Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Porter - St. George Brewing Company, The

PorterPorter

St. George Brewing Company, The visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Murph on 07-18-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Porter Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.62/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours what appears to be black, looks a very dark nut brown on closer inspection, and turns out to be a very deep ruby red when held up to light. About an inch and a half of foam in a pint glass quickly recedes to about half an inch, and then stays there a while, leaving little visible lace.

Smell is dominated by molasses, almost sickly sweet. Taste, however, is just about right for a Porter - the molasses is still there, but is cut by some hop bitterness and more present roasted grain. It's dark, it's thick, it's heavy, and it's tasty.

I can't fully get over the molasses thing - it's just a little too syrupy, which diminishes its pleasantness to some degree. But all told, a very solid porter. (705 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.2%

Very nice color, brownish red and dark. Just a hint of hops for most porters. This beer was very solid. Scent had just a slight yeast smell. and the taste was good, more malty than hops. A very good solid beer and great to have a drink with the buds. (250 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -2%

Pertinent Preliminary Comments: Thanks to chazwicke for providing this brew for me. I know he’s been waiting very patiently for me to get to this one…

APPEARANCE: Black with brown notes toward the edge of the glass at the bottom. Semi-firm tan head, like a mostly melted root beer float. When I was pouring the beer, there was a purple quality to it that seems to coincide with my later experience…

AROMA: Wow! I could smell this before I even began to pour it. Red wine and dark fruit; malty sweetness with a little bit of pleasant sourness to it. Not your standard porter, but very nice, very nice indeed. Hops almost nonexistent so far.

FLAVOR: Bitter dark chocolate and roasty malt, with a bit of dark fruit and merlot in the middle and finish. Nice balance; lots here to keep me interested. Hops have arrived, albeit a bit late; just enough to balance the sweetness.

MOUTHFEEL: Just a little on the sticky side, but it sure made me want to keep drinking it.

DRINKABILITY: Very nice – I could have another right now. Oh, wait… they’re 2,000 miles away…. * sigh *

OVERALL COMMENTS: Good to the last drop! Very interesting for a porter to have these fruit-like qualities, but that seems to be the trend in many east coast porters I’ve had. Maybe that’s the way they were intended to be once upon a time. Wish I could get this stuff around here! (1,375 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours black as night with nice ruby highlights around the endges when held to the light, has a nice thick tan head.
Smell is of strong roasted scents.
Taste is kinda light with roasted malts and a little bit of coffee in there as well.
Has plenty of carbonation and feels silky smooth going down.
Decent porter but a lot others I would pick over this one. (359 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard (16 oz.) pint glass on 11/6/11.

A - Nice tan, one-finger head with little carbonation. Very dark brown to almost black with a bit of lacing on the sides of the glass. Not too much carbonation, so there's always a little bit of marbling in the center. 4.0

S - Malts, charcoal, coffee and hazelnut. Somewhat faint but pleasant. 3.5

T - Very smooth and rich. Roasted malt flavor really comes out on the first sip and is very rich. Somewhat bitter at the end, but it's just enough to get you to crave another sip. 4.0

M - Ridiculously smooth. Without much carbonation it glides right over your tongue and coats it with flavor. 4.0

O - St. George Brewing Co. has done a good job with this porter. While I don't drink a lot of Porters, I think this is a fine example of what a Porter should be. 4.0 (834 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance: Pours dark brown, almost light black(?).

Aroma: Strong malt with some chocolate. Smells like a strong alcohol porter, but it's not there in the taste (or in the beer). Get's me.

Taste: Like everyone else says, chocolate and malt with a nice bite in the end like the Baltic Porters.

Mouthfeel: Nice mouthfeel, silky they way it should be.

Drinkability: One of the best American Porters I've had, could be a bit more complex but I love this stuff.

[ serving type: bottle ] (497 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

An excellent example of what a porter should be.
Good head great colo(u)r and flavo(u)rs to die for.
St George Brewing Co. have really done their homework and produced an authentic British style porter. Reminds me so much of my favourite beer: Youngers No.3 (RIP)
Tasty but not overpowering, complex but not confusing. A great beer that you can drink for a full sesh.
I bought a sixtel direct from the brewery and I'm going to get another very soon ! (450 characters)

4.03/5  rDev 0%

A - Great looking dark porter, very little head, good looking tan head. almost no lacing. Very low carbonation which was surprisingly pleasant. Black as night, great show of the porter style with low alc 5%.

S - Nice slightly burnt malt smell. A little sulfury, maybe bottle aging will fix that in the next 10 - 12 months.

T - Very good. If you want an easy day-drinking beer that's not and IPA, this is your beer. Not too hearty, and most of the color and consistency seems like an extracts doing.

M - the missing carbonation is great, i've had a few other beer's pull it off. very pleasant experience and only 9$ 6-pack here in DT richmond. Nice Job St. George.

O - Worth every penny, try some, store some. (713 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Appearance: DEEP mahogany, near black hue under a 1-2 finger tan head, which dissipated not too rapidly, and laced a little down the sides.

Smell: Roasted chocolate, coffee malts, with a slight sweetness which, I think, was a hint of raisin.

Taste: Again, roasted chocolate & coffee hit immediately, without much hops bitterness, and leveled out in a buttery, tangy sweet harmony of creamy coffee and raisin. The alcohol barely makes a showing.

Mouthfeel: VERY smooth. Luxuriously so. The rich flavor mutes the bitterness and acidity, without being particularly heavy. It's still on the light side in body.

Drinkability: Easily drinkable, and a great intro to the porter style for anyone who's uninitiated. You can sip on this one all evening, and it's still a worthy porter even after you've had some of the finer examples of the style.

As a bonus...it's great for grilling burgers as well. Whenever I've been able to get a hold of this, I saturate about 2 lbs of ground beef in 9 oz. or so of it, with a little bit of worcetershire and some garlic. It's bliss. (1,068 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I live about 15 minutes from the St. James brewery and ashamed to note that although I only recently started taking a serious interest in beer, I never knew this brewery existed. Surprisingly, I found that ALOT of people who lived aroud this area were unaware of it as well. That all changed thanks to the Beer Diretory on this site and I was quickly on my way to try the St. James Porter. I can be pretty damn sure that I got a fresh sixer, being only about 7 miles away from the brewery, and it was from a well lit, well rotated grocer.

This beer on a medium pour produced a nice one finger head that lasted for about a minute or so before dissipating into a ring and island. The lace clung nicely all over the glass as if fearing for it's life. It had a nice burnt brown look with deep ruby undertones. The nose was deep bodied, smelling of freshly roasted coffee and a nice cherry, dark berry hint. Only upon taste do you find the nice dark chocolate over fresh coffee taste. The roasted malt dominating and a very slight fruitiness that fights off any hop taste. At the end, you have the tiniest taste of hops that just slightly sours your mouth but quickly fades away, begging you to come back to it quickly.The mouthfeel is medium-light to medium, yet creamy smooth and crisp. I would prefer it just a bit heavier on the mouth, and just a bit less carbonation though. The nice smooth aftertaste lends quite well to the drinkability and I would easily be able to have it as a session beer or even just with dinner. This is a great example of American porter that balances complexity with drinkability. It's easily right up there with your Anchor and Sierra Nevada porters. (1,681 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark body but almost clear dark brown when held up to a light, thin consistent beige head, light lacing

S - Immediate hints of coffee, chocolate, nutty

T - Quick hit with slight sweetness, roles into roasted malts, nuts, masks the alcohol well

M - Lightly carbonated, just enough to compliment the flavors but not enough to drawn attention

O - Overall a great example of a porter. Will most definitely get a few more after Summer (437 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

I'm no stranger to stouts, but I must admit this is my first tasting of a porter - I'll be sure to try more of the highly rated brands after this one.

12oz. bottle, poured into a pint glass. Almost black, no light getting through, 1-finger head that quickly settled down.

Aroma is wonderful, malt and slightly burnt coffee.

First sip was a revelation - I WILL be enjoying many more porters in the future. Dark chocolate, espresso, malt, very pleasant and not overpowering bitterness that settles into a mild sweetness on the tongue. So many different tastes at the same time - complex, indeed!

Very smooth mouthfeel, just enough carbonation. Goes down extremely easy. Very nice aftertaste. I can see this being a dessert beer.

Absolutely delicious brew that brought a smile to my face and warmed my belly just right.

Exceptional! (835 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -13.6%

12 oz. bottle

Pours a thick, beefy black that cannot be seen through even when held up next to a light source. Very little carbonation on this one, barely any head at all. Scents of toffee, sweet caramel, and roasted malts dominate this beer. The taste is of cold coffee, black cherries and bittersweet chocolate. A very nice flavor, although the aftertaste is a bit grainy.

This beer is readily available at most upscale grocery stores in the Carolinas and for less than $7 a six-pack, I would recommend this as a good everyday Porter. (543 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

This is a good beer. I have been drinking a lot of back-to-back Porters lately, and this one is top 2. It is my first "local" beer I have had since relocating to the Hampton Rds area, I think I am going to have to seek out this brewery.

A: Dark/Tan

S: very full smelling. Hard to explain, but it smells like a Porter (Malts, espresso, a hint of a berry).

T: The taste is excellent. Very filling, not abrasive. Leaves a nice after taste.

M: Very satisfying. Leaves a nice resin of espresso.

Great beer. I highly recommend it. (532 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3%

A: Very dark mahogany, approaching stout darkness. Nice two finger head.

S: Smells strongly of chocolate, at times almost like chocolate syrup. Also hints of coffee.

T: Very strong presence of chocolate. If I could imagine a "chocolate beer", this would be it. Almost too much chocolate at times. I feel like it could have used a little more hopping to balance out the taste. At times it felt like they put chocolate syrup in the brew. If you like smooth chocolate, then this is it.

M: Very lush and velvety. Very smooth with little dryness. Very nice.

D: Very nice porter, with definite chocolate character. A good session beer. (634 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

This might be one of the best porters I've had in quite a while. It was last night, and I'd driven 12 hours from NH to my brother's in Virginia before being welcomed in with this fine brew. Anyhow, it's got a great flavor and mouthfeel. The flavor comes across as smooth and chocolately, along with some notes of roasted barley. There's a wonderful silky texture on the tongue. I didn't pour it into a glass, so I didn't get the full aroma or appearance, but nothing about this beer tells me I wouldn't want to have it again! I'd definitely recommend it. (554 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%

Serving Type: Tall Pilsner

On first pour this beer has a pale/amber head that for me was abundant. Decent to average lacing. Head dicipated withing a moderate time period.

For aroma, this is a great smelling beer. Floral hops up front with almost a clove note at times(in the slightest form). Definately an ale as the title entails.

For taste, a bit bitter for my taste's on the back end. Up front a nice rich malt soon taken over by a strong hop bitterness. Definately a Fuggle feel to me at least.

Overall, if you like English style ales with a great hop aroma, this is a good choice, however the taste was a little lacking for me. But still not a bad choice.

Out of all of the St George Brews that I have had this is my least favorite, but going up against many of their other choices is a hard contest. I look forward to all the options this brewer has to offer. (871 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

A - very small slight creamy head, dark in the glass like midnight, slight hint of red at top and bottom of glass

S - nice roasted malt scent, hint of chocolate.

T - tasted like a dark roasted malt, slight chocolate flavor

M - coats the mouth in velvet

D - very drinkable, wouldn't want to drink too many as I feel the enjoyment would be lost after a few.

Wonderful Porter, fantastic after taste. (401 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

Had this on tap at County Grill & Smokehouse in Yorktown, VA.

Appearance: Very dark brown, but not quite black. Neat 2.5 finger khaki head that dissipated rather quickly.

Smell: Best part of this beer for me. I smelled chocolate on dark fruit. Smelled like sticking my nose in a box of raisinettes.

Taste: Melted chocolate & sweet, dark malts on the front of the tongue. Fades into darker chocolate & coffee flavors on the back of the tongue. Light hoppy finish gives this a decent balanced flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Could drink a few of these easily. Complimented my bbq ribs very well.

Overall, a very nice porter. It's not one of my favorite styles, but I enjoyed this on. Not quite the most complex porter I've ever had, but it was extremely drinkable. I had two of them with dinner. (798 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last