Horny Goat Watermelon Wheat - Horny Goat Brewing Co.

Horny Goat Watermelon WheatHorny Goat Watermelon Wheat

Beer added by: BDIMike on 07-04-2012

Ratings: 151 | Reviews: 25
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz can poured hazy copper-amber with a sizable bubbly head.

Light body with mid - high carbonation.

Mild but appealing aroma is bready with a hint of fruit.

Little flavor; mostly simple light baked grain but some watermelon too.

O: No serious flaws but still a disappointing, overly mild wheat beer.

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

(Served in a flute)
A- This beer pours a hazy hint of the lemon yellow body with a thin snow white film supported by a sluggish big carbonation.

S- The clean aroma has a light corn chip hint as it warms.

T- The clean light lagered field corn note leads to a green biter note that lingers. There is a watermelon rind hint that leads to a jolly rancher flavor comes through in the finish.

M- The light mouthfeel has a crisp little fizz in the finish.

O- This beer has an interesting watermelon note but it is a bit harsh in the bitterness in the finish without other flavors to support or cut it.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Eh, not bad, but the watermelon flavor was almost non existent. A much better representation of this type of beer would be 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon.

Wouldn't seek out or purchase again.

3.38/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present, perhaps some sort of code on the bottleneck. My second beer from Horny Goat Brewing Co., and my first encounter with a watermelon beer. My bottle lists a 5.60% abv.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - It pours a hazed orange colored body, not unlike that of an IPA or a pale ale. About a finger of frothy white head that recedes fairly quick. Some okay spotty lacing.

S - The smell is hardly comprised of anything at all - some clean cut wheat, grass, & grains and a mild fruity berry sort of presence,

T - Taste follows the nose - there is a noticeable fruity / vegetal sort of presence, but nothing that distinctly screams watermelon, but I'm guessing it isn't the easiest flavor to impart in a beer in the first place. Wheaty, grainy, grassy, with some berry-like fruitiness present. Mild yeast presence is noted.

M - The feel is crisp and clean. Semi-dry & grainy finish. Medium bodied with good adequate carbonation. Easy drinking stuff.

Overall, an interesting first attempt at trying a watermelon beer, but I could see bigger and better craft breweries like Pipeworks taking things a step or three further than this. A drinkable effort, but probably not something I'd go for again.

Horny Goat Watermelon Wheat ---3.5/5

3.94/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great for what it was meant to be.....a summer beer.

3.65/5  rDev +17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Hazy light honey color. Foamy white head leaves a good film, great lacing.

Aroma: Subdued, wheat, grains, not much watermelon.

Taste: Subdued fruity watermelon coats over a really good wheat body. Really solid wheat, floury grains. Tang and more watermelon in the finish but not overdone.

Mouthfeel: Medoum bodied.

Overall: Nice effort here because the melon is used perfectly.

3.31/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a clear medium golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising fairly quickly from the bottom of the glass and some faint lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall sudsy foamy white head that slowly reduces to a medium sized patch of medium thick film surrounded by a large patch of very thin film covering the majority of the remainder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light aromas of watermelon over the top of light aromas of wheat and grainy/vegetal malts.

T: Upfront there is a light flavor of cereal grain malts and wheat along with just a hint of grassy hops. That is followed by a light flavor of watermelon with very little amounts of sweetness. Overall there is a light amount of bitterness in the finish which fades slowly.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Initially this beer is quite crisp but overall it is slightly thin.

O: I enjoy a watermelon beer that does not have an overpowering watermelon jolly rancher type flavor but this one was just a little too subtle for me (and I used to drink a lot of fresh watermelon juice when visiting India for work) as I wish the watermelon came through a touch more. Easy to drink and refreshing.

4.37/5  rDev +40.1%

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer in support of The CANQuest ™. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by!

From the CAN: "Beer Brewed with Watermelon Juice"; “Carefully Crafted Famously Fun.”; “Drink Responsibly”; “Watermelon Wheat is an unbelievably refreshing and great tasting summer brew. The backbone of this beer is heavy on the wheat with just a touch of Vienna malt for complexity, while German hops balance the fruit perfectly.” Great graphics, also, with the Goat and his equally Horny Ewe on the beach, raising a toast while having a good time.

I had a good time when I heard the Crack! and looked in to see a brimful CAN. I celebrated my elation with an inverted Glug which resulted in two brief fingers of French Vanilla-colored head that quickly fell to wisps. Color was solid Gold (SRM = 5) with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see into the future. Beer is in my future, apparently. I invited my new friends, Mammon, Midas and Croesus for some, but they declined, saying that watermelons and goats just are not their bag. I understand CANpletely! Nose was light on the watermelon and I believe them when they said “Beer Brewed with Watermelon Juice”. It was not over the top, cloying or CANdy-like, all of which are the results of artificial flavoring. Mouthfeel was medium. Going back to what I was saying before, this had a nicely understated watermelon flavor. I agree that the grassiness of their hops was a nice CANpliment and the wheat and malt kept it all in check. Finish was semi-dry, not really all that sweet, as I have been alluding to all along. It was a bit high at 5.6% to be sessionable, but I would definitely put some in the Summer cooler for people who don’t dig my first choice of AIPAs.

My original, initial bottle review follows:

I found this Goat hanging out in the cooler at The Friendly Greek yesterday and I figured that he and his Old Lady could help me to beat the heat. I love the label with the Horny Goat hanging out with his Horny Ewe in a watermelon hot tub! Rock on, you two!

From the bottle: "Craft Brewed In Wisconsin"; "Beer Brewed with Watermelon Juice".

My initial pour created a two-finger pillow of fluffy, bone-white head with decent retention. Nose had a light scent of watermelon, which was nice, because I have had these types of beers where the watermelon was overpowering. I remember my babysitter neighbor and her friend once doused each other with watermelon perfume before spending the night with my brother and I. Gag-O-Rama! Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden-yellow and only King Midas showed any interest. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was just right - watermelon, yes, but not cloying or overpowering. It tasted like real watermelon, not something mimicking the flavor that came from a laboratory test tube. Finish was semi-dry and the watermelon taste just kind of lingered, a pleasant reminder of summer days gone by.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance is a cloudy light pink color with a small head
Aroma is faint grain and watermelon. Has a watered down smell.
Taste is the same. You get the watermelon but its in the background.
It tastes like drinking watered down watermelon juice.
Mouthfeel is medium with no great lingering flavors.
Not complex, not even really that good but I'm glad I tried it.

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

Very bubbly, a bit of foam. Not tasting the watermelon at all and a little almost bitter for my taste

Can had July 4 2015. Maybe a little sweet but great poolside beer

2.89/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Pours a near straw color with a 1 finger off white head that quickly fizzles out. Some soapy lacing, but nothing special to speak of.

S- Grain/wheat malt. Sweet honeydew and watermelon in the finish. The watermelon character doesn't do much to spark my interest.

T- Seems to start off just tasting like run of the mill average wheat beer with sweet malt dominating the flavors, but then a subtle does of melon flavor comes to pass. Slightly bitter finish.

M- Probably the highlight of the beer. Drinkable, light body and refreshing. Carbonation and consistency that I look for in a fruit style ale.

O- Nothing real spectacular here, but not all that bad. I have certainly had better fruit beers, but it was worth a shot.

4.1/5  rDev +31.4%

Boom! this is a great Watermelon beer! just like Hell or High Watermelon I really enjoy this. Slight watermelon taste compliments the wheat beer. A good summer brew to share with friends. I enjoyed this and would buy again as you can drink one after another.

Bottom Line: Good!

3.63/5  rDev +16.3%

I saw this can in a singles cooler and I COULD NOT RESIST. That led to a whole six pack of different brews and I was getting short on the ones I hadn't reviewed yet, so that was a good thing.

Appearance (4) : This beer pours a frothy, fluffy 3 fingered head, stark white in appearance. The body is a slightly hazy but mostly clear honey blonde color. Head retention is good with about 2 fingers remaining after the first minute.

Aroma (4.25) : This reminds me of some of the beers I got from the west coast. Truly a nice craft smell with some light and airy qualities. Sour, puckery hops, strawberry wheat, some honey, and fruit zest. I don't smell the watermelon, except for possibly a watermelon rind faintly. This truly is a beauty to smell. Bouquet is medium strength.

Taste (3.5) : Borders on the pale ale side of things, with a strong hop presence, and just the faintest hint of watery watermelon crispness on the finish. Within the body there's wheat, honey, and some sour sort of pucker, perhaps that's what they meant by "watermelon". If I had one gripe, I would tone down the hops a few notches.

Mouthfeel (3.75) : Creamy, lightly distorted, semi-dry with a hopped and ever so slightly sweet finish.

Overall (3.63) : I was expecting more from this. Hop heads, you'll enjoy this. I thought there was a bit too much hop and I was expecting a more malty wheat with a stronger watermelon presence. Not a cheer beer, mind you, but just something fruity and wheaty and well...I guess you can't have everything. It's good in its own right, but heavily hopped in my opinion.

2.89/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a hazy, golden color. One inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, sugar, and slight hops. Fits the style of an American Pale Wheat Ale. Mouth feel smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of watermelon jolly rancher (not actual watermelon flavor at all), sugar, hint of hops, slight sweet malt, and a hint of wheat. Overall, artificial flavor and no watermelon in the aroma creates a subpar offering.

3.31/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Horny Goat Watermelon Wheat

Pours a peach hued copper with a fizzy white froth that leaves quickly. Aroma of sweet grains and a hint of watermelon, or at least fruit. In the taste, grainy and lightly malty upfront gives way to a definite watermelon note that follows to the finish. The watermelon flavor reminds me of slightly unripe melon. Light to medium bodied, well carbonated yet watery feel. Overall an ambitious beer, that succeeds at its ultimate goal. In the increasingly popular fruit beer genre, this is one of the better watermelon ales I've had to date.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

So, what flavor is more identifiable with summer than watermelon? The answer; likely none. So why are brewers so slow to come about a "watermelon beer" where the fruit and ambition is seemingly everywhere? It takes the wily brewers of Horney Goat to showcase the finesse of the fruit but in ale form.

With no hint of watermelon to its appearance, the American pale wheat beer carries a light haze into its pale straw hue. But once the nose draws near... there it is- watermelon! True in its natural form, that succulent aroma invites the first taste in rapid succession. Sweetened with grain, wheat and and mild toast; notions of light bread, savory toast and fresh-kilned grain gives a cereal taste early on.

As the watermelon simmers beneath, the middle palate opens with a mild lemony tang to complement the toasty, bready center. Where the flavor of the distinctive melon is present, it does so without the associated sweetness of the fruit to render it more natural in taste and less candied.

Crisp and grainy, the ale thoroughly quenches the thirst with its medium-light body that trends drier and more refreshing as it nears finish. Its playful acidity keeps the palate refreshed beyond that of its light grain astringency and tepid hop bite. But once the memory of the taste has passed, another wave of whole-grain wheat and watermelon come rushing back to reward the palate one last time in a charming afterglow.

Where the watermelon fruit is rarely considered seductive, it turns out that the palate is smitten by the melon taste of this beer. The bottom of this glass came way too soon!

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass

A-Vaguely Cloudy, very light copper color. Even with a swirl at the bottom of the bottle the white billowy head dissipated quickly. Lacing is present, but fades.

S- Smells like a barely sweet wheat beer, not a lot of fruit, as I was expecting.

T- Hits quickly with a bitter wheat beer taste, then subsides with an almost sour taste at the end. For a brief moment between the initial and final tastes, there's a Jolly Rancher taste, somewhat sweet and somewhat sour.

MF- Thicker than I was expecting from the color. The carbonation is tight bubbles aplenty.

Overall, this is a nice beer. I was expecting something a little too sweet, but I could see myself sessioning a few of these on a hot day. I would like to have another of these sometime soon.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

This pours a semi-clear, golden yellow color with a thick, foamy white head. The aroma is mild with hints of grain and malt but no real trace of watermelon. The taste is smooth and lightly fruity. This delivers a good, refreshing light summer taste that is very drinkable. Nothing complex or unique here, just an easy drinking summer brew.

4.09/5  rDev +31.1%

12 oz.

Pours a light hazy gold, over an inch of white fluffy head dissipates slowly.

Smells of grassy barley malts with a light citrus and mild semi-sweet fruitiness.

Tastes of mild grassy malts, light citrus, and a melon sweetness. A little white grape as well.

Light to medium body with a soft carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

A nice light session-candidate wheat ale, great summer beer, goes down easy, good flavor balance, surprisingly good body. Unless you object to the melon element, this is hard to knock. Not a superstar beer, but well worth trying.

3.83/5  rDev +22.8%

Pours a golden straw color. A good amount of carbonation creates a thin white head that laces throughout the drink.
Aroma is very clean. A nice crisp wheat smell with nice malt backbone.
Taste is very nicely balanced. A good malt and straw wheat base. The watermelon hints come in at the end. They are very undertoned, which is great for someone who isn't a huge fruit beer guy (me).
Mouthfeel is good. A nice amount of thickness and smoothness. Not as crisp as the usual refreshing summer beer.
Drinkability is very good on this beer. A very nice balance and dry finish leaves the palate wanting another sip. Very good beer to complement the summer season.

3.2/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - The beer was a nice golden straw color with a fluffy white head.

Smell - I actually thought this beer had a pleasant aroma. I got honey out of the aroma more than anything, so the aroma was a little deceiving.

Taste - On the initial taste, I noted candy watermelon. The watermelon notes were far from realistic. This might suggest some type of extract. In the broader picture, I might suggest this beer tastes like a mouth full of watermelon Jolly Ranchers and grass. The sweetness fades in the aftertaste to become more typical of a wheat beer.

Mouthfeel - It tastes like a wheat, but really does not have any thickness. I would go so far as to suggest it to be slightly watery.

Overall - I still have not found a watermelon wheat that I really like.

3.48/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

not a lot of watermelon beers out there, and even less good ones. while this isnt astounding, its pretty cool. clear, which surprises me, looks nice from the can with an inch of white head, but it only lasts a minute. color darker than expected for a basic wheat base (or so i thought). the nose here is off a little, more rind than watermelon flesh, the can says it was made with the juice of the watermelon, but it doesnt come through in the nose. some honey does though, not sure where that comes from, but it smells like honey queen from sam adams. the nose instead is a sweet weirdly almost composting fruitiness, i definitely get the wheat too. the flavor is better, with the watermelon being there all the way though, not just in the finish, and not too much, its just an accent flavor. problem is, the base beer isnt all that compelling to me. clean and brightly carbonated though, and it feels pretty satisfying as a summer drink if you like the flavor. i dont love it, but i dont hate it either.

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

I bought this simply for the Horny Goat brewery name, and because my girlfriend likes fruity beers. Turns out she hates watermelon, so it fell on me to drink.

Poured a golden, almost greenish, color with a thin head. Smelled a little funky (doubt that's what it was going for), tasted a little funky too. Bland fruity taste. Would not buy again.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pale yellow-orange/light gold. Some yeasty haze. Laces wonderfully from a fluffy white crown of an inch plus.

Crispy and fresh notes of watermelon rind, pale wheat malts, and creamy yeast. Bright and semi-sweet. One note, but refreshing fruitiness.

Less crisp, but complete with the element of fruit, wheat malts, and hops. Light watermelon that turns from tart to sweeter from start to finish. Decent malty tone with soft wheatiness, but still dry. Seemingly drier with a mild hop bitterness with a hint of spiciness. Perhaps light pine. Much more interesting, if not, still tasty.

Opens with bubbly carbonation that peters out toward the finish. Still burpy. Body is light.

A decent little fruit ale. Best Horny Goat beer I've had thus far.

Horny Goat Watermelon Wheat from Horny Goat Brewing Co.