Microbrew Invitational

YOUR RATING = None |

(512) Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American IPA

(512) India Pale Ale is a big, aggressively dry-hopped American IPA with smooth bitterness (~65 IBU) balanced by medium maltiness. Organic 2-row malted barley, loads of hops, and great Austin water create an ale with apricot and vanilla aromatics that lure you in for more.

Added by wagenvolks on 07-04-2008

Reviews: 78 | Ratings: 458
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

On tap at Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock.

A pretty rich orange/copper beer, served in a chilled (i didn't have the heart to send it back as the place was starting to get crowded for the Harry Potter movie) pint glass. Not much head, but a sustained ring lasted for the duration.

MMM...smelled really good. Tropical fruit right off the bat (mango, pineapple)..some resinous pine and a touch of sweet malt as well.

Taste followed smell...the initial mango topped off with pine on the backend...a decent amount of malt to even it out...but a definite hop smack to the pallate. Very refreshing.

Super crisp, sharp carbonation...I did not want to drink it quickly, but i kept finding myself reaching for the glass a bit faster after every sip..a true sign of a good, drinkable beer. The 7% is well hidden, can easily sneak up on you if you thrown back a couple too quickly.

A top notch IPA brewed right here in my own backyard (well, South Austin).

Great job 512!

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Poured a hazy copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of grapefruit and piney hops

T - Follows the nose with citrus and piney hops would like it better with more citrus

M - This beer has a medium body with higher carbonation to it

D - This is one good ipa that I'm really enjoying if 512s other beers are this good they'll do just fine worth finding to try

4.26/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance - Hazy copper color.

Smell - Immediate strong aroma of citrus. Also had an aroma of tea.

Taste - Very interesting hop character. Strong citrus taste reminded me of Odell's or Hopslam. Fairly bitter. Hop character was extremely unique.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied.

Drinkability - Excellent IPA with lots of character that I hope does not change too much moving forward.

4.27/5  rDev +5.4%

Had on- tap at Valhalla.

A - Slightly hazy dark orange-amber. Forms a thin, off-white foamy head that doesn't stick around.
S - Strong piny hops, citrus, and other dark fruits. A moderate malt backbone rounds out.
T - Piny hops with a slightly nutty taste in the peripherals. A bit of caramel joins the bitter aftertaste.
M - Medium-bodied and a little oily. The moderately high ABV is almost completely unnoticeable.
D - A great standard IPA - good example of the style. Incredibly tasty and drinkable, this is one of my favorite session IPAs.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Golden orange body with 2 fingers of creamy head.

S: Citrus and more citrus. Faint alcohol.

T: Heavy sweet citrus. Orange and pineapple. Big time flavor for a non-imperial IPA.

M: Well carbonated and creamy.

D: Great drinkability, pint was gone before I realized it. wanted another but had more to try on tap at the Whip-In in Austin.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Had it on tap at the flying saucer in Austin several times now, finally getting around to a review.

A: Slightly hazy copper with a half inch or so of head that hangs around for a few minutes. Some lacing.

S: Floral and herbal notes stand out on this to me. Also, citrus and pine. Malt doesn't really come through, it's definitely overpowered by the hops.

T: Excellent balance. Citrus and pine, and the malts really shine through much more than they did in the nose.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation. Pretty solid.

D: Very nice beer, I really enjoyed it. Sure seemed fresh.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

Had on draft at 512's Grand Opening.

The color was vibrant orange with a thick white head. Excellent lacing on the glass. A strong citrus aroma was present in the nose. The taste also had a tangy citrus element to it. The mouthfeel was exceptional. Very smooth and full-bodied.

I can't wait to try this again at one of the fine drinking establishments in Austin!

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours with a dark orangish color, opaque in body. A nice IPA smell, high in hops but also has some fruits in it. Taste was a nice change for an IPA, it was definitely hoppy but the fruits really did it for me. It has a good strong bite with a crisp finish. It's not too powerful but there is a definite zing to it.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this beer many times, but on tap at the Dig Pub for this review.

Appearance: Pours a copper color with thin white head that dissipates quickly
Aroma: Smells of floral pine and citrus hops and hints of a carmel malt backbone.
Taste: As the aroma would suggest pine and citrus hops dominate this beer but not without a nice balance from the malt backbone. Excellent tasting beer.
Mouthfeel: Slightly resiny and a little chewy. Well to high carbonation. Every sip leaves you wanting another.
Overall: Highly recommended beer for a nice hop fix without being overly bitter. Recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on cask in Houston. The beer is hazy, copper colored, with little head but as a contradiction there was a lot of lace on the glass. The aroma was great, very strong on fruity hops notes (peach, apricot), but well balanced with a toasty malt backbone. I love IPAs on cask, and this is right at the top of the style in my opinion. The bready/toasty malt tastes come through so well in a cask, I don't know the reason why but they do come through and it's delicious. Long lingering bitterness that's more tasty than acrid. Excellent beer, I ordered 2 despite a huge selection of taps.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Growler into pint glass

A: Medium amber. Half-inch white head with some stick. Impressive, considering I opened the growler yesterday. Head fades to a thick layer of lace.

S: Citrus and pine dominate. There's pale malt in there too, but the first impression is all West Coast hop.

T/M: Slightly sweet and malty up front, with a citric and resiny bitterness in the middle. Finish is a slight lingering bitterness backed by toasty malt. Slight medicinal alcohol as it warms. Feel is substantial -- bordering on DIPA territory. For all the West Coast hop in the aroma, this actually turns out to be a more balanced, East Coast-type interpretation of the style.

D: I think Dogfish Head has the trademark on "session IPA" with their 60-minute, and it's deserved. But the (512) IPA could also be a contender for that label. Only potential problem is the ABV.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Pour House while waiting for Harry Potter to start. Drank it with a friend while catching up.

I'm glad my friend was talkative and wasn't able to down her entire beer. This allowed me to pour some of hers into my glass and see what the head looks like. Big, beautiful creamy white that doesn't go away. I need better pours when I go out... The beer itself was a clear, dark yellow with a few red shades. Looks like tastiness.

I rarely can smell beers that well unless they're in my snifter. What I remember here is hops. Glorious citrus and piney hops.

This beer is like drinking grapefruit juice... and in a good way. Holy hell, there are a ton of hops in here. The one problem I have with this beer is that I had to chug a glass of it on my birthday... and that was pretty rough. Definitely lowers the drinkability, but it's not like that's the beer's strong point anyway. The malt backbone is solid, if unmemorable. The bitterness isn't overpowering. The mouthfeel is solid. This beer is just pure grapefruit hops... and I won't complain.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Only one way to celebrate the opening day of the new Austin Ginger Man and that's with some local brews.

Like all their other beers, 512 IPA is something special. A beautiful coppery amber colour with a good two-finger head that lasts. Very floral and fruity in the nose with a good dose of pine that reminds me of being in a timber yard. The hops are fairly restrained in this beer but they certainly let you know that they're here on the palate. Good body with not too much carbonation.

I've had this on cask at the brewery and it's even better. Kevin and Nate know what they're doing.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Tasting notes from 9/11/10

Enjoyed on tap at Gingerman in Austin, TX.

Poured in to a pint glass with a medium orange colour.

The nose was full of crsip juicy citrus, with hints of grapfruit and tangerine. A very nice nose.

The palate is bitter citrus hops with grapefruit and orange notes. A subtle sweetness from the malts provdes a nice compliment.

Light to medium body. Light carbonation.

This is a very good IPA. I am happy that I asked the bartender for an IPA recommendation!

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this beer at the Draft Pick American Grill on Tap. nice rich color and good lacing as I progressed down the pint. had a decent resinous taste that did not linger to long but just enough to make me want more. A very decent local IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap at Trudy's in a standard pint glass.

Beautiful IPA, this. Tangerine copper hue seems a bit dark for the style, but the creamy taupe head is gorgeous and goes nowhere. Best lacing I've seen in a while, coating the inside of the pint with a continuous, thick layer of foam. Aroma is equally as impressive, with sweet tropical fruits that suggest mango, pineapple, and orange peel. The hops add notes of pine and resin, while the maltiness is biscuity and caramel-rich.

Aggressive restraint to the hops, which hit the palate with a leafy, piny bitterness and grapefruit flesh. Lots of fruitiness too, as per the aroma, but the taste is another dimension of hoppiness (in a very good way). Malts are a bit simplistic, but that's an easy facet to overlook given the plethora of greenness coating the palate. Good body, with a medium-light consistency and a crisp, juicy carbonation level. (512)'s IPA paired nicely with my chimichanga. Had this beer a few times, and I might start reaching for this brew with an increasing frequency, as I'd argue it's one of the best locally-brewed IPA's around. Yum.

4.46/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Update:
5-17-16 - On tap at Sheller's at the Hyatt Lost Pines outside of Austin, TX. Served in a classic pint glass. Just as I remembered it. Very hoppy and smooth. Nice local IPA from these folks.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Poured a hazy copper with a thin head of foam. Left broad rings of foam on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

Aroma: Floral and hoppy.

Taste: A pleasant floral taste, bitter but not overwhelmingly so.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Overall: IPA's are not really my thing but even so I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. A solid IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

At the Brewery. Kevin and Nate put on a cask conditioned IPA just for our homebrew club. Life is sweet!

Poured a seven finger belgian style head of foam. Yes there were some foaming issues here. But no big deal. They weren't trying to serve a bar ful of people...
Smell: Quite a bit different than their regular IPA which I just had a pint of. The yeast is much more apparent than the hops here. More of a bready , yeasty character along with the Simcoe/ Cascade nose. Very nice aroma.
Taste: Nice hops , citrusy piney, along with the malty breadiness of this.
Moutfeel: Very creamy mouthfeel. Did I mention that this was poured out of a guiness tap -- sort of a poor man's sparkler?
Drinkability: tried to have another but the keg quickly ran out. I love IPA's and I love them on cask even more.
A wonderful beer. If you see it on cask DO NOT HESITATE!! Order 2 pints and you'll be glad you did.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

This was my first experience with an IPA on Nitro. We shot an episode of Locapour at Craft Pride in Austin while they were featuring (512) IPA on Nitro.

You can check the episode out here to get a sense of the experience: http://locapour.tv/austin/512ipa

I have been a huge fan of this beer ever since I moved to Austin back in 2011. It was on of the first local Austin craft beers I had upon my arrival. Not only is it a great IPA but it can be found at just about any bar or restaurant around town that takes beer seriously.

The Nitro experience was wild. (512) IPA is very hoppy and has a very sharp finish that I would describe as almost peppery. But, the Nitro presentation rounds that out with a creamy texture and allow you to experience the beer in a whole new way. The flavors are there...they just feel different.

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

Reviewed 07.01.09 in notebook while traveling to the great city.

Nose is nicely hoppy - very uber-American - citric, pine, pungent... almost body odor strength pungency... and spicy hot. Smells heavenly.

Pours dark yellow / pale amber with moderate clarity. Nice head. Looks good.

The hops plunge into a soft foamy sea of malt - creamy, sweet, and toasty/biscuit. Nice hands-off bitterness via hop. Clean hop flavor, amazingly clean for the strength of hop. Also amazing is the balance. Lots of hops, but the malt steps up to take it. Great mouthfeel. Tart and quenchingly sour. Slightly oily. Hop flavor follows nose and is more restrained and less pungent/sharp. Tastes great. Feels great. Great drinkability.

The first time I tried this I found it to be so pungent that I didn't like it at all, I'm so glad a gave it a second try. I wonder if it was my palate or the beer that shifted...

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a golden amber with plenty of hops on the nose. The taste veers more towards the citrusy hops, which could be why I like it so much. The (512) IPA starts with strong hops which gives way to a slightly sweet bready maltiness and ends with a good hop bitterness. It is a very smooth and well balanced IPA with a deep profile that makes this a highly drinkable brew. I can't hide that this is my favorite local core brew and IPA. Even better that it is easy to find on tap in Austin.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance: Slight haze. Copper colored. Medium head.

Smell: Citrusy hops. Slight malty aroma.

Taste: Stellar balance between orange bitterness and malt sweetness. One of the best american IPA's I've had flavor wise. I attribute that to the freshness of having it on tap in Austin

Mouthfeel: Almost spot on. Could use a little more body. Carbonation perfect.

Drinkability: one of the better IPA's I've had. Great job

4.69/5  rDev +15.8%

Well...
I am writing this from München, while drinking a great Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel, and all I can say is I miss this beer. I am IPA biased so take this in consideration. This beer has the right combination of citrusy hoppiness and aroma. Most drinkable beer I have tasted (again for my taste). There are one-bottle (one-glass) beers that may rate higher in taste, but can you drink three glasses...
Never seen it in bottle so there is your excuse to go to Austin.

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Fantastic IPA! Not overly hopped but still acceptable to the hophead. This is an extremely drinkable IPA comparable to any of the great IPAs available on the market. This was the first beer I've had by the Austin based brewer but I will be sure to try more.

(512) IPA from (512) Brewing Company