Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel - Würzburger Hofbräu AG

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier DunkelJulius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel

Würzburger Hofbräu AG visit their website
Germany

Dunkelweizen |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Bierman9 on 01-10-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

I love their regular hefe-weiss. It's definately my favorite. So I had to give the dunkel a try.

Very good beer. Banana and clove was in there thats traditional in a hefe. But there was something else in the beer that was very interesting which I didn't mind at all and that was a smoked character.

Smoked meat and green olive is what I get but it's not overpowering. I love the rauchbiers so maybe thats why I can tolerate this dunkel more than others.

I would have to measure it up to other dunkel to see a difference in the style.

3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Bought the bottle at Blanchard's in JP.

Served the beer in a hefe glass.

Has to be one of the better looking beers I have ever poured. University of Texas, burnt orange color and beautiful head that was reminiscent of vanilla ice cream on top.

The smell was not what I expected from a Dunkelweizen. It seemed to lack any strong phenols other than clove. I sort of like to smell gueze or banana in a beer like this. Also, the beer was a bit too assertive with the hops. I would prefer to have the phenols and malts speak for this style.

As for taste and mouth feel, it too was not overly impressed with the beer as it relates to this particular style. Again, I would have to say that the hops (and hop oil) take away too much from the malt and yeast flavors. That said, the sourness of the yeast is present but it competes with an odd "gritty" taste as you drink.

Overall, I would have to say that the beer lacks anything dynamic that I would expect to see from this particular style.

Ein prosit der Gemütlichkeit!

3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

The beer pours a cloudy brown color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a fruity hefe scent of pale and wheat malts along with the German hefe yeast, but there is a sweet crystal malt element as well. It's not overly sweet, but just enough to let you know it's there. The taste is average. It tastes like muddy water. There is a weak crystal malt flavor laid over a pale weiss taste. It's got a light sweetness and a fruity yeast finish. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is an average Dunkel. I'm not impressed with the taste at all. I'm not even sure this is a good weiss minus the crystal malts. These guys should add some more crystal malt and call it a day. The mouthfeel is way too light and the CO2 is way too intense.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

A 16oz. bottle with just a simple dark ruby red and white paper ribbon around the neck of the bottle and a white with dark ruby red edge oval label as the main label. Inside the main label is the name of the beer in dark burgendy letters, a black and white drawing of Julius Echter with some German around him, a red star with a crown in it, and "Wurzburg Hofbrau" in crazy looking blue letters. The drawing of Julius Echter shows him giving everybody an evil look while wearing some kind of royal clothing. It's either that or he has an extremely hairy chest. It's hard to tell by the quality of the picture. The back label just has the US Govt. warning, barcode, deposit price, ingredients, and the importer. The best before date can be found on the front behind the "16oz, 1 pint" lettering. You can easily miss it. Mine was best before 21.12.2007.

Appearance: When poured into a Weizen glass, the beer was a swamp like heavly carbonated murky brown color. If you don't hold it up to a light, it appears to be a dark chestnut brown color. It had an excellent 1 1/2 to 2 inch head of white pillowy foam that had good dissipation and left behind a few streaks of white sticky lace. I guess you could say that it looks like a Dunkel Weizen should look like.

Smell: It had a decent not too strong aroma of toasted malts, day old bread, a hint of banana, a pinch of cloves, and a dab of sweet caramel to round it all off. The best part was when the day old bread and banana aromas combined to create a great banana bread combo mix. It almost made me run out to the store and buy some day old banana bread.

Taste: It had a decent soft taste that featured toasted malts, a slice or two of bread, some ripe banana, a pinch of cloves, and a slight mule kick of toasted hops at the end. It's too bad bad that the bread and banana flavors didn't combine in the taste like they did in the aroma. If that would have happened, then I would have made a run to the store to pick up some banana bread. Instead, it seemed like every flavor that was in the taste was dumbed down for some stuipd reason. No flavor stood out or was allowed to stand out for that matter. It was just confusing for some reason. It at least had a good taste to it, but it was just a dumbed down good taste.

Mouthfeel: It had a light somewhat watery carbonated mouthfeel to it and had a slight aftertaste of banana and clove to it. It just seemed to light for me. I know it's supoose to be light, but not that light and watery. The mouthfeel just didn't hit me like I thought it would have done to me. I have to look at the bright side. It was OK, but I guess it could have been worse. It could have been been just water and no aftertaste.

Drinkability: It was another decent affordable German beer, but I don't think I would ever go for this one again. The appearance and smell was there, but the taste and mouthfeel was just off. If I'm ever looking for a Dunkel Weizen and it's the only one I can find, I will continue to look around.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours a pretty, ruby-russet color with an off-white head that is fine bubbled and fluffy. Sweet dark-fruit smells mingle with a faint banana note, but the aroma lacks complexity. On the palate, big carbonation first off, then some nice acidity and lightly fruity malts. Just a touch of spice in the background. This is smoother and more rounded in the mouthfeel than its hefeweizen cousin. Overall, this is a solid but uninspiring dunkelweizen -- it's got a nicely rounded mouthfeel and some easy drinkability, but not the depth of flavor I expect from the style.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured an effervescent caramel/brown with 4+ fingers of fluffed sand colored head. Slightlty above averagre lacing & average head retention

S: Fruitty, a little iron & slightlty phenolic

T: Bananas, herbal hops & caramel up front. Fruittyness (apricots & pears) & breadyness comes though as this warms. Finishes dry/tart with a hint of dates, grainyness, a little bit of mushroom & juicyfruit gum

MF: Medium-bodied with lively carbonaton

Drinks easy, a nice example of dunkel from a brewery in of the prettier German cities I visited. Those looking for a huge yeast signature may find this lacking

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 16oz bottle with no date into a classic hefe class, this one is the color of thin coffee beneath a towering creamy tan head. Very slow fade down to a heavy cap and lots of lace. Damn fine looking dark weizen. Nose of cloves and perhaps some coriander, bready yeast, and ripe fruit. Taste of toasted barley, faint clove, and medium malt. Medium body, light and crisp with light carbonation. Wet and satisfying. Drinkability is good; it’s light and refreshing. Easy to down several of these.

Overall: An easy drinker, good looking, but not a lot of pizzazz. Good refreshing thirst quencher, unassuming, but not much to bring me back. Worth a try.

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured a cloudy, murky brown from a lovely brown bottle. Nice rocky cream-colored head atop the brew. There were hints of oak, spices, and cloves in the aroma.

The flavor is a big array of banana flavors, with some other mild fruit flavors, oak, spices (cloves, coriander), sweet syrup, and just a slight bite of alcohol. As the beer warmed, these flavors formed a beautiful cohesion. Mouthfeel was medium, slightly chewy, but clean. This beer is a bit filling, but overall a great dark hefeweiss. I really enjoyed this beer and would buy again.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

A - Plum hues in the light, hazy, three-finger tan head

S - To type. Bananabread, sweet malty backbone, harsh bitter hops

T - Very bitter; standard cloves & bananabread from a Dunkel.

M - Creamy, carbonated kicker / mid-palate

D - A little too bitter for me, could be more smooth overall, but it is a German afterall. Pretty solidly to type.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

A - On the amber side of brown - cloudy.

S - Cloves and some maltiness

T - The bottle says "Bavarian Ale" but there is no banana whatsoever - all clove though. It's malty. It also has an astringent quality with a slight burnt flavor. The aftertaste is similar to an American Hefe.

M - It has a full mouthfeel. This is the only redeeming quality of the beer for me.

D - A little bit filling. It actually reminds me of a roggenbier I brewed. Something happened where there wasn't much fermentable sugar so the hefe yeast didn't impart any flavor and I was stuck with a very malty, very full bodied beer. This dunkel is not what I'd expect from a Bavarian Hefe.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%

I really love the label on this beer, and I am not sure why.

Poured from bottle bought at the Park Slope Key Food.

A: Looked like dark cider. Transparent barely, effervescent. Purty pour.

S: Bananas and spice (and everything nice).

T: Overly ripe bananas. Banana peels. Too much at first, but eventually got better towards the second half.

MF: Smooth and lush, but a slight chalkiness towards the end.

D: Drinkable, yet not as much as other I’ve had. I probably wouldn’t get again and would stick with another.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$2,48 Sherlock's Barrett Pkwy Marietta, Ga USA
This one was only a notch or so above average all the way around except for appearance. This thing had huge bits of sediment in it, and sediment/debris holds alot of weight with me with certain styles. The dissolving chunks of yeast make for a particularly cloudy brew, which also means alot to me in certain styles. This may be the nicest looking dunkelweiss I have seen in a long time, perhaps ever! Medium copper brown with some sediment and a huge, rocky off-white head that lasted forever. Smell was fairly par-for-the-course for the style, although I got exclusively spice/cloves and no banana on this one. Taste was yeast, dark cereal, and spice. I liked it. Mouthfeel was very smooth, but so is the mouthfeel for nearly every other dunkelweiss. A good beer and a great style!

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%

16 ounce brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours transparent golden brown with a quick-to-receed creamy head that settles to a thick foam and lace. The nose features toasted caramel malts with touches of banana and nuts. Some herbal hop notes are also in play. The flavor is less pleasing; somewhat defective. Sugary carmel is strong at first, but this is overshadowed by a sour diacetyl and phenol-laced finish. The medium thick creamy body is stingy with carbonation. Not especially note-worthy.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a muddy brown color with a decent off-white head, not much lacing. The smell is light clove, metallic. The taste is malty sweet with hints of spice and clove. This brew tends to be more on the malty side, I can hardly detect any of the hefe qualities. The feel is light and fizzy, maybe a bit over carbonated, finishes quite dry. A decent sample for the style, not my favorite, a bit too dry.

Poured into a weizen glass:

Pours caramel/brown with a large rocky head.

The smell is of toffee, banana and mint spiciness.

The taste is of warm banana bread, toffee, mild mint spiciness. Plum-like fruitiness in the back. Finishes with a toffee-ish sweetness with a hint of balancing tart.

Lighter side of medium body, coating, smooth. Flavors hang around on tongue.

A nice, easy-to-drink, tasty classic dunkel!

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

Man it has been a long ass time since I have had a Dunkel Weizen, one of my favorite styles of German beer. It poured into a weizen glass from Magic Hat a murky caramel color, with shades of light and dark all around. Head was huge at first, then faded into a lacing that remained right up until the end of the glass. In the smell was the distinct aroma of warm baked banana bread with blueberries. There was also a light clove presence. My God the smell was lovely. Taste was spicy in the beginning, and then sort of doughy in the end, not what I would call extremely balanced, but that is what made it all the better taste wise. Body of this beer was light to medium, and ever so drinkable. The low alcohol and sheer delectable nature of this beer make it a great session brew. I could see myself knocking back three bombers of this and still wanting more. This is a fantastic beer. Right up there with the Weihenstephaner Dunkel Weizen for me. It would pair well with lots of cooked meats I bet.

4.28/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dirty brown opaque color with a large white meringue like head that goes down only very slowly.

Smells citrusy, like bergamot, banana, bread, some spice. Really looking forward to the first sip.

Tastes of banana, spicy clove. Citrus again on the finish, but more like lime/lemon than bergamot here.

Mouthfeel is really light, good carbonation. Finishes barely barely dry, but goes down so smooth you almost cant even feel it.

Overall a delicious, refreshing brew, and a great example of the style. It's like I'm back in Munich, and I love it. I will almost certainly be buying this one again, it's really good.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Big half-liter German bottle - brewed with wheat and barley malt, hops, and hop extract. It pours into the weizen glass a dark, ruddy brown with medium carbonation and a two finger, light beige head that leaves mild lacing. There is a big banana and bubblegum aroma, with tangy wheat, clove, chocolate, and maybe even some smoke - very nice. The flavor adds to this green/grassy and fresh-cut-hay hops and, unfortunately, a touch of paper/cardboard oxidation. It has a highly-carbonated, light body that evens out quickly and leaves a short finish. Not too bad - definitely worth a try, especially if the bottle is a bit fresher.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Poured this 16. oz. brown bottle into a Weeping Radish weizen glass. No date. The body was a cloudy caramel candy color. Large off white head slowly sizzled down to a film.

Smell was prune juice. Bready. Staleness. Stewed apples.

Taste was tangy and fruity. Malty. Sweet but more sour. Apple skins and spices. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel was smooth until the swallow then some interesting zestiness. This was my first dunkel weizen and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a light rust brown with a good thick head with lots of bubbles that lasted until it was gone.
Aroma- sweet, yeasty, malty with some fruity esters.
Mouthfeel- an earthy hop bitterness is tasted but it immediately gives way to the sweet bready malt and yeast flavors. Some clove-ish notes are detected. A good froth on the palate and it stays the same with a little bitterness surfacing on the finish. Excellent tasting brew and if not for the color I would think it was a regular hefe-weizen. J.E.'s regular hefe-weizen is excellent and this style is an equally good offering. As it warmed up the banana and yeast flavors bloomed and I almost felt like I was sipping it fresh in a beer garden in Germany. Very tasty and sessionable.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure what to expect from this style, as I've had limited experience, but here goes. The color is a dark brown-orange, with golden highlight. A very thick head formed as I poured the beer into my Duvel tulip glass, and the off-white bubbles remained until the beer was gone. I noticed an immense amount of sweetbread in the aroma, along with a mild fruitiness and hay. The flavor is quite fruity upfront, with a bit of cherry followed by essence of banana. Freshly baked bread dominated the aftertaste, which lingered for about a minute after swallowing. It's not a full-bodied beer; the texture is lean, but that's what I've been told to expect from this style. I should try more of these to further expand my palate.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

I am by nature not a fan of weissbiers, but I must admit that I really enjoyed this beer. The yeast strains offered a nice flavor and aroma compliment to the roasted wheats used in this beer. Normally I just don't care for the aftertaste and spiced character of hefeweizens but this was indeed an exception. The brewers create a best of both worlds feeling with enough mouthfeel and rounded flavors without the imbalances I tend to find in weizens.Drinkability was good and this is a solid beer for occasions that call for a flavorful, but lighter bodied beer. Prost.

A - Pours a deep bronze/caramel brown with a very full head formation. Slow, but steady carbonation. Slight trace of sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

S - Clean and light. Lemony, with hints of melon.

T - Herbal and slightly sweet. Mild clove and banana flavors. Toasted wheat background. Good maltiness.

M - Very bubbly, almost like champagne.

D - Very crisp and clean. More of a warm weather beer. I could see myself throwing down many of these at Oktoberfest. Please refrain from throwing in a slice of lemon.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

Julius Echter Hefe-Weiss Dunkel pours a murky brown with a huge off white head from a brown 50 cl bottle. Some banana and some clove in the aroma, but also some bubblegum. The mouthfeel seems a little thin, but the taste is pretty good. Not much of the banana and clove thing (there is some), but tropical fruit and bubblegum flavors are present. Don't get me wrong, this is definitely within style, but not necessarily what I'm looking for in a dunkel weiss. A bit tart and pretty drinkable, this is worth a try if you like the style. Not my favorite of the style though.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Did a little Dunkel side by side last night with this, Erdinger,Weihenstephaner, and Franziskaner. All four were nearly identical in pour and appearance. All got a full aggressive pour with the yeast, cause that's how I like em. This gave the beers a somewhat (but not too) cloudy nut brown color. Head on all was present, but short lasting.

Smell was similar in all four beers, with a yeasty banana bread and almost medicinal clove aroma.

Taste was more of the same - Big yeasty banana bread. This beer is probably the most balanced of the four. The banana dominates, but it probably should. Clove and spice presence is not as noticeable.

JE, like the Franz, has a nice creamy mouthfeel. Very full and coating which really helps to push aside the carbonation. I think that the Fraz is better in this regard, but the JE was very nice as well. Drinkability is just fine. I could down this in big gulps. While I do think that the Franz was the more outstanding beer, this one is no slouch either. In fact, this will score a bit higher based on the weight of Taste.

Julius Echter Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel from Würzburger Hofbräu AG