Join our email list →

J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd
United Kingdom (England) | website

English Barleywine | 11.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 12-18-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 831 | Hads: 1,419
4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

The beer is a murky amber color with a small off-white head. A bit oxidized, but a really nice caramel and dark fruit aroma. Good brown sugar and maybe a hint of vanilla. The flavor is also slightly oxidized with a hint of alcohol. Great brown sugar, caramel, and toffee flavors. A nice bit of cherry and plum to go with raisins.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Drinking a 2000 vintage in celebration of my daughter's birth. poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A- Much darker than i recall the 2007 and 2008 bottles I had last fall. Dark brown with low carbonation, but what is there lingers around the edge. A beautiful dark brew....was it particular to the year, or did age somehow do this? I'm not sure.

S- ah....amazing. malt, malt, malty sweetness. it has the distinct smell of an aged brew. toffee, caramel.

T- simply stunning. toffee, grain, caramel. it has the incredible grain flavor that the 07 and 08 years had, but it is so much more refined. the yeast has settled well and leaves a clear brew that tastes absolutely stunning. i could drink this all day, every day.

M- sticks to the tongue. smooth, velvety with a feel that lingers. a faint hint of carbonation. mildly sticky finish due to the sugars.

O-Easily one of the best beers I have ever had. I had one and this was the best occasion to open it on. I wish I had a case more. I will be aging the rest of them as long.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%

A - Pours a very cloudy orange-brown with a thin layer of fizzy tannish head. The head fades down fairly quickly leaving behind a touch of lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of raisins, prunes, other dark fruits, maple, caramelized malts, brown sugar, caramel malts, a bit of light citrus fruits, and some booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of sweet raisin and prune with some brown and maple sugars with some dark caramel malts and a bit of citrus fruit. Through the middle, some more caramel flavor comes through with some more maple syrup and molasses. The finish is a mix of dark fruits with some caramelized malts and other dark malts, molasses, a touch of citrus and earthy hop, and some booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with mild carbonation. Feels smooth and syrupy with a warming and sweet finish.

D - Very drinkable. Really nice rich sweet malt backbone with a great balance of sugars and dark fruit flavors.

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, CA.

Billed as the 25th Anniversary edition of this beer.

Pours a slightly murky honey orange-brown with a foamy off-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, caramel, toffee, and some light apple-like fruit aromas. Taste is of malt, brown sugar, caramel, toffee, and some fruity flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and full bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is quite strong and rich and has a better smell than taste in my opinion.

4.79/5  rDev +12.7%

A: One of the hazier beers I've ever had but that is to be a little expected given that the vintage is four years old. There was no head when poured into a 12 oz globe glass.

S: Boozy. It hits you in the face immediately. There is a nice malty and maple aroma.

T: Excellent. There is a fantastic maple start with a nice grain/malt middle and a somewhat strong alcohol finish. This is what a barleywine is suppose to be.

M: Heavy due to the high alcohol and malt profile. A little under carbonated.

O: Excellent beer. If given the opportunity to try this it is a must. This joins the list of great barleywines that I've had with Abacus, King Henry, and Mother of All Storms.

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%

Whoa, serious beer. Poured this at a good temperature with a small, foamy head that promptly disappeard and no lace. Color is a hazy/cloudy amber brown with a lot of sediment. Aroma is a very volatile blend of caramel, yeast, malt, dark ripe fruit, raisins, bread dough, and seemingly many other things. Flavor's like nose, with sweet out front along with, curiously, a little chili pepper, bitter a little behind that and just a smidgen of carbonic tang. Body is full and lush with some little bitter points that just contribute to the beautiful picture. Carbonation is a little tame, but it works. Finish does get a little boozy, but overall is pleasant and on the long side. Outstanding beer.

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%

1999 version

A: murky and muddy brown body. No head.

S: sherry and cabernet dominate. some dark fruit, ofee, chocolate and caramel malts. forbodes a strong boozy flavor.

T: wow. This one is strong and not just in the boozy way but also in the tart, sweet and sour way. sherry, tons of dark fruit mostly raisin. The finish has an oak, smokey and cake batter character.

M: so sweet its hard to tell. medium body and light carbonation. oily and thick.

Overall: almost got a headache right away from the sweetness. This one is definitely unique and somehow complex in the finish despite the overwhelming tart and sweetness. I couldnt finish this one.

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

1999 vintage bottle, 275ml, poured into my CBS snifter.

A: Halfway between deep brown and ruby red. Small cap of foam sits atop the beer after the head fizzes away.

S: Sherry, dark fruits, light raisin. Very sweet and malty, dominated by the fruity sherry scent.

T: This is rich! Deep, sweet intoxicating fruits. There sherry notes present in the nose are also easy to pick out. I am unsure to what degree this sherry taste is from oxidation. Sweet and malty, overall, but it's a bit too sherry-heavy, probably from great oxidation.

M: Light to medium bodied, lower in carbonation, semi-slick. Works for the style.

O: It's fun to have such a vintage beer (the oldest I've been lucky enough to sample). The beer is a bit over the hill, in my opinion. It's enjoyable to sample, but not a vintage I'll see out in the future.

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

275 mL bottle poured into a CCB snifter. 2008 vintage.

Appearance - Pours with no head and no lacing. Sticky legs down the side, but not much else redeeming. Looks syrupy in the glass. Huge chunks of sediment come out of the bottom. Suspending in my maple-syrup looking beer. Kinda gross.

Smell - Oh wow. Raisiny goodness. Like a dense fruitcake. Definitely booze to it. Some caramel behind all of it, but it's all about the fruits.

Taste - And it's sweet as hell. Like a dense fruitcake. Deep raisin and dark fruit flavors. Quite a nice taste, but golly it's sweet.

Mouthfeel - Did I mention the sweetness? Thick and syrupy. Took me a really long time to finish this bottle. Low carbonation.

Overall - I can only hope some more years of aging will do this nicely. Maybe dry it out a bit. I love the flavors, but they get masked by the sugars.

4.62/5  rDev +8.7%

2002 Vintage Bottle

A-murky brown with coppery highlights, very small if any head.

S-lots of prune/fig/dates with an oaky backbone. Slight smokiness too.

T-sweet goodness. Has a huge sweet soy sauce flavor with pit fruits. Big oakiness and candi sugar taste too. May be a new fav.

M-thick body with little carbonation but it is a 10 year old bottle...

O-may be my new favoite ever!!

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

Brewed in 2011, bought from Ellwood Thompson's Local Market on May 11, 2012. Couldn't resist trying it, I'll probably buy another bottle to cellar at some point! Drank it out of an oversized wine glass.

A - Beautiful clear, amber pour with white pillowy head. Reduces down to a cloudy residual layer on the top. Good amount of lacing too. Steady carbonation rising from the bottom but not too much. This is a beautiful beer! 4.5

S - So many scents it's almost impossible to decipher them all. Buttery diacetyl, fresh-cut grass, an abundance of fruits like apricot, apples, and pears; maybe a hint of esters in there as well. Strong floral, hoppy notes in there as well. Caramel, toffee, molasses, and malt are also present. 5.0

T - Wowza. Just like the aroma, this beer is hard to decipher. Sugary, buttery notes up front with malt, toffee, caramel, and fruit. I'd compare it to toffee dipped in butterscotch. Middle of the tongue gets a strong malt flavor and a sort of spiciness imparted by the strong alcohol content. Wraps up nicely with a little bitter, floral hop on the back of the tongue. Aftertaste is clearly sweet on the front of your tongue, bitter on the back. Absolutely delicious but there is SO much flavor you have to sip this beer slowly to fully appreciate it. 5.0

M - Somewhat thick, almost "chewy" as I've seen others describe it. High alcohol content makes it feel almost sappy on the tongue, leaving a slight residue of flavor. 4.5

O - This beer is quite possibly one of the most complex--and dare I say it--and best beers I've ever had. The myriad of flavors is truly unbelievable, and I can't even imagine what this would be like if it were cellared for two or three years even. I will definitely be buying a bottle of this and keeping it for as long as I can. 4.5

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

2001 vintage bottle served in an oversized wineglass.

pours a hazy amber/copper tone reminiscent of a belgian quad. some sediment; a finger and a half of head with middling retention and some lacing.

nose is both bold and complex. a sweet bouquet of dark fruits, molasses, malts, caramel, honey, alcohol, and a touch of something else i can't quite pin down... cognac maybe? taste follows the aroma. tons going on. booze is more subdued than i'd have thought going off the nose. lot of dark fruits and malt sweetness. very tasty; nice, smooth finish.

mouthfeel is chewy, syrupy - brings to mind the dfh 120. drinkability is solid. i would welcome another. this hasn't been one of my preferred styles but the best i've had to date; in fact it's offerings like this that show you how good the style can be. fantastic EBW.

original review on: 08-19-2010

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

1999 vintage, big thanks to kecarl7 for this amazing extra!
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- Pours a thick dark amber, brown with a thin beige minimal head. Lacing on the edge of glass resides almost immediately.

S- sweet dark fruits, caramel, toffee, leather and tobacco.

T- crazy sweetness, dark fruits, maple syrup, molasses, some leather as well.

M- full bodied not said lightly, medium carbonation. Thick syrup feel with a smooth finish.

O- a little overly sweet but the body and falvors in this beer is like no other barlewine I have ever had. Believe I have a 2002 which I hope is near as amazing as the 1999!

3.04/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

For all the hype this seems like it should be a great beer, and I think it possibly is, but there was something off about mine.

I purchased the 2007 vintage and upon pouring it I noticed all sorts of particles in it. I'm guessing it was just the yeast, and just not a very flocculent strain of it, as I don't see any remaining in the bottle. From some of the other reviews it seems like this may be normal, but still it was a little off-putting.

The bigger issue was the flavor. There was a distinct "dirty snow" taste masking the raisiny, nutty, malty sweetness that you would expect. I saw another reviewer here saying that their 2010 version tasted like an ashtray. I would agree, definite ashtray flavor in mine. I'm guessing most of the bottles aren't like this, but it seems like there must be something causing this every so often. Maybe bad oxidation?

Besides that, it smells great, raisins and nuts. When the particles settle, it has a great clear copper/brown color. Behind the ashtray flavor there's definitely a warm, malty, nutty and honey sweetness.

If not for the dirt/ashtray taste, it would have lived up to its hype... who knows, maybe one of the brewers ashed their cigar in my beer.

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%

700th review! 275 ml bottle into tulip glass, 2002 vintage(12/1/2002). Pours a murky dark brown color with a small dark khaki head with decent retention that reduces to a ring of lace as expected. Some slight bits of lacing on the glass. Aromas of huge caramel, molasses, biscuit, wood, toffee, raisin, earth, whiskey, chocolate, and light herbal. Damn nice aromas with good strength and complexity. Taste of HUGE caramel, toffee, molasses, brown sugar, wood, raisin, butterscotch, chocolate, biscuit, honey, and slight herbal hops. Lingering notes of molasses, caramel, toffee, raisin, honey, and butterscotch on the finish for a good while. Insane complexity, balance, and smoothness; with no cloying sweetness at all; despite this being a 100% malty beer. Light carbonation and full bodied; with an absolutely beautiful creamy, slick, and thick mouthfeel. Alcohol is insanely well hidden with no warming noticed at all. Definitely a sipper, but I can’t even consider drinking this fast at all. Overall this is an absolutely mind blowing barely wine that was pushing 10 years old. I will not turn down purchasing older vintages of this in the future. Absolutely fantastic.

1987 Vintage, enjoyed on 4/10/12 at Monk's Cafe Beers of the Cellar event. I was born in 1988, so this is pretty cool.

It's a beautiful, very deep dark ruby pour that is completely clear and devout of head. 5

I was just bombarded by the aroma at first. This is a big change from the sours we've been working on. It smells very roasty and velvety smooth. Caramel, molasses, and a blend I only expect from perfectly aged beers. Is this melted toffee or is it alcoholic? 5

Guys this is, wow, a completely new experience with beer. I'm just, blown away. Toffee, caramel, butter, slight roast, melted candy-like taste that stands on its own. A 25 year old beer that is just out of this world. I can't believe it. 5+

It feels like velvety chocolate on the palate. Absolutely sweet, drinkable, and delicious. For the first time tonight I'm getting hints of booze. 5

Paired with a steak culotte, my drinking buddy noted he's getting a balsamic vinegar type taste here, sweet and dark, and I don't disagree. The steak and leaks have a great flavor and pair wonderfully. Apparently steak culotte is a very difficult meat to cook, and I’ve never had it. Still rare in the middle, this meat is really melt in your mouth good. The food has been out of this world do far. Ladies and gentlemen here you have it, my first and probably only perfect 5. Perfect pairing, setting, look, aroma, taste, and feel. It's like I've reached a plateau. I hope I'm wrong. 5

This is the "beer" that both inspired my user name and converted me into the world of craft beer. Here's my story if anyone cares to read. Time to spread the Karma around.
Back in May 2009 an ignorant 33 year old man (ME) thought craft beer was buying Guinness, Harp & Heineken. His friend "the Enlightened One" told him of a Craft Beer Fest. Fortunately, the ignorant one was smart enough to purchase a ticket and despite his ignorance was allowed entry through the door.

During the week before, the ignorant one started to read Beer Advocate and learned this event would have a firkin of a 12 year old JW Lees (1999). The ignorance permeated my brain: Beer that is 12 years old would be bad. Only when I started to read the reviews of BA here did I start to understand my ignorance.

On the day of 10 tasting tickets were provided to sample and luckily for me the "Enlightened One" guided me and I went to the firkin first. At this time the epiphany happened. I had 3 samples from the Firkin and my eyes started to open to the amazing world of craft beer.

This beer was perfect in every way. From the hammering of the wooden firkin to the cask pour to the smell of dark fruits/caramelized sugars to the syrupy full mouthfeel without any unnecessary head or carbonation. My words can't even begin to describe the depth of my experience. Heck I'm not a writer and only starting to learn how to be a BeerAdvocate.

Lastly, I can't even begin to thank JW Lees enough. Maybe 1 person will read this or the other reviews here and pick up a bottle of this. This beer is special! At $9.99 bottle its bargain priced. If ever in my life a firkin comes near Albany, NY again I'll be there. Cheers to all.

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Here is a bottle from 2000. Thanks to Matt for giving me a bottle from his cellar!

It appears to be a very dark colored amber with bright ruby red highlights and a thick tan head that leave a small amount of lacing on the side of the glass. Not perfectly clear, but that is no matter.

Served at room temp, this beer has a very strong aroma that wafts out of the glass immediately and continuously. Powerful aroma, with notes of sweet raw honey, caramel sauce, cherries, and an honest amount of sherry-like aromas. Hops? Not much, if any....mostly sweet.

The flavor is just perfect for an English Barleywine. Very full-flavored, leaning heavily on juicy malt. Very minimal bitterness. Remarkably, this 11.5% ABV beer tastes more like a 5% ABV beer. There is no heat, and very little else that would indicate a heavy-hitting beer. Although, this is definitely a BIG beer, with enormous flavor impacts from the vinous, port-like malt bomb.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied, with enough carbonation to not feel syrupy though there is a slight oily texture.

This is a great example of an aged English Barleywine. It is not my favorite style, but I can see this potentially really enhancing a dessert or maybe helping with a tough cheese. I recommend trying this if you are looking for authentic styles.

2.7/5  rDev -36.5%

2008 bottle. 275ml

A- Slightly hazy orange. Fluffy white head dissipating quickly to a few big bubbles and a ring. Thick alcohol legs.

S- Massive sweet malt aroma and alcohol. Bready, sticky, caramel, toffee, marshmallow.

T- Smoky, fruity, sickly sweet, some burnt aspect I can't put a finger on, bready, toffee, boozy. Middle of the mouth is like drinking honey, molasses and malt extract. The finish is cloying and slight burn from the alcohol.

M- Full bodied, low carbonation. Coats the mouth with sugary syrup.

O- This is not a beer for me. At least not now. Way too sweet and malty for my tastes. I'll finish the bottle because it is small and was expensive.

2.29/5  rDev -46.1%

2010 vintage 275 ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live, because it fell out of me fridge and foam started building so I knew I had to open it.

Bottle acquired at Hi Time Liquor in Costa Mesa, California.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured lightly given extra caronbation was expected.

A: Pours a half finger head of bad thickness, no real cream, and bad retention (maybe 20 seconds). Murky copper-brown colour. Floating yeast particles are certainly visible, with strange white floaters present. Not at all appealing.

Sm: Malty and yeasty. Malt dominates - a mixture of mildly dark malt and bright barley methinks. No roasting or toasting comes through. A mild strength aroma.

T: Heavy on the lees - sweet jaysus. Toffee is also a big element here. A sort of raisiny grapey fruit tone dominates the finish, with a hint of apple. I don't like the third act at all as a result; it feels really awkward and off. The remainder of the beer is merely clean malts. Lees were a bad call for this beer; even after two years of aging they're still quite dominant. It's a lot like drinking pure malt syrup to a degree. No alcohol comes through, which is impressive given the ABV. Overall, it's horribly balanced and badly built for the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours of the body nicely I suppose. Adequately carbonated. Thick enough but not quite ideal. It dries on the finish due to the lees, which is pretty nasty.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - perhaps its best trait. It was nowhere near as good as expected, and I wouldn't have it again unless a friend recommended it and it had a few years on it. The malts make it feel like a base for a better beer. A bastardization of barleywines as a style. Incredibly disappointing.

Overpriced, at least in the U.S.A.

I'll try the cask aged versions in the hope that they're better than this. I don't recommend this for aging or food pairing. A poor example of the style.

D

1.29/5  rDev -69.6%

9.3oz bottle into tulip snifter.
2010 vintage.

Pours a red orange with a ton of large pieces of yeast sediment floating throughout and a thin off white head.

The aroma is quite malty. Very doughy and biscuity upfront, with some caramel as well.

Something has to be wrong with this beer. Tastes like an ashtray mixed with some bread dough and caramel malt.

Medium-thin mouthfeel with no carbonation.

Absolute drain pour, I have to think there was something seriously wrong with this bottle.

4.58/5  rDev +7.8%

This was a 275 mL bottle aging since 1999, opened 25 Feb 2012.

Appearance: Brown murky body with bubbles dancing up to a small white lacey head that clings to the glass.

Nose: Fresh bread and grains, caramel, sweet golden raisins and grapes

Taste: Very malty, caramel, toffee, and hazelnut flavors are very present giving way to hints of light fruits like the raisins in the nose. It's very complex in the middle body, fading into a burnt malt taste with just the slightest well balanced smoke and a warming alcohol finish, the finish is excellent.

Mouthfeel: Velvetty and flowing with perfect hints of carbonation, still present after this long, and a slightly bitter finish... this body is simply exquisite in itself not to mention the fact that its 13 years old, very impressive.

Overall: An excellent aged English barley wine, a rare treat that should be enjoyed. I was planning to do a vertical from 1999 to 2011 but now think the beers should be enjoyed in smaller groups over longer periods of time. This is truly excellent.

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

On-cask 2/17/2012 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep coppery brown color with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass which is expected from a cask beer.

S: The aroma contains brown sugar, bourbon, caramelized malts, alcohol and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a burnt malt flavor followed by sweet flavors of caramel, brown sugar and bourbon. The hops presence is mild but complementary and the malt character is hearty but there isn’t much balance. The after-taste is slightly smoky and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, very strong kick, good representation of style, I can appreciate the smokiness and aging of the beer but the flavors just didn’t seem to come together well for me. There are several less-expensive alternatives in the style that I enjoy a lot more.

4.42/5  rDev +4%

2002 Vintage

Pours a murky amber, brown with almost no head, just a slight ring of tan.

Smells of sweetness, toffee, port wine, booze, earthy/leaf character, some oxidized cherry/sherry notes.

Taste is sweet caramel like malt that goes into a plum/sherry/honey middle and ends on an earthy sweet note that lasts and lasts. The alcohol warms right at the end and is nice lingering. Reminds me of a malty/tawny port in the best ways. Big, heavy, and thick. Pushing the line beyond beer.

Heavy body due to the residual sweetness and alcohol and veryyy little carbonation. Works like a charm.

I'd have to do a vertical to get more perspective, but this is fantastic. Like a fine porto.

4.14/5  rDev -2.6%

275 mL bottle, brewed in 2010

A: Pours a murky brown color with an abundance of yeasty sediment chunks

S: Very doughy and sweet with notes of dark fruits and molasses

T: Follows the nose with a candy sweetness. Chock full of malty sweetness, dark fruits, molasses, and some alcohol. Also getting an odd green pepper taste in there, possibly from the alcohol as well

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: I certainly had higher expectations for this, but that odd green pepper taste really threw things off for me. I'll definitely have to grab another bottle and see if it is consistent throughout batches or just this bottle

J.W. Lees Vintage Harvest Ale from J.W. Lees & Co (Brewers) Ltd