Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-10-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Ratings: 396 | Reviews: 248
3.34/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from its pint bottle into my glass, it has a earthy-brown color with typical wheat cloudiness. The head is comprised of white, little bubbles which dissapated quickly leaving moderate lacing on the side of the glass. The aroma is made up of carmelized barley and fruit esters with little or no hop presence. The flavor is initally sour, but quickly blends for a balanced, medium bodied finish. There are traces of clover and toasted barley in the flavor, but not the yeast ester I typically look for in bavarian dunkels. That being said, I thought it was an all around decent wheat but not a standout for its style.

4.14/5  rDev +8.7%

Ok i finally found the DUNKEL WOOT! I had previously only found this once and had to settle for the weaker but still tasty hefe. I find this beer to have a beautiful brown cloud color that made my mouth water. The smell is a bit to be desired but not overly skunky smelling. Very malty taste with a hint of spices. I still cant taste this mysterious bannana smell everyone else gets from these wiess biers. I wish i could. A bit watery in the mouth but does not detract from the taste. Also some nuttyness for extra measure.

I still think this bier is WAY overpriced at 10-14 bucks a 16.9 oz four pack but when im in the mood, i want it.

3.2/5  rDev -16%

Pours with the appearance of some of the more expensive brands of organic apple juice-- cloudy, vacillating between yellow and amber.

Aggressively produces a three-finger head, with no lacing.

This is not a particularly pungent beer-- which, by me, is fine for this style. A pleasant blend of lemon, malt and yeast.

Taste is suitably light and crisp with a subtle fruity finish. Plum perhaps?

The carbonation is almost on par with most popular soft drinks, but even with that in mind, it's a pleasant, easily-quaffed brew.

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Pours a deep bronze/caramel brown with a very full head formation. Slow, but steady carbonation. Slight trace of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

S - Clean and light. Lemony, with hints of melon.

T - Herbal and slightly sweet. Mild clove and banana flavors. Toasted wheat background. Good maltiness.

M - Very bubbly, almost like champagne.

D - Very crisp and clean. More of a warm weather beer. I could see myself throwing down many of these at Oktoberfest. Please refrain from throwing in a slice of lemon.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

I love their regular hefe-weiss. It's definately my favorite. So I had to give the dunkel a try.

Very good beer. Banana and clove was in there thats traditional in a hefe. But there was something else in the beer that was very interesting which I didn't mind at all and that was a smoked character.

Smoked meat and green olive is what I get but it's not overpowering. I love the rauchbiers so maybe thats why I can tolerate this dunkel more than others.

I would have to measure it up to other dunkel to see a difference in the style.

4.3/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a very nice dark Hefe. It has some sweetness to it and really retains and gains flavor after the pour. It is very drinkable and goes well with light food... It is on the heavy side so I would not drink it too much with heavier foods. Retains the great hefe bite throughout the drinking time. Very nice head and pour. It is very easy to find at most high-end groceries.

Give it a try, very nice for the money.

3.81/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a good representative of the style.
Pours the expected heavy thick head. No clinging as you drink, but it lasts a long time. The beer has a clear dark amber color. Note: I let this bottle sit for a good month and didn't mix in the yeast sediment
The smell is a bit musty and grassy but difficult to pick up.
Has a very light mouth feel, which makes it a more-then-one beer.
The taste is classic weiss, little yeasty, with a noticeable bubble-gum flavor. Not too complex beyond that.
This is a good drink, I would order again.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour is a hazy dark honey color, with a light frothy white head that holds on for awhile.

Smell there isn't a while hell of alot not as heavy on the banana ester as im used to with the german weiss biers.

Taste is simple fairly typical wheat nothing terribly special here

mouthfeel is light even for a weiss

drinkability is good its non offensive just not very exciting at all.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a light brown with yeast haze the head was prominent till it collapsed on to itself. Smells yeasty with a slight fresh cut grass smell. Very sweet and slightly caramelized sugar touch to it. Hops taste earthy and there is strong beady yeast flavor touched upon by pumpkin pie and other spicy esters. Nice smooth mouthful is easily drinkable and very tasty a must try.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer poured a cloudy medium brown, sepia like, with a quick forming light tan head, that rather quickly subsided. Drinking did not reveal much hop flavor, but it was definitely fruity. I have read others mention banana flavors and they were correct, but I didn’t expect it be as strong as it was. It felt full, while also light, in the mouth. It appears to be an excellent example of the style. It’s definitely different and I will attempt to try the versions made by other brewers if I can find them.

3.81/5  rDev 0%

a- reddish brown and alittle murky looking poored nicely into glass, nice ring of foam around glass.

s- malt nose dominates

t- temp of beer was 45° cold enough to balance the malt carbonation against the few hops 'n there. I love dark hefe.

m- mouthfeel...there is alot of flavors in there....competeing with each other than at the finish I taste faint clove.. spice.

o- overall a nice german dark wheat beer. I love this style so I'm a little biased.

3.59 at total wine 500ml bottle

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 500ml bottle with 2009/09 best before date into tumbler. Great dunkel coloring deep and even throughout glass.

Fantastic smell of sweet banana and a slight tart cloves. The first thing I thought when tasting this was "watery" but after the second taste the flavors started jumping out - hallmark of a fantastic beer.

Slight bitter and a hint of metallic with a fantastically clean finish like a lager. Carbonation is just right and it is not overly sweet. A great beer for any day and would be great with smoked food or bbq.

4.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a favorite of mine. While not inexpensive, I think it's a great value and a bit meatier (more interesting) than a straight-up hefe-weisse. It's "dunkel" for a wheat, but a beautiful amber in the glass. I recommend it regularly.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from bottle, 1 US pint. Served in a weissbier glass.

A: Pours a deep amber brown with a frothy off-white head. There is a thick veil, although I can still see my fingers through the glass. Great head retention; A fine froth lingers for minutes.

S: Pleasant fruity esters and soft banana and clove phenols. There is also a slight tart note and the faint aroma of roasted malt.

T: A light, caramel-like sweetness is noticed first, followed immediately by a nutty roasted malt note. There are some phenolic flavors, although less than anticipated. A slight tart sensation is perceived on the sides of the palate. A light noble hop bitterness lingers, along with the distinct flavor of raisins.

M & D: Light/Medium body, but certainly not thin. Very refreshing. Nothing in this beer is overwhelming. It is quite light on the palate, but has lots of complexity. Certainly a fantastic session beer.

A very solid dunkelweiss. I would have preferred a little more dark roasted malt character as well as more banana and clove flavors, but then this would not have been such a great beer to enjoy in session.

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%

A - reddish brown, somewhat hazy - thick just darker than off white head

S - slightly floral with mild sweet, not a lot coming from the bottle and even less coming from the glass

T - mostly like other wheat beers. Other dunkels seems to be slightly more bitter than this (hops) but this has none at all for bittering

M - champagne like carbonation, a bit thick in the aftertaste but quickly fading.

D - yes - rather quickly in fact. Not having the bitter makes this a bit more of a smooth/quick drinker.

After other dunkels I think I was expecting a bit more in the smell and taste. I am not disappointed but this is just more like a wheat beer than I expected. I marked down on smell because it seemed rather lacking (again, not a bad thing)

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

A - This beer pours a deep tan brown with but not as dark as most dunkelweizens and when I held my glass up to the light, you could see through it. When I poured, my glass had about a finger or 2 of thick, rich off-white head.

S - Pure deliciousness. Bananas, bread, raisin, and wheat

T - Perfect body for a dunkel. An explosion of wheat, oats, and grain. Distinct malt flavor that is sublime. Letting the beer languish in my mouth, I almost had to remember it was beer and not bubblegum or banana bread. Sweet and no bitterness whatsoever butthere is a slight hint of hops. Barely noticed the alcohol. Chewy and hearty indeed!

M - I would bath in this beer if I could.

D - I have tried over 10 dunkelweizens and this one reigns supreme. It is exactly what I look for in a dunkel and could drink several of these in a sitting. Long live the JE DUNKEL !!

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

The opaque muddy brown pour with thick white head sure looks good. The smell is even more inviting with hints of banana, clove and fig. So far it would be tough to distinguish this beer from my personal favorite, Aventinus.

The taste is good up front, but it lacks the complexity and semi-sweet aftertaste I've grown accustomed to in other beers of the style. The carbonation seems to overpower the malt, as if it wasn't quite brewed correctly. After a swallow it reminds me of most other run of the mill beers out there.

Overall it's a decent session beer because it's drinkable. It looks and smells great but I won't bother putting it in my fridge again.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Saw this discussed in AAB mag (sorry...) and for some reason remembered it whilst browsing for bottles at Central Market. I guess awareness is 9/10 of the law when it comes to selling your beer.

This poured a tall, cloudy head of meringue-colored foam atop a murky body of cider brown and pumpkin pie filling, just shy of opaque. Not bad looking at all, kind of thought it might be darker and more mysterious, although I'll admit I'm a neophyte when it comes to this style. I'll have to look it up and revise this review if I'm full of bunk.

Aroma is slightly sour and slightly sweet, not too strong, with some citrusy notes. I was expecting something a fair bit more aromatic based on my hefeweizen experiences, although perhaps that's not the style here. Not bad at all, just didn't beg me to take a swig like some others do.

This beer's a little demure I suppose, as the taste didn't knock me out either. Pleasing, but not powerful, I couldn't quite find that one flavor that the beer is hanging its hat on. It was tart and tangy upfront, layered over crystallized suger. Minimal hop bitterness on the swallow and finishes clean.

Carbonation is gentle and this is lighter and cleaner on the finish than I was hoping for; quite quaffable though, which I suppose is the purpose. Maybe a better summer beer, as is the cliche with hefs. Pretty good overall, not super-memorable, but they can't all be. I'll keep an eye out for deals on this one and give her another run when the sun comes out.

3.01/5  rDev -21%

A - On the amber side of brown - cloudy.

S - Cloves and some maltiness

T - The bottle says "Bavarian Ale" but there is no banana whatsoever - all clove though. It's malty. It also has an astringent quality with a slight burnt flavor. The aftertaste is similar to an American Hefe.

M - It has a full mouthfeel. This is the only redeeming quality of the beer for me.

D - A little bit filling. It actually reminds me of a roggenbier I brewed. Something happened where there wasn't much fermentable sugar so the hefe yeast didn't impart any flavor and I was stuck with a very malty, very full bodied beer. This dunkel is not what I'd expect from a Bavarian Hefe.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very well carbonated. Pours a thick tan colored head. Smells sweet like a wheat beer with soft sweet notes. Taste and feel is rich and light malt. Very smooth.

3.24/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 1 Pt 9 oz btl into a nucleated tulip/snifter.
Excellent head retention with adequate lacing hugging the walls. The head is white and creamy.
The smell is light with some sweet malty notes.
Upon tasting it is surprisingly crisp and effervescent. Some nice malt notes and a subtle caramel flavor.
Overall nice but probably not a repeat buy.

3.19/5  rDev -16.3%

500mL bottle
app: very dark reddish brown, nearly opaque. Fluffy white head reduced to a thin fill after about 2 minutes. Decent lacing.

smell: not a lot going on. sweet earthy aroma, honey-like

taste: caramel malt flavors. slight sweetness at first fading on the finish. lacks typical hefe-weiss flavors, but finishes very clean. no off-flavors

mouthfeel: good rich mouthfeel, finishes dry with a clean aftertaste.

A very drinkable beer, but nothing extraordinary.

3.27/5  rDev -14.2%

This beer had a very thick, tall, off-white head with a few fisheyes. Lots of legs, too.

The aroma was moderate, and included molasses and apple pie (not too sweet though).

Mild banana flavor, light spices, with a quick sour aftertaste.

Watery mouthfeel, but not too watery, still very enjoyable.

All in all a great session beer.

« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »