Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 756 | Hads: 2,484
3.5/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

24 oz can poured into a lager glass.

A - Straw. Decent white head gives way to nice lacing. Good retention.

S - Not much there. Faint corn and grass.

T - Sweet malt and corn with faint hops. Crisp, with a proper amount of carbonation. Finishes clean and sweet with faint corn/apple taste.

M - Light

O - One of my go-to AALs. It's an unabashedly delightful and delicious brew. (381 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Easy drinking with no taste whatsoever, I found Rolling Rock to be quite overrated and honestly it's a beer that should be avoided. On tap it pours a light yellow, the taste is non existent and it is a smooth finishing brew with a very light of water. (251 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I'm not sure why people like this so much more than I do. I found it to be watery, relatively flavorless, and pointless. I was far more disappointed than I expected to be. (171 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Overall, for a massed produced beer, this "extra pale" is not that bad. Drinking after something awesome like an aamazing IPA or such, it doesn't seem that great. But compared to your Buds, Millers and such, this is a real nice beer. Aroma is not the greatest, do I detect a hint of skunkiness?. Overall, the taste is slightly crisp but does have a little more lingering aftertatste than I prefer with this type of beer. A good "go to" above average "average" beer (464 characters)

I do not remember when I had this beer but this beer was okay. It was not my favorite beer that I have had. The smell was okay, and the taste was okay. This was not my favorite beer that I have had. But I am glad that I tried it. The aroma of this beer was ok, but like I said this was not my favorite beer. (307 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

See the horse on the front if the bottle. It's horse piss. Or at least that's the color. Smells of metallic skunk. Taste is not there but it's excellent for a hot day. A sixxer is $4 which isn't bad when your pour and need to blow off steam. Goes down smooth and easy to drink a dozen.
Gives a bad hangover so beware everyone (325 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Cool, crisp, refreshing. Not a lot going on in the way of flavor though. It would fit the bill for a good lawn mowing beer or something, but pretty lacking for anything else.

Would not buy again. Would drink if nothing else. (225 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Having been unimpressed by this beer in the past, it had been years since I had tried it. A friend brought a bunch over to my place in those classic green bottles, and I had to try one.
There's not a lot of flavor here, but what is there is a very clean and refreshing. Very light, and has the potential to be a great summer beer if it's on sale. Otherwise there are others from the style I'd take over this. I think what's best about this beer is not what it is, but rather what it isn't. That is, it's not harsh, funky, or metallic like some AALs, which in some ways is endorsement enough. (592 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +8.6%

Ah, the old days when Rolling Rock was like a gourmet beer...something rare...something to actively seek out. Found a sixer of these at Harry's in Marietta for $4.99 and decided to trip and fall down memory lane.

Appearance 2.25: Wow, this is indeed a "Pale Ale." Looks like watered-down apple juice. No head. No lacing. It's just there. It does kind of look beer-esque, though.

Smell 3.0: Bouquet is actually OK. Hints of grains and the classic lager phenols.

Taste 3.0: Front is missing. Nothing there, taste-wise. Middle is somewhat sweet, with heavy carbonation interrupting any deeper taste that might have been present. Finish is smooth, with a very light taste of malt, but that's it. Aftertaste is where some brief hints of corn pop up along with some brief hints of grains, before it all fades away.

Mouthfeel 2.5: Too much carbonation and it interferes with the taste of the beer.

Overall 3.0: In spite of this beer's many faults, it is still OK. Nothing fantastic, just a basic lagery, bubbly, malt beverage to quench your thirst or wash down some pizza or wings. If you can get it cheap in the summer, it is a great lawnmower beer. Still, if you pay over five bucks for a sixer of these, get your head examined. Again, this beer is not bad, it just is not that good. A classic and an OK beer. (1,311 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance
Big off-white head. Retention is ok. Lacing is ok. The body is very clear. The body is a light golden yellow color. Moderate carbonation.

Smell
Mild. Clean. Some sweet pleasant barley malt is there.

Taste
Smooth but with a decent level of flavor. Tastes like mild clean pale malts followed by a very mild and light corn flavor. There is some sweetness to this beer. There is a very light toasted malt flavor going on if you dig for it. Hops are very light and used for balance. It is hard to taste the hops at all. There is also a mild fruity yeast flavor to this beer. Rolling Rock is clean and not dominated by adjunct. Much better than I expected. For the style of economy macro lager this is very good. This is a well made, light, mild adjunct lager. Enjoyable. Above average for this category.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied. Good carbonation. Body matches the flavor profile.

Overall
A clean, smooth, well made economy macro lager. 4.4% abv. 130 calories. 1.3g protein. That is a pretty high amount of protein for a light bodied 4.4% beer. That means they don't skimp on the barley malt. That means there's not too much adjunct in here. You wouldn't know that from the price. This beer is pretty good. Hard to find a better budget beer than this. (1,259 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: thick, sudsy white head recedes with almost no lacing. Clear straw color with moderate carbonation bubbles streaming.
Aroma: corn husks, a bit of breadiness and water.
Mouthfeel: light and crisp, finish is dry.
Flavor: the corn sweetness dominates, with some of the rice also evident, maybe just a hint of hops in the finish. (340 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -27.6%

I've been making my way through all the cheap adjuncts found everyday in the 7/11 (excluding lites). Tasting Rolling Rock I discovered I'd perhaps inadvertently saved the worst for last.

Having acquired a taste (and even appreciation) for PBR and even Miller High Life, my first mouthful of Rolling Rock was a letdown. Where PBR has a slight crispness; this was watery yeast - with an off-putting sweetness reminiscent of sparkling mineral water. Ya know, that weird taste sparkling water has because of the carbonation? That's in abundance here. In fact, after 2 cans of Rolling Rock it seemed I was glugging sparkling water.

Zero hop flavor to my taste buds and that yeasty mineral water taste gets old quick. On the 4th can I gave up and dreamed of swishing a quality IPA round my mouth to get rid of that sparkling Dasani taste in my mouth.

In it's defense, it kept me very hydrated. Craft beers do tend to make me a little dehydrated after a session, but here with Rolling Rock it was quenching my thirst like a good sports drink while giving me a nice alco buzz. If you want to chug back on something close to mineral water and get a cheap buzz -- pick some up. Although I'd recommend PBR over this any day (assuming you're on a budget) (1,246 characters)

This was beer of choice as a young adult and college student, it just had a great taste and was a good beer to chill out and relax with, though it does leave you with a terrible hangover. The quality and taste did change when AB-InBev bought out Rolling Rock and moved production out of Pennsylvania. It pours real pale yellow, with a soapy head the dissolves quickly, and sparkles with carbonation. You get a mineral watery, malty taste, that is finished with a sweet taste. There is a malt aftertaste, no edge, light in body, and not filling. Good with food, working, and fishing. (582 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +29.1%

I don't know if you guys know this but, Old bay crabs and a rolling rock go together like peanut butter and jelly

Also Nothing beats drinking some ponies at the beach. 7 ice cold ounces. Drink it before it gets warm on a hot summer day.

Rolling rock was my first beer I ever had so I gotta rep

I'm more of a IPA guy but I like to drink some rocks (349 characters)

I grew up in NY in the 1960's. And when I became of drinking age I had friends in western PA that I would visit often. Our sit on the porch and talk forever beer was Rolling Rock. I enjoyed the brisk, light flavor that really tasted of clear stream water. Until today, I had my last Rolling Rock around 2002 when it was still made in PA.

Just bought a 6 pack of the St. Louis Anhauser Busch Rolling Rock. This ain't the same beer of my youth. This beer is sudsy, tastes of mildewed hay. Tastes like a lightweight Schlitz. Terrible.

I live in Santa Rosa, CA now. Glad to have Russian River Brewing down the street form my house. (629 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Had on tap in a plastic cup.

Appearance is a medium gold with a thin, fizzy white head. All in all it looks like your typical fizzy pale yellow beer. Not much to it but not much to complain about either.

Aroma is basically nonexistent. A little bit of bread and corn along with maybe the slightest hint of hay but I really don't pick up much.

the flavor is really about as weak as the aroma. A touch of bread and corn it is very light but also not offensive at all. Basically zero bitterness with just the slightest bit of stickiness left over. Soft mouthfeel.

Overall, this is simply plain, fizzy, yellow beer. Completely unoffensive and goes down like water. Honestly this wouldn't be too bad on a hot day but even then I am looking for something a bit more. (764 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +37.7%

Rolling Rock Extra Pale brew by Latrobe Brewing Co but now Anheuser Busch. This brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. It smells like beer- what else can I say. This brew has the look and taste of an American style lager. Rolling Rock Extra Pale goes down smooth and crisp. This beer has body and flavor. Even the after tease is good. There is no bad after taste, just clean and refreshing. There nothing bad about this brew at all. Over All I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5. (496 characters)

2.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 25 ounce tallboy into a sampler. A semi-aggressive pour produces a short-lived, 1/2 inch thick, white head. Little islands of lace in the middle and around the rim stick around for the duration. The beer is an extra pale color, with a distinctly yellow tinge. Pretty light carbonation.

I get very little in the aroma, and hops are pretty much undetectable (to me at least). It has a light, very watery flavor that does go down easily and is pretty refreshing when you're thirsty. There just isn't much flavor. I would compare this to a Coors light- it tastes pretty good after a hike, but you might want to switch to something with a bit more beer flavor after you're past dying of thirst.

Not too bad for what it is, although the really watery flavor and mouthfeel is bit off-putting. I don't even get a subtle "bite" here. This is the first one of these I've had for a long time and I think I probably won't get it again for a long time unless it's all there is and I'm dying of thirst. (1,004 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -17.9%

12 fl oz green glass (ugh...) bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap and uninteresting label acquired at a local corner mart and served into an Independence Brewing pilsner glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the brewery. 4.4% ABV according to the bottle.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured somewhat gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Thickness isn't bad considering the style, and there's even a bit of creaminess. The complexion and consistency are weak and unappealing, however. Head retention is well below average - about one minute at best. Inconsistent spotty lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a weak looking clear transparent yellow, which lacks vibrance. Appears thin and watery. The overabundance of rising carbonation bubbles suggests overcarbonation. Translucent.

Overall, it's a weak looking brew but is par for the style. I'm optimistic. Not unique or special by any means, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: Strangely sweet and buttery. Sugarcane, diacetyl, sweet corn adjunct (this is the dominant note), cheap barley, and some light grains. I find no yeast character, hop profile, or alcohol. It comes off too sweet and I'm a bit turned off by that. It's inoffensive, though. Not a great aroma by any means. Definitely adunct-laden.

Above average in terms of strength.

T: Heavy corn adjunct, empty malty sweetness, depleted barley, and buttery/diacetyl character. Lacks any discernable hop profile whatsoever. I don't pick up on any yeast character or alcohol either. Painfully simple, lacking any subtlety, intricacy, or nuance. I'm not a big fan of the taste, but I've definitely had worse and while it's not enjoyable, there are no egregious off-notes that would really turn one off to it. Even the diacetyl is bearable. Below average depth of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour (for the style). Average duration of flavour.

Unbalanced (but not imbalanced; there's a difference). Build has a loose cohesion, but this isn't a gestalt flavour profile.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Syrupy and thick. Too viscous. Has a bit too much body for its lack of flavour. Presence on the palate is bad overall, and the texture doesn't suit the flavour profile particularly well. I'd almost prefer the thin watery texture common amongst bad offerings in this style. Unrefreshing. It feels artificial - likely from the adjunct. This isn't a quenching brew by any means.

Not boozy, hot, oily, astringent, rough, or harsh.

Dr: Downable swill at an affordable price point. I'd file this in the "student beer" category. I won't be buying it again but it's far from intolerable. Rolling Rock has better offerings and I'd caution friends from picking up this one. I'll have no trouble finishing the bottle, though, and it's not a terrible beer by any means. I'm glad I tried it but it just didn't come together like a good adjunct lager should. It's not quite as bland and boring as many beers in this style, but I'd probably take the blandness of something like Budweiser over the off-putting adjunct sweetness featured prominently in this flavour profile.

(3,284 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampled tonight on 2/17/14. Had this classic several times in the past but been a couple of years since the last one. Always loved the painted on label on the green bottle. Used to be made in Pa but ol' Bud bought them out I see. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a crystal clear gold in color with about a 1-finger frizzy white head that settles down to just the top. Some spotty lacing was seen. Lots of bubbles streaming up from the sides and bottom of the glass with medium carbonation. The aroma is of sweet corn, rice and grains. The taste is about the same but is stronger and more of a sweeter finish. (675 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of carbonation. It poured with a finger high bright white head that quickly died down and faded away, leaving only a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of corn and rice adjunct malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell, except that the flavors are a bit stronger, particularly the corn, the latter of which contributes some malty sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied, somewhat clean and a little watery on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to be a little more palatable compared to some of the other American Adjunct Lagers, but seems to be a little too sweet and could use a light amount of bitterness to balance things off. (779 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12oz green bottle with a painted on label. Last time I had one of these I remember them being from Latrobe, Pennsylvania, but I see now that Anhauser-Bush has bought them out and they are now made in St.Louis, Missouri. No freshness date.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale gold color with a 1½-finger white head. The head lasted only 30 secOnds and left no lacing whatsover.

Smells like bubblegum and corn sweetener.

Slightly sweet flavor from the pale malt and corn. The adjuncts used here are both corn and rice, but not getting much flavor from the rice. There is a mild bitterness from the hops which balances nicely.

Crisp and light with medium carbonation.

Not bad for the price. It's an easy drinking crisp refreshing lager. (740 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +47%

Rolling Rock is my new go-to session beer, when I want something light and smooth. Great for session drinking - more taste than a light beer but easy on the alcohol. A lot smoother than Miller High Life (which seems a bit stronger), and more flavor than Coor or Miller Lite. Excellent for football watching or camping, or any other activity where there's a lot of beer sippin'.

Go for the cans, in my experience the taste is better than the bottles. (451 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +10.8%

1 of 30 355 ml cans brought home from a shopping trip. Served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pale weak yellow / golden color. Tons of effervescent bubbles rising to the top and a 2.5 finger head quickly recedes leaving thin soapy collar. Retention is poor, but initial head was decent.

Smell - Not much, grassy, some grain and minimal funky adjunct smell. Not bad for the style.

Taste - Grainy taste some light corn in particular. Not much else, but not distracting sweetness either that I often find in adjuncts.

Mouthfeel - Good fizzy feel, that is thirst quenching and yet soft in the mouth too.

Overall - Still in my mind one of the best AAL's or at least one of the ones most to my liking. (706 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I really enjoyed this beer. it is tasty, goes down smoothly, and some how stayed cold for a while. (maybe because its winter) but my first time having this beer a year or so ago, i had to get it again because i enjoyed it so much. . although i think the packaging could be a little more attractive, its affordable, and as i said good. I will recommend this beer to anyone. (372 characters)

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.