Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev +24.7%

Like the poster before me, I'm actually a big fan of the Angry Videogame Nerd, so this beer for me is a throwback to before I knew a lot about beer. I picked it up simply because someone who entertained me enjoyed is so I might as well.

Honeslty, I still pick these up from time to time. They're a guilty pleasure, but as far as beers go they're not anything overly impressive. Average is the word that comes to mind. It's a decent beer for the sake of simple refreshment if they're onhand and you've been working up a sweat.

As far as smell goes, I would say this is perhaps the beer's best feature. It is a light smell, not a lot to it, but what I detected was a pleasant wheatiness. It was just a little floral.

The appearance is frankly undewhealming, but I get the impression this drink is meant to stay in the bottle. They likely try to hide it behind a pretty green bottle. It appears thin on inspection, very pale.

The taste is inoffensive. Though it's not a craft beer per se I would suggest this if you have friends you're trying to convert from Bud, Miller, or Coors. It's a good jumping point between the tasteless macrobrews and better microbrews. The taste itself mostly indicates it's primary ingredients. There is more of the grain's taste to it, along with a bit of that floral detected in the nose.

Mouth feel is carbonated. I can't really say much else. It's like drinking sprite.

Overall, it's highly drinkable, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's -great-. It's like the sitcom of beers. You can sit down and enjoy it without having to really think to hard on it. As reflected in my scores, I'd say it hovers around the range of average.

1.9/5  rDev -26.6%

I am a fan of James Rolfe's Angry Video Game Nerd who frequently uses this beer as a prop so I decided to give this beer a chance. I was not to terribly impressed.

Appearance: The bottle is green and the contents are definitely pale as the liquid barely gives a slight golden tint to the glass.

Smell: The beer was relatively odorless besides some faint skunk.

Taste: Here is the beer's real weakness, after taking a sip I have to admit that I did not taste much of anything. I realize that is a trademark of Adjunct Lager but still upon initial contact with my mouth there was some very slight malt and then as I rolled it around my mouth I tasted nothing, no malts, no hops, nothing.

Mouthfeel: Went down like water. This is the part of beer that I take the least amount of consideration in and the wateriness just reminds me of how much I did not like this beer.

Drinkability: Went down easy enough and had an ABV under 5% so one could drink it all night. But why? I personally would pour it out.

2.95/5  rDev +13.9%

A- clear yellowish color, almost no head

S- Crisp, but watery, very very slight hint of hops

T- Crisp, but watery

M- Almost no carbonation, watery

D- This is a beer that I really used to enjoy before I started drinking local craft beers. Coming back, it is a decent beer to have at a party, and you could drink several in one sitting.

A decent "cheap" beer alternative

2.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Two fingers fizzy, yet fluffy, bone white head... Moderate retention... A pale light lemony yellow color... A modest amount of slow to moderate paced carbonation... As translucent a beer as I've ever seen...

S - A very muted, yet pleasant aroma, especially by adjunct lager standards... Sweet malts... Corn... Grains... Apple... A vague hop presence... However, you almost need to put your nose completely into the beer to pick-up these scents..

T - Clean... While there is nothing that stands out, there is almost as importantly nothing as off putting as is often the case with adjunct lagers...

M - Crisp... Light to medium bodied... Clean... Good carbonation... Goes down quite easy...

D - On of the more drinkable adjunct lagers... Many are off putting in one way or another... While there is nothing notable, there is nothing wrong with it either... When my option are limited, I wouldn't hesitate to drink a Rolling Rock in the future...

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Rolling Rock is obviously not one of the world's greatest beers. That being said, you have to try Rolling Rock at least once. It's the first beer I drank on a regular basis (I've moved on to other beers since). You have to love the classic-looking green bottle of Rolling Rock. Since drinking other beers, my only complaint is that Rolling Rock is a bit skunky in taste.

3.85/5  rDev +48.6%

I like that it is a Smooth drinkable beer, very light tasting. My wife's comment was "I could drink this stuff to fast". If you don't like the nasty taste of most beers, you will enjoy this one. I think it's a great beer for the summer time.

3.75/5  rDev +44.8%

Got this when I went down to the States a while ago. Good beer. I love trying new beer, especially when I'm out of town.

A- Typical pale ale look.

S- Slight apple smell is the dominant one here. A bit of hops too.

T- The apple comes in again. You have to let your tongue lead you a bit if you are able to taste it. Slight hops.

M- Light and thin.

D- A very light tasting beer. Easy to drink. IIRC it's only 4.6% so that might be why as well.

1.2/5  rDev -53.7%

The style of this beer says it all, "American Adjunct Lager". They'll put anything in here except for quality ingredients.

A - Typical pale straw fizzy yellow. Maybe some small head formation.

S - Not much in the nose with this one. Maybe some stale rice or corn, but not much else.

T - There's an apparent attempt at hops, but it fails miserably.

M - Little bubbles dacing on my tongue, but rather thin and watery.

D - Not drinkable at all. Drain pour.

2.63/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Deceiving, when reading the label one would assume it is a pale ale, but it tastes more like Bud Light.

Has a light see through color and a tiny head.
Smells a bit skunky, may not be the freshest but I have not had one that smells other than this.
Tastes like a domestic brand like Budweiser or Miller. A bit better though.

I would not buy this unless it was for family :P.

2.48/5  rDev -4.2%

Look: Poured 12 oz can into pint glass. No foam what so ever, corn yellow color.

Smell: Not so much except skunk, corn, and water.

Taste: Just like smell not much except corn and water, where is the beer taste in this one.

Mouthfeel: Not much pretty dry not a thirst quencher.

Drinkability: Its ok better than all of the aspects of this beer, and it tastes better out of a can.

4.18/5  rDev +61.4%

Beer made with water from the mountain, the clearest beer i've tested.

A: Extra pale yellow color, the foamy head is thin but never disappear;

S: Mild, slightly tart and very refreshing, like spring water;

T: Excellent, earth hops with scents of capers and olives;

M: Dry, medium bitterness, almost no carbonation;

D: Very very good american beer.

2.45/5  rDev -5.4%

a- Very pale, just like the bottle says. clear yellowish

s- Stale smelling. A little hop aroma, but not too much

t- Ever since AB brought them out, RR just hasn't been the same. It used to taste pretty good, even for a very pale beer, but now, it just tasted mass produced. No complexity whatsoever. Lack of hops. Lack of Taste. Lack of respect for what the beer once was.

m-watery, with a little too much carbonation

d- a little tough to force down since the buyout. not as smooth as it used to be

3.4/5  rDev +31.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: very pale straw color with practically no head at all. Less than average, even for an adjunct lager.

Smell: sweet grain with a little malt. Not bad; better than a lot of other beers of this style.

Taste: well, it is certainly "extra pale" without a whole lot of taste. Then again, it is not really bad at all ... a lot of other beers of this style manage to have very little taste and yet still be pretty nasty. I'll call it above average.

Mouthfeel: fizzy with not a lot of body. Typical.

Drinkability: I must be honest that this beer is a well-known presence at my band practice nights. When you want to just stay hydrated while jamming and maybe catch a light buzz, this is the stuff.

2.73/5  rDev +5.4%

Pretty plain-jane. Very light color a real pale yellow. Highly carbonated but not a real rich head. Smell is unremarkable, almost a little stale. Taste is not that great, but it drinks crisp and has a light mouthfeel. Nothing really "jumps out" at you to seperate Rolling Rock from anything else out there. It was a big drink back in college in the Northeast because of price and the fact that it's pretty light. I wouldn't rush out to buy a six-pack given the other choices available.

1.7/5  rDev -34.4%

It pours a sraw yellow with about an inch of foam.

The smell is weak with just some hop bitterness and very light graininess poking through.

The taste is also very light. A bit of grain, some slight sweetness and slight bitterness, very little going on. It kind of has a vegetal taste to it also and that does not help. The finish is so close to watery that it scares me.

Very light bodied with medium carbonation, the foam is quickly disappearing at this point but it doesn't matter much as this is not a joy to drink at all. At over $7 a six pack, it isn't even a bargain brew.

With so many better options out there, even of the "macro" type, this is a very poor option indeed.

3.05/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Pours a very pale yellow color with a nice white head.

S: Smells sweet like grains, but there is a hint of hops in there as well.

T: Taste is very light. With a touch of hops along with a taste of grains.

M: Mouthfeel is typical of the style with very high carbonation.

D: This beer is pretty drinkable, I could have about 10.

2.78/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appearance is a very clear pale yellow gold color,with a white foamy head that dissipated into nothing in a short time. Pretty much no lacing.

Smell is very minimal, basically metallic and slightly grainy.

Taste is better than the smell would lead me to think. A little bit of grain and minuscule hops. Pretty clean but nothing impressive complexity wise.

Mouthfeel is slightly crisp with carbonation. Its decently smooth and has no aftertaste to speak of.

Drinkablilty is not bad. Its nothing to write home about but something that would make a decent session beer. I consider this my stand-by beer for when I'm in a pinch.

2.6/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From bottle to shaker glass Aug 14, 2009. Pours light clear yellow with light white head, mostly diminishing. Little lacing throughout. Okay taste, but not much more than a light corn taste with a bit of sweetness, slightly bitter at the finish. Easy for a session beer, but the beer is not quite as good as the bottle! Love the bottle - kind of like Mountain Dew!

3.65/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Even us true advocates sometimes despite our best intentions develop a weakness for a beer of the lower order... and Rolling Rock certainly is just that, it lacks body, flavor and complexity, however i must say on a hot day i thoroughly enjoy putting several of these back, its refreshing, light and goes down like its mouthfeel would suggest, like water if you poured this beer into a glass you would find it boring and pale looking with pathetic lacing, however my friends; i suggest you just twist off the cap and enjoy yourself the bottle is much better looking than the beer itself

1.78/5  rDev -31.3%

A long, long time ago, I enjoyed an abundance of these with some friends on an out of town excursion. Don't ask me why, but I put it up to juvenile naivete. This is an awful beer. With a faint, weak/pale appearance, Rolling Rock pours like any other macro lager -- light and basically devoid of taste. The hint of fizziness/carbonation is appalling, and this tastes like a beer-flavored water beverage. Not even on a sweltering summer day while mowing the lawn would I ingest another one of these. Yuck.

2.73/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thin white foam that quickly recedes to nothing.

S- Tiny hints of corn and cooked cereal. A touch of grain and tiny 'whiff' of hops.

T- Some mild bitterness and the finish is all corn flavored. A clean flavor if nothing else.

M- Light bodied with high carbonation. Clean and crisp although the flavor isn't really that impressive.

D- It is what it is. A decent 'Adjunct Lager' that won't wow anyone with RIS/DIPA tastes. It is however fairly smooth and easy drinking.

2.65/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer appears very clean with a head that quickly dissipates, yet small trails of carbonation remain. Little to no lacing is left behind. As for color, it is fairly clear and very inviting.

There is little to no smell other than a slightly metallic odor, some other corn-like smells begin to emerge as this beer warms up. Not very impressive.

Most of the flavor of this beer is from the carbonation, there is very little hops present. When served cold there are only flavors more resembling that of club soda. However, when served slightly chilled there are small flavors of malt, just not quite enough.

The mouth-feel is very pleasant if the beer is left to sit a few minutes after leaving the fridge with the top off. This beer needs to let the carbonation dissipate before consuming, doing so makes this beer feel light and surprisingly refreshing.

With these things said, the drinkability of this beer is overall decent. If you pull one out of the cooler, open it, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then drink it; you will be quite surprised. This definitely isn't a great beer, but it will do.

2.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Some joker brought a sixer of this to my party, where there was Southern Tier Unearthly & Rush River Unforgiven on tap. And left without drinking any. Ha ha, funny guy! I think I know who you are, punk!

Anyways. I'm loathe to review this. Even in college, this was always a beer I'd stick a lemon or lime in to try to kill of some of the, ah, taste. But it's here. I'm here. My Twins just coughed up four runs in the first inning to the Royals, my car's in the shop, I have water damage in the basement, & my daughter has pink eye. Bring on the fuckin' Rolling Rock!

Yellow like taking a piss just before it turns completely clear. Ring of soap scum around the edge of the glass. I'm letting my past influence this, huh? Tough. Smells just like the floor of First Avenue in Minneapolis.

Well, hell. It's not as bad as I remember. For a macro that smells terrible, the taste is almost palatable. It still isn't good, but it's not the road-kill skunk I recall. Maybe it was the locales. Or the company.

Drinkability? No thank you. And it's getting more fragrant & less inviting as it warms.

Not a good beer. At the risk of sounding snobbish, if my choice is Old Latrobe or apple juice, I'll be happy to grab a cardboard container of Juicy Juice.

2.53/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

had this a a barb-b que last night..it was this or bud so i picked this one this was just yellow water with a white head the taste was faint biscuit a little grass and a skunky aftertaste i guess if you are eating alot of hot foods or just finished digging a ditch or mowing the lawn you could drink it..but really how does this stay on the shelves at the store who buys this?

3.03/5  rDev +17%

From a green 12 oz. bottle. Pours a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Aroma is very faint, slight hint of malts. Crisp taste but otherwise flavorless. Not much to this beer. Feels o.k. in the mouth. Very drinkable, godd for drinking games. Overall a mediocore

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.