Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier HellJulius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Cloudy orange-yellow. Three finger white head leaving thick lacing as it disipates

S- A bit on the sour side. Banana-esters pretty heavy along with wheat

T- Heavy on the wheat with the banana esters prevalent in the background. A little sour in the finish. Bad bottle, I wonder?

M- Thin bodied but still manages to coat the inside of your mouth. Light on the carbonation.

D- Easily drinkable, but there are better hefes out there.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

16 oz brown bottle no freshness dating.

Beer pours a beautiful peach/yellow color. One of the darkest weiss beers (non dunkel) I have seen. Massive frothy head. Good lacing. A delight for the eyes.

Beer smells of malt, some biscuits and just a hint of spice. A very light smelling hefe here.

Given the appearance, I expected a little more substance to the taste. Nice sweet/tart combination. Some husky malt, but not enough of the clove/spice taste I would expect. Very crisp and easy to drink. Carbonation is excellently calibrated.

I've had much better hefes, but I would not turn down one of these. It is a solid representation of style. Unfortunately, there is the unfulfilled promise of its good looks.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a half liter bottle into a pilsner glass. Initial picture is a beautiful hefeweizen that starts a pale straw and becomes a much darker shade farther up the glass, where less light is able to penetrate the haziness. There is some initial lacing on the glass, but the longer I go the more quickly it dissipates.

S - Smells great, just what I would expect, although it is mild and doesn't really hit me immediately. Typical banana and spice smells.

T - I'm disappointed, given the previous two rankings. The tastes that I expected come through, but they are murky. They don't stand out, nor are they subtle. They are both diluted and slightly off balance. There is a sour quality to the beer that I do not like.

M - The feel of this beer is flat as well, which is surprising considering the initial carbonation that I witnessed upon first pouring the beer. It tasted pretty watery.

O - I didn't think this would be the best hefeweizen that I have ever tasted, but it really didn't impress me very much. I'm glad that I tried it, if only to help compare the others that I've had, but this is certainly among the weakest that I've tasted thus far.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from 500 ML bottle into weizen glass. Had best before date of 02-2009.

A: Absolutely beautiful looking brew. Rich golden hue with pillowy head that did not dissipate hardly at all.

S: Nose of spiciness mostly, a little fainter that I would have preferred but still solid.

T & M: I have to say the taste left me slightly disappointed after the smell and appearance. Mouthfeel was quite watery. Got a little better after it warmed slightly in the glass. The spiciness was there but I just was expecting a little more out of this beer.

D: Definitely drinkable, not my favorite hefeweizen but is on my list of ones I would have again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Special-ordered a case through Wooden Keg, Hagerstown Maryland.

A= nice, with a cloudy typical yellow of a heffe-weisse but a very slight hint of tint into the orange/pink hue. Huge out of control foaming head, spongy rather than thick and juicy like their Heffe-Dunkel version (which I prefer).

S= interesting and somewhat unique in a way that I can't describe (read my Taste description); some bubblegum scent.

T= interesting, a little different than the usual Hacker-Paulaner-Erdinger varieties. It impresses me as having almost a slight undertone of rye. That would explain the slight dry-grain scent and taste, as well as the nearly un-noticeable hue-effect.

M= slightly foam-residual, not quite a flat feeling but somewhere in there. Let's just say, "interesting and intriguing for heffe fans" ha ha.

D= obviously very drinkable if you're in Germany and it's on-tap, or if someone has paid a chunk for an imported case and you can drink til you drop. I'd recommend trying it, if you see it. I don't think it's my favorite, though.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

16 oz. bottle. Picked this up in Dallas. Not available in Wichita.

Appearance: This beer was very hazy and murky golden brown. It almost seemed muddy due to all the yummy sediment. My clumsy pour made the white head rise up huge and it lingered for a long time. It was dense and rocky and firm enough to tower above the rim of the glass. Oddly enough, there wasn't much lacing.

Smell: Everything that a hefeweizen should smell like. Right after the pour, the aroma was heavy with bananas and clove. After the head had settled, the smell became lighter and cleaner, being comprised of light grains, lemon, a more muted banana, and a hint of spiciness. Very nice.

Mouthfeel: A little thin and watery. Very smooth, with just a hint of fuzziness on the tongue.

Taste: I was a little disappointed after the wonderful aroma. The flavor was very muted and somewhat watery, not unlike the mouthfeel. Thin, slightly astingent grains led into light lemon. On the finish was some banana and clove to wrap things up.

The muted flavors didn't impress me much. With all the other wonderful hefes out there, I won't waste my time on this one again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

A guy at Florian's, seeing me with an armload of beer and wine, asked if I liked wheat beer and recommended this. It's the best, he said. He was happy to finally see it in Maine. I couldn't say no to that.

Poured with a head that filled most of the glass. It took 5 pours over 10 minutes to get the full pint into a 23 oz. wheat beer glass. At the end, it was cloudy gold with a pillowy head.

I spent the wait taking in the bouquet of cloves, hops and lemon.

Taste was milder than I expected. Not a lot of yeast esters, but instead clean citrus and cloves coming through. Still, it was crisp and refreshing.

And smooth. This is a big-bodied weizen and it goes down so easy.

Even though it's a sessionable strength, this feels a bit heavy to drink more than a few pints. This would be great with a light meal, though. Maybe a chef's salad.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Hell from Würzburger Hofbräu AG