt, and some slight hops. The taste was very thin and had some adjunct flavor of corn to it, with a thin maltiness and barely any hops. The body was thin overall. The mouthfeel was thin in consistency and had a medium carbonation.

Overall, there's not alot to this beer, but not alot wrong with it either. I've certainly had worse macro lagers, so I don' think this one is too bad. If kept cold, it's crisp and refreshing, and easilly drinkable. If you enjoy macros, give it a try.

jdmorgan, Nov 05, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Sorry but this following comment is in french :

Appearance : pils de belle allure, cristaline, bien saturée en bulles fines, mousse blanche peu serrée
Smell : arôme discrèt
Taste and mouthfeel : saveur trop discrète, légére
Drinkability : bière avec peu de personnalité, mais très rafraîchissante

thierrynantes, Oct 31, 2007
3.3/5  rDev +27.4%

Appearance: Pale yellow, quick dissipating head.

Smell: Faint hops, minerals.

Taste: Very light hop and malt character.

Mouthfeel: Light with a crisp finish. Satisfying for a lighter beer.

Drinkability: Not a bad beer for a change of pace. A lighter macro.

SargeC, Oct 28, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

Pours a very clear yellow with a short white head. The smell is very pale, like it says. Not much going on except hints of very light malts. The aftertaste is a bit bitter. The malt does not really hide the bitter hops aftertaste, and not a good hoppy aftertaste. Almost skunk like in nature. The carbonation is nice, but thats the only saving factor. If drinking with hot and spicy food, not bad, but other than that, not too good.

erosier, Oct 17, 2007
3.48/5  rDev +34.4%

Got this with my food for dinner, Never had it and thought it'd be worth a try.

It looked pretty average for a macro, smelled much the same, lots of adjunct corny goodness. Flavor was a little interesting, a bit sweet actually, not offensive, rather smooth in fact. I could drink these all night.

Overall I'd say a very simple easy drinking lager, I didn't mind it. I don't think I would go out of my way to get this but if offered I don't think I'd turn it down.

funkengruven, Sep 29, 2007
2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

bought at local grocer. 12 oz. bottle to pint glass. pale yellow you can see through. one finger white head. looks like a "light" beer. you can almost see that there will not be a lot of flavor.

get a yeasty citrus smell. follows style. no off odors.

not a lot going on with the taste. a little light maltiness. balanced taste? not a lot to balance.

nice carbonation. light bodied. a little brussels lace.

a run of the mill light beer. when you are in the mood for about a hundred beers, this will do. prefer this over bud/miller. i drink only in summer. great cheap warm weather beer.

ajmoody76, Sep 25, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +36.3%

Pours a pale straw color with a minimum of head, even after pouring into the middle of the glass. What was there faded to a microthin layer. Smells a little yeasty, and a lot estery/fruity. The taste is smooth and a little sweet and fruity, some pear and a little passionfruit. There's also just enough bitterness there to finish clean, but I'm not detecting any hop flavor. Mouthfeel is fairly thick, with some tingling on the tongue, not bad. Overall, a very drinkable beer, especially for a hot day, I think.

Kulrak, Sep 17, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +10%

This is one of several lagers I had to endure this weekend. This was one of the better ones and it had a crisp taste to it and was pretty easy to throw a couple of these back. I wouldn't seek this beer out by any means but if it's a place where this is one of a few choices you could do worse

meechum, Sep 16, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I think I am somewhat partial on this beer. It probably is just an old favorite to me because I always found it a little different than all the other popularly available beers out there when I came of drinking age in the 70's. With my now wiser tastes in beer, Rolling Rock does seem well off from the truly quality brews available in today's marketplace, but I still hold a fondness for the taste of this unique offering. It is a clear light gold color with lively carbonation notable and a fair sudsy white head. There is some modest lacing. It smells like liquid cereal/grain. Not terribly complex. The flavor is uniquely suggestive of corn, crisp and tastefully sweet and somewhat dry. It leaves a mild bitterness in the back of the mouth. It is well carbonated and is generally quite refreshing. A light lager but still carrying a solid flavor that accents this odd corn flavor as I like to describe it. I think this is what typically turns the average drinker away. I know few admirers of Rolling Rock yet Busch bought it for some good reason (maybe the light beer?). I remain a minor fan although not sure I can entirely defend that position. A shame to have RR leave Latrobe.

Durge, Sep 11, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -10%

Very light in appearance, "extra pale" as the name suggests, with large-sized bubbles from carbonation. Little head with little retention. Hard to detect aroma. Taste is strange... somewhat floral, though not as interesting as that sounds. Very light mouthfeel, leaving a slight bitter aftertaste, though again not at all intriguing. If I'm having a macro lager, I don't know that I'd choose this one.

xgabe, Sep 04, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale yellow color with a nice head that leaves some lacing. Aroma is sweet and there's little if any skunk.Taste is the typical macro lager. Not too sweet with some residual bitterness at the back of the tongue. Just nothing impressive but nothing bad either.

Brad007, Aug 22, 2007
2.35/5  rDev -9.3%

American Pale Lagers or Macro-lager is pretty much a beer group that is for people that like to get drunk, but do not enjoy the flavor of beer. This is better than Bud or Miller, but nothing that you are going to really enjoy or savor. This beer is made for pounding one after another. No remarkable characteristics with this beer. Kind of skunky overly carbonated. Watery.

biggmike, Aug 14, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

One in a series of “beer under $6” reviews. This clocks in at $5.29 from the local grocery.

Clear, pale, pale gold with a 1/2 inch white head then settles down quickly to a thin film. Good lacing though. No detectable smell. Flavor was a combination of light malt and (other) grainy sweetness; doesn't come on strong or to adjuncty Hops are up front but drop out by the finish and aftertaste. Lingering sweetness. Nice crispness that reminds me of the carbonation of some (hard) ciders. I’m actually giving this a good for drinkability. The taste is light and clean, but it’s a good beer as a BMC alternative (yes, I know AB just bought it) for backyards and maybe something to bring over to BMC-loving acquaintances that you’re not trying to impress (i.e. by bringing a solid micro instead of this.)

If there are any strikes against it it’s that they use green bottles (yes, I know that Rolling Rock's history is tied to the green bottle) and the 6-er gets packed the standard way (instead of covered to keep light out.) I did notice, however, that the 12-er comes in a box. The other said thing is to see "St. Louis , Mo."on the bottle where "Latrobe, PA" used to be.

wcdoyle, Aug 07, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle from the B-Side Liquor Lounge on Coventry, Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

Appearance: Pours a pale golden straw color in a pint glass. Big white head fades quickly.

Smell: Sweet malt, corn and... is that banana?

Taste: Sweet grain with something sour that I don't think is hops.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery but it finishes crisp.

Drinkability: Not too bad, all things considered.

Slar211, Jul 11, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +1.5%

A step above the big BMC’s, although I understand this is now affiliated with A-B, so that may change. The most intriguing thing about this beer is the ’33’ on the back of the green bottle. Besides that, it is a typical American Pale Lager, with little aroma or flavor, and a finish that is thrist quenching if drunk cold on a hot day, but not much beyond this. Fortunately, it also did not have the grainy aroma of many BMC’s, which is why I rated it slightly higher.

kimcgolf, Jul 08, 2007
1.9/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured cold into a pilsner glass.
A - Golden, light straw colored with a snow white head that creates spider web like lace.
A steady stream of bubbles continues indicating a fully carbonated lager.

S - A bit like cooked vegetables, mostly adjunct filled aroma, grassy.

M - Like a mouthful of Alka seltzer. Cleansing and overly effervescent, only mildly sweet.

T - So crisp and carbonated it takes a few minutes to actually taste anything.I remember this as one of the beers of my younger years. I was given one at 16 and remember it as tasting better, but palates evolve. I am not sure if A-B changed the recipe, but it seems like it isn't "the same as it ever was"

D- Maybe a good choice to cleanse your palate or cool off with after mowing lawns, but not very drinkable overall. It just has the light sugar and rice or corn taste you don't want to taste repeatedly.

Slatetank, Jul 04, 2007
2.98/5  rDev +15.1%

i really like this beer. certainly has a diff taste to it. good for the cookouts when you are tired of the same ol same ol.

i would buy it more if it was easier to find.

good taste/different. great for parties. i purchased a bunch of this for our St Patties day partay. it was fun - and easy being green!

"Beer is proof that God loves man." Ben Franklin

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

giblet, Jun 26, 2007
2.6/5  rDev +0.4%

Had this for free on my recent vacation to Florida as there were several bottles of it sitting in the fridge when we arrived. I hadn't had Rolling Rock in over a year and this was my first time having it since A-B started brewing it. A 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass/tumbler. This beer pours a clear, fairly light golden color. White head was about 1/4 inch when poured. It settled pretty quickly to a thin surface cover with a thin white ring lining the inside of my glass. Some very uninteresting corn and light malt aromas were present and not much else. The taste comprises of some slightly sweet and uninteresting malt notes and some corn or other vegetable abstract rounded out by a small hints of hops. The mouthfeel is quite crisp with a light to medium body and surprisingly fairly heavy carbonation. It was easy to drink, but not in the way a good beer should be. It is more like drinking seltzer water than beer now IMO. Shame on you A-B for degrading the quality of and almost totally ruining what was once a pretty decent American Macro Lager!

Eric

neenerzig, Jun 24, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this at my local Moe's tonight along with a steak Homewrecker Burrito. It complemented the spicy flavors of the burrito quite well, but I think the appeal was due to the fact that it made me want to eat more. After I was done with the burrito, the beer became much harder to drink, taking on a very sour taste and skunky smell. I think if this beer were consistently cold it would be great, but it gets difficult to finish after even 15 minutes with the stuff...

BucBasil, Jun 24, 2007
Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.