J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale - J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd

J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-18-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 816 | Hads: 1,360
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

The 1999 vintage ale, appearance: Ruby tone with a semi hazy coat on, cream head forms rather thin head leaves behind even layers of lacing nice. Aroma: Rich sugary sweetness with nutty toasted caramel malt character, extremely complex layer of hops East Kent Goldings according to the label very piney in nature. Taste: Sugary complex layers of malt and bitter hop finish seems very smooth for 11.5 abv but wow what a barleywine could be the most interesting one to cross my palate yet. Mouthfeel: Full bodied brew syrupy like texture nice and sticky wow even reserved carbonation butterscotch like. Drinkability: A special occasion once in awhile experience not a beer I would buy a case of but it's so damn tasty the one thing is the sugar sweetness can be a bit overbearing. All in all it's incredible I am wowed. (817 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +12.4%

Cask-condtioned from a former Port wine cask. 2002 vintage.

Pours a brownish-copper color that yields no head and shows no hopes of carbonation. Not to worry, however.

Incredibly complex nose -- the port has shown its influence. Rum, vanilla, caramel, toffee, port wine, alcohol and nutty aromas all come through, creating a brilliant effect. The oak aging certainly did a number for this batch. Simply phenomenal.

Rich, complex, and profound flavors. More caramel, vanilla, nuts, rum, port, and definite hints of oak and alcohol are all there. This is one deep barleywine on its own, and the introduction of port and oak influence... wow.

Viscous, minorly syrupy mouthfeel. Super smooth and thick. Mouth-coating.

Drinks exceptionally well for what it is. Very warming. The aromatic and flavorful nuances kept me coming back for more, scratching my head along the way. Is this stuff for real? It simply must be experienced in this rare form. (956 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

1997 vintage, served in a 275 mL bottle, into a goblet. The color is a dark amber-brown, with a wispy beige head. The smell is a nice porty malt/alcohol. The taste is very flowery malt sweet, with a good mellow hop in the taste and a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is syrupy thick. As for drinkability, if I could find em and afford em, I'd drink these till I fell flat on my face.

Thank you to mydeadguy for the beer for my 500th Karma Point. A simply fantastic barleywine, easily one of the world's best, smooth like a port wine yet with a nice but not harsh alcohol and hop kick to it. Definitely one I'd look for in the future!! (638 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Vintage 2000 consumed 2004. A vvery marvelous brew with an incredible aroma that is very fruity and very full. The primary scent that I noticed was a cross between coconut and prunes with coconut winning the battle. The flavor is truly fruit with big dark fruit predominating, primarily prune flavors.

The eye is filled with a nice ruby to garnet look and topped with a very nice bit of foam that laces with sticky clumps. heavy, cloying feel, and the drinkability is interrupted by this and the ABV. (503 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

1989 Vintage sampled in 2004 - The color is dark orange to brown. The oily body gives rise to tastes of vanilla, wood accents, and citrus notes. This beer is very complex and mellow. It is earthy and slight minty with port/madiera oxidation. The body is lean and smooth, yet it still has some carbonation. Best drank from a snifter.

Just sampled the 1986 Vintage and it was amazing. It was pretty much as expected, but I was surprised that it had quite a bit of carbonation. (477 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +13.1%

Year 2000 Version here.

Pours a deep ruby brown with more carbonation than expected.

Truly powerfully smelling beer! BIG dark fruits and Tutty-fruity smell, and big malt smell. Almost like being punched in the nose by it and it stealing your lunch money! You could really spend an entire day just sniffing this beer.

TASTES LIKE A TOP NOTCH PORT WINE. This is like a $40 bottle of old port wine with a bit of carbonation. Also means this is top notch for any recipe calling for Port or Marsalla wine. Strong nutty and floral tastes, yet not too sweet.

Mouthfeel is big, but you NEVER chug this, to good for that!

Very drinkable, but sip it, you will want to taste every drop. (690 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

On my 20th review, I decided to review the J.W. Lees Harvest Vintage Ale.

This was a 1997 Vintage ale

This brew poured out almost like motor oil. Nice chesnut/reddish color with very little carbonation.

Smell consists of caramel and hints of brown sugar come into mind.

Taste was huge. Big thick body and mouthfeel on this bad boy. Big taste on caramel, figs, plums, Finishes with some toffee. Call me crazy but the finish almost tastes like drinking tea. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth. Love it. (508 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Harvest Ale 1997.

I have been dieing to try this beer as I have one each from '97-'00. This beer is dark reddish brown in color with almost no head at all. I actually wouldn't expect one from a beer that is six years old. The smell is port like with tons of malt and cherry notes coming through. The taste is thick and malty! Kind of reminds me of Benolence form CBC but a bit thicker. I would never expect a six year old brew to hold up this well. Anise, pepper, cherries and raisins all come through.

What a great sipper. I can't wait to try the other vintages as well. (578 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Vintage: 1997

Potent, sweet, malty caramel and lightly alcoholic aroma. Dark burgundy colored beer. Tan head composed of fine bubbles that fades to a thin film. Hints of toffee, chocolate, and burnt malt in the flavor. Slick sweet aftertaste that is a bit overpowering. A strong, flavorful beer that is best sipped on a cool winter evening. (343 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 1988

Poured a leathery color with tints of chestnut. There was plenty of floaties despite a careful pour which I suppose made up for the total lack of head. There was seriously zero carbonation in this beer, but no mind I am not the biggest fan of carbonation. The smell was musty licorice, oak and this other funky musty smell I usually get with a lambic. the taste was super dry with vinous flavors rounded out with more of the licorice and a smooth vanilla finish. The alcohol was not very apparent as it had mellowed considerably along with the rest of the flavors in the beer. The mouthfeel of this brew was perfect for the purpose. I could sip tow or three of these without my pallete being worse for the wear.

I think I have to take minute to talk about this beer. I have never tried a beer that was this old. It was certainly a different experience. I am not exactly sure how to rate this beer so I will do my best. However, that being said I would strongly recomend trying experiments such as this. I feel that this is the english equivalent to Lambics in an esoteric nature. But where Lambics should be drank amidst a good conversation at a dark bar, this beer should be drank from a snifter in contemplative solitude on a cold winters eve. (1,264 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -12%

This is a great, deep amber colored body, althoug there's little to no head, it's still a beautiful beer. The aroma is mainly walnuts and honey. The flavor is just a little too sweet. This is very mead-like. A little syrupy. It would be best as an after-dinner sipper, I think. (277 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

1988: Bottle was from a case we just got in to our store. Dust was caked on nice and thick, and as I was opening it I realized the cap was rusted pretty good. The rust was slightly visible from beneath the foil, but I didn’t realize the extent. No worries…

Brownish-red, slightest ever wisp around the glass. Smells of alcohol, rum, and butterscotch candy. Actually, it kinda smells like a good, British barley wine. Go figure. Vinous up front with some amontillado sherry qualities, followed by dark brown sugar mixed with butter. The malt is so processed by the yeast over 15 years, the sweetness reminds me of a very dilute saccharin solution. Don’t get me wrong, the great malty goodness is still there, but just not in the same form as it would be in a younger bottle. It closes with a refined hop snap that lingers long into the finish playing hide and seek with that wonderful malt. The oxidation makes itself known after the malt finally fades away. Carbonation starts out as very, very light which fades away to nothing about five minutes into the glass. Body is smooth through and through and less cordial-like than very young examples.

This a very complex beer. I didn’t even scratch the surface. I didn’t give the malt presence enough adulation, nor did I address the gullet warming abilities of this brew. Hell, it can’t be a surprise considering the alcohol content! Overall, great beer, but past it’s prime. I’m curious to give my ‘86 a try. (1,471 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

1988 vintage

Blowing the dust off of the little nip bottle, this beer poured flat but a lack of carbonation is expected after 15 years of aging. Most surprising was its very dark brown color, much darker than any other vintage I've encountered, especially in its thick body shading toward translucent.

Smelled of a sherry or port profile, impossibly lean but impenetrably complex. Had big notes of butterscotch, dark honey, rum, and each truly so. These are the most recognizable out of the stealthy and heady mix; tough to paint the picture of its scent in more than large strokes. Enough to say that it is quite nice, maybe muddled, and lacking the dizzying pungency of younger vintages.

The taste is just as complex and lean, immediately giving off flavors of buttery rum and hops that have turned into alchol infused floral fruits with aged bitterness. Has a smooth and caramelized sweetness with a buttery touch with opening, and distinct from the rum notes. Like younger bottles, this beer is still malty first then hop cleansing in the finish, though most impressive is the dark alcoholic roastiness that becomes almost mocha-like. Again, so complex, thick, but sleek that its hard to be exacting - instead you get a supreme drinking experience.

A slick, thick, and smooth mouthfeel like none other, after aging for 15 years this is a heavenly syrup. The heights of aged beer, standing up to any liqueur, this is the beer I use to wow my friends that are uninitiated to beer. I would not enjoy vintages older than this, and I never venture younger than 4-year old bottles - maybe 7 to 11 years is the peak.

A comforting beer every time out, so my scores reflect other vintages as well as the particular one reviewed. Thanks to JimD for the assist on the bottle of 1988. (1,794 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.1%

1999 Reserve-Pours a beautiful copper brown color.No head or carbonation to speak of.Fruity,vinuous aroma.Big upfront malt flavor.Residual sweetness.Treacle like-toffee,caramel,coffeeish notes.A big,big beer.Wonderful mouthfeel.Very "chewy"-a splash would be good over vanilla ice cream.Silky smooth-11.5%?Where?A great beer with a great drinkability.Definately a sipper but you could very easily sip more then one.Would like to try an older vintage. (450 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +0.9%

A review of the Vintage Harvest Ale 2000. This is a great beer to wind down with on a cold winter night. It has a nice, sweet malty aroma with traces of alcohol and fruit. This cloudy amber/copper beer is capped with a good sustaining head. It has a doughy mouthfeel and I found the taste to be brandy-like with caramel, figs, and oak. The lace is good and it finishes with a slight bittersweet taste. It is a bit pricey, but well worth it. It's potency became apparent as I wrote my original notes. (499 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

1997 Vintage, 12 ounce bottle, purchased at Bierkraft in NYC for $6 or so. A good purchase for sure! This classic brew poured out a nice dark reddish colour with plenty of inherent carbonation. The aromas were all across the board, and very Hardy's like at times. The aromas consisted of dark fruits, spicy alcohol, deep, deep roasted malts, and very freshly cut, bitter, herbal, grassy, sappy, piney, hops. Over the years the hops have been cut down to size and the malt really dominates in this brews taste, but that is OK to me, this is a classic brew, that 6 years of aging has totally rounded into a new dimension of complexity and balance. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, but i'll knock a point off for the lack of liveliness. The drinkability is only marred by the super strong ABV. A classic! (804 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +13.6%

1997 release
Appearance: Clear but deep ruby-mahogany body. Decent, fizzy tan colored head that fades to a very thin but unbroken cap.
Smell: Sherry, oaky, port-wine, fusel alcohol, carmelized malt sugars, dark/ripe fruits. Stunningly complex.
Taste: Stunningly delicious... Molasses, sweet toffee malt, dark cherries, raisins to start, Sherry/port vinous character at the top. Dries with hop bitterness that allows a figgy/prune fruit aftertaste to linger. So big, but so balanced and level controlled.
Mouthfeel: Viscous, knife-and-fork chewy yet does not over-saturate the taste buds, gentle carbonation and warm/numbing alcohol glow. Incredibly smooth and velvety
Drinkability: For me, this will be a barleywine style standard. Too pricey for extended drinking, but worth every penny. Will seek this out every Xmas... and thus begins my true appreciation for aged ales. (878 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

1997 Vintage

This beer pours a dark auburn with a creamy beige head. The lace clings to the glass despite the loss of the head.

Maple, toffee and chocolate dance in the air above the beer and create an anticipation that can't wait to be quenced.

Taste - Wow! Where to start? Smooth, mellow and oh so flavorful. The aromas are more subtle in the taste but no less wonderful. Where is the alcohol? It is so well concealed that you would have no idea it's 11.5%. There is no hop flavor but a nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel - It is creamy like liquid cake. This beer is like a warm blanket on a cold and dreary night. My mouth is swimming in comfort.

This beer has a presence that dominates your senses and leaves you totally satisfied. All beers should be this good. At $6.00 a bottle, this is not your everyday beer but it is worth drinking on occasion. I do have the 2002 vintage waiting--should I open it now or save it for later? (941 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Vintage: 1997
Serving type: Bottle

The bottle suggested drinking this by the end of 2002...I got to it before the end of 2003 and I don't think it suffered. I received some very good news today so decided it would be a great time to crack it open and also to make my first review for BA (so bear with me!).

This beer poured a deep brown, which was very pleasing to the eye. There was no head to speak of and no lacing...I blame the glassware I chose. Perhaps it was a little dirty or had some soap residue. The beer captured the ambient light very nicely and created a wonderful image that would have beeen even more pleasing with a 3 finger head.

The smell was malt, malt, malt, malt, and a little bit of must. I think I detect some molasses, but I may just be guessing!

The taste is what gets you! So sweet! Almost candy-like. The malt jumps out and grabs you and takes you prisoner. I haven't developed into a hop-head yet, but even I was looking for a little hop flavor to balance the sweetness. Perhaps if I drank this prior to '02 as suggested, the hops would still be there? I definitely taste a bit of molasses. Towards the finish, I pick up definite traces of butter.

I gave this a 3 for drinkability, because at 11.5% ABV it is definitely a sippin beer. Although, they were able to hide the alcohol quite well behind the sweetness, more than 1 of these in a sitting would be too much.

A great beer. One I'll definitely on the lookout for other vintages. (1,482 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.6%

Wow, this is a huge beer. Very port-like. Pours a dark brown with an ample tan head. Aroma is oh so sweet and malty. Also raisins, molasses, and buttery toffee. Taste is incredibly sweet and smooth. Caramel, toffee, raisins, some coffee. Ends with a touch of bitterness and a bit of grain. Thank God for it because otherwise this would be the sweetest thing I've ever tasted. Gives you a nice warm, toasty feeling as well. Perfect for a winter's night. (452 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I am going to review two seperate vintages at once. It is kind of a decade tasting. I have a bottle of 1992 and 2002. I did the beers side by side and did not finish one before starting the other. Ate some pretzel and water in between brews. I will do each review seperately.

1992 vintage
I poured the beer into my tasting glass. It was chilled to just below room temp. Absolutely no head. WOuld have thought it was bourbon if I didnt see it pour from the bottle. dark mahogany in color with slightly rubyish tints. Very strong malt and alcohol aromas. Also maple syrup and some smokiness. No hop presence whatsoever.
First sip. Zero carbonation. Very viscous and thick mouthfeel. Maybe even oily characteristics, definitely syrupy, actually coats my gums a little. Alcohol warmth all the way down into my belly. no hop flavor either. Very vinous overall. SOme medicinal characteristics. As the bottle warms the alcohol flavor gives a little to bourbon flavors and oak as well. Very rich beer. I find the beer to much more drinkable as it warms. Very sweet and tasty. Great experience!
Appearance 4
Smell 4
taste 4.5
mouthfeel 5.0
drinkability 4.0

onto the 2002 vintage (2003 sampling)

This beer pours with a creamy orangish tan head. Very tight bubbles in the foam. THe color is also orange,maybe copper and is kind of bright, very clear pour as well.
The aroma is rather tangy with some hints of oak and again alcohol aromas. The maple syrup is also in there.
First sip. Very mild carbonation. very smooth brew! THis is a lighter bodied brew and the alcohol is not as dominant. I actually taste some earthy hop flavors on the finish in this one. Makes me think of working in the garden. I find this brew to be more drinkable while it is still chilled and the warming only makes it tastier. I am glad I cellared a bottle of this one as well. It will be nice to compare ina year or two to these notes.

2002 bottle sampled in 2009

This is a vintage 2002 bottle. I am splitting with Stopper. Pour at cellar temp into a snifter. A mostly clear rich mahogany color with fizzy beige head that fades rapidly to an edge layer.
Aroma is immediately eveident with dark rum soaked raisins, toffee, and a little booze. Maybe some apple brandy and molasses mixing in there too.
Very complex and enticing nose.
First sip reveals an average body and texture with very fine carbonation, very smooth easy drinker. Flavor is also very complex as the nose aadvertises.
All malt hits with toffee, molassess, rum soaked raisins or prunes again, some red grape as well. No reall alcohol heat anywhere. Very smooth and tasty. Wish I had bought more than this bottle 6 years ago. Absolutely excellent experience!

Appearance 4.5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5.0
Mouthfeel 5.0
Drinkability 4.5 (2,763 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

2000 Vintage

9.3 oz bottle. Pours an unfiltered tawny red with a thin light brown head. Aroma of malt, raisins, dark rum ascend from my snifter. Full-bodied mouthfeel. Strong carbonation attacks the tongue upfront then disappears quickly. Flavors of dark fruit, malt and oak are noticed first. Then a feint cherry sweetness emerges for a second and is gone. There's a light punch of alcohol right before just before flavors of caramel and toffee round out the finish. Very smooth for a 11.5% abv.

Even sitting at three years old this barley wine seems young. Not quite raw, but just seems to still be blending its flavors together. I'd let this one sit and continue to mature for a few more years and see what amazing complexities continue to develop. I'd like to shelve some more of these and seek out an older vintage to sample. (836 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

1999 275ml Bottle Opened 11/16/03

Deep amber brown appearance with a light fluffy head that dissipated quickly.The aroma is sweet malt with fruit,butter and alcohol.Taste is fruity, with thick malt and butter and a dash of hops on the finish.Mouthfeel is thick and buttery with a light oily feel.This beer was still very young and I will let the other age a bit longer to see where it goes.Outstanding! (407 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.5%

1998 vintage - opened in 2003

Tight tan head of tiny bubbles. Very dark copper brown that is somewhat murky. The head lingers for a while then settles to a thin lace across the surface. The aroma is immediately sweet and malty with maple, rum raisins, and dark fruits being quite noticeable. A slight hint of alcohol is present. Smooth medium-full mouthfeel, but there’s an incredibly malt sweetness that creeps all over the inside of the mouth. The alcohol is quite subdued and well hidden with only a slight warming sensation. The sweetness does not seem to be a hindrance at first, but by the end of the glass, it begins to get somewhat cloying. Not really any hops to speak of; the sweetness simply fades out in the finish then lingers in the aftertaste. Definitely a brew to be sipped and not guzzled, but even then, I felt the sweetness to be a little too much.

This is a 5 year old bottle. Maybe any hop presence that was there at a younger age has faded? Maybe it still needs a few years for the malts to mellow? One way or the other, this bottle wasn’t quite my cup of tea. The store I purchased it from has ‘98, ‘99, ‘00, and ’01 vintages. Maybe I’ll try to pick up a younger vintage to see how they compare... (1,234 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1999 vintage. 4.5

Poured a deep ruby brown with an inch of sticky patchy off white head with plenty of bubbles to begin but dropping rather quickly, though at 11.5% that is to be expected. The aroma is strongly malt sweet with fruit and heady alcoholic esters. Taste is sweet with fruity plum and raisin hints, sweet earthy tobacco, healthy malt profile...barely a hop presence, though slightly bitter.
An exceptionally smooth and warming ale.. alcohol from the back of the throat to the belly. The mouth is round and slick, opening up on swirling, the body is then lightened a bit and slightly chewy to fluffy, with decent amounts of carbonation. This brew is truly a gift from on high, my first non-U.S. barleywine, and amazing at that... impressive.
I look forward to more this coming winter..

___
1998 vintage. 4.7

Pours a deep woody garnet, with an old newspaper tan yellow, patchy loose head, starting at a couple fingers, then disappearing fairly quickly.

Scent is of caramel, over-ripe apple, and overwhelmingly, sweet malt. the alcohol is more muted than the '99, with a deep woody sweetness apparent.

The taste is so good, where to begin? Butterscotch, toffee, caramel and raisins with a slight alchol warming in the belly that mellows from the first sip. Exquisite.
Like burnt apple pie with raisins, sweet, warm, bready, malty and more sweet. I can see people who don't like barleywines not liking this beer, but i love it. Quite beautiful, over the top + mind bendingly strong, don't kid yourself that you're having anything else after this.

Mouthfeel leans towards oil-slick, but also has some strong grip on the tongue, like eating a caramel apple in September. sweet and refreshing, but in an "it's about time to go home" way. a real great beer that knows just how great.

I have to bump the taste up to 5, because its december.
every once in a while, decide that this will be your last two beers of the night, do it, you'll thank me..

___ (1,989 characters)