Horny Goat Brownie Porter - Horny Goat Brewing Co.

Horny Goat Brownie PorterHorny Goat Brownie Porter

Horny Goat Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: thecheapies on 11-25-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 95 | Reviews: 23

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Horny Goat Brownie has a medium, cream-colored head, a dark, ruby-brown appearance, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of dark, rich, bread crust, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, and chocolate. Taste is of those elements, with some pleasant yeast sourness. Mouthfeel is medium, and Horny Goat Brownie finishes on the sweet and wet side, with high drinkability.

RJT

3.11/5  rDev -2.2%

3.54/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.19/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark reddish brown with thin head. Smells earthy and light chocolate. Although I can taste a little brownie from the chocolate maltiness, it is ruined by the light body and kind of a cheap cider taste. Light body, sweet malt aftertaste with slight cider flavor. Not worth a repeat drinking.

2.73/5  rDev -14.2%

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.98/5  rDev -6.3%

3.27/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.21/5  rDev +0.9%

Reading the description of the beer, I thought I was in for a treat.
"Ale Brewed with Brown Sugar and cinnamon & with vanilla and cacao nibs added".
I did not pick up any of the flavors in the description. Don't get me wrong, it is an easy drinking, smooth beer, but still a big let down. I will not be purcashing again.

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%

3.64/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I am in the kitchen at Chez Woody, hanging out with m'main man, Horny Goat, telling him how much I dug his limited release Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter and he gets this big grin. He then gets on the horn, literally, with his Old Lady, this hot-looking blonde ewe with a great pair of udders, and tells her to bring over something special. She shows up with her "special" Brownie Porter, which she swears only has "love" as its secret ingredient. Man, I hope so, 'cause I gotta check-in with my P.O. next week and I can't be hot, dig?

From the bottle: "Craft Brewed in Wisconsin"; "Ale Brewed with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon with Vanilla and Cacao Nibs added".

I relaxed a little when I saw that the ingredients did not include anything untoward. Nor was I surprised that this came from Wisconsin, which is not known as "America's Dairyland" for nothing. Man, they got some real honey-honey milkmaids in that state, I'm tellin' ya!

I let the ewe pour for us and it turns out that she doesn't have any compunction about giving head! My glass contained a big, foamy finger of light-tan head that just sat there, defying me to do something, anything. I was making small talk with her since the Goat didn't like that we were so friendly all of a sudden. Glancing over, it settled into a light-brown color (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Man, the nose was heavy on the vanilla and she told me that she likes to dab some behind each ear in lieu of perfume. No wonder the Goat is Horny! Man, I'd be in rut all the time if my Old Lady acted like that. Mouthfeel was big and full, not creamy, likesay, but effervescent. The flavor was cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon, but I could not discern the brown sugar, although it was plenty sweet. I suggested molasses to cut some of the sweetness and she agreed to give it a try in a future batch. The finish was somewhere between semi-sweet and semi-dry, but it was nowhere near as sweet as I was expecting. The cinnamon was not only an inspired touch, but it really cut some of the inherent sweetness of the other ingredients. I waved as the Goat and his ewe rode off on their hog and then some other magic started in on me. Oh man, I wonder if I can reschedule that meeting ...

3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Horny Goat Brownie Porter from Horny Goat Brewing Co.