Titanic Strong Ale - Outer Banks Brewing Station

Beer added by: Fish113d on 09-15-2007

Reviews by Fish113d:
4.11/5  rDev n/a
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a tap into a 9 oz brandy sniffer.

Pours ruby in color with a slight bubbly, white, edge-layer. Almost opaque to look at, and not much else going on.

The aroma reminds me of fall apples right away, along with a touch of brown sugar and a bit of spice (nutmeg maybe) probably from the yeast- it has my attention!

Sipping reveals a bit of vanilla and oak up front on my palate along with a sweet cherry flavor that suprises me. Flavor is good, but a bit of alcohol burn kills some flavor. The after-taste reminds me of strawberry twizzlers, which I find very interesting; and I like them!

A bit of alcohol burn on the tip of my tongue right away with some dryness. Full-bodied. Alcohol burn...that sums it up.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but you must be very careful with it. For 10.2% it seems much higher. I think it could have been crafted just a bit better to kill some of that and let the flavors come through a bit mroe, but that's just my opinion. (974 characters)

3.77/5  rDev n/a

From my limited notes when at the Outer Banks this past summer.

Pours into a 9oz snifter, color is a dark ruby with fizzy head, kind of reminds me of cola in a way.

Smell is very aromatic, similar to a Belgian ale, strong malt presence with a spice kick to it and some dark fruitiness.

Taste is what the name hints at, strong. While quite sweet in the candied way, the alcohol is able to shine through and warms the mouth and distracts, decent carbonation level (a tad much). (478 characters)

3.79/5  rDev n/a

On-tap at the brewery in a 9 oz. snifter - brewed with crystal malts, Belgian candi sugar, Galena and Glacier hops, and fermented with Trappist yeast. It arrives a clear deep crimson, with a thin, khaki head that reduces to nothing by the end. Smells sweet, fruity, and Belgian, with notes of red apples, berries and chocolate. Tastes much the same, with the addition of melon, perfumy/spicy and piney hops, a medium bitterness and a dash of alcohol on top of a thick body that has medium carbonation and finish. Overall a fairly nice stab at a Belgian that makes for a good digestif. (584 characters)

Titanic Strong Ale from Outer Banks Brewing Station
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.