Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 771 | Hads: 2,563

It is what it is. Cheap light beer that's better than any Bud, miller, coors etc. As stated, drink ice cold on hot summer days. Great for tailgating or backyard BBQ's, drink it right out of the bottle.

1.84/5  rDev -29.8%

Skunky smell - quite tasteless. Nothing to write home about. My go to if I want an old man beer. However, I would buy this over bud light any day of the week.

2.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Tastes of adjuncts. Corn and rice, lingering artificial sweetness that leaves an unappealing aftertaste. Very light and a bit watery. Not something I need again.

2.09/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

If I'm looking for a beer, I'm almost never looking for a Rolling Rock. However, its somehow crisp and refreshing, although I've wondered if it gets its only flavor from the green bottle mild-skunkiness syndrome.

3.52/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quick review. The basics: water-light, slick, skunky nose, general lack of interesting flavor (zero identifiable hop)...& yet I still have a soft spot for this brew. The goofy carb & cheapo malt components just speak to me, I guess.

3.91/5  rDev +49.2%

First review honors to a beer I've bought plenty of bottles, cans, and pints of. I'm a fan of green-bottled skunky beers, and while this one isn't as strong in scent, it goes down smooth and is best ice cold for those hot summer days. Obviously not a high-class, complex brew. It came from small town Latrobe after all. But damn if it's not a guilty pleasure. It's a beer my pops drank, so like father, like son I guess.

For the record:

L: Pours a golden, straw color. Lots of bubbles. A generous inch of foam that dissipates quick.
S: Less skunky than other green-bottled Euro beers. Corn, rice, apple, some malty sweetness.
T: Very balanced for a cheap pilsner. Watered down sweet corn that's been sitting around a bit is the best way to describe it. Oddly drinkable.
M: Light, thin, high-carbonation. Makes it easy to down a 6-pack or more in one session.
O: Again, a simple beer above any Bud or Coors. Not the best, not the worst. It doesn't hang around to kick you in the ass the next morning like a PBR or Schlitz would, so that's a plus. A very drinkable beer I'll always appreciate. Cheers.

2.38/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, pale yellow. Too watery in appearance. Head very white, fluffy and quickly gone. Smells heavily of adjuncts, but malty-sweet. Tastes of corn, walnuts, pencil shavings, esters, and honey. Smoother, less dry, fuller-bodied, but less carbonated than a Miller High Life. Also, less hopped. Could be refreshing on a hot day. Not nasty, but nothing special.

2.75/5  rDev +5%

This is a light, easy, and refreshing beer. Not sure why they chose to do the green bottle, but it's made their bottle recognizable. This is an easy drinking beer that doesn't blow your mind, but it's not awful.

2.64/5  rDev +0.8%

A very crisp, light beer. I'm guessing all the bad reviews are from people who want a bold, slap-in-the-face taste to their beer. Sometimes you drink beer just to get a buzz. If that's what you're after, you could do way worse than rolling rock. I would rank beers like bud light, Coors light, michelob light, nattie light, etc below rolling rock.

2.69/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Not the worst beer i ever had, there are WAY worse. But really nothing special, it smells like glass, which is weird because on the bottle it states that it comes from "the glass lined tanks of old Latrobe" - the power of suggestion perhaps? Overall, i like it but certainly do not love it

2.22/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Very pale, light straw colored body; fluffy, fizzy white head. Grassy, steely aroma. Light, dull hint of grains; very subdued hop bitterness. Light, crisp mouthfeel; watery.

A most forgettable ale. Where's the flavor and feel? There is so little depth and character that it's difficult to see why this beer is still made. One is better off with a Budweiser or a nice glass of ice water. Well, my wife goes for this...and I use to settle for this a few decades ago, but I see little reason to go for this beer if other macro American adjuncts are available...

There's really nothing good nor bad about the beer except for the price, which, IMO, makes it one of the best beers for the buck you can get. It's nothing fancy, has no good taste nor bad, no good smell nor bad, and gives you a decent buzz which doesn't hang around with any nasty headaches. So when I can get an 18 pack for 12 bucks it's hard to find a reason not to when funds are tight. It's no Aventinus, but I can get 2.5 bottles of Aventinus for the price of an 18 pack of Rolling Rock. One is an everyday drinker, the other is a weekend brew. Both have merit.

2.02/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Very light in color, same for smell. Flavor is on the light side also. Not much to rave about, but not much to complain about either. Low on the ABV, light and dry on the after taste, means it's head and shoulders above most AALs. Very kind to all the senses. Goes down easier than lemonade, this is a great summer heat slammer.

3.13/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Something about the green bottle. If you buy, do not let it sit around long. Flavor changes drastically from bottle to bottle if you let it stay in the fridge for any extended time.

2.94/5  rDev +12.2%

I bought a six-pack of Rolling Rock last night (Valentine's Day), partly for nostalgic reasons, and also because I just haven't had this in a long, long time. in fact, as soon as I opened the bottle and began to pour it, I noticed that it differed from what I remembered from about twenty years ago. It's a very light, pale straw color, watery, with heavy carbonation, almost like seltzer water. The taste is actually blander than I remember too, but I do like the dry aftertaste. It's not an awful beer, but definitely nothing stellar. I miss what it used to be, but then again, maybe my memory has shifted toward the optimistic spectrum, given my youthful appreciation of the brew. And also, my Grandpa loved this stuff when it was brewed in PA. All in all, an average AAL in every sense. Definitely better than Bud, MGD, etc.

4.36/5  rDev +66.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

i don't care about the head or any foam, I go strictly by the buzz and taste! It sets very well the next morning and the taste is very pleasant, IMHO! As far as color goes I don't like pale beers and prefer mahogany colored beer, to me it taste better than bud light, i do get a corn taste(for those who like the taste of corn try Busch) and something i can't quite put my finger on! I get no nasty after taste like i do on other brands, it does have a dry finish to me. For the price and the way it sets on you the next day, I would recommend it to friends, that being said, there will be those who don't like it! Am I a beer expert , not by any means but I know what I like and my taste goes from IPA to this, give it a chance I think you will like it!

3.06/5  rDev +16.8%

This is my favorite of the light beers. Granted it is a bit on the light side, and is similar to Coors and Bud but it is an easy drinker for those who do not like the more hearty of beers.

1.66/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Had in bottle at a wedding in September, sorry for the late review. In a nutshell, I didn't like it all. Give me a Bud Light, PBR, Old Milwaukee, Miller High Life, or just about any other AAL over this. Just did not do it for me at all. Won't choose to have another one.

3.07/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Rolling Rock

Pours into a Duvel glass with a 1/4” foamy white head that settles relatively quickly to a large but thin island of foam and a small ring around the glass. The beer itself is a completely clear, light yellow color. Sipping leaves speckles and a few legs of lace some of which cling to the slide of the glass. Some gentle carbonation rises from the nucleation point in the glass. Eventually the foam pretty much disappears except for the small island being steadily refreshed by the light stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is slightly malty with not much else going on.

The almost hidden flavors include a nice lightly sweet malt character with a touch of what seem like creamed corn (DMS?) and graininess thrown in for good measure. There are also seems to be some light, faint, fruity flavor here (apple?).

The mouth feel is light bodied and has a gentle crispness to it from the light carbonation. The finish moves from a bit of sweetness on to an almost dry ending with little or no bitterness.

Overall this seems a reasonably good beer for what it is intended to be, light, refreshing and without any strong flavors. Also it seems to me it is better than I remember some of its competitors being.

2.12/5  rDev -19.1%

Nothing extraordinary, small hints of creamed corn (as has been mentioned), but the difference from bottle to bottle is noticeable. Some bottles have a distinct peanut-butter tasting finish, after a nose of pure barley.

Easy to drink 10-12 of them and wake up no worse-for-the-wear

For the "cheap ass beer that is also hydrating" category. I could (and have) day drank this beer for hours on end and wake up in the AM feeling no worse than if I had a bomber of a nice bourbon barrel aged RIS.

It's borderline clear yellow, with a thin white head. Minimal aroma, but more on the malty/metalic side if you inhale deeply. Taste is seltzer water, mouthfeel is seltzer water.

I don't grab a 'rock I'm looking to build a memorable craft beer experience, I grab one when I want a casual adult bubbly beverage. I'm honestly not even sure if it's possible got get drunk drinking these, much less have a night that ruins my next morning.

2.96/5  rDev +13%

Rolling Rock. Always remind me of the Rolling Stones.
The look of it. Very light. Yellow clear color. Very carbonated.
The smell of it: Nothing to special.
The taste of it. Very different and Original. Its sweet. Very very carbonated. Easy drinking, very smooth. Definitely feels like a light beer. The taste is grainy.
So overall would I recommend it ? Depends on the price. If you find it on special, ok you can give it a try or else not worth it.

2.33/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: A very clear, light straw colored body. A white fizzy head that recedes to a white film. Random patches of lacing.

Aroma: Sweet cereal grains, a wet cardboard aroma.

Taste: Just like the aroma -- wet cardboard, soggy cereal, sweetness from malts, corn.

Mouthfeel: Creamy.

Overall: I poured this from a can, so I'll admit this scores better than a skunked green bottle. But it's still cheap. And really bad.

I've drunk enough of this stuff to know it is a truly nothing beer. It's not BAD, but it's not very good. A regional adjunct lager that just won't die. I guess there are some die-hards out there that look at Rolling Rock as their go-to brew, but I have precious little respect for this line. "From the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe," sounds like a pitch for a 1930's B-movie.

2.8/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

one of the better schwag beers, at least it was until it went corporate. not its adjuncty and lazy like the rest of them. it is a lot better than a coors or a bud light though, with some actual flavor in here, aside from the weird fermentables they react this with. its definitely thin though, watery in feel even though its carbonated like a soda. hops seem false too, i have to look for them, and when i find them, they are fakey and forced. malt base is super light, corny but not sweet, which is its real redeeming value. its also real drinkable being so light, and has something above the others like it, in that its still beer. sweetness lingers, but it stays super chuggable. in a situation where there is no good beer, i would drink this. if this wasnt present and it was bud or miller, i would chose not to drink at all. i guess thats about all i can say for this. i also grew up on it, which helps for nostalgic reasons, but nothing more than college swill here. its gone downhill...

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.