Rolling Rock Extra Pale - Latrobe Brewing Co.

Rolling Rock Extra PaleRolling Rock Extra Pale

poor

poor

Latrobe Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-02-2001

Using a time-honored recipe with only the finest malted barley and blend of hops, Rolling Rock is a classic American lager that is as well-known for its distinctive, full-bodied taste as it is for its craftsmanship, heritage and painted green bottle.

Full-flavored, with a subtle bite. Light-to-medium body and color. Brewed with only the choicest ingredients; a perfect blend of pale barley malt, rice and corn.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rolling Rock Extra Pale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,467 | Reviews: 802
2.8/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a light golden,with a head that surprisingly lasts longer than others in this genre.
Smell is of a faint citrus.
Taste is very nice hints of citrus,well balanced hops,very crisp clean taste
mouthfeel is well carbonated and smoothe.
Drinkability exceptionally high,due to mild taste and refreshing qualities. In closing I would say,that this definitely not a beer connoisseur's type beer,but... for just some old belly scratching,work'in around the yard beer,can't get much better than this,Hey! I like it better than Bud!

2.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Well .. for presentation I do like the green screened bottle!

Appearance- Quite pale in color, lots of bubbles, uneven head.
Aroma- Surprised me a little, a decent initial yeasty whiff.
As to flavor, no malt body, rather inoffensive. Some graininess.
The finish is very thin and dry, leading to its core attribute, it is quite drinkable.

I do have to wonder whether this beer was somewhat heftier say 40 years ago. Why did this brewery survive? Was it just consistent?

3.4/5  rDev +31.8%

This is a beer I used to enjoy sometimes and hate others, and usually bashed by BA's so I'll try to do an unbiased review.
Pours with a puffy white head, which did not last and light gold body, which you would expect from American pale lager. Lots of carbonation.
Smell is a faint sweet, but veggie smell however not offensive.
Taste is unique to this brand-light and slightly sweet with a dry finish. No particular hop character. Adjuncts are noticeable but well balanced to make a highly drinkable, sometimes refreshing brew with little offensive off flavors. This beer was a favorite of mine in the college years, some days this is really refreshing and tasty, and other days tastes like piss, it just all depends on my taste buds' mood.

3.05/5  rDev +18.2%

It pours a pale, straw yellow with a quick-swelling puffy white head. There's little retention, but it is very visibly carbonated.

The aroma brings a light malt note along with a cereal grain character and mild grassiness. Hops are distantly on the horizon.

It's sweet on the tongue from first sip to the last, with a malt presence that plays second fiddle to a very real corn flavor, as though the Jolly Green Giant plopped a bunch of niblets into the vat. But not to overplay that, it's what's expected, so the cereal character works adequately. A very dull and dim hops bitterness plays at the finish.

Light bodied, it swishes about the mouth a bit more sunstantively than water, and leaves behind little memory of itself save a dull bitterness at the back of the tongue.

This is one of my quiet, guilty pleasures, always a treat on the deck in the sun, or on the boat, or at any outdoor festivity where some more craft-oriented brews might not be available to me. It's crisp, refreshing, and hits you where you live, which is right in the old thirst button, and I don't know how much more you can ask out of a beer that costs what this one does. A great value, with enough decent flavor to make it worth drinking, and with the right elements to make it drinkable.

2.95/5  rDev +14.3%

If you're out with people who don't understand good beer, or in a place that doesn't serve good beer, Rolling Rock is a great selection. I don't bother to pour it into a glass, as I wouldn't want my monogrammed mug to get the wrong idea about my taste and it wouldn't really gain anything from the extra surface area anyhow. As another poster said, tastes much better than it smells, and quite refreshing on those hot (March???) days.

2.84/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a light gold color. Lots of carbonation.

Smell is corn funk, and some sweetness. This is one brew that
doesn’t have it in the smell department!

Taste is sweet corn and a bit of malt. Taste much better than is smells.

Mouthfeel is present and not that bad.

Mostly drinkable, beats Budweiser!

2.65/5  rDev +2.7%

The pour was a medium golden yellow with a small white head that left a slight froth on top througout the drink. Constant bubbles, but I wouldn't say there was too much carbonation. The smell was that of a stronger American lager, slightly spicy as well as skunky. There was a total lack of hop bite at the start this was followed by, get this, a smooth finish. You tell me but that's the best way I can describe it, even with out any hop bite there was a smooth finish. All and all it was a refreshing drink, really a great lawnmower beer.

2.06/5  rDev -20.2%

I had this on tap at the Chicago Stadium.

The beer poured a nice dark yellow with suspiciously large bubbles in the head. Do they use a foaming agent?

Not much in the way of an appetizing smell. I got aromas of sulfur and cooked veggies. Maybe a hint of malt.

The taste was very bland. This is one of the few beers where I actually think the bottled version is superior to the tap version. The taste was subpar. It was slightly sweet, but not in the good malty way. Perhaps the sweetness comes from an adjunct. Hops are not even on the radar screen. This is basically a semi-sweet fizzy drink that lacks complexity and character.

Mouthfeel is thin, the best part is the snappy carbonation. Drinkability is poor, this is a why bother beer. Quite possibly the worst $5 I have spent on a beer. It suffered in comparison to the MGD I had and that was no great shakes either.

2.4/5  rDev -7%

Let's start with the postive stuff: Rolling Rock Extra Pale has a cool name and a great looking bottle with nice paint-work (even if it is skunky green). Back in college, I thought I was drinking premium beer when I cracked an old Latrobe product.

More than any other beer, this one has a very distinctive "canned corn" taste. It tastes to me just the way a can of recently opened corn niblets smells. That's good if you like corn flavored beverages, maybe not so good if you like beer flavored beverages.

In any case, I come back to Rolling Rock from time to time because it's a nostalgic lawner-mower beer that won't knock me off the John Deer if I have more than two.

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pale straw gold, with a fluffy white head. Smells mostly of cereal, malt, and freshly cut grass. This beer has grown on me the more I try it. As far as euro-styled American lagers go, this is alright. Maybe a little too much graininess, but it balances out the euro "skunk" flavor. A fairly priced ($8 for 12) beer that is easy to drink. I don't dislike this one anymore.

3.28/5  rDev +27.1%

Kind of a mediocre beer in most respects, but it was a gateway beer for me so I have fond memories of it. Oddly, despite the green bottle, I've never had a skunky Rock yet.

Rolling Rock was the first beer I enjoyed (I know, I know, I plead insanity), being that it had more character than BudMillerCoors but wasn't as rough on the palate for a neophyte beer drinker as, say, Sam Adams.

The bottle for some reason just wants to be rolled back and forth in your hands after you've poured the beer... or better yet, just drunk it. Rolling Rock is a beer that wants to be drunk straight out of the bottle.

2.98/5  rDev +15.5%

long skate sesh, tired, beaten, broken....need refreshment. cheap buy at the corner store, pours pale yellow...weaksauce head. the smell? cooked corn up in here! smells a tad sweet, not impressive. taste wise? sweet, corny, slightly metallic...and even though that sound like bad news, it really isnt...this beer isnt bad. refreshing in the mouth, very drinkable. its simple, not skunky and cheap. i dig it.

2.78/5  rDev +7.8%

Served in the 12 oz. green bottle. The color was a light golden, with a bit of head. The smell was sweetness. The taste was somewhat sweeter than expected, and seemed a bit adjuncted, with a very slight bitterness in the taste. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, for what it is I could have a few.

Obviously not a world classic, but for a lawnmower beer it's not bad at all. Since it's everywhere here in Southwestern PA, I imagine I'll have it again.

2.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Once upon a time (30 some odd years ago) this was really considered by many to be a "Premium" U.S. Lager. This Extra Pale pours a light yellow color with a bubbly snow-white head on top. The aroma is reminiscent of opening a can of corn, with just a tad hop smell and faint fresh mowed lawn. The thin malt body tastes of corn and white bread. The mild hops are of the metallic variety, with a little lemony flavor. It's clean crisp and light and not at all offensive, except maybe a little Euro-skunkiness in some bottles.

2.23/5  rDev -13.6%

I remember buying this a case at a time in order to get bar bottles. It tasted fine with just about everything and it felt cool to drink out of the long neck bottles in restaurants. But, now the matter at hand. We have a light, clear gold liquid capped with an ephemeral creamy head. The aroma is a bit grainy. The taste is a little grainy with some bite, but not much hop presence. There is also a slight sweetness to the taste. The finish is just a little dry, nothing to really speak of. Overall it is a thin and watery beer. I rarely drink Rolling Rock these days, but while writing this I've been inspired to have one after the first lawn mow this year, for old times sake.

1.35/5  rDev -47.7%

Average to below average beer. very pale ale that needs to be served ice cold. If not taste is unholy! Did I say needs to be ice cold to take down. Just really did nothing for me. It's a beer that can be tossed down without too much thinking...see macro type. My brother in law likes this...I have no idea why. Probably cause it is cheap. I'll have one or two but that's it only because that's all he has...then again I'll pass.

Pale, lite and goes down easy(if served ice cold...again).
Much, much better beers out there.

I'll pass on this one.

Cheers

1.35/5  rDev -47.7%

Two Words: Creamed Corn. Thats what you taste and smell when you drink this stuff. What an awful brew. It looks different in its silk screen green bottles, but it tastes like absolute garbage. The taste of corn dominates this beer. The smell is awful... Don't even attempt to drink this beer unless it is extremely cold and you are extremely thirsty. Its cheap, but so is Spam. Doesn't mean its good. If you're gonna plunk down 14-15 bucks on a case, get some Yeungling.

2.98/5  rDev +15.5%

This is a beer meant to be drunk straight off the bottle. As for its color, it becomes hard to comment here because it's always "drunk straight off the bottle". Anyway, it's nice sea green, like a sea cucumber. The smell is also hard to get at through its small yet succulent mouth. Really, it's not so hot though: it's a little sweet, like the mild malts of a light beer. From here on, the beer goes up in the reviewer's standards. It tastes clear...dude--it's so smooth. Something of lemons in there I think, if it's compared to a fruit. The mouthfeel is probably the highpoint of this beer, which adds to its great drinkability. It's a little bit refreshing--crisp, tight carbonation. It's a perfect spring drink, something to watch baseball to, perhaps a Reading Phillies game. And there you have it: Rolling Rock is something of a minor league drink.

3.18/5  rDev +23.3%

The last time I had this was one or two years ago, back when it was a staple in my pre-21 college beer diet. Well, I just came home from school for the break. None of the beers I brought were cold yet, and I saw a case of Rocks sitting in the fridge, so I was more than happy to visit an old friend. Enjoyed with cold pepperoni pizza.

The head was generous and had that kinda fake, really really white color. It disappeared in a matter of seconds.

It's funny how I can really taste this beer now. When I used to drink it all the time it just tasted like beer. Now, I can't enjoy the taste of a lager much, but I didn't mind drinking this. The best part about it was its thirt-quenching ability. Very refreshing. It would have been even better if this was summer instead of winter.

I think its good to mix it up with beers like this that you normally do not drink or prefer. Even if you can't enjoy them, they'll still put your belgians and stouts in perspective.

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

After drinking Rolling Rock, it is definitely one of my favorite pale ales. It has a great mouthfeel, and really tastes great. The moutfeel is also pretty good as well. I call it and Killian's my "Horsey Beers." Obviously because of the horses on the front. Overall, Rolling Rock is a great pale ale, and I recommend it to anyone.

2.14/5  rDev -17.1%

Presented in a Bomber Bottle. Not exactly terrible as a beer, just an okay summer refresher. The servicably sudsy head kicks up a definite smell of corn. Pale, pale color signals weak malt character. Slight yeast bite. A touch of hop bitterness comes in toward the end, and lingers after you're done.

3.2/5  rDev +24%

Rolling Rock Pale is one of those cool, kind of nondescript beers that make for great summertime backyard drinking. I'll frequently pick it up when it's on sale, which it usually is, at least at MY local grocery store. It's light and refreshing for the most part, easily drinkable and not really outstanding in any way. I really like to have a couple of sixers on hand whenever I roll out the barbecue pit on hot summer days. Easy, EASY back porch drinking.

Pours with a fair head. This is a well carbonated beer. More like soda than some sodas. No nose to speak of, it hints at corn and ever-so-slight hops. Extremely clear in complexion.

Rolling Rock Pale tastes very clean. A little bit heavy on the corn adjuncts perhaps, but it slides down easy enough. No real taste here to get in the way of your drinking enjoyment. It gets good marks on drinkability. It's easy to put away a lot of these with no ill effects. This is not a beer that you want to drink warm, though. It gets REAL bitter and bland if you let it sit for any length of time. Get a cold one out of the ice chest and don't waste a whole lot of time drinking it.

2.02/5  rDev -21.7%

I don't know what happened, I liked the rock in the bottle. The tap had somethig else entirely to offer. Maybe it was the fact that I just finished an arrogant Bastard. It poured a weak urine yellow color with very little head. The smell was ok, but the taste, oh man, what the hell. What a horrible taste. It was very watery and super acidic. There's not much else to say about that taste. I may never drink Rolling Rock again.

2.98/5  rDev +15.5%

Very light yellow appearance. It had a decent head, with ok lacing. Smell was light and very indistinguishable. Taste was not noteworthy, but had some very slight bitter notes. Mouthfeel was very light. Fairly smooth on the drinkability scale. I drank this one ice cold...seemed like a good brew after scrorching in the summer sun. Frankly, I was expecting worse, but this brew was ok.

3.18/5  rDev +23.3%

A pretty average beer. Yet, a good average beer. Above average quality at a very affordable price. I picked up a 12 pack of bottles for 11 bucks. Not too shabby for a poor fellow such as myself.

I personally do not like the aroma of this beer. The intial scent is that of a sweet extra pale lager, but undernearth it lurks something that smells like my car after i left a hoagie in it on a hot day. But since this smell is not overpowering, its not that big of a deal.

The beer has a nice mouthfeel. The taste is sweet and easy going. it goes down quite nicely. A pleasant beer that is realtively refreshing. The aftertaste left something to be desired. Once the intial sweet taste faded, I was left with the taste of corn and I felt a bit parched.

This beer is absolutely perfect for a summer grilling session or hanging out by the pool. Rolling Rock comes in a green bottle that is sans label (which is a nice touch). A step above Bud and Coors, but not by much. Recomended beer for someone who just wants to drink some decent suds with his homeboys.

Rolling Rock Extra Pale from Latrobe Brewing Co.