Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 756 | Hads: 2,484
2.94/5  rDev +9.7%

I bought a six-pack of Rolling Rock last night (Valentine's Day), partly for nostalgic reasons, and also because I just haven't had this in a long, long time. in fact, as soon as I opened the bottle and began to pour it, I noticed that it differed from what I remembered from about twenty years ago. It's a very light, pale straw color, watery, with heavy carbonation, almost like seltzer water. The taste is actually blander than I remember too, but I do like the dry aftertaste. It's not an awful beer, but definitely nothing stellar. I miss what it used to be, but then again, maybe my memory has shifted toward the optimistic spectrum, given my youthful appreciation of the brew. And also, my Grandpa loved this stuff when it was brewed in PA. All in all, an average AAL in every sense. Definitely better than Bud, MGD, etc. (836 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +62.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

i don't care about the head or any foam, I go strictly by the buzz and taste! It sets very well the next morning and the taste is very pleasant, IMHO! As far as color goes I don't like pale beers and prefer mahogany colored beer, to me it taste better than bud light, i do get a corn taste(for those who like the taste of corn try Busch) and something i can't quite put my finger on! I get no nasty after taste like i do on other brands, it does have a dry finish to me. For the price and the way it sets on you the next day, I would recommend it to friends, that being said, there will be those who don't like it! Am I a beer expert , not by any means but I know what I like and my taste goes from IPA to this, give it a chance I think you will like it! (755 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my favorite of the light beers. Granted it is a bit on the light side, and is similar to Coors and Bud but it is an easy drinker for those who do not like the more hearty of beers. (189 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Had in bottle at a wedding in September, sorry for the late review. In a nutshell, I didn't like it all. Give me a Bud Light, PBR, Old Milwaukee, Miller High Life, or just about any other AAL over this. Just did not do it for me at all. Won't choose to have another one. (270 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Rolling Rock

Pours into a Duvel glass with a 1/4” foamy white head that settles relatively quickly to a large but thin island of foam and a small ring around the glass. The beer itself is a completely clear, light yellow color. Sipping leaves speckles and a few legs of lace some of which cling to the slide of the glass. Some gentle carbonation rises from the nucleation point in the glass. Eventually the foam pretty much disappears except for the small island being steadily refreshed by the light stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is slightly malty with not much else going on.

The almost hidden flavors include a nice lightly sweet malt character with a touch of what seem like creamed corn (DMS?) and graininess thrown in for good measure. There are also seems to be some light, faint, fruity flavor here (apple?).

The mouth feel is light bodied and has a gentle crispness to it from the light carbonation. The finish moves from a bit of sweetness on to an almost dry ending with little or no bitterness.

Overall this seems a reasonably good beer for what it is intended to be, light, refreshing and without any strong flavors. Also it seems to me it is better than I remember some of its competitors being. (1,258 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -20.9%

Nothing extraordinary, small hints of creamed corn (as has been mentioned), but the difference from bottle to bottle is noticeable. Some bottles have a distinct peanut-butter tasting finish, after a nose of pure barley.

Easy to drink 10-12 of them and wake up no worse-for-the-wear (282 characters)

For the "cheap ass beer that is also hydrating" category. I could (and have) day drank this beer for hours on end and wake up in the AM feeling no worse than if I had a bomber of a nice bourbon barrel aged RIS.

It's borderline clear yellow, with a thin white head. Minimal aroma, but more on the malty/metalic side if you inhale deeply. Taste is seltzer water, mouthfeel is seltzer water.

I don't grab a 'rock I'm looking to build a memorable craft beer experience, I grab one when I want a casual adult bubbly beverage. I'm honestly not even sure if it's possible got get drunk drinking these, much less have a night that ruins my next morning. (651 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +10.4%

Rolling Rock. Always remind me of the Rolling Stones.
The look of it. Very light. Yellow clear color. Very carbonated.
The smell of it: Nothing to special.
The taste of it. Very different and Original. Its sweet. Very very carbonated. Easy drinking, very smooth. Definitely feels like a light beer. The taste is grainy.
So overall would I recommend it ? Depends on the price. If you find it on special, ok you can give it a try or else not worth it. (450 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: A very clear, light straw colored body. A white fizzy head that recedes to a white film. Random patches of lacing.

Aroma: Sweet cereal grains, a wet cardboard aroma.

Taste: Just like the aroma -- wet cardboard, soggy cereal, sweetness from malts, corn.

Mouthfeel: Creamy.

Overall: I poured this from a can, so I'll admit this scores better than a skunked green bottle. But it's still cheap. And really bad. (450 characters)

I've drunk enough of this stuff to know it is a truly nothing beer. It's not BAD, but it's not very good. A regional adjunct lager that just won't die. I guess there are some die-hards out there that look at Rolling Rock as their go-to brew, but I have precious little respect for this line. "From the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe," sounds like a pitch for a 1930's B-movie. (378 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

one of the better schwag beers, at least it was until it went corporate. not its adjuncty and lazy like the rest of them. it is a lot better than a coors or a bud light though, with some actual flavor in here, aside from the weird fermentables they react this with. its definitely thin though, watery in feel even though its carbonated like a soda. hops seem false too, i have to look for them, and when i find them, they are fakey and forced. malt base is super light, corny but not sweet, which is its real redeeming value. its also real drinkable being so light, and has something above the others like it, in that its still beer. sweetness lingers, but it stays super chuggable. in a situation where there is no good beer, i would drink this. if this wasnt present and it was bud or miller, i would chose not to drink at all. i guess thats about all i can say for this. i also grew up on it, which helps for nostalgic reasons, but nothing more than college swill here. its gone downhill... (993 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a nice 2 finger head that dissipates rather slowly leaving minimal lacing down a 20oz pub glass.

Has a decent amount of smell of malts with the lager yeast smell that moves into a bright crisp smell of almost like green apple.

Taste is light and refreshing but nothing to write home about. I get that light malt that is distinctive of an american adjunct lager that turns into that bright crisp green apple taste that I smelled.

Mouthfeel is light but has good carbonation.

Overall, an average beer that I will not be rushing out to get more of. I am glad I gave it a try but I am not real impressed. It kind of led me on a little with the extra pale written on the bottle but to me there was nothing extra or pale about it. (777 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

Good memories of this one, which is irrelevant . Still love the bottle: also irrelevant. Can be refreshing on a hot summer day.. but so can pretty much any cold beverage. Let's be honest: this stuff is crap..rogue flavors and aromas abound, as well as the bizarre, but unique (but not necessarily good unique) Rolling Rock sourness. Also, God help you if you drink one slightly below the almost freezing point. But still.. if I was faced with a macro only selection, I'd probably pick this one...though I can't say I would be exactly enthused about it. (553 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

It's a light, easy to drink lager that has virtually no flavor. This isn't actively horrible, but it's really not worth seeking out and I'd hesitate to say it's any better than the main American macro lagers. (208 characters)

2.69/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light gold that is super clear. Pours an off white head that dissipates quickly with poor retention.

Smell: Malt, a hint of hops. Very mild.

Taste: Like the smell, not strong. Malt and some corn.

Mouthfeel: Very light and well carbonated.

Overall: I like this beer when I plan on drinking a lot. Better than the main light beers. Easily drinkable. (391 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 1 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Light golden color with a thin fluffy head with short retention.
Mild aroma of lemon and some booze and bread.
Flavor of Lager yeast, lemon, light herbal hops. Mild dry aftertaste with a present but light bitterness.
Watery body with good not exaggerated carbonation.
That is a refreshing above average lite adjunct lager, especially while cold and you cannot feel the defect that will come much later. In my opinion is better than its Mexican counterparties. But it does remember me of good times I had in NY...
Ap.1 Ar.2,25 Sab.2,5 Sens.2,75 Cj.2,75 (551 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -21.6%

This isn't good, but it is drinkable. Very light bodied, crisp carbonation. Corn meal and a little metallic taste. Alcohol and hops not really noticeable. Not impressed. (169 characters)

So I'll start with the price, great value. Very great. But I thing I have noticed is that sometimes the beer is inconsistent. One case will taste great, it will be very light and taste like corn lol and other times it will taste like stale Heineken Light. But it is a smooth beer with a sweet corn taste and worth the price. (325 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +11.6%

If you like college beer (Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light) and want a slight change in flavor, this is a good choice for you. If you are a beer snob, I'm sure you'll hate it. (179 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

What did they do too this beer ? maybe the bottles are better they cost about 3 dollars more for 24 then 30 cans. Never buy the cans again taste like foamy water . (164 characters)

Had some Rolling Rock for the first time in quite sometime yesterday on the golf course. It was a warmer day and the beer tasted good to me. If this was middle of winter I might rate lower....but it hit the spot. Just drink it when it is warm outside. (254 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Edit on score : they changed their formula!!

Rolling Rock. Who can forget the jewel green bottles and the horse on the front with the eloquent speech on the back containing 33 words? This beer is so epic on the right days it's like a 10 out of 5. Lawnmower beer? Yes please. Relax on the couch after work? Yep. Empty bottle? Hand me another.

Appearance - No one pours their Rolling Rock. That's just stupid.

Smell - Cantaloupe, sweet corn, sweetened cereal. With a touch of sourness. A hint of wheat, too.

Taste - A mellow, lightly sour, yet spicy flavor that bites nicely and leaves you feeling satisfied. A body of corn sweetness envelopes the flavors and wraps it up in a gift horse for your tongue. Spicy notes leave a dry flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, somewhat smooth, dry finish and lots of burps.

Overall - Rolling Rock is a tasty treat at a perfect price. And dude, most places sell this for less than 10 bucks a 12 pack. It's cheap AND satisfying. It seems to always be sold out in my area. When I'm out, I buy more. Just make sure you serve it ice cold because once it stays at room temperature longer than 15 minutes it's no good. (1,170 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Straw golden hued with excellent clarity. A quarter inch of eggshell white head rests on top. Slinky aroma of corn and lager yeast is what I smell. Head retention is poor and it is gone. Tastes like stale Kellogg's corn pops. The mouth is thin and watery. (255 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Light gold with a fizzy head with fast dissipation. Minimal lacing.

S: Euro skunk mixed with AAL grain. Alcohol as well

T: Same as the smell but worse. Yuk.

M: Overly carbonated and thin.

O: I didn't care for this beer the last time. ( 10 or 15 -years ago) I like it even less now.

Not the worst thing I've ever had, but still bad. (387 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +41.4%

my very first beer, handed down from my grandfather. I swear this runs through is veins...as long as I can remember, hardly ever saw him without one in his hand. always remember him sitting out late at night on his porch, drinking and as he would say, "counting his blessings." a beer that has sentimental value which puts it up there for me. love that green bottle! in my eyes, the drink of a hard working family man. (418 characters)

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.