Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier HellJulius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Presentation: 16oz brown glass euro-generic bottle, rust metallic on white label

Appearance: cloudy orange color, big head, very good lacing

Smell: clove, fruitness, yeast

Taste: medium body, crisp mouth feel, minor lemon, spicy clove, nuttiness, fruitness, malt in background

Notes: very refreshing

BeerBeing, Sep 25, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured a cloudy, peach yellow with small foamy white carbonation. I don't get a strong hefe smell on this. Not much banana, some fruit notes, and yeast. Tastes tart, and sour. Not like other hefe's I've had. This has almost a lager flovor. I keep looking at the bottle to make sure this is a hefe. It just doesn't taste true to style for me. No freshness date on bottle, so not sure it's good. But it tastes very average, and somewhat off. This is an ok hefe in my opinion, and an average beer overall.

finepaws, Aug 14, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

This hefe pours a nice, cloudy orange color, aided by plenty of yeast in the bottle. A nice mouthfeel gives way to a rich banana-like flavor, along with a slight hint of cloves. This is one of my summertime favorites, and there are always a few bottles of this in my 'fridge.

joev, Jul 16, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance - Light honey color and solid throughout but not super cloudy. Unfilitered juice quality and tinges of meringue in head.

Aroma - Subtly sour but otherwise quite light smell.

Taste - Classic hefe flavor with fruit citrus some sourness, and spike of honey sweetness with floral hop finish. Quite dry on the follow-through.

Mouthfeel - Nicely corbanated with full initial foaminess that fills mouth and carries flavors.

Very enjoyable and highly drinkable. As said before a nice classic hefe.

NoLiberty, Jul 07, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

This Hefe flows a nice cloudy orange into my Hefeweizen glass. The head is nice semi-solid. Some lace that sticks to the glass.
Smells and tastes like a nice Hefe-Weiss....banana flavor comes right thru.
This may be my new favorite Hefeweizen. Delicious, summer beer. Enjoy with frisbee, friends, and possibly burgers on the grill.

ILiveOffHops, Jul 06, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Served from a .5L bottle and poured into my Franziskaner hefeweizen glass.

Displays an attractive cloudy apricot color, a large volume of carbonation rushing to the surface, and a massive, pillowy white head that endured through the entire serving, leaving streaky lace behind.
The nose had a lot of banana aroma going on. Less detectable, but still easily picked up, were the notes of cloves, wheaty malts, and melon.
The taste lacked the strong banana punch I expected after smelling the beer. The doughy malts were more pronounced as was the cantaloupe tastes. Finishes with a decent spicy kick of clove.
Feel was light, refreshing, a bit watery to start yet finishing drily.
Overall, a nice refeshing hefeweizen that hit the spot near the end of a long day. I'd pick this hefeweizen up again, no problem.

Boilermaker88, Jun 26, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

The appearance of this beer is a translucent orange, and retains a decent thick head that laces the glass nicely. The taste is bready with lemon and melon flavors. The mouthfeel is a little watery, but not unacceptable. A great thist quencher on a hot day. Very drinkable. Overall, an enjoyable Hef that I'll have again.

gotbeer, Jun 04, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

I have had this one both on tap and in the bottle and I have to say I prefer this one from the bottle. This may be due to the condition of the tap lines and not the beer, but nonetheless, from my experience ths far; I prefer it in the bottle.

Poured from the slender brown 16oz. glass into a wiezen glass yeilding a perfect two-finger thick frothy snow-white head. The beer was a dull and hazy yellow with slight golden highlights. Lace clinged the the tall glass the entire length of the sample.

Smell is very strong citrus upfront. Lemon and an over all "fresh" scent just pours out of the beer. Very inticing.

The taste is malty with a crispness to it in every sip. Very refreshing as the hop character comes thru a little more with each sip and the lemon and other citrus flavors are quite noticable on the palate.

Light to moderate on the palate and very very easy to drink. Especially in the summer this is one to grab and have a few. Very enjoyable, very refreshing, and one I will have very often in the upcoming months.

Sycodrummer, May 20, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: A bomber on a diet, nope it's a trim 16 oz brown bottle with an attractive label, accented by a metallic orange/bronze trim. I poured this one into my Franziskaner weizen glass. Huge billowing white head, very active carbonation going on here. Beneath appears an unfiltered haze of straw liquid.

Aroma: Phenolic fruit scents with a faint clove scent. I have to say that this smells closer to a Belgian Wit than some hefe-weizens.

Taste: the hefe yeast in full effect, wheat backbone provides a bready flavor which is supplemented by a light citrus and clove presence.

Mouthfeel: medium body, crisp from the effervescent bubble action.

Drinkability: as with most weiss beers it goes down very smooth, a perfect summer session beer. After drinking a lot strong ales lately this is a welcome change.

HogHill, Apr 25, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -16%

Spring time. Need to try the hefes again. Poured a translucent and hazy orange, with a very thick and foamy head. That dissolved to form a thin layr on top. The aroma is bananas and cloves (ginger). The flavor is a preety good wheat bread like. Banana also comes through. Very,v ery slight alcohol on the tongue. the mouthfeel is a bit more watery than I prefer, but I am still unsure whether this is common for the style. However, this beer is still very smooth and easy to drink.

MuddyFeet, Mar 31, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -22.8%

A slightly hazey golden yellow beer> Has a big creamy white head. There is astrong yeasty character to the aroma. With a light citrus background. The mouth fel was very watery as opposed to the normal thicknees found in a hefe.The flavor seems to suffer from having a lack of substance to wrap it self around. There are just hints (ghosts accually) at clove and citus in the flavor.

ybnorml, Mar 23, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Appearance - A large fluffy head sits atop what can best best be described as a glass of sunshine! Cloudy and orange-straw colored. Decent head retention and beer lace.

Smell - Clovey spice leads off the smell. There is also some banana aroma in there.

Taste - Wheat-sweet, with a light grainy flavor. I also detect some citrus flavor in there, sort of like orange and lemon. A banana flavor acts as a backdrop. The aftertaste has a bit of acidic tang.

Mouthfeel - Smooth overall, with a sort of slippery feel to it. This seems a bit unusual, but it is not distracting.

Drinkability - This one is an easy drinker, and a good one at that. The body is perhaps just the slightest bit too thick.

Comments - This is a very pleasant hefe. Highly recommended.

mgdeth, Mar 06, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +11.5%

My favorite Hefe-Weizen!

I've tried this many times on tap at the Huettenbar in Chicago, but have not seen it in bottles until my trip to Meyer Delicatessen just up the street from the Huettenbar.

Pours a light amber with quite a hazy body. The head is substantial and rocky. Some lacing in the glass.

Smell is light clove, bread, and green bananas.

The taste is just smooth and refreshing to me. Everything I like in a wheat beer. A light banana flavor with some clove to give it a nice balance. Nice and round with some hints of bubblegum. Lovely!

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Smooth, soft, and supple!

Give me this on any hot day!

silenius, Mar 06, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

From the bottle, this beer pours a hazy rust-orange with a magnificent head three fingers tall. The aroma of this one is out of this world...bread, bananas, and cloves with a slight spice.

Taste is predominantly bready, yeasty, with a malty sweetness and a very slight sour tinge. Finishes smooth and sweet, with a bit of lingering tartness. Mouthfeel is very cool - high carbonation with a medium body. This one is easy to drink. I am very impressed with this brew.

beertastegood, Mar 03, 2005

16oz. bottle: This poured a really hazy, darker golden color. There was a huge pile of fluffy white head on it. It seemed to rise up out of nowhere, as I was pouring it slowly. Some clove and wheat to the very pleasant aroma. There is a nice wheat flavor, with hints of lemon and banana. A little light in the body, but very tasty. An excellent beer!

Boto, Jan 12, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

16 oz. bottle. Picked this up in Dallas. Not available in Wichita.

Appearance: This beer was very hazy and murky golden brown. It almost seemed muddy due to all the yummy sediment. My clumsy pour made the white head rise up huge and it lingered for a long time. It was dense and rocky and firm enough to tower above the rim of the glass. Oddly enough, there wasn't much lacing.

Smell: Everything that a hefeweizen should smell like. Right after the pour, the aroma was heavy with bananas and clove. After the head had settled, the smell became lighter and cleaner, being comprised of light grains, lemon, a more muted banana, and a hint of spiciness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: A little thin and watery. Very smooth, with just a hint of fuzziness on the tongue.

Taste: I was a little disappointed after the wonderful aroma. The flavor was very muted and somewhat watery, not unlike the mouthfeel. Thin, slightly astingent grains led into light lemon. On the finish was some banana and clove to wrap things up.

The muted flavors didn't impress me much. With all the other wonderful hefes out there, I won't waste my time on this one again.

Quaffer, Nov 30, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +1.5%

This was on tap at Anam Cara today. The color was a hazy yellow with a bright white head and a wonderful full lace for. The aroma was a mellow banana clove I expect in this style. The taste has the banana in the front and was nicely creamy in texture and feel. It had a fine malt in the middle of the taste, and very drinkable. I thought I wrote the book on Hefeweizen, but this beer surprised me in how good it was.

carln26, Oct 17, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +9%

Pint-bottle, served into a clean weizen glass at around 50F.

Appearance: cloudy golden pour, fairly light at the thin base of the glass, with a thick, persistent head of foam about two fingers deep.

Aroma: Very spicy, yeasty aroma, citrus notes. Canonical banana-fruit aroma.

Body/Flavor: Light body and soft character, with the initial flavor being spiciness on the middle of the tongue. Lots of carbonation. Big vanilla and fruit flavors (cantaloupe? banana?) follow, and linger in the finish.

I didn't remember the beer being this good a hefeweizen; this is a very good example of the style, on the medium-low-end of the yeast/spice scale.

allengarvin, Sep 09, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

I had this out of a 16 oz brown and served in a wheat glass. I was unable to find a freshness date label. Nice looking bottle.

Classic hefe weiss scent and aromas. Smells of yeast, cloves and bannana. Cloudy in appearance.

Tastes with a light to medium body. Slightly spicy with hints of lemon.

Very refreshing and easy to drink. Put this away with ease and enjoyed every sip.

Hibernator, Sep 08, 2004

A very nice Hefe-weizen on tap at the Ginger Man and served in the traditional Hefe glass. It poured a cloudy light gold with a large, long-lasting head. The lacing was thick all the way down the glass. The aroma was a mix of wheat, clove, and citrus with a hint of the yeast. The taste is typically wheaty almost bready with a hint of several spices, including clove and some fruitiness. There is the usual hint of citrus as well. Right at the end there is the slight hit of bitter hops.

The beer is full-bodied with a nice level of carbonation. This is so creamy that it goes down really nice. It was superb to the last drop, and I will be looking for another one.

rdrummer, Sep 02, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Here it is... an awesome session beer if I ever tasted one. Served to me in a 20 oz. Echter glass at Anam Cara about a month ago. Fluffy white head, gentle banana, spice and citrus aromas. Taste reveals some of the same, but much less banana than many Hefes. This is a feature I like in Hefes, as I don't like to be overwhelmed by banana flavor, but a hint is OK. Here, I pick up some nice citrus and even very subtle tropical fruit, like pineapple, along with some vanilla. The mouthfeel is luscious, fuller than many Hefeweizens, and the finish is so crisp and clean and refreshing. I could seriously drink this all night, and one night before the weather goes south, I think I just might. I tried this again from the bottle just a few days ago, and I found the beer to be almost exactly the same.

I've said this before -- I've never been a huge hefe fan, but a handful of them are making me see the light. I find alot of similarities between this and another kick-ass Hefe, the Brooklyn Weiss.

bultrey, Aug 24, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

Had never seen this one on tap before (at least not in the USA). While the bottled version tends to be quite good, I thought it was noticeably better on tap; Just plain fresher.

I had this beer at one of the best beer bars I have ever patronized. When I asked the bartender, who was extremely knowledgeable, he told me the tap version had more hints of vanilla than the bottled. I didn't disagree but that is not what stood out for me. The freshness of draft versus bottle and the cleanliness of the beer lines at this place and the painstaking details that this establishment goes through to ensure maximum quality of all their beers are what impressed me the most.

rousee, Aug 19, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a straw to light golden straw color with a nice 3 finger head that falls to a fingers worth of head. The nose is nice, with a good banana and nice sweetness from the wheat coming through. This beer definately is dominated by the wheat malts, with the banana taking second billing; just opposite what the nose told me I would taste. I remember this being better than it is this time around. I'm going to let it warm and see what that does with it.

Warming doesn't seem to change the taste much. The beer is moderate to thick but is lacking the creamy character I prefer. There are more drinkable hefe's out there, but I wouldn't pass this one over if it was available. I put it above average to good.

kmpitz2, Aug 17, 2004
3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a cloudy gold color with one finger of head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is sweet with lots of banana and wheat malt. The taste is almost like the smell, but some cloves come through in the taste. Very well balanced. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is good as well. A nice Hefe.

SheepNutz, Aug 14, 2004

Pours a cloudy copper gold with a fluffy head.

There is a doughy yeasty aroma that mingles with a robust fruit element.

A cider flavor mingles with yeast and citrus to create a unique taste that is unlike any other weisse I have ever had.

Thin and infinitely drinkable. There is a reason why the Germans call these breakfast beers--they are light, smooth and very refreshing and easy to drink.

I like this beer alot and cannot wait to try to Dunkel.

filabrazilia, Jul 22, 2004