Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

My favorite Hefe-Weizen!

I've tried this many times on tap at the Huettenbar in Chicago, but have not seen it in bottles until my trip to Meyer Delicatessen just up the street from the Huettenbar.

Pours a light amber with quite a hazy body. The head is substantial and rocky. Some lacing in the glass.

Smell is light clove, bread, and green bananas.

The taste is just smooth and refreshing to me. Everything I like in a wheat beer. A light banana flavor with some clove to give it a nice balance. Nice and round with some hints of bubblegum. Lovely!

Mouthfeel is damn near perfect. Smooth, soft, and supple!

Give me this on any hot day! (654 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

From the bottle, this beer pours a hazy rust-orange with a magnificent head three fingers tall. The aroma of this one is out of this world...bread, bananas, and cloves with a slight spice.

Taste is predominantly bready, yeasty, with a malty sweetness and a very slight sour tinge. Finishes smooth and sweet, with a bit of lingering tartness. Mouthfeel is very cool - high carbonation with a medium body. This one is easy to drink. I am very impressed with this brew. (469 characters)

16oz. bottle: This poured a really hazy, darker golden color. There was a huge pile of fluffy white head on it. It seemed to rise up out of nowhere, as I was pouring it slowly. Some clove and wheat to the very pleasant aroma. There is a nice wheat flavor, with hints of lemon and banana. A little light in the body, but very tasty. An excellent beer! (350 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -9.8%

16 oz. bottle. Picked this up in Dallas. Not available in Wichita.

Appearance: This beer was very hazy and murky golden brown. It almost seemed muddy due to all the yummy sediment. My clumsy pour made the white head rise up huge and it lingered for a long time. It was dense and rocky and firm enough to tower above the rim of the glass. Oddly enough, there wasn't much lacing.

Smell: Everything that a hefeweizen should smell like. Right after the pour, the aroma was heavy with bananas and clove. After the head had settled, the smell became lighter and cleaner, being comprised of light grains, lemon, a more muted banana, and a hint of spiciness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: A little thin and watery. Very smooth, with just a hint of fuzziness on the tongue.

Taste: I was a little disappointed after the wonderful aroma. The flavor was very muted and somewhat watery, not unlike the mouthfeel. Thin, slightly astingent grains led into light lemon. On the finish was some banana and clove to wrap things up.

The muted flavors didn't impress me much. With all the other wonderful hefes out there, I won't waste my time on this one again. (1,148 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

This was on tap at Anam Cara today. The color was a hazy yellow with a bright white head and a wonderful full lace for. The aroma was a mellow banana clove I expect in this style. The taste has the banana in the front and was nicely creamy in texture and feel. It had a fine malt in the middle of the taste, and very drinkable. I thought I wrote the book on Hefeweizen, but this beer surprised me in how good it was. (416 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Pint-bottle, served into a clean weizen glass at around 50F.

Appearance: cloudy golden pour, fairly light at the thin base of the glass, with a thick, persistent head of foam about two fingers deep.

Aroma: Very spicy, yeasty aroma, citrus notes. Canonical banana-fruit aroma.

Body/Flavor: Light body and soft character, with the initial flavor being spiciness on the middle of the tongue. Lots of carbonation. Big vanilla and fruit flavors (cantaloupe? banana?) follow, and linger in the finish.

I didn't remember the beer being this good a hefeweizen; this is a very good example of the style, on the medium-low-end of the yeast/spice scale. (655 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

I had this out of a 16 oz brown and served in a wheat glass. I was unable to find a freshness date label. Nice looking bottle.

Classic hefe weiss scent and aromas. Smells of yeast, cloves and bannana. Cloudy in appearance.

Tastes with a light to medium body. Slightly spicy with hints of lemon.

Very refreshing and easy to drink. Put this away with ease and enjoyed every sip. (386 characters)

A very nice Hefe-weizen on tap at the Ginger Man and served in the traditional Hefe glass. It poured a cloudy light gold with a large, long-lasting head. The lacing was thick all the way down the glass. The aroma was a mix of wheat, clove, and citrus with a hint of the yeast. The taste is typically wheaty almost bready with a hint of several spices, including clove and some fruitiness. There is the usual hint of citrus as well. Right at the end there is the slight hit of bitter hops.

The beer is full-bodied with a nice level of carbonation. This is so creamy that it goes down really nice. It was superb to the last drop, and I will be looking for another one. (669 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Here it is... an awesome session beer if I ever tasted one. Served to me in a 20 oz. Echter glass at Anam Cara about a month ago. Fluffy white head, gentle banana, spice and citrus aromas. Taste reveals some of the same, but much less banana than many Hefes. This is a feature I like in Hefes, as I don't like to be overwhelmed by banana flavor, but a hint is OK. Here, I pick up some nice citrus and even very subtle tropical fruit, like pineapple, along with some vanilla. The mouthfeel is luscious, fuller than many Hefeweizens, and the finish is so crisp and clean and refreshing. I could seriously drink this all night, and one night before the weather goes south, I think I just might. I tried this again from the bottle just a few days ago, and I found the beer to be almost exactly the same.

I've said this before -- I've never been a huge hefe fan, but a handful of them are making me see the light. I find alot of similarities between this and another kick-ass Hefe, the Brooklyn Weiss. (999 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%

Had never seen this one on tap before (at least not in the USA). While the bottled version tends to be quite good, I thought it was noticeably better on tap; Just plain fresher.

I had this beer at one of the best beer bars I have ever patronized. When I asked the bartender, who was extremely knowledgeable, he told me the tap version had more hints of vanilla than the bottled. I didn't disagree but that is not what stood out for me. The freshness of draft versus bottle and the cleanliness of the beer lines at this place and the painstaking details that this establishment goes through to ensure maximum quality of all their beers are what impressed me the most. (670 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a straw to light golden straw color with a nice 3 finger head that falls to a fingers worth of head. The nose is nice, with a good banana and nice sweetness from the wheat coming through. This beer definately is dominated by the wheat malts, with the banana taking second billing; just opposite what the nose told me I would taste. I remember this being better than it is this time around. I'm going to let it warm and see what that does with it.

Warming doesn't seem to change the taste much. The beer is moderate to thick but is lacking the creamy character I prefer. There are more drinkable hefe's out there, but I wouldn't pass this one over if it was available. I put it above average to good. (718 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a cloudy gold color with one finger of head. A little bit of lacing left on the glass. The smell is sweet with lots of banana and wheat malt. The taste is almost like the smell, but some cloves come through in the taste. Very well balanced. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is good as well. A nice Hefe. (335 characters)

Pours a cloudy copper gold with a fluffy head.

There is a doughy yeasty aroma that mingles with a robust fruit element.

A cider flavor mingles with yeast and citrus to create a unique taste that is unlike any other weisse I have ever had.

Thin and infinitely drinkable. There is a reason why the Germans call these breakfast beers--they are light, smooth and very refreshing and easy to drink.

I like this beer alot and cannot wait to try to Dunkel. (461 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A dense, delicious-looking, creamy white head piles up and piles up, holding its shape past the rim of the glass as I pour in the hazy tangerine beer. That smell--I know it now--it's the smell of grass cuttings piled on the lawn that have started to ferment already in the heat. And it's oddly sweet yet musty.

Bitterness leaps on the tongue up front, as the mouth fills with creamy, tart bubbles. The sourness lingers, fading to a vaguely orangey taste.

This is freaking me out, though. Either there's some spell in this stuff, or it's so hot, I'll drink anything. I can't say it tastes good to me, but it tastes like it's good for me. (643 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a deep hazy gold with a huge, creamy, ivory head. Very lacy. Rich banana and light cloves in the nose. Sweet wheat malt aromas.

Taste is exactly like the smell. Rich banana and light cloves. Sweet wheat malt with just a hint of lemon. Lightly sticky and sweet but a bit thin. It's damn good, if not for the watery mouthfeel, this might be one of my favorite hefes. But it's still quite solid. (401 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours out to a cloudy peach, forming a tall, dense, whipped white head with excellent retention and great lacing. The aroma is wondrous, tart and phenolic with a classic mix of (green) bananas and cloves. Carbonation is medium-strong. Mouthfeel is initially spritzy, then watery with a light body. Taste is quite interesting. There are the aformentioned bananas and cloves initially, but then a very delicate pale-malt and wheat-malt body offers a gentle sweetness off-setting the yeast, hop, and carbonic tartness. There is a very brief touch of metal. The finish is EXTREMELY clean with a watery crispness, making this refreshingly easy to drink. As it warms, a honey-like sweetness emerges in the aftertaste with lemon zest notes.

In a word, wonderful. This is a very easy to drink Hefe-Weiss. Although I could stand to have more bananas in it, the uniquely delicate malt sweetness and clean finish make this a great summer/session brew. (943 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -2%

16oz bottle

Apperance: Great white head that is foamy to the max and sticks around to the max. The color is a clear golden yellow, although I have not added the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. Wow, great foamy head! Nice lacing.

Nose: Earth, grass, wheat, yeast, freshly baked crackers.

Taste: A lot of the same hefe characteristics, wheat, lemon, a little butter. This is what i want from a hefe. Not too bitter. In fact, it's only bitter in the middle of the taste, very nice entrance and exit.

Notes: I just added the yeast and it really clouded things up. Ive never done that before. The yeast really makes a change. The nose and taste have not been too effected by this addition, anly adding some fruity characteristics. It also added a bite. (766 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Starts off nicely with an excellent appearance. The body is cloudy and dark gold and it is topped off by a perfectly white dimpled white foam. Lively carbonation feeds the head and keeps it from fading. The aroma is strong, cloves and vanilla ride about a faint banana (I prefer my bubblegum/banana esters bigger than this, but this is still nice). The flavor is a bit of a let-down after the looks and smell. Good wheatiness, a nice little bit of ripe banana in the back end, but not a lot else going on. It's tasty, but I still prefer Schneider and a few others. Now, if we could just get American breweries to start doing this style justice. (644 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

This hazy happy brew was served in a 22 oz hefe-weisen glass and drew a comparatively small head. It had a mellow banna-wheat aroma. The flavors were smooth with a honey sweetness complimenting the fruity wheat based brew. I'm not a fan of the style, but really enjoyed this beer. The slightly heavier body may have helped to sway my opinion. It was quite a drinkable and refreshing beer. (388 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Golden in color, cloudy in clarity, Echter Hefe-Weiss fits the category wonderfully. The white head was on the small side.

The aroma featured powerful citrus and wheat as would be expected in this category.

The esters of banana were the first notes in taste. The wheat/hop finish would be expected. I also enjoyed the honey flavors that came in the middle.

With a puckering tartness, this beer is slightly heavier than I would normally expect. In terms of drinkability, this is excellent example of the style and would work well after a long summer day. (562 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Appearance – This poured a beautiful orange hazy color with a tight, white, foaming head that showed great retention.

Smell – The yeast and banana notes came flying out of the glass right through the big, foamy head. There seems to be a bit of mild spicing to this one as well.

Taste – The yeast flavor came out nicely here, albiet a little short of the promise at the nose, along with a bit of banana and maybe some mild orange. There also seemed to be a hint of some spice as well; maybe some white pepper?

Mouthfeel – This one showed medium carbonation and was light and fluffy.

Drinkability – This made for a terrific afternoon snack. It had all the components of a good Hefe Weissbier. (707 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Cloudy orange-gold with frothy three finger white head, there was still a sizable portion of head when I finished, and by the looks of it, the rest was left as lacing.
Strong banana taste and aroma. A little green apple, in the aroma, with clove.
Wheat comes out in the taste, a little bit of lemon, a little nutty
Very pleasant, clean and easy to drink, medium body.
Drinkability? I should stop writing reviews at work, I won't be back home and in my fridge to grab another one for hours. This may have ruined some of the lesser Hefe-weizens for me. Next summer I'll go through quite a few of them sitting on the deck. (623 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Not my favorite of the German Hefe's, but it has been awhile, so a retaste is in order.

Huge foam crown lifted itself from the pour. Many gassy bubbles quickly and continually were formed to escape under it all... Aroma and color were equal to the style: cloudy and straw-colored with nose of sweet clove-banana.

Tasted a nice yeasty-sweet liquid, but 'mild:' banana-clove aspects are not huge in this Würzberger beer.

I prefer more to my Hefe's, but this is a good medium offering and especially good for the introductory experience and upon which to base others out there. (584 characters)

A very solid Hefe that looks the part and tastes just fine. From the murky yellow body to the substantial white topping the look is solidly wheat and this is repeated in the fruity and spicy aroma with hints of banana popping through. The flavor is fruity and spicy with clovishness throughout the flavor spectrum. Good mouthfeel with a decent finish. Easily a most drinkable brew. (381 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A almost dark yellow hazy Heff. It has one of the better appearances out of the bottle with a very nice head. At my favorite restaurant they always have this beer and they give you the bottle and the half liter glass to pour it in yourself. Always an interesting event for the people sitting around you. The smell is of a little spice along with a yeasty banana fruity smell. It has a very clean taste that is not overpowering along with a nice clove spice that is a pretty good combination. While I would not call this my favorite Heff I would say that it is a little better then average and I would not pass up an opportunity of drinking this one. (649 characters)

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG