Join our email list →

Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 777 | Hads: 2,594
2.12/5  rDev -19.4%

Nothing extraordinary, small hints of creamed corn (as has been mentioned), but the difference from bottle to bottle is noticeable. Some bottles have a distinct peanut-butter tasting finish, after a nose of pure barley.

Easy to drink 10-12 of them and wake up no worse-for-the-wear

For the "cheap ass beer that is also hydrating" category. I could (and have) day drank this beer for hours on end and wake up in the AM feeling no worse than if I had a bomber of a nice bourbon barrel aged RIS.

It's borderline clear yellow, with a thin white head. Minimal aroma, but more on the malty/metalic side if you inhale deeply. Taste is seltzer water, mouthfeel is seltzer water.

I don't grab a 'rock I'm looking to build a memorable craft beer experience, I grab one when I want a casual adult bubbly beverage. I'm honestly not even sure if it's possible got get drunk drinking these, much less have a night that ruins my next morning.

2.96/5  rDev +12.5%

Rolling Rock. Always remind me of the Rolling Stones.
The look of it. Very light. Yellow clear color. Very carbonated.
The smell of it: Nothing to special.
The taste of it. Very different and Original. Its sweet. Very very carbonated. Easy drinking, very smooth. Definitely feels like a light beer. The taste is grainy.
So overall would I recommend it ? Depends on the price. If you find it on special, ok you can give it a try or else not worth it.

2.33/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: A very clear, light straw colored body. A white fizzy head that recedes to a white film. Random patches of lacing.

Aroma: Sweet cereal grains, a wet cardboard aroma.

Taste: Just like the aroma -- wet cardboard, soggy cereal, sweetness from malts, corn.

Mouthfeel: Creamy.

Overall: I poured this from a can, so I'll admit this scores better than a skunked green bottle. But it's still cheap. And really bad.

I've drunk enough of this stuff to know it is a truly nothing beer. It's not BAD, but it's not very good. A regional adjunct lager that just won't die. I guess there are some die-hards out there that look at Rolling Rock as their go-to brew, but I have precious little respect for this line. "From the glass-lined tanks of Old Latrobe," sounds like a pitch for a 1930's B-movie.

2.8/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

one of the better schwag beers, at least it was until it went corporate. not its adjuncty and lazy like the rest of them. it is a lot better than a coors or a bud light though, with some actual flavor in here, aside from the weird fermentables they react this with. its definitely thin though, watery in feel even though its carbonated like a soda. hops seem false too, i have to look for them, and when i find them, they are fakey and forced. malt base is super light, corny but not sweet, which is its real redeeming value. its also real drinkable being so light, and has something above the others like it, in that its still beer. sweetness lingers, but it stays super chuggable. in a situation where there is no good beer, i would drink this. if this wasnt present and it was bud or miller, i would chose not to drink at all. i guess thats about all i can say for this. i also grew up on it, which helps for nostalgic reasons, but nothing more than college swill here. its gone downhill...

2.75/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a nice 2 finger head that dissipates rather slowly leaving minimal lacing down a 20oz pub glass.

Has a decent amount of smell of malts with the lager yeast smell that moves into a bright crisp smell of almost like green apple.

Taste is light and refreshing but nothing to write home about. I get that light malt that is distinctive of an american adjunct lager that turns into that bright crisp green apple taste that I smelled.

Mouthfeel is light but has good carbonation.

Overall, an average beer that I will not be rushing out to get more of. I am glad I gave it a try but I am not real impressed. It kind of led me on a little with the extra pale written on the bottle but to me there was nothing extra or pale about it.

2.18/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Good memories of this one, which is irrelevant . Still love the bottle: also irrelevant. Can be refreshing on a hot summer day.. but so can pretty much any cold beverage. Rogue flavors and aromas abound, as well as the bizarre, but unique ( not necessarily good unique) Rolling Rock sourness. (I believe they call it "bite".) Also, God help you if you drink one slightly below the almost freezing point. But still.. if I was faced with a macro only selection, I'd probably pick this one...though I can't say I would be enthused about it.

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%

It's a light, easy to drink lager that has virtually no flavor. This isn't actively horrible, but it's really not worth seeking out and I'd hesitate to say it's any better than the main American macro lagers.

2.69/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light gold that is super clear. Pours an off white head that dissipates quickly with poor retention.

Smell: Malt, a hint of hops. Very mild.

Taste: Like the smell, not strong. Malt and some corn.

Mouthfeel: Very light and well carbonated.

Overall: I like this beer when I plan on drinking a lot. Better than the main light beers. Easily drinkable.

2.43/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 1 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Light golden color with a thin fluffy head with short retention.
Mild aroma of lemon and some booze and bread.
Flavor of Lager yeast, lemon, light herbal hops. Mild dry aftertaste with a present but light bitterness.
Watery body with good not exaggerated carbonation.
That is a refreshing above average lite adjunct lager, especially while cold and you cannot feel the defect that will come much later. In my opinion is better than its Mexican counterparties. But it does remember me of good times I had in NY...
Ap.1 Ar.2,25 Sab.2,5 Sens.2,75 Cj.2,75

2.1/5  rDev -20.2%

This isn't good, but it is drinkable. Very light bodied, crisp carbonation. Corn meal and a little metallic taste. Alcohol and hops not really noticeable. Not impressed.

So I'll start with the price, great value. Very great. But I thing I have noticed is that sometimes the beer is inconsistent. One case will taste great, it will be very light and taste like corn lol and other times it will taste like stale Heineken Light. But it is a smooth beer with a sweet corn taste and worth the price.

2.99/5  rDev +13.7%

If you like college beer (Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light) and want a slight change in flavor, this is a good choice for you. If you are a beer snob, I'm sure you'll hate it.

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%

What did they do too this beer ? maybe the bottles are better they cost about 3 dollars more for 24 then 30 cans. Never buy the cans again taste like foamy water .

Had some Rolling Rock for the first time in quite sometime yesterday on the golf course. It was a warmer day and the beer tasted good to me. If this was middle of winter I might rate lower....but it hit the spot. Just drink it when it is warm outside.

3.62/5  rDev +37.6%

Rolling Rock. Who can forget the jewel green bottles and the horse on the front with the eloquent speech on the back containing 33 words? This beer is so epic on the right days it's like a 10 out of 5. Lawnmower beer? Yes please. Relax on the couch after work? Yep. Empty bottle? Hand me another.

Appearance - No one pours their Rolling Rock. That's just stupid.

Smell - Cantaloupe, sweet corn, sweetened cereal. With a touch of sourness. A hint of wheat, too.

Taste - A mellow, lightly sour, yet spicy flavor that bites nicely and leaves you feeling satisfied. A body of corn sweetness envelopes the flavors and wraps it up in a gift horse for your tongue. Spicy notes leave a dry flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, somewhat smooth, dry finish and lots of burps.

Overall - Rolling Rock is a tasty treat at a perfect price. And dude, most places sell this for less than 10 bucks a 12 pack. It's cheap AND satisfying. It seems to always be sold out in my area. When I'm out, I buy more. Just make sure you serve it ice cold because once it stays at room temperature longer than 15 minutes it's no good.

2.44/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Straw golden hued with excellent clarity. A quarter inch of eggshell white head rests on top. Slinky aroma of corn and lager yeast is what I smell. Head retention is poor and it is gone. Tastes like stale Kellogg's corn pops. The mouth is thin and watery.

2.49/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Light gold with a fizzy head with fast dissipation. Minimal lacing.

S: Euro skunk mixed with AAL grain. Alcohol as well

T: Same as the smell but worse. Yuk.

M: Overly carbonated and thin.

O: I didn't care for this beer the last time. ( 10 or 15 -years ago) I like it even less now.

Not the worst thing I've ever had, but still bad.

3.79/5  rDev +44.1%

my very first beer, handed down from my grandfather. I swear this runs through is veins...as long as I can remember, hardly ever saw him without one in his hand. always remember him sitting out late at night on his porch, drinking and as he would say, "counting his blessings." a beer that has sentimental value which puts it up there for me. love that green bottle! in my eyes, the drink of a hard working family man.

3.5/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 oz can poured into a lager glass.

A - Straw. Decent white head gives way to nice lacing. Good retention.

S - Not much there. Faint corn and grass.

T - Sweet malt and corn with faint hops. Crisp, with a proper amount of carbonation. Finishes clean and sweet with faint corn/apple taste.

M - Light

O - One of my go-to AALs. It's an unabashedly delightful and delicious brew.

1.25/5  rDev -52.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Easy drinking with no taste whatsoever, I found Rolling Rock to be quite overrated and honestly it's a beer that should be avoided. On tap it pours a light yellow, the taste is non existent and it is a smooth finishing brew with a very light of water.

2.25/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I'm not sure why people like this so much more than I do. I found it to be watery, relatively flavorless, and pointless. I was far more disappointed than I expected to be.

3.14/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Overall, for a massed produced beer, this "extra pale" is not that bad. Drinking after something awesome like an aamazing IPA or such, it doesn't seem that great. But compared to your Buds, Millers and such, this is a real nice beer. Aroma is not the greatest, do I detect a hint of skunkiness?. Overall, the taste is slightly crisp but does have a little more lingering aftertatste than I prefer with this type of beer. A good "go to" above average "average" beer

I do not remember when I had this beer but this beer was okay. It was not my favorite beer that I have had. The smell was okay, and the taste was okay. This was not my favorite beer that I have had. But I am glad that I tried it. The aroma of this beer was ok, but like I said this was not my favorite beer.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.