Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier HellJulius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -6%

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Hazy yellow color, with a fluffy head. Initially I am getting a big sense of the yeasts in the aroma, in that it is almost 'creamy, or yogurt-like...' This isn't really a bad thing if it sounds that way. It's earthy, grainy, and some tartness and sour apple in there as well. Very complex aroma. The taste is a very soft, with a light breadiness, hint of banana, and not very spicy. Ethereal. I really enjoyed this, and would love to get my hands on more. Great spring/summer beverage.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Pouring a beautiful hazy golden orange, this hefe pours a little lighter than the average. But a huge, foamy head lingers for the duration of the glass, leaving behind a nice lace that clings perfectly.

The nose is a little mild with hints of clove, banana, and pepper, while the mouth adds a bit of lemon zest to flavor. Unfortunately, the beer has an odd finish resembling the flavor of stale rice cakes that sort of takes the freshness from the mouth (the beer has an expiration date of 09/12 – six months later than my review).

The beer is crisp and refreshing, and up until the odd finish, a real winner. However, the flavor of rice cakes is off-putting enough to cause lower my overall enjoyment.

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass. This pours a hazy yellowish color with a massive white head. The smell is of wheat, yeast eaters, lemon. The feel is medium to light high carbonation. The taste is good, light and crisp, wheat, no real hop presence, lemon, banana.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Reviewed while listening to Queen's greatest hits.

A - Pours a pleasant hazy golden with a big foamy head. Looks like a hefeweizen should. Appears well carbonated, a myriad of bubbles are rising in my glass. "Under Pressure"

S - Smells sweet and wheaty. Very slight banana and yeast aroma.

T - Extremely refreshing. A little on the light side, flavorwise. Not too many typical hefeweizen banana/clove overtones. Still, it's quite tasty. I think I would like their Dunkel. The after taste is reminiscent of my first sniff of the beer's aroma. "Killer Queen"

M - Mouthfeel is pretty light and subtle. Definitely smooth. "Fat Bottomed Girls"

O - I wasn't disappointed... although I was craving some stronger weizen smell/flavor, which leads me to believe I should try their dunkelweizen. This beer is highly drinkable, tasty, and pretty to look at. Can't really note any negatives, other than the fact that I would have like a stronger flavor experience. That doesn't mean this isn't a fine example of a hefeweizen. "Bicycle Song"

This whole beer/Queen synergy reminds me of a song from The Simpsons:

"When I was seventeen, I drank some very good beer
I drank some very good beer I purchased with a fake ID
My name was Brian McGee
I stayed up listening to Queen
When I was seventeen"