Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 771 | Hads: 2,563
2.75/5  rDev +5%

Pours a clear golden straw color with a nice 2 finger head that dissipates rather slowly leaving minimal lacing down a 20oz pub glass.

Has a decent amount of smell of malts with the lager yeast smell that moves into a bright crisp smell of almost like green apple.

Taste is light and refreshing but nothing to write home about. I get that light malt that is distinctive of an american adjunct lager that turns into that bright crisp green apple taste that I smelled.

Mouthfeel is light but has good carbonation.

Overall, an average beer that I will not be rushing out to get more of. I am glad I gave it a try but I am not real impressed. It kind of led me on a little with the extra pale written on the bottle but to me there was nothing extra or pale about it.

2.18/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Good memories of this one, which is irrelevant . Still love the bottle: also irrelevant. Can be refreshing on a hot summer day.. but so can pretty much any cold beverage. Rogue flavors and aromas abound, as well as the bizarre, but unique ( not necessarily good unique) Rolling Rock sourness. (I believe they call it "bite".) Also, God help you if you drink one slightly below the almost freezing point. But still.. if I was faced with a macro only selection, I'd probably pick this one...though I can't say I would be enthused about it.

2.5/5  rDev -4.6%

It's a light, easy to drink lager that has virtually no flavor. This isn't actively horrible, but it's really not worth seeking out and I'd hesitate to say it's any better than the main American macro lagers.

2.69/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light gold that is super clear. Pours an off white head that dissipates quickly with poor retention.

Smell: Malt, a hint of hops. Very mild.

Taste: Like the smell, not strong. Malt and some corn.

Mouthfeel: Very light and well carbonated.

Overall: I like this beer when I plan on drinking a lot. Better than the main light beers. Easily drinkable.

2.43/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 1 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Light golden color with a thin fluffy head with short retention.
Mild aroma of lemon and some booze and bread.
Flavor of Lager yeast, lemon, light herbal hops. Mild dry aftertaste with a present but light bitterness.
Watery body with good not exaggerated carbonation.
That is a refreshing above average lite adjunct lager, especially while cold and you cannot feel the defect that will come much later. In my opinion is better than its Mexican counterparties. But it does remember me of good times I had in NY...
Ap.1 Ar.2,25 Sab.2,5 Sens.2,75 Cj.2,75

2.1/5  rDev -19.8%

This isn't good, but it is drinkable. Very light bodied, crisp carbonation. Corn meal and a little metallic taste. Alcohol and hops not really noticeable. Not impressed.

So I'll start with the price, great value. Very great. But I thing I have noticed is that sometimes the beer is inconsistent. One case will taste great, it will be very light and taste like corn lol and other times it will taste like stale Heineken Light. But it is a smooth beer with a sweet corn taste and worth the price.

2.99/5  rDev +14.1%

If you like college beer (Bud Light, Miller Lite, Coors Light) and want a slight change in flavor, this is a good choice for you. If you are a beer snob, I'm sure you'll hate it.

2.5/5  rDev -4.6%

What did they do too this beer ? maybe the bottles are better they cost about 3 dollars more for 24 then 30 cans. Never buy the cans again taste like foamy water .

Had some Rolling Rock for the first time in quite sometime yesterday on the golf course. It was a warmer day and the beer tasted good to me. If this was middle of winter I might rate lower....but it hit the spot. Just drink it when it is warm outside.

3.62/5  rDev +38.2%

Rolling Rock. Who can forget the jewel green bottles and the horse on the front with the eloquent speech on the back containing 33 words? This beer is so epic on the right days it's like a 10 out of 5. Lawnmower beer? Yes please. Relax on the couch after work? Yep. Empty bottle? Hand me another.

Appearance - No one pours their Rolling Rock. That's just stupid.

Smell - Cantaloupe, sweet corn, sweetened cereal. With a touch of sourness. A hint of wheat, too.

Taste - A mellow, lightly sour, yet spicy flavor that bites nicely and leaves you feeling satisfied. A body of corn sweetness envelopes the flavors and wraps it up in a gift horse for your tongue. Spicy notes leave a dry flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated, somewhat smooth, dry finish and lots of burps.

Overall - Rolling Rock is a tasty treat at a perfect price. And dude, most places sell this for less than 10 bucks a 12 pack. It's cheap AND satisfying. It seems to always be sold out in my area. When I'm out, I buy more. Just make sure you serve it ice cold because once it stays at room temperature longer than 15 minutes it's no good.

2.44/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Straw golden hued with excellent clarity. A quarter inch of eggshell white head rests on top. Slinky aroma of corn and lager yeast is what I smell. Head retention is poor and it is gone. Tastes like stale Kellogg's corn pops. The mouth is thin and watery.

2.49/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Light gold with a fizzy head with fast dissipation. Minimal lacing.

S: Euro skunk mixed with AAL grain. Alcohol as well

T: Same as the smell but worse. Yuk.

M: Overly carbonated and thin.

O: I didn't care for this beer the last time. ( 10 or 15 -years ago) I like it even less now.

Not the worst thing I've ever had, but still bad.

3.79/5  rDev +44.7%

my very first beer, handed down from my grandfather. I swear this runs through is veins...as long as I can remember, hardly ever saw him without one in his hand. always remember him sitting out late at night on his porch, drinking and as he would say, "counting his blessings." a beer that has sentimental value which puts it up there for me. love that green bottle! in my eyes, the drink of a hard working family man.

3.5/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 oz can poured into a lager glass.

A - Straw. Decent white head gives way to nice lacing. Good retention.

S - Not much there. Faint corn and grass.

T - Sweet malt and corn with faint hops. Crisp, with a proper amount of carbonation. Finishes clean and sweet with faint corn/apple taste.

M - Light

O - One of my go-to AALs. It's an unabashedly delightful and delicious brew.

1.25/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Easy drinking with no taste whatsoever, I found Rolling Rock to be quite overrated and honestly it's a beer that should be avoided. On tap it pours a light yellow, the taste is non existent and it is a smooth finishing brew with a very light of water.

2.25/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I'm not sure why people like this so much more than I do. I found it to be watery, relatively flavorless, and pointless. I was far more disappointed than I expected to be.

3.14/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Overall, for a massed produced beer, this "extra pale" is not that bad. Drinking after something awesome like an aamazing IPA or such, it doesn't seem that great. But compared to your Buds, Millers and such, this is a real nice beer. Aroma is not the greatest, do I detect a hint of skunkiness?. Overall, the taste is slightly crisp but does have a little more lingering aftertatste than I prefer with this type of beer. A good "go to" above average "average" beer

I do not remember when I had this beer but this beer was okay. It was not my favorite beer that I have had. The smell was okay, and the taste was okay. This was not my favorite beer that I have had. But I am glad that I tried it. The aroma of this beer was ok, but like I said this was not my favorite beer.

2.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

See the horse on the front if the bottle. It's horse piss. Or at least that's the color. Smells of metallic skunk. Taste is not there but it's excellent for a hot day. A sixxer is $4 which isn't bad when your pour and need to blow off steam. Goes down smooth and easy to drink a dozen.
Gives a bad hangover so beware everyone

2.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cool, crisp, refreshing. Not a lot going on in the way of flavor though. It would fit the bill for a good lawn mowing beer or something, but pretty lacking for anything else.

Will not revisit again.

2.92/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Having been unimpressed by this beer in the past, it had been years since I had tried it. A friend brought a bunch over to my place in those classic green bottles, and I had to try one.
There's not a lot of flavor here, but what is there is a very clean and refreshing. Very light, and has the potential to be a great summer beer if it's on sale. Otherwise there are others from the style I'd take over this. I think what's best about this beer is not what it is, but rather what it isn't. That is, it's not harsh, funky, or metallic like some AALs, which in some ways is endorsement enough.

1.97/5  rDev -24.8%

If you put tap water into a big metal bucket, then left it out in the sun for a few weeks, the result would be Rolling Rock. That said, still better than its competition!

2.73/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ah, the old days when Rolling Rock was like a gourmet beer...something rare...something to actively seek out. Found a sixer of these at Harry's in Marietta for $4.99 and decided to trip and fall down memory lane.

Appearance 2.25: Wow, this is indeed a "Pale Ale." Looks like watered-down apple juice. No head. No lacing. It's just there. It does kind of look beer-esque, though.

Smell 3.0: Bouquet is actually OK. Hints of grains and the classic lager phenols.

Taste 2.75: Front is missing. Nothing there, taste-wise. Middle is somewhat sweet, with heavy carbonation interrupting any deeper taste that might have been present. Finish is smooth, with a very light taste of malt, but that's it. Aftertaste is where some brief hints of corn pop up along with some brief hints of grains, before it all fades away.

Mouthfeel 2.25: Too much carbonation and it interferes with the taste of the beer.

Overall 2.75: In spite of this beer's many faults, it is still OK. Nothing fantastic, just a basic lagery, bubbly, malt beverage to quench your thirst or wash down some pizza or wings. If you can get it cheap in the summer, it is a great lawnmower beer. Still, if you pay over five bucks for a sixer of these, get your head examined. Again, this beer is not bad, it just is not that good. A classic and an OK beer, even if the jerks who bought it out closed down Pennsylvania's "Old Latrobe" and now brew it at some mega-brewery.

3.45/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Big off-white head. Retention is ok. Lacing is ok. The body is very clear. The body is a light golden yellow color. Moderate carbonation.

Mild. Clean. Some sweet pleasant barley malt is there.

Smooth but with a decent level of flavor. Tastes like mild clean pale malts followed by a very mild and light corn flavor. There is some sweetness to this beer. There is a very light toasted malt flavor going on if you dig for it. Hops are very light and used for balance. It is hard to taste the hops at all. There is also a mild fruity yeast flavor to this beer. Rolling Rock is clean and not dominated by adjunct. Much better than I expected. For the style of economy macro lager this is very good. This is a well made, light, mild adjunct lager. Enjoyable. Above average for this category.

Light bodied. Good carbonation. Body matches the flavor profile.

A clean, smooth, well made economy macro lager. 4.4% abv. 130 calories. 1.3g protein. That is a pretty high amount of protein for a light bodied 4.4% beer. That means they don't skimp on the barley malt. That means there's not too much adjunct in here. You wouldn't know that from the price. This beer is pretty good. Hard to find a better budget beer than this.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.