Horny Goat Brownie Porter - Horny Goat Brewing Co.

Horny Goat Brownie PorterHorny Goat Brownie Porter

Horny Goat Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: thecheapies on 11-25-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 23
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Horny Goat Brownie has a medium, cream-colored head, a dark, ruby-brown appearance, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of dark, rich, bread crust, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate. Taste is of those elements, with some pleasant yeast sourness. Mouthfeel is medium, and Horny Goat Brownie finishes on the sweet and wet side, with high drinkability.

RJT

3.19/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark reddish brown with thin head. Smells earthy and light chocolate. Although I can taste a little brownie from the chocolate maltiness, it is ruined by the light body and kind of a cheap cider taste. Light body, sweet malt aftertaste with slight cider flavor. Not worth a repeat drinking.

3.21/5  rDev +0.9%

Reading the description of the beer, I thought I was in for a treat.
"Ale Brewed with Brown Sugar and cinnamon & with vanilla and cacao nibs added".
I did not pick up any of the flavors in the description. Don't get me wrong, it is an easy drinking, smooth beer, but still a big let down. I will not be purcashing again.

3.64/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I am in the kitchen at Chez Woody, hanging out with m'main man, Horny Goat, telling him how much I dug his limited release Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter and he gets this big grin. He then gets on the horn, literally, with his Old Lady, this hot-looking blonde ewe with a great pair of udders, and tells her to bring over something special. She shows up with her "special" Brownie Porter, which she swears only has "love" as its secret ingredient. Man, I hope so, 'cause I gotta check-in with my P.O. next week and I can't be hot, dig?

From the bottle: "Craft Brewed in Wisconsin"; "Ale Brewed with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon with Vanilla and Cacao Nibs added".

I relaxed a little when I saw that the ingredients did not include anything untoward. Nor was I surprised that this came from Wisconsin, which is not known as "America's Dairyland" for nothing. Man, they got some real honey-honey milkmaids in that state, I'm tellin' ya!

I let the ewe pour for us and it turns out that she doesn't have any compunction about giving head! My glass contained a big, foamy finger of light-tan head that just sat there, defying me to do something, anything. I was making small talk with her since the Goat didn't like that we were so friendly all of a sudden. Glancing over, it settled into a light-brown color (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Man, the nose was heavy on the vanilla and she told me that she likes to dab some behind each ear in lieu of perfume. No wonder the Goat is Horny! Man, I'd be in rut all the time if my Old Lady acted like that. Mouthfeel was big and full, not creamy, likesay, but effervescent. The flavor was cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, but I could not discern the brown sugar, although it was plenty sweet. I suggested molasses to cut some of the sweetness and she agreed to give it a try in a future batch. The finish was somewhere between semi-sweet and semi-dry, but it was nowhere near as sweet as I was expecting. The cinnamon was not only an inspired touch, but it really cut some of the inherent sweetness of the other ingredients. I waved as the Goat and his ewe rode off on their hog and then some other magic started in on me. Oh man, I wonder if I can reschedule that meeting ...

3.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark brown with a tan head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of roasted dark malt, vanilla, cocoa powder and a subtle hint of cinnamon.

The taste is of sweet dark malt, vague dark fruitiness. There is a hint of vanilla bean with some brown sugar. Cinnamon comes through in the aftertaste and lingers. Spicy finish with a bit of roast.

It's thin, but just above watery. Pretty smooth.

The flavors don't mesh together as well as they could. Still in all, it's not bad. Other than a hint of roast, leans more towards a spiced brown ale. Cinnamon is a bit much in the aftertaste. It's "different".

2.87/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz. bottle-no exp. date- into a standard pint glass.
Cloudy amber in color, with a nice head of light tan foam.
Aroma-Faint toasted malt.
Taste-Flavors seem watered-down. Faint cinnamon and vanilla notes, muddled and unbalanced. Seems more like a brown ale than a porter.

3.42/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is a dark brown with ruby edges. There is a half finger of head that enjoyed some decent retention. The nose is nutty, but also oddly tart. The same tartiness is present in the flavor profile. The flavor profile is not very roasty – I can understand why some might classify this as a brown ale rather than a porter. The finish has caramel notes and may be the most enjoyable part of the tasting experience.

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of chocolate, some notes of vanilla. Taste is chocolate, cinnamon, some vanilla, unique and pretty tasty. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a different and solid beer.

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Dark chocolate color. Tan head, foamy and slow to recede. Light lacing.

Aroma: String cinnamon and ginger element, toasty malts.

Taste: Very rich on taste. Starts with strong cinnamon and ginger spices then solely was into a chocolate fudge finish.

Mouthfeel: Nedium body, nice weight to it.

Overall: A bit too much of a holiday spices taste about it. Not bad though.

1.18/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This is a cinnamon flavored beer and it's like mulled wine for those who like real wine--horrible. But even if you like a porter, this beer has no real body or depth of flavor like a decent porter (never mind a good one, or an imperial brew). The pour is fine at first, a decent dense head, but with a light brown color. You know before you taste this will not be rich or complex. Then the hit of cinnamon, which kills the other flavors for me. The mouthfeel is watery, the carbonation closer to soda than beer. One of the worst drinking experiences I've ever had!

2.39/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass. A semi-aggressive bottle pour resulted in about a 1/4" thin beige head that quickly reduced to a thin ring. Darker amber lager in color, similar to a lager or fall season beer. Minimal lacing barely makes an effort to cling to the sides of my glass.

S: Aroma is a sweet medicinal cinnamon. I really don't get much else and believe me I tried several deep inhales. I'm not sure how cinnamon ends up so prominent in a Brownie Porter, but it does.

Taste: There it is again, cinnamon clearly dominates. Sweet, but astringent flavor follows in stride. This is definitely no porter that I've ever experienced. I get no chocolate "brownie" taste at all. I was totally fooled by the beer name. This is no porter.

M: Lively carbonation is this beer's only positive.

O: This beer came in a sampler 12-pack. If I'm being honest, I can't see myself ever buying a 12-pack from this brewery again. None of the beers "wowed" me, and as a matter of fact I found myself really disappointed. The brewery name grabs your attention, but definitely not the beer itself.

2.35/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

Brewed with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and cacoa nibs.

A: Cinnamon stick orange pour appears ruby red in the vessel. A healthy 2 inch frothy, whipped beige head is fairly strong as was the carbonation factor. Head coverage was mostly lasting, the lacing was a bit weak and sparse. Doesn't really strike me as a porter brown coloring either way from the bottle or in the glass.

S: Brown sugar is very evident for aroma, sweet, sugary, along with some strong cinnamon turning to a faint sweet chocolate. Actually smells like cinnamon toast crunch cereal, sugary, not so much brownie. Dry chocolate fade.

T: Flavor was dry, a bit powdery chocolate, the cacao nibs get involved. The cinnamon again is at the forefront with toasted dry grains, Again cinnamon toast crunch cereal flavor comes to mind with a dry cacao nib fade. There seems like an almost faint chili pepper soft heat coming about along with some sour malt.

M: Frothy mouthful turns washy, sour malt as it sits on the tongue along with a lack of carbonation. Not pleasant to hold on to for any length of time.

O: Overall sweet, sugary, gimmicky, and doessn't remind me any bit of a porter let alone a brownie. Cinnamon toast crunch with some dry french toast mixed with some cocoa nibs best describes this missed attempt. Flavor doesnt translate well. Label says porter, BA lists it as a brown, i say pass either way. unimpressed.

2.99/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours like cream soda. Very strong carbonation, and decent lacing. No foam retention is noted. Very clear look.

S - At first there was no scent of anything of note. As the beer warmed some smoky notes and roasty cocoa hit the nose.

T - Hmmm... This one is at best a gateway craft. There is some notes of chocolate and caramel, but the majority of the flavor seems artificial.

M - On one hand the beer is sessionable. But the high carbonation and slight aftertaste would make you wonder why you would want another. Mixed bag, and likely not a good choice for a diehard craft drinker.

O - I'm giving this an extra strike for falsely throwing the word "porter" on the label. Its clearly a brown ale, and not a good one at that.

1.73/5  rDev -45.6%

A- poured a oak brown color with 1finger foam. Minimum lacing.

S- heavy cinnamon and brown sugar. Smell reminded me of roasted cinnamon nuts at Christmas. Not getting any sort of brownie scent at all. No chocolate or coffee scents at all.

T- first note was cinnamon. Very heavy on the cinnamon (too heavy for me.). Very sweet. No traditional porter flavors at all. A harsh artificial taste is there as well. Like a bad diet cookie.

M- medium with a very short finish

O- honestly, one of the most unpleasant beers I 've had in a long time. The artificial note on the end is not appetizing at all.

3.05/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Special? Anyway, this stuff pours a clear sunset amber topped by a finger of glowing khaki foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, cocoa, vanilla bean, and a kiss of nutmeg. The taste generally brings in more of the same, but replete with a general graininess/wheatiness that threatens to drown out nearly all else, though a few sprinkles of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cocoa powder occasionally appear. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, a weak porter and a sad excuse for a brownie-flavored anything. Quite the letdown.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

I was hoping for more from this beer....unfortunately my high expectations werenot met. Kudos to the person that defined this beer as a brown and not a porter. The beer poured a clear deep rich brown with thin slightly off white head that is leaving some lacing. The smell is filled with breaded malts with hints of cinnamon. The cinnamon dominates the taste and I'm not picking up alot of chocolate or brownie. Define base of bread/yeast malt present. The mouthfeel is kind of lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall the beer is ok...not a huge fan of cinnamon....I have definitely had better browns than this.

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Cool 12oz twist-off sent as an extra (thanks Aaron!) poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint...

A: Looks more like an amber than a brown ale or porter IMO...transparent gold and dark mahogany...quickly dissipating off-tannish head with almost no lace.

S: Cinnamon and malt upfront, big-time bready quality from that malt...brown sugar sweetness competes with those aromas, and the spices do make it smell semi-dessert-ish? Maybe some hints of vanilla as well.

T: More of the same here, dessert baking spices and vanilla essence. Dominant malt presence with some flavors of caramel, brown sugar and faint cocoa.

MF: Cream medium body with lighter carbonation, no complaints here for the way the beer is pulled together.

O: Not too much bitterness but not overtly sweet either. Its good but not quite the 'brownie' I was hoping it would be.

3.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a deep amber color it is a bit light in color for a porter but it is topped with ½” of tan colored head that dissipates quickly.
Smell: Brownie smells of a good malt base and hints of cinnamon and chocolate not much but small hints.
Taste: Wow this is better than I was hoping it has hints of cinnamon vanilla and chocolate, with a sweetness that I am guessing comes from the brown sugar. It has a good malt base under to support the flavors.
Mouthfeel: This is a rather thin bodied porter while the flavor lived up to my hopes the rest of the beer was rather disappointing. Too bad I was hoping it was better.

2.85/5  rDev -10.4%

Do I review this as a porter or brown ale? Oh well.

The bottle states: "ale brewed with brown sugar and cinnamon and with vanilla and cacao nibs added."

Medium bronze/amber color with a quick head, ice ring o' foam, and tiny sluggish bubbles. Doesn't look like a porter to me.

Malty, medium roasted bread crust with a hint of cocoa powder and maybe some spices. Pretty light aroma profile overall.

Very light roasted malt flavors. The toasted malt flavors aren't bad. Notes of bread crust, some cocoa powder, a little vanilla, and perhaps cinnamon. The palate is light and watery. Easy to drink, but a little misleading I guess.

Glad I tried this beer, but did not my expectations.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz twist off bottle poured into a nonic.
5.6% ABV, no date.

A - Horny Goat calls this beer a porter, but it looks far from it as it pours a moderately deep amber color that's totally clear and topped with a fleeting off white head. Lace sticks to the glass though which scores Brownie some brownie points.

S - Spiced lightly with cinnamon and vanilla bean tannins, this incredibly light porter has notes of chocolate, dry cocoa, and mocha with a faintly roasted malt nose. It does in fact have resemblance to a brownie.

T - I've never known anyone to use cinnamon in their brownies to spice them so it would come as a surprise to drink a beer which is supposed to mimic the food, loaded with cinnamon spice flavor. Brownie starts like a powerful pumpkin ale that shifts to vanilla bean and cocoa with hints of roasted malt and caramel sweetness on the finish.

M - Roll this beer around in your mouth and you'll notice yet another thing off about it's "Porter" description; heavy carbonation dancing around. It livens up an already medium-light body that finishes dry with spice and cocoa while lingering sweetness pans out.

O - In the grand scheme of beers Horny Goat's Brownie isn't bad. In fact, it's one of the brewery's best beers, but to try and pass this off as a porter is not justifiable. It's lacking the color, malt - particularly roasted malt, and body for such a beer. If that we're in place it would knock some of the more outrageous attributes back in to place where they would compliment said beer much more suitably.

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

12oz tap poured at Horny Goat Hideaway in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Appearance- Brown in color with a finger of white head that dissipates semi quick.

Smell- Lots of sweet sugary smells

Taste- Wow, tons of cinnamon! Think cinnamon and suguar toast.

Mouthfeel- Very light for a porter as tyey have called it. Drinks more like a brown ale.

Overall- Very interesting tasty beer. Unique in the fact that it has such a cinnamon flavor.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up at Gary's in Wayne this past weekend, having never had any Horny Goat beers before. This intrigued me a bit because I expected a dark, thick porter with the mouthfeel of a brownie that would have me giggling and hungry but sure enough, the novelty was along the line of the Magic Hat beers. While I didn't spit this out or pour it down the drain, there wasn't any doubt that this was a letdown and seemingly categorized incorrectly.

The pour to this was a clear, dark copper hue with some head and almost no lacing to be seen. The aroma was of a cream soda with brown sugar mixed in for good measure. Hardly any sign of the vanilla and cinnamon mentioned on the bottle and none of the cacao nibs seemed to have made it into the beer itself. I don't see how anything clear can take on the characteristics of a Porter and the mouthfeel was too creamy and frothy without feeling roasted and thick. Little carbonation and only a hint of burnt caramel and licorice in the back gave me the impression that this was a Brown Ale.

This wasn't too strong in the alcohol department and I could hardly taste it. It wasn't that this beer wasn't enjoyable but I just think that the label needs to change to reflect what's inside of the bottle. By itself, this would be relatively cheap choice for a late fall night such as the ones we've had lately.

2.09/5  rDev -34.3%

Horny Goat Brownie Porter.

Looks way too light! Like an amber cider with sparkling carbonation and no head.

Coppery malts that barely conjure up an ale. Some honey, some cocoa, barely any hops.

Cringing metallic notes and bitter toast. Hardly any chocolate to note. More implied honey in the sweetness. Tastes like a poor Marzen with heavy toast and bitterness. Very attenuated. The feel is also notably awful. Tough to get through with this watery cream soda feel. Almost resonates that way in the flavor.

Impossible name and an extreme disappointment. A misnomer to the max. Avoid.

to view more.
Horny Goat Brownie Porter from Horny Goat Brewing Co.