Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier HellJulius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell Alström Bros
allengarvin

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Pint-bottle, served into a clean weizen glass at around 50F.

Appearance: cloudy golden pour, fairly light at the thin base of the glass, with a thick, persistent head of foam about two fingers deep.

Aroma: Very spicy, yeasty aroma, citrus notes. Canonical banana-fruit aroma.

Body/Flavor: Light body and soft character, with the initial flavor being spiciness on the middle of the tongue. Lots of carbonation. Big vanilla and fruit flavors (cantaloupe? banana?) follow, and linger in the finish.

I didn't remember the beer being this good a hefeweizen; this is a very good example of the style, on the medium-low-end of the yeast/spice scale.

09-09-2004 03:17:59 | More by allengarvin
Hibernator

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

I had this out of a 16 oz brown and served in a wheat glass. I was unable to find a freshness date label. Nice looking bottle.

Classic hefe weiss scent and aromas. Smells of yeast, cloves and bannana. Cloudy in appearance.

Tastes with a light to medium body. Slightly spicy with hints of lemon.

Very refreshing and easy to drink. Put this away with ease and enjoyed every sip.

09-08-2004 01:02:05 | More by Hibernator
rdrummer

A very nice Hefe-weizen on tap at the Ginger Man and served in the traditional Hefe glass. It poured a cloudy light gold with a large, long-lasting head. The lacing was thick all the way down the glass. The aroma was a mix of wheat, clove, and citrus with a hint of the yeast. The taste is typically wheaty almost bready with a hint of several spices, including clove and some fruitiness. There is the usual hint of citrus as well. Right at the end there is the slight hit of bitter hops.

The beer is full-bodied with a nice level of carbonation. This is so creamy that it goes down really nice. It was superb to the last drop, and I will be looking for another one.

09-01-2004 23:25:54 | More by rdrummer
bultrey

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Here it is... an awesome session beer if I ever tasted one. Served to me in a 20 oz. Echter glass at Anam Cara about a month ago. Fluffy white head, gentle banana, spice and citrus aromas. Taste reveals some of the same, but much less banana than many Hefes. This is a feature I like in Hefes, as I don't like to be overwhelmed by banana flavor, but a hint is OK. Here, I pick up some nice citrus and even very subtle tropical fruit, like pineapple, along with some vanilla. The mouthfeel is luscious, fuller than many Hefeweizens, and the finish is so crisp and clean and refreshing. I could seriously drink this all night, and one night before the weather goes south, I think I just might. I tried this again from the bottle just a few days ago, and I found the beer to be almost exactly the same.

I've said this before -- I've never been a huge hefe fan, but a handful of them are making me see the light. I find alot of similarities between this and another kick-ass Hefe, the Brooklyn Weiss.

08-24-2004 02:45:28 | More by bultrey
rousee

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

Had never seen this one on tap before (at least not in the USA). While the bottled version tends to be quite good, I thought it was noticeably better on tap; Just plain fresher.

I had this beer at one of the best beer bars I have ever patronized. When I asked the bartender, who was extremely knowledgeable, he told me the tap version had more hints of vanilla than the bottled. I didn't disagree but that is not what stood out for me. The freshness of draft versus bottle and the cleanliness of the beer lines at this place and the painstaking details that this establishment goes through to ensure maximum quality of all their beers are what impressed me the most.

08-19-2004 03:28:34 | More by rousee
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

The beer pours a straw to light golden straw color with a nice 3 finger head that falls to a fingers worth of head. The nose is nice, with a good banana and nice sweetness from the wheat coming through. This beer definately is dominated by the wheat malts, with the banana taking second billing; just opposite what the nose told me I would taste. I remember this being better than it is this time around. I'm going to let it warm and see what that does with it.

Warming doesn't seem to change the taste much. The beer is moderate to thick but is lacking the creamy character I prefer. There are more drinkable hefe's out there, but I wouldn't pass this one over if it was available. I put it above average to good.

08-17-2004 00:44:16 | More by kmpitz2
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a cloudy gold color with one finger of head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is sweet with lots of banana and wheat malt. The taste is almost like the smell, but some cloves come through in the taste. Very well balanced. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is good as well. A nice Hefe.

08-14-2004 21:03:29 | More by SheepNutz
filabrazilia

Colorado

Pours a cloudy copper gold with a fluffy head.

There is a doughy yeasty aroma that mingles with a robust fruit element.

A cider flavor mingles with yeast and citrus to create a unique taste that is unlike any other weisse I have ever had.

Thin and infinitely drinkable. There is a reason why the Germans call these breakfast beers--they are light, smooth and very refreshing and easy to drink.

I like this beer alot and cannot wait to try to Dunkel.

07-22-2004 03:41:04 | More by filabrazilia
gentlebubbles

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

A dense, delicious-looking, creamy white head piles up and piles up, holding its shape past the rim of the glass as I pour in the hazy tangerine beer. That smell--I know it now--it's the smell of grass cuttings piled on the lawn that have started to ferment already in the heat. And it's oddly sweet yet musty.

Bitterness leaps on the tongue up front, as the mouth fills with creamy, tart bubbles. The sourness lingers, fading to a vaguely orangey taste.

This is freaking me out, though. Either there's some spell in this stuff, or it's so hot, I'll drink anything. I can't say it tastes good to me, but it tastes like it's good for me.

06-10-2004 00:20:00 | More by gentlebubbles
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a deep hazy gold with a huge, creamy, ivory head. Very lacy. Rich banana and light cloves in the nose. Sweet wheat malt aromas.

Taste is exactly like the smell. Rich banana and light cloves. Sweet wheat malt with just a hint of lemon. Lightly sticky and sweet but a bit thin. It's damn good, if not for the watery mouthfeel, this might be one of my favorite hefes. But it's still quite solid.

05-13-2004 00:37:58 | More by ViveLaChouffe
Mitchster

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours out to a cloudy peach, forming a tall, dense, whipped white head with excellent retention and great lacing. The aroma is wondrous, tart and phenolic with a classic mix of (green) bananas and cloves. Carbonation is medium-strong. Mouthfeel is initially spritzy, then watery with a light body. Taste is quite interesting. There are the aformentioned bananas and cloves initially, but then a very delicate pale-malt and wheat-malt body offers a gentle sweetness off-setting the yeast, hop, and carbonic tartness. There is a very brief touch of metal. The finish is EXTREMELY clean with a watery crispness, making this refreshingly easy to drink. As it warms, a honey-like sweetness emerges in the aftertaste with lemon zest notes.

In a word, wonderful. This is a very easy to drink Hefe-Weiss. Although I could stand to have more bananas in it, the uniquely delicate malt sweetness and clean finish make this a great summer/session brew.

03-31-2004 22:48:44 | More by Mitchster
travolta

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

16oz bottle

Apperance: Great white head that is foamy to the max and sticks around to the max. The color is a clear golden yellow, although I have not added the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. Wow, great foamy head! Nice lacing.

Nose: Earth, grass, wheat, yeast, freshly baked crackers.

Taste: A lot of the same hefe characteristics, wheat, lemon, a little butter. This is what i want from a hefe. Not too bitter. In fact, it's only bitter in the middle of the taste, very nice entrance and exit.

Notes: I just added the yeast and it really clouded things up. Ive never done that before. The yeast really makes a change. The nose and taste have not been too effected by this addition, anly adding some fruity characteristics. It also added a bite.

03-16-2004 03:01:41 | More by travolta
aracauna

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -11.5%

Starts off nicely with an excellent appearance. The body is cloudy and dark gold and it is topped off by a perfectly white dimpled white foam. Lively carbonation feeds the head and keeps it from fading. The aroma is strong, cloves and vanilla ride about a faint banana (I prefer my bubblegum/banana esters bigger than this, but this is still nice). The flavor is a bit of a let-down after the looks and smell. Good wheatiness, a nice little bit of ripe banana in the back end, but not a lot else going on. It's tasty, but I still prefer Schneider and a few others. Now, if we could just get American breweries to start doing this style justice.

03-15-2004 19:16:53 | More by aracauna
AllThingsNinja

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

This hazy happy brew was served in a 22 oz hefe-weisen glass and drew a comparatively small head. It had a mellow banna-wheat aroma. The flavors were smooth with a honey sweetness complimenting the fruity wheat based brew. I'm not a fan of the style, but really enjoyed this beer. The slightly heavier body may have helped to sway my opinion. It was quite a drinkable and refreshing beer.

03-14-2004 11:59:57 | More by AllThingsNinja
smcolw

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Golden in color, cloudy in clarity, Echter Hefe-Weiss fits the category wonderfully. The white head was on the small side.

The aroma featured powerful citrus and wheat as would be expected in this category.

The esters of banana were the first notes in taste. The wheat/hop finish would be expected. I also enjoyed the honey flavors that came in the middle.

With a puckering tartness, this beer is slightly heavier than I would normally expect. In terms of drinkability, this is excellent example of the style and would work well after a long summer day.

02-01-2004 03:18:18 | More by smcolw
RoyalT

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance – This poured a beautiful orange hazy color with a tight, white, foaming head that showed great retention.

Smell – The yeast and banana notes came flying out of the glass right through the big, foamy head. There seems to be a bit of mild spicing to this one as well.

Taste – The yeast flavor came out nicely here, albiet a little short of the promise at the nose, along with a bit of banana and maybe some mild orange. There also seemed to be a hint of some spice as well; maybe some white pepper?

Mouthfeel – This one showed medium carbonation and was light and fluffy.

Drinkability – This made for a terrific afternoon snack. It had all the components of a good Hefe Weissbier.

01-12-2004 00:50:49 | More by RoyalT
mschofield

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

Cloudy orange-gold with frothy three finger white head, there was still a sizable portion of head when I finished, and by the looks of it, the rest was left as lacing.
Strong banana taste and aroma. A little green apple, in the aroma, with clove.
Wheat comes out in the taste, a little bit of lemon, a little nutty
Very pleasant, clean and easy to drink, medium body.
Drinkability? I should stop writing reviews at work, I won't be back home and in my fridge to grab another one for hours. This may have ruined some of the lesser Hefe-weizens for me. Next summer I'll go through quite a few of them sitting on the deck.

12-18-2003 18:10:36 | More by mschofield
Hobbz

Rhode Island

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Not my favorite of the German Hefe's, but it has been awhile, so a retaste is in order.

Huge foam crown lifted itself from the pour. Many gassy bubbles quickly and continually were formed to escape under it all... Aroma and color were equal to the style: cloudy and straw-colored with nose of sweet clove-banana.

Tasted a nice yeasty-sweet liquid, but 'mild:' banana-clove aspects are not huge in this Würzberger beer.

I prefer more to my Hefe's, but this is a good medium offering and especially good for the introductory experience and upon which to base others out there.

12-07-2003 00:10:08 | More by Hobbz
AtLagerHeads

A very solid Hefe that looks the part and tastes just fine. From the murky yellow body to the substantial white topping the look is solidly wheat and this is repeated in the fruity and spicy aroma with hints of banana popping through. The flavor is fruity and spicy with clovishness throughout the flavor spectrum. Good mouthfeel with a decent finish. Easily a most drinkable brew.

11-15-2003 02:26:44 | More by AtLagerHeads
PZuke

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

A almost dark yellow hazy Heff. It has one of the better appearances out of the bottle with a very nice head. At my favorite restaurant they always have this beer and they give you the bottle and the half liter glass to pour it in yourself. Always an interesting event for the people sitting around you. The smell is of a little spice along with a yeasty banana fruity smell. It has a very clean taste that is not overpowering along with a nice clove spice that is a pretty good combination. While I would not call this my favorite Heff I would say that it is a little better then average and I would not pass up an opportunity of drinking this one.

10-29-2003 22:08:15 | More by PZuke
kaszeta

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

Sampled at the 2003 AOBF: Stammtisch

This weiss pours with a nice cloudy yellow body with plenty of frothy white head. The smell was wonderfully fruity, with plenty of banana and citrus notes, and a bit of graininess. The taste was sweet grain, again with some nice banana notes, fading to a slightly nutmeg-y aftertase. This was a very smooth weiss with a nice, light body. Very pleasant.

09-15-2003 20:00:02 | More by kaszeta
oberon

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a great blooming,sticky head,aroma is citruisy tart with a light spiciness in the background.The taste has some bubblegum flavors as well as citruis tones with little spiceness.A definent quaffer a real nice easy hefe to drink watching a game with a sub..

09-07-2003 17:33:34 | More by oberon
UncleJimbo

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Sampled on tap at Anam Cara Publick House.

This hefeweizen poured a cloudy, golden-brown color with pillowy, white foam that left lace down the glass. The smell was a subdued banana and wheat aroma. The taste was lightly sweet with flavors of wheat/grain, yeast, and mild banana. The mouthfeel was smooth with medium body and good carbonation. There was a pleasant, fruity aftertaste. This was a subtle, clean and refreshing hefeweizen, and very easy to drink.

08-31-2003 21:23:12 | More by UncleJimbo
SetarconeX

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

A cheerful yellow color, and quite cloudy. Pours a very nice, almost marshmellowing froth on top, which hangs around just long enough. Smell is light and sweet, as is the taste. There's enough citrus flavor here to make the lemon really optional. I'll admit, I havn't tried a lot of Hefe's, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit more than most of the similar American beers out there.

This is one of those rare beers I'd dare to come right out and call 'refreshing.' I think I could drink this stuff all day.

08-25-2003 05:23:04 | More by SetarconeX
taez555

This beer poured a HUGE white head, with a cloudy translucent yellow body. Highly highly carbonated. It took me several mintues to be able to pour it all into my weis glass.

The nose was a lovely mix of bananna, pears, apples, clove, yeast, some phenols and other spices. Basically a classic german weis.

The taste was very smooth. Highly carbonated. A light bananna flavor balanced nicely against a bitterness. Earthy with a slight citrus peel taste. A little tannic. Sweet. Actually for a weis it tended to be a little more bitter than I'm used to, but it was still very smooth and never once became overpowering.

It ended with a long sweet fruit tannic bitter finish.

Overall just a great example of a classic german weis beer.

08-16-2003 07:50:10 | More by taez555