Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier DunkelJulius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

2.83/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Cloudy orange-brown (light leather color) with a two finger frothy head.
Roasted wheat aroma, with strong banana note.
The banana dominates the taste with roasted malt, clove and spice. Candy sugar sweet - too sweet for my taste.
Smooth and creamy, light weizen feel.
Not as good as the regular Echter hefeweiss. Too sweet.

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Hefe Weiss

Bottled

Pass the born on date by two weeks

Smell: Banana and malty scents

The difference in this beer with others I have tried in this style that the after taste isn't as a harsh but the carbonation is much greater than most. I think it over powers it, maybe I need to let it stand for a moment to breathe.

The texture has a crisp taste and feel to it. When drinking this one, It seems that something is lacking or it could be that the balance maybe unequal.

I would have to have more comparison to recommend this one. I am not real partial to wheat beers.

Good first timer, but weaker than others I have tried.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

A - Cloudy light amber with one finger of off white head and a little lacing

S - Dark fruit with some malts and no real wheat I could smell

T - Crisp dark fruit with no other noticeable flavors

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Not to bad but not something I will ever really want again

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark brownish orange color. A two finger head forms and recedes fast. Some spotty and patchy lace is left behind.
S: At first, I thought I detected a nice roasted character in the nose. That quickly turned to a harsh burnt aroma that I do not enjoy that much. Burnt wood with some fruits and typical funky yeast that follows the style.
T: Follows the nose, a burnt wood flavor and clove. A bit of banana.
M/D: Very dry and over carbonate for my tastes. Pretty easy to drink though.

Sub-par in my opinion. The burnt wood character detracts. Something I will pass by next time I see it.

2.98/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a huge white 3 finger head that a quarter could float on. Huge amount of lacing down the glass as would be expected. The body is an opaque, merky, brown hint of red dirty color that seems even for the style a touch too cloudy. I've never noticed a non black beer to be this hard to see light though.

Bubble gum, strong harsh wheat, subtle candy, cane sugar, bananas, cloves, and maybe a hint of ginger. So nothing new or surprising here as expected. This beer has a nice aroma after the pour, but it quickly looses that once the head subsides. I'm rather unimpressed given it starting with a decent bit of power.

There's a touch of toast, bubble gum, and wheat flavors. It's very lacking in flavor. The flavors from the aroma are here but some just barely and mixed in the back.

Very dry, off putting, and dull. Certainly a beer you could have a few of but at 3 bucks a bottle, why?

Cloudy tawny colour with a fluffy beige cap. A bit sticky with good head retention. Aromas of banana, bready yeast, a bit nutty, light caramel and clove. Tastes kind of thin and without the fruitiness present in the nose. Roast malts dominate, giving it a dry cocoa and caramel flavour. Minerals, bread, yeast. Medium body with slightly high carbonation. Grainy, dry texture. It's certainly not bad, but the flavour really didn't live up to the promise of the aroma and didn't quite hit what I expect in a dunkelweizen.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

A - On the amber side of brown - cloudy.

S - Cloves and some maltiness

T - The bottle says "Bavarian Ale" but there is no banana whatsoever - all clove though. It's malty. It also has an astringent quality with a slight burnt flavor. The aftertaste is similar to an American Hefe.

M - It has a full mouthfeel. This is the only redeeming quality of the beer for me.

D - A little bit filling. It actually reminds me of a roggenbier I brewed. Something happened where there wasn't much fermentable sugar so the hefe yeast didn't impart any flavor and I was stuck with a very malty, very full bodied beer. This dunkel is not what I'd expect from a Bavarian Hefe.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Bought the bottle at Blanchard's in JP.

Served the beer in a hefe glass.

Has to be one of the better looking beers I have ever poured. University of Texas, burnt orange color and beautiful head that was reminiscent of vanilla ice cream on top.

The smell was not what I expected from a Dunkelweizen. It seemed to lack any strong phenols other than clove. I sort of like to smell gueze or banana in a beer like this. Also, the beer was a bit too assertive with the hops. I would prefer to have the phenols and malts speak for this style.

As for taste and mouth feel, it too was not overly impressed with the beer as it relates to this particular style. Again, I would have to say that the hops (and hop oil) take away too much from the malt and yeast flavors. That said, the sourness of the yeast is present but it competes with an odd "gritty" taste as you drink.

Overall, I would have to say that the beer lacks anything dynamic that I would expect to see from this particular style.

Ein prosit der Gemütlichkeit!

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle to a Cigar City Snifter.

Color: A murky yellow-orange with a white head.

Smell: Malts, lemon, earthy hops and wheat.

Taste: Same as the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Huge carbonation, smooth and slightly dry on the palate.

Overall: A nice crisp and clean brew. Very easy to drink. Maybe just a little too mellow. Cheers.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Had this at the DRB in Miami. Server poured the 16.9oz bottle into a Weihenstephaner Weizen glass.

A: it was a bit hard to tell since the place was very dark but this beer has some dark brown tones decorated by glowing red areas on the sides and the bottom. Beatiful three finger tanned head that refused to disappear. Some lacing present.

S: very faint smell of hops, wheat, bread pudding, dark fruits and even some beet.

T: mute taste, it was very hard to tell what I was drinking. There was some malts, dark fruits and bread pudding in the taste but combined in a very strange way that didn't impress me very much.

M: smooth, medium body with medium carbonation.

O: not very impressed with this one and probably won't be going back. Unfortunately the smell and taste were a bit boring and didn't make for an enjoyable experience.

3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

I bought this beer in the south of Germany when i was there a few weeks ago. Bottle best before october the 20th 2011. Because we had warm wheater in Holland yesterday it was time to drink this one.

Poured in an original hefe weizen glass the beer looks very promising. 5 fingers head with thick bubbles; easily! Nice brown fluid with no carbonation visible.

For the taste i can only say one thing; flat all the way. No beer to drink a second time.

3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

Looked like a strong brewed black tea - very hazy. It had a light tan foamy head with decent retention. The head eventually settled to a very thin lace. (served at temp 51 into a Sam Adams pint)

At first it smelled like a normal hefeweizen. Has it warmed up a bit, I smelled caramel malt and straw.

Initially I tasted caramelized wheat and thought, "hey, this is pretty good." However, after the first few drinks the intensity of the flavor dissipated. It became more subdued and remained so even as it got warmer.

It had a light carbonation similar to an Italian soda. Refreshing.

I could see myself drinking this outside in the early evening on a lazy summer day. While I wouldn't mind having it again, I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon. It was good, but didn't make me want to keep going back. I was expecting something more.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

A. Pours a hazy brown with a one finger head that dissipates to a thin film with tons of residual lacing.

S. Light wheat and what smells to me like silly putty.

T. Somewhat sweet and malty - there's not a whole lot going on with this. I expect (and desire) more banana aroma and flavor than I get from this beer.

M. Medium body with high carbonation.

D. Eh. I picked up a few imports today on the recommendation from a friend who lived in Germany and grew to love German beers. I was much more impressed with the Kolsch than this.

3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a hazy light brown with a nice tan head.

There is a sweet malty nose that is has an element of clove and apple.

The taste is pretty bland but has a fruity and spice element in it. The beer is okay, but is a tad too subdued for my liking.

This is a smooth and easy to drink beer. There is a tartness that balances the sweetness nicely.

This beer is okay but nothing really special for the style.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel from Würzburger Hofbräu AG