Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Reviews: 765 | Hads: 2,530
2.56/5  rDev -2.3%

I think I remember this beer having body, but maybe I just remember drinking it warm. Its nearly a clear straw color with high carbonation activity. A light white fizzy head tops it, but its not covering up the smell. The aroma, almost stereotypical of green bottled beers, is slightly of malt, slightly of off-hops. The body is thin, easy to swallow, and I guess this is the appeal.

But they're giving money to clean up Bellingham Bay, so I'll drink it. On rare occasion

2.01/5  rDev -23.3%

Appearance – I was shocked to see a large head rise out of my modest pour. It held on for a few minutes as well and laced the glass. The beer itself is standard macro yellow.

Smell – I was equally as shocked not to find any skunk in the bottle. The only aroma I could locate was faint corn, but at least it wasn’t repulsive.

Taste – The lack of any real flavor fell more in line with this pessimistic taste. A one-dimensional corn/grain/water mixture came and went in a matter of moments. For a second it seemed like it was going to try and finish with some genuine sweetness, but it gave up mid-way through the effort.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation is cheap and foamy.

Drinkability – The lack of any sheer nastiness gets this one past my macro test, but just barely.

2.91/5  rDev +11.1%

Wow, with a fast pour, i got a very decent head and really good lacing. I wasn't expecting. What I was expecting was a big whiff o' skunk when i popped the top, I wasn't let down. The head is mostly gone by now, and so is the skunk, or i may have gotten used to it.

what a bland beer. There is not much to the nose. a little malty but not much. The taste is the same. It is pretty middle-of-the-road. Clean, i suppose.

There was a time when i thought this beer was classy. I have since progressed.

3.5/5  rDev +33.6%

This is my one of my ultimate lawnmower beers. It actually quenches my thirst, guess that's cause of the high watery content. I like it when I go fishing or cooking out, then I give a little to the burgers on the grill. What can I say about the rankings I gave it? App: Very pale color with a little bit of carbonated head that dies down rather quickly. Smell: Kind of skunky, but nothing too overbearing to ruin the essence of it. You can definately smell the hops. Taste: Similar to the smell, but waterier(if that's a word). Mouthfeel: Bubbly and light on the mouth. Drinkability: Give me a case and I'm set!

2.49/5  rDev -5%

Average carbonation. Light straw color. Very light - definitely in the category of "lawnmower beer." Moderate aftertaste. Slightly unpleasant odor. Watery mouth feel noticeable on the tip of the tongue (I get the same reaction from Coors Light) and at the finish. Moderate amount of lacing left on the glass. Generally, average. Slightly more enjoyable than a mainstream premium beer.

2.52/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a pale yellow with a nice foamy white head. Aroma wasn't too bad, with some nice hop bitterness in the nose. Taste fell flat, however, with a healthy dose of adjuncts complimented by fresh skunk. Finish was dry and mellow.

there was a time I really enjoyed this beer, but tasting what I taste now, there's not enough quality here to recommend it. Drinkable, but not preferable.

2.74/5  rDev +4.6%

This was one very light colored beer. Looks like a light beer to me. It also tastes like a light beer. Lots of adjunct flavors of corn and grain. This is not a pale ale. Where are the hops? I notice a slight maltiness at the onset but hops are nowhere to be found. Finishes dry and grainy. I'd only have this beer again if I were playing drinking games with it.

2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Pungent, almost "skunky" aroma, which I'm not sure of what's it made. Poured with a really small head that left very quickly. Clear and light yellow (I'll say that's extra pale). Mix of malt and hops flavors. Somewhat bitter and again with the pungent and skunk-like qualities. Shorter finish of mild bitterness. Fully carbonated, with some softness, and rather thin. For mass produced products I haven't minded this as much as many others, maybe because it reminds me of Point Special (for which I have a fondness). But I don't think this is a great beer. Fairly thirst quenching. Watery enough to be a session beer, if a guy can get past the carbonation. Needs to be consummed quickly, as flavor changes for the worse as it warms.

2.48/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A very pale yellow beer with lots of carbonation. A pristine white soda pop head, like 7-Up, dies down quickly. Nothing really stands out smell-wise, just kind of a macro beer smell.

Taste is better than a Coor's Light, but what is that saying? No malt, no hops, just the adjuncts (both corn and rice). Mouthfeel is bubbly and crisp, best part of this beer, but not enough to redeem it. This was given to me by my neighbor so I don't know what they cost, but if it's any more than 3 bucks a sixer, stick with Red Dog . It's a beer that fits for a hot sweltering day, but I'd just as soon seek out something else.

1.08/5  rDev -58.8%

When poured into my glass, this beer had a large white head with small bubbles that quickly diminished. There is a lot of carbonation with this beer and absolutely no lacing on the sides of my glass. The aroma is awful as is the taste. Yuck!! The body hue is yellow. It tastes thin and water-downed. Definitely no character in this beers.

1.78/5  rDev -32.1%

Rolling Rock is one of my friend's favorite beers, and he always has a case sitting around his apartment. I decided (against my better judgement) to accept one when I was offered it. Since there was no point in pouring it in a glass, I just sipped it from the bottle... I guess you could call it the "Rolling Rock Experience."
This beer tastes of pure adjunct. I remember thinking to myself in my Homer Simpson voice " mmmmmmmmm ..... Ad-juncts....." Oh God is this beer terrible. Its pure corn with "beer" flavor added. No hops, only the faintest hint of some kind of barley malt. There is nothing redeeming about this swill. Definitely not recommended.

2.67/5  rDev +1.9%

The bottled Rolling Rock really brings out the adjuct flavour and aroma ... very corny with a steely after taste. The run of the mill carboantion gives some crips refreshing character ... other than that this beer is quite bland. Very little in the hops department as well ... hint of alcohol in the finish shows again that it is a beer.

3.2/5  rDev +22.1%

12 oz bottle. This is another one of those beers that I grew up drinking... well actually stealing from my dads stash. I still enjoy this on a hot day. Typical golden yellow. Smells like most macros heavy on the corn mild on the hops, good carbonation. Better when ice cold. I'd take this over most other macros any day.

2.98/5  rDev +13.7%

Kinda rocky heterogeneous head with some sticking power on top of an “extra pale” body. Well, it’s no surprise since it’s billed that way. Carbonation seems light after pouring. Sports that famous funky Rolling Rock aroma consisting of corn, cooked broccoli, husk, and a hint of lime rind. Spicy, grassy hops and some corny sweetness that builds over time. I prefer to open the a bottle and leave it in the fridge for a few minutes before drinking to subvert the ferocious carbonation. Not a good beer, but one that’s easy to get along with, and like some people have said, good with BBQ. A cheap beer to have on a hot, outdoor day. We enjoyed a few bottles of this on the first really humid, uncomfortable day of the year to wash down a spicy order of wings.

1.36/5  rDev -48.1%

This brew pours a medium head of fine to medium sized white bubbles and a straw yellow body. It has a very mild malt-hop aroma with poor lacing and flat hoppy flavor that is weak and watery. Not a brew that I would ever recommend even to my worst enemy!

2.85/5  rDev +8.8%

i actually don't mind this brew, and prefer it to most, if not all other macros. pours an ever so slightly darker yellow than your standard macro with a minimal head. tastes of grain and a bit of corn, but there is actual flavour here. goes down very smooth and is quite a thirst quencher and palate cleanser. especially good if served ice cold. certainly not the greatest beer in the world, but not bad in a pinch or when there's a distinct lack of selection.

1.93/5  rDev -26.3%

Green bottle, pours a bright clear golden-yellow color, has a small foamy white head that doesn't last long, light grainy aromas. Starts with a light dry grainy flavor, finishes clean with a little sweetness, not much aftertaste or any flavor for that matter, I wont won't be drinking this again anytime soon.

3.13/5  rDev +19.5%

The ultimate in summer thirst-quenching beers...served ice cold on a steaming hot day, it seems almost perfect. But if you try it anytime else, it falls quickly back to reality...an average American lager...full of corn and rice adjuncts.

The beer pours pale with a soft white head.

The aroma is the distinctive "cooked corn" DMS with little else.

The taste is inoffensive sweet corn that tastes crisp when cold, but grainy and harsh as it warms.

This beer is fine for those long hot summer days....safe to avoid anythime else.

2.68/5  rDev +2.3%

Bought in the 22 oz green bomber screen printed bottle..."From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe"
Beer pours pretty average for a slightly above average macro..one good thing is it retains a small head for quite some time..the beer itself is pale yellow with nice carbonation.
Like most macros the aroma was not good barelly discernable..there is some slight hop aroma thats about it.
The tase is actually not that bad..its lightweight but i actually tase a wee bit of malt and some weak hops.
average on the mouth nothing great.
Despite its weakness or maybe in spite its a fairly drinkable beer..though uninspiring.
By the way what does the "33" mean? The amount of these you would need to drink to get drunk?

1.7/5  rDev -35.1%

Light, clear yellow with a thin white head that dissipates immediately. There was no lacing whatever. Highly carbonated and fizzy mouthfeel is also quite watery. The taste when cold is tolerable if not good; as the beer warms it has an unpleasant and sweet taste that repels. Though it comes in a light green bottle, I did not notice any skunkiness.

2.33/5  rDev -11.1%

A very dear friend and neighbor of mine is from Latrobe, PA. . . .But as one of those Greek philosophers once observed (albeit in a very different context), sometimes one must honor the truth more highly than one's friends.

Poured out of the can (!), I'm looking at a light golden color, with a thin white head that disappears almost immediately. The nose suggests sweet corn, alongside an earthy aroma, with traces of something like the 'muddy' smell that follows a fresh rain. The flavor is somewhat grainy, with hints of malt and some metallic notes, and not much else going on. Others have called this brew 'watery,' and it is that. But my biggest problem with this one is that, especially as it warms, it becomes intolerably sweet, and lacks the crisp, sharp bite that I look for in the lager style.

2.23/5  rDev -14.9%

I've never had a Rolling Rock, be it when in Georgia from a Bottle or when in Connecticut on tap, that didn't taste like someone dropped a chunk of metal into the fermentation tank. I know that the tanks at Latrobe are supposedly glass-lined, but maybe they should consider cleaning them at some point. I've had this beer upward of thirty times, so it's not a bad batch.

Only a good choice when nothing better, at any price, is available. At the Spigot in Hartford it's the cheap pitcher, but skip this one and grab a pitcher of SN Celebration while it lasts.

2.43/5  rDev -7.3%

It certainly looks as the name suggests: extra pale. A nice amount of carbonation and a reasonably creamy-ish head for a "standard" pale ale of that color more or less left me with hopes that my not-so-fond recollections were mistaken.

But they weren't.

Very watery with little to no flavor. No significant aroma other than something akin to the insides of a chemical plant. After being forced to do karaoke and returning to the now lukewarm beer, I discovered that it became almost impossible to drink as an almost rotten, warm bitterness had overtaken the light maltiness. This is definately an OK beer when you're already a little tipsy, and I'd imagine it works you're looking for something to work with something hot or a mild fish. But it's definately not worth drinking if you're just having conversation. By the time you get halfway through the bottle, it'll be undrinkable.

2.33/5  rDev -11.1%

Rolling Rock is one of those beers that has been around for a pretty long time and has its own following for some reason. I guess the reason why many of us fear Interbrew buying up good Belgian breweries is because they might end up turning many of our favorite brews into stuff like Rolling Rock (brewed by the Latrobe Brewery, which was bought by Labatt, who was then bought by Interbrew).

I must say that Todd of the Brothers Alstrom was about dead on with his assessment of this beer. Just a warning if my review sounds too much like his. Rolling Rock pours a pale straw color with very active carbonation. A decent foamy white head forms and leaves a tiny amount of lace. The smell really is quite heavy on DMS/corn, with some husky grains and a little bit of alcohol in the nose. The mouthfeel is watery and seltzer-like. The taste is very light, but the DMS/corn flavor seems to be the focal point. Small amount of grains and malt in the flavor. The hops add a touch of lemony flavor. The presence of plain selzter flavor is also present. There is a slight dryness in the finish. The aftertaste is quite clean save for some paper taste and the corny/DMS taste. The beer concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

Rolling Rock is a watery American lager that is easy to drink and a good palette cleanser. Be sure to drink it cold. For some reason, this seems to be the best beer sold in places like Applebee's, which isn't very reassuring. What does "33" stand for anyway?

3.33/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a very light straw-colored beer. It pours with a white head that quickly fades to nothing. The aroma is a light grain smell with a hint of citrus and noticeable sweetness. Nothing special, but not offensive. The taste is light, crisp, and refreshing. A touch of sweetness and a hint bitterness is all you get, but it finshes very clean. The mouthfeel is light and refreshing as well, but still a bit harsh due to the lighter body and the artificial carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, and I find myself drinking more of these in the summer due to the light body and refreshing qualities. A solid, cheap, mass produced beer.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.