Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
1.78/5  rDev -31%

Drank 5/28/10
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a light clear straw yellow, maybe a point or two higher SRM then your standard adjunct lager. Smallish head on a fairly aggressive pour that faded within a minute or two. Very little lacing left as I drank this beer.

S - Really very little smell to this beer. Smells more like a light lager than anything else. Faint generic grain/rice smell, with some generic hop bitterness smell as well. What little smell there is, is quite off-putting to me.

T - Again taste is very light, tastes more like an adjunct light lager then a normal lager, I guess that's why it is called extra pale. Pretty much the same generic grain and hop smell, but is also a bit skunky and I know this is not due to light exposure as I am drinking it at night and it was stored fine.

M - Mouthfeel is a little better than your standard adjunct lager. But it still really has no body and feels almost like carbonated water.

D - drinkability is passable. I guess I could drink a good bit of this in one night if I wanted to, but I enjoy the taste of other lagers more, and find the taste of this beer bad in general so I would definitely choose a different lager over this one. Had trouble finishing my pint of it because the taste brought down the drinkability so much.

Overall, I don't see how this beer has a C- average I find it to be worse in the most important ways compared to other lagers taste is bland and skunky I would choose a lot of lagers over this one. As I sat finishing this beer I honesltly had trouble finishing it and though back to a few nights ago when I had some keystone light and how even that is easy to drink and tastes better. I really don't like this beer.

3.09/5  rDev +19.8%

This review is based upon an extremely cold bottle of Rolling Rock which was actually so cold it had some ice in it.

A-Bright, fizzy head that lasts longer than expected. It is a straw yellow beer that is translucent.

S-Faint grassy hops, sweet cereal, and some musty generic macro beer aroma.

T-Carbonated water, some grainy flavor, its also got a slight sweetness to it. It is nearly flavorless, I am actually shocked at how little flavor there is. One of the most watered down beers I have ever had. As it warms up the sweet grainy flavor becomes more present.

M-Thin and carbonated.

D-Very drinkable, especially on a hot day or at a bbq this would be a good beer to just sit back and drink with friends.

Overall, I remember this beer having a little more flavor, though it was not a good flavor. This tastes like beer flavored carbonated water. I'm sure there are people out there that swear this was a better product before it was bought out by A.B., but I had it then and I think its just as bad of a product as before. The only difference was it wasn't owned by a huge corporation and hard working people of a small town produced it. I love the bottle and miss the commercials staring Jim Gaffigan but I probably won't be purchasing this again any time soon.

3.31/5  rDev +28.3%

A: pale straw, crystal clear, great lacing, and a decent head that maintains a film throughout most of the experience.

S: not this brew's strong point. Quite suppressed, this brew's bouquet consists of sweet corn, and a touch of clove.

T: more interesting than most macros, rolling rock is dominated by sweet and creamy corn, with subtle notes of isoamyl acetate (banana) and 4-vinyl guaiacol (clove). I'm guessing that they ferme t over 60' with a yeast other than budweiser's house strain.

M: light, but not crisp. There is a touch of slickness.

D: one of the best $15 30-packs around, rolling rock is definitely a step above its American macro brethren.

3.93/5  rDev +52.3%

Well here it is- my favorite American adjunct so far.

A: The bottle design is awesome. I love the old school sign with the horse head. I love the message on the back. I didn't pour this out into a glass... call me a savage, but this beer is meant to be drank outta the green bottle.

S: Snorting the mouth of the bottle, I get light corn husk and cooked veggies with plenty of good ole steel and adjuncty grains. Not much else but it smells like a beer I wanna drink right now.

T: This is one of the smoothest drinking beers out there, bar none. I could pick out corn and cooked veggies, along with some light earthy flavors and a vegetal hop presence in the flavor. The best thing is the "pale" character; RR is not sweet at all, and I for one like that.

D: I could kill these all day long on a hot day.

3.65/5  rDev +41.5%

a-fingers worth of white head that dies down quick no lacing light golden yellow color with nice carbonation

s-smell of malt and little hops aroma

t-taste smooth and light slight hint of hops not to strong clean aftertaste that is refreshing to drink

m-light and clean mouthfeel

d-smooth drinkablity and light make his a good beer for hotter days or drinking alot of to be refreshed

2.43/5  rDev -5.8%

ok, this is a PONY bottle!

poured into a DFH pint (!)....fluffy white active head (white as snow) that laces decently and thinly. pale straw.

smell....some sort of maltiness/light hoppiness. vague. maybe it's already too warm.

maybe a tad above other PA brewery specialty, LION'S HEAD...some body to this, but it still seems thin and rank...

drinkable if cold. i mean colder. glad this signature flavor wasn't born near PHILLY. Yuengling has this more than beat. even the green bottled Lord Chesterfield.

best if enjoyed after mowing the lawn and this are nearly frozen. or used to wash down any overly spicey food. beer-flavored water at best.

3.17/5  rDev +22.9%

Appearance: Rolling Rock has, no surprise, a pale yellow color. Very little golden. The one plus side is the abundance of foam. Otherwise, I'm not impressed.

Smell: Compared to other American lagers, I like this one. It smells a bit like flowers and sourdough bread. Weird and pleasant. Very unexpected. Word to the wise though...Rolling Rock get's skunked VERY easily, therefore I could take a bit away from my initial rating here.

Taste/Mouthfeel: No carbonation, making this very flat. However, it tastes pretty good. Bitter yet enjoyable, but not earth-shattering.

Drinkability: The drinkability is the number one reason people drink this. It's just easy to drink.

Overall: Perfect beer to kick back and enjoy a ballgame. Surprisingly good in some areas (smell and even taste), unsurprisingly bad in others (mouthfeel). As I said though, Rolling Rock gets skunked really fast. So drink it up quickly!

4.31/5  rDev +67.1%

This is my new favorite beer for around the house. Extremely satisfying and thirst-quenching. Great after a hard days' work or a good sweat-out. Pale straw color in appearance, smells like dark corn cereal, field grains, wet straw after a rainstorm, and a hint of urine smell (sorry, but it's true). Tastes great...bites the tongue and goes down smooth. Drinkability is exceptional. Lots of carbonation and leaves you wanting another and another.

Attractive green bottle with the horsie horsie.

Serve this one extra cold - as one reviewer put it, when it gets warm, it tastes like cornbread in a tin can. I couldn't have put it better. In fact - stick it in your freezer for 6 minutes before drinking it - the colder, the better. Probably best at 33*F (hey, there's that number again).

Nothing wrong with this light lager. Recommended if you're not too picky.

3.82/5  rDev +48.1%

What an underrated beer. Everyone knows it, everyone's had it, it's not expensive, why don't more people drink this? It's probably the marketing, because come to think about it, they have no marketing. But onto the beer, it's good and I like it, and I will drink a lot of it in the future.

3.98/5  rDev +54.3%

This beer is pretty good, it must be served with a lemon or lime to bring out it's full potential. Widely underated the lemon takes the beer to a new level. Brewed since 1939 it's has found it's place on this of beers i'd drink again.

Try this beer, you will find yourself on your fourth before you know it.

2.56/5  rDev -0.8%

A: This beer is a really pale yellow color

S: This beer has no smell to it

T: This beer is really watered down with no taste at all

M: This beer does go down smooth

D: This is a beer, when it was made by Latrobe in Latrobe, PA, was a excellent tasting beer. since being made by AB InBev, it's lacks the stuff that Latrobe had.

1.28/5  rDev -50.4%

Well well well, Rolling Rock has tried to LOWER its brand name to compete with good ol' PBR!!! WHY, I remember the days that Rock was another green bottle beer along side with michlob or heiny!! This beer is like pee in a bottle because of its yellow tint and has more bubbles than a soda! If I wanted a soda, I would buy a soda not a cheep pee looking beer. AB....well inbev try again. Everyone remember PBR-RRRRba Day is coming up soon.

3.12/5  rDev +20.9%

Got at a beer store for a football party.

Appearance: When the bottle says Extra Pale, it most definitely means extra pale. It looks like beered down water.

Smell: Almost no smell at all.

Taste: Tastes exactly how you would expect it to taste. Like a light, pale beer.

Mouth Feel: Just like a soda.

Drinkability: Not really a craft beer, but more of a drink to be had at parties, etc. It also has this uncanny ability to somehow negate the effects of spicy food, but this may just be my observation.

2.6/5  rDev +0.8%

This is a solid beer for the price. When they say extra pale on the front of the bottle, they mean extra pale. It has almost no head and it really doesn't smell like much of anything. This beer seems to be the choice of many non-beer drinkers that normally drink liquor because it doesn't have much of a beer taste. A good beer to drink with friends.

Cheers!

3.3/5  rDev +27.9%

"Extra Pale" yellow with a thin, fizzy head. This beer looks like Canada Dry ginger ale. A whiff of untoasted grain and DMS is about it in the nose. Slightly better than BMC beers flavor wise. Very little hop flavoring with just a touch of raw graininess. Thin bodied with seltzery carbonation. A good beer to drink ice cold on a hot day and not much else. You could do a lot worse for the style.

3.35/5  rDev +29.8%

Please pretty please bring back Original Rolling Rock from Latrobe, PA

One can create more jobs by reopening the plant as well

this beer is simply not what it used to be, which was a simple, crisp, refreshing drinkable beer. Not overpowering in taste, but a good American simple taste...it was one of those classic beers we all first fell for

2.48/5  rDev -3.9%

P: A 12 oz. green bottle with a painted on label.

A: The label doesn't lie, this beer is extra, extra pale yellow in color. It has a moderate head that evaporates quickly.

S: Not much in the nose. A very light sweetness is barely noticeable. Pretty clean overall.

T: Extremely watery and lacking in any real character. I remember having a few of these many years ago and seem to recall them having more flavor. Either I'm mistaken or perhaps when Latrobe sold out to Anheuser-Busch they changed the recipe?

M: The light body and mild carbonation gives it some crispness. Mostly bland and again, watery.

D: I can say it has decent drinkability as it's very light and refreshing. These would probably help you quench your thirst on a hot summer day. It's not terrible, just bland and uninteresting. Not one that I will be revisiting anytime soon.

3.19/5  rDev +23.6%

Like the poster before me, I'm actually a big fan of the Angry Videogame Nerd, so this beer for me is a throwback to before I knew a lot about beer. I picked it up simply because someone who entertained me enjoyed is so I might as well.

Honeslty, I still pick these up from time to time. They're a guilty pleasure, but as far as beers go they're not anything overly impressive. Average is the word that comes to mind. It's a decent beer for the sake of simple refreshment if they're onhand and you've been working up a sweat.

As far as smell goes, I would say this is perhaps the beer's best feature. It is a light smell, not a lot to it, but what I detected was a pleasant wheatiness. It was just a little floral.

The appearance is frankly undewhealming, but I get the impression this drink is meant to stay in the bottle. They likely try to hide it behind a pretty green bottle. It appears thin on inspection, very pale.

The taste is inoffensive. Though it's not a craft beer per se I would suggest this if you have friends you're trying to convert from Bud, Miller, or Coors. It's a good jumping point between the tasteless macrobrews and better microbrews. The taste itself mostly indicates it's primary ingredients. There is more of the grain's taste to it, along with a bit of that floral detected in the nose.

Mouth feel is carbonated. I can't really say much else. It's like drinking sprite.

Overall, it's highly drinkable, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's -great-. It's like the sitcom of beers. You can sit down and enjoy it without having to really think to hard on it. As reflected in my scores, I'd say it hovers around the range of average.

1.91/5  rDev -26%

I am a fan of James Rolfe's Angry Video Game Nerd who frequently uses this beer as a prop so I decided to give this beer a chance. I was not to terribly impressed.

Appearance: The bottle is green and the contents are definitely pale as the liquid barely gives a slight golden tint to the glass.

Smell: The beer was relatively odorless besides some faint skunk.

Taste: Here is the beer's real weakness, after taking a sip I have to admit that I did not taste much of anything. I realize that is a trademark of Adjunct Lager but still upon initial contact with my mouth there was some very slight malt and then as I rolled it around my mouth I tasted nothing, no malts, no hops, nothing.

Mouthfeel: Went down like water. This is the part of beer that I take the least amount of consideration in and the wateriness just reminds me of how much I did not like this beer.

Drinkability: Went down easy enough and had an ABV under 5% so one could drink it all night. But why? I personally would pour it out.

2.97/5  rDev +15.1%

A- clear yellowish color, almost no head

S- Crisp, but watery, very very slight hint of hops

T- Crisp, but watery

M- Almost no carbonation, watery

D- This is a beer that I really used to enjoy before I started drinking local craft beers. Coming back, it is a decent beer to have at a party, and you could drink several in one sitting.

A decent "cheap" beer alternative

2.66/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Two fingers fizzy, yet fluffy, bone white head... Moderate retention... A pale light lemony yellow color... A modest amount of slow to moderate paced carbonation... As translucent a beer as I've ever seen...

S - A very muted, yet pleasant aroma, especially by adjunct lager standards... Sweet malts... Corn... Grains... Apple... A vague hop presence... However, you almost need to put your nose completely into the beer to pick-up these scents..

T - Clean... While there is nothing that stands out, there is almost as importantly nothing as off putting as is often the case with adjunct lagers...

M - Crisp... Light to medium bodied... Clean... Good carbonation... Goes down quite easy...

D - On of the more drinkable adjunct lagers... Many are off putting in one way or another... While there is nothing notable, there is nothing wrong with it either... When my option are limited, I wouldn't hesitate to drink a Rolling Rock in the future...

2.86/5  rDev +10.9%

Rolling Rock is obviously not one of the world's greatest beers. That being said, you have to try Rolling Rock at least once. It's the first beer I drank on a regular basis (I've moved on to other beers since). You have to love the classic-looking green bottle of Rolling Rock. Since drinking other beers, my only complaint is that Rolling Rock is a bit skunky in taste.

3.8/5  rDev +47.3%

I like that it is a Smooth drinkable beer, very light tasting. My wife's comment was "I could drink this stuff to fast". If you don't like the nasty taste of most beers, you will enjoy this one. I think it's a great beer for the summer time.

3.71/5  rDev +43.8%

Got this when I went down to the States a while ago. Good beer. I love trying new beer, especially when I'm out of town.

A- Typical pale ale look.

S- Slight apple smell is the dominant one here. A bit of hops too.

T- The apple comes in again. You have to let your tongue lead you a bit if you are able to taste it. Slight hops.

M- Light and thin.

D- A very light tasting beer. Easy to drink. IIRC it's only 4.6% so that might be why as well.

1.2/5  rDev -53.5%

The style of this beer says it all, "American Adjunct Lager". They'll put anything in here except for quality ingredients.

A - Typical pale straw fizzy yellow. Maybe some small head formation.

S - Not much in the nose with this one. Maybe some stale rice or corn, but not much else.

T - There's an apparent attempt at hops, but it fails miserably.

M - Little bubbles dacing on my tongue, but rather thin and watery.

D - Not drinkable at all. Drain pour.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.