(512) IPA | (512) Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

(512) Brewing Company
Texas, United States | website

Style: American IPA

(512) India Pale Ale is a big, aggressively dry-hopped American IPA with smooth bitterness (~65 IBU) balanced by medium maltiness. Organic 2-row malted barley, loads of hops, and great Austin water create an ale with apricot and vanilla aromatics that lure you in for more.

Added by wagenvolks on 07-04-2008

Reviews: 77 | Ratings: 454
4.85/5  rDev +20%

This is my all time favorite IPA. Hands down. I am so proud that it is coming out of my hometown. I am just bummed out they aren't bottling this yet. I need to be able to drink this at home, take this with me on trips and ship it to my beer nerd friends.

I've had this at tons of bars all around town and even at the brewery. Consistently good.

Appearance: A beautiful hazy golden orange hue which radiates from the glass like the contents of the pulp fiction briefcase.

Aroma: Citrus, grass and beautiful Rio Star grapefruit.

Taste: Not at all light on the hop end. It's big and bitter with not too much citrus/grapefruit (which I think ruins a lot of IPA's). I'm guessing cascade hops, would love to know what(else) they're using. Wonderfully complex. Some great pine and grassy flavors. Creamy and inviting. Nice dry finish

Mouthfeel: Beautifully effervescent, a well balanced beer, not too weighty and not at all thin.

Overall: Perfect. If only they made a session version which I could drink all day. My standby beer at bars around town. I have been drinking this since it first hit the taps and am not tiring of it whatsoever. The one beer to seek out for you out of towners!

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Pours clear and golden into a shaker pint. Good finger of foam that holds up even over time.

This brew has a big piney hop aroma that --surprise--comes across on the palate as well. Its reminiscent of a forest, with pine notes dominating. Some pine, some resin, a little chew. Sharp, clean finish. Crisp and refreshing. If I had a lawn to mow I’d make this my lawnmower beer.

3.58/5  rDev -11.4%

Had a pint with a Rudz Burger. Definitely a good combination.

Pours a hearty opaque amber, with a nice, creamy, one finger head that stays consistent throughout the whole pint, producing nice lacing. Has a nice hoppy aroma, but isn't too complex to me. The taste is as consistent with the smell, which is nice; hoppy, with a bit of a malty undertone towards the end. It has a nice, slightly carbonated hoppy bitterness in the mouth, which is pleasant.

A solid IPA. Not the best I've had, but I have been fortunate enough to be sipping some of the best the past few weeks. With that said, this is an IPA that would not put to the back burner, but would be happy to sip another.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Served in a pint glass at the gingerman in rice village

A: pours a amber copper hue with 1 finger of white head. Great lacing though the head dissipated quickly

S: some citrus and bitter hops. Enticing.

T: follows the nose but the hops are stronger and more bitter than the nose indicated. Nice

M: very smooth crisp and refreshing. Hops linger on the back of yor tongue making you reach for the next sip

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap at Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock.

A pretty rich orange/copper beer, served in a chilled (i didn't have the heart to send it back as the place was starting to get crowded for the Harry Potter movie) pint glass. Not much head, but a sustained ring lasted for the duration.

MMM...smelled really good. Tropical fruit right off the bat (mango, pineapple)..some resinous pine and a touch of sweet malt as well.

Taste followed smell...the initial mango topped off with pine on the backend...a decent amount of malt to even it out...but a definite hop smack to the pallate. Very refreshing.

Super crisp, sharp carbonation...I did not want to drink it quickly, but i kept finding myself reaching for the glass a bit faster after every sip..a true sign of a good, drinkable beer. The 7% is well hidden, can easily sneak up on you if you thrown back a couple too quickly.

A top notch IPA brewed right here in my own backyard (well, South Austin).

Great job 512!

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

On Tap at Draught House

I sampled this, Lost Gold, and Fire Eagle side by side. This was my second favorite, after Fire Eagle.

A: Nice, hazy golden/copper.

S: Grapefruit citrus.

T: A bit sweet, but nice balance.

M: A bit heavy due to the sweetness.

O: Nice IPA by a great local brewery.

3.7/5  rDev -8.4%

Poured into a pint glass at the Draught house in Austin, TX.

Appearance: Copper-orange with a fluffy white head that fades into a lacing on the top of the beer.

Aroma: Citrusy and floral, but dominated by the unmistakable aroma that is grapefruit. Just not complex enough for me.

Taste: Slightly malty background, but the usual high ratio of hops to malt, how I prefer my IPAs. The dominate taste, just like the aroma, is grapefruit. This in fact is the only IPA my girlfriend will drink, because it tastes like grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: On the higher end of carbonation, but a nice dry finish and a lingering bitterness.

Overall: I like it but I would choose other IPAs over this one. It is just too much grapefruit for me, I like grapefruit juice, but if I want that I would drink it. I wanted an IPA, not a grapefruit juice.

4.85/5  rDev +20%

BEST IPA in TEXAS BAR NONE!!!
OK....here we go. Where do I start. Thank God an IPA of this character exists in Texas (it's about time). The brewer must have been thinking
big state...big hop aroma and flavor. A nice amber hue greets you with a small head and backhands you with a hop slap, but the backhand feels so good, just like daddy used to dish them out. After you have finished sniffin the aromatics of this exceptional beer like cocaine it gets even better. Full mouth malty grain feel that hints at a substantial alcohol hop
bitterness that only the privy northwesterners get to experience on a regular basis. This hopped out beast makes me feel like I am camping
in Yakima Valley itself and to top it off, I just found out that it is orgasmic, I mean ORGANIC. A rock solid IPA form Texas that is my
cornerstone at the bar. Thanks 512. I think that a little bit of the
west coast made it out to Texas.

3.42/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Hazy, dull dark straw color, white head that sheets the glass nicely with slow melting lace.

S - Citrusy hops with slight tang of pine, some soapiness, and fresh dough.

T - Rich and fairly malty (all thigs considered) with lots of hop bitterness. More pine sap than citrus. Some tropical fruit goin on too.

M - medium thick body with quite a bit of stickiness. Moderate bright carbonation.

D - This one grew on me. Not especially refined, but with plenty of good qualities and obvious craftsmanship.

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%

Had on tap at the flying saucer, Addison. The beer is the color of iced tea and has the slightest haze. The cap is the color of whipped eggs and almost as firm. A solid raft of foam that has some lasting power.

The nose is an hebal citrus and sweet malt. A clean crisp smelling IPA that is nothing special but does have a solid scent. It does dip into a little mustiness but very minimally.

Taste is nicely hopped right from the get go. A citrus flavor burst followed by a slightly toasted sweet malt. The musty scent isn't carried over to the taste which is a bonus. The carbonation and hops make a nice acidic wash that really compliments the style.

That bitterness really finishes the beer well giving you a nice pucker after each sip. It has a little creaminess that really gives this one some nice body and balance with a carbonatied sizzle. A great feeling IPA but the taste is lacking. I find the flavors muted and boring after a few sips. A good beer but not my favorite. However it's solid enough to be one I'd order again and again. A nice satisfying IPA.

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance: Hazy dark orange color with a decent head that sticks a bit.

Smell: You get a good aroma off this one. A nice mix of citrus hops and some nature.

Taste: Great example of an IPA. When i review IPAs I look for a balance between the hop profile and the other flavors. This one is a good example.

Mouthfeel: Slick, goes down fast.

Overall: Great an example of the style. It's a good session beer for hop lovers out there too.

3.62/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A pint at Red's Porch.

Pours cloudy amber with a head that has below average retention and little lace. Aroma is balanced between the malt and hops where there is interplay between caramel malt and and earthy hops. More east coast than west coast style. Nice hop bitterness on the back end but light on the aromatic hops. Carbonation is a bit on the high side. Medium body. Hop profile is less interesting than the 512 black IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

Had on- tap at Valhalla.

A - Slightly hazy dark orange-amber. Forms a thin, off-white foamy head that doesn't stick around.
S - Strong piny hops, citrus, and other dark fruits. A moderate malt backbone rounds out.
T - Piny hops with a slightly nutty taste in the peripherals. A bit of caramel joins the bitter aftertaste.
M - Medium-bodied and a little oily. The moderately high ABV is almost completely unnoticeable.
D - A great standard IPA - good example of the style. Incredibly tasty and drinkable, this is one of my favorite session IPAs.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Growler into pint glass

A: Medium amber. Half-inch white head with some stick. Impressive, considering I opened the growler yesterday. Head fades to a thick layer of lace.

S: Citrus and pine dominate. There's pale malt in there too, but the first impression is all West Coast hop.

T/M: Slightly sweet and malty up front, with a citric and resiny bitterness in the middle. Finish is a slight lingering bitterness backed by toasty malt. Slight medicinal alcohol as it warms. Feel is substantial -- bordering on DIPA territory. For all the West Coast hop in the aroma, this actually turns out to be a more balanced, East Coast-type interpretation of the style.

D: I think Dogfish Head has the trademark on "session IPA" with their 60-minute, and it's deserved. But the (512) IPA could also be a contender for that label. Only potential problem is the ABV.

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Big thanks to lnashsig for the opportunity to try this one. Growler opens with a healthy hiss, and my pour (into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass) yields a substantial old lace head that recedes to a lasting half finger with a climbing collar.

Very dark burnt orange (almost mahogany) liquid with princeton orange highlights. Lightly hazy, good retention, soapy lacing.

Pleasing soft aromatics, with light pine, clay, and candied apple in the nose.

Hops are right up front, and while delicate compared to many West Coast IPAs, do not overwhelm the palate like some examples of the style. Moderate bitterness with a gentle herbaceous touch of evergreen, iced tea, and menthol along with an earthy resinous quality that bleeds into the malt bill quite well. Mostly pale malt throughout, though there is an underlying caramel quality as well. Finishes medium-dry with a faint toffee note returning in the aftertaste.

Slick yet a bit light-bodied, good carbonation overall.

Very refreshing and the alcohol is well hidden. Well balanced (though some hop fanatics may find it a bit sweet) and quite tasty ale.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this beer many times, but on tap at the Dig Pub for this review.

Appearance: Pours a copper color with thin white head that dissipates quickly
Aroma: Smells of floral pine and citrus hops and hints of a carmel malt backbone.
Taste: As the aroma would suggest pine and citrus hops dominate this beer but not without a nice balance from the malt backbone. Excellent tasting beer.
Mouthfeel: Slightly resiny and a little chewy. Well to high carbonation. Every sip leaves you wanting another.
Overall: Highly recommended beer for a nice hop fix without being overly bitter. Recommended.

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Growler poured into imperial pint glass. Thanks to jenray for sending this one as part of the IPA DIPA BIF.

A: Pours a hazy dark orange color with an off-white head that leaves tons of lacing all over the glass. Would prefer a little more clarity, but definitely not bad.

S: Nice piney floral hop character. Not really much citrus here, but a very sweet light pine that has hints of wildflower honey and a slight bit of grainy corn that is not entirely pleasant.

T: Fairly upfront bitterness with not a lot of nuances to the hop flavor. It's a very nice bite though, just not overly complex. I pick up a little peppery flavor on the tongue and a slight metallic tinge at the end, not unlike an English version.

M&D: The mouth is a touch overcarbonated for me, but the drinkable doesn't suffer too much. This is a very easy drinking beer that would do the job for a hop fix and allow you to savor the unbiased bitterness.

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Golden orange body with 2 fingers of creamy head.

S: Citrus and more citrus. Faint alcohol.

T: Heavy sweet citrus. Orange and pineapple. Big time flavor for a non-imperial IPA.

M: Well carbonated and creamy.

D: Great drinkability, pint was gone before I realized it. wanted another but had more to try on tap at the Whip-In in Austin.

While in Austin I was able to enjoy a glass of this at the Whip In.

I am very glad to see that the state of Texas is discovering the use of hops in their beers. This version was pretty nice.

The beer is a hazy light amber with a finger of off white head that leaves a lot of lacing behind.

Aroma is fruity, some yeast

Flavor also brings a fair amount of fruit flavors with some citrus/lemon and even a touch of peach. Fairly bitter, but not extremely assertive.

Prickly light carbonation, pretty nice.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

On cask at the Flying Saucer.

Served with 1 finger of creamy beige head. Good retention with some lace left as well. Color is a hazed amber orange.

Aroma; Fresh floral hops. Earthy and fresh. Bready malts at a minimum. Nice.

Taste: Floral earthy hops. A touch of onions. Bready malts. Light amount of fruity citrus.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and bitter. Medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends bitter and sticky.

Overall, a nice cask ipa. Bitter and creamy light it should be. Pretty drinkable. Ends a bit dry, but other than that it was pretty drinkable.

4.69/5  rDev +16.1%

Well...
I am writing this from München, while drinking a great Andechs Dopplebock Dunkel, and all I can say is I miss this beer. I am IPA biased so take this in consideration. This beer has the right combination of citrusy hoppiness and aroma. Most drinkable beer I have tasted (again for my taste). There are one-bottle (one-glass) beers that may rate higher in taste, but can you drink three glasses...
Never seen it in bottle so there is your excuse to go to Austin.

4.38/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the Pour House while waiting for Harry Potter to start. Drank it with a friend while catching up.

I'm glad my friend was talkative and wasn't able to down her entire beer. This allowed me to pour some of hers into my glass and see what the head looks like. Big, beautiful creamy white that doesn't go away. I need better pours when I go out... The beer itself was a clear, dark yellow with a few red shades. Looks like tastiness.

I rarely can smell beers that well unless they're in my snifter. What I remember here is hops. Glorious citrus and piney hops.

This beer is like drinking grapefruit juice... and in a good way. Holy hell, there are a ton of hops in here. The one problem I have with this beer is that I had to chug a glass of it on my birthday... and that was pretty rough. Definitely lowers the drinkability, but it's not like that's the beer's strong point anyway. The malt backbone is solid, if unmemorable. The bitterness isn't overpowering. The mouthfeel is solid. This beer is just pure grapefruit hops... and I won't complain.

4.03/5  rDev -0.2%

From notes 09/16/10. On-tap at Dancing Bear in Wacko.

A- Deep amber, sticky, one finger dark-white head, lots of lacing.

S- Caramel, toffee, mild hops, floral, faint alcohol aroma.

T/M- Medium/thick body, bitter, semi-sweet, and chewy.

D- Solid IPA. I wish (512) would start bottling/canning some of their beer, because this would be in my fridge at least once a month.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Poured a hazy copper with a thin head of foam. Left broad rings of foam on the sides of the glass as I drank it.

Aroma: Floral and hoppy.

Taste: A pleasant floral taste, bitter but not overwhelmingly so.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Overall: IPA's are not really my thing but even so I enjoyed this beer quite a bit. A solid IPA.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

In cask at The Flying Saucer in Houston. Very nice beer.
Served in a pint glass the beer was a hazy amber color with a thick off-white head.
Strong citrus aroma, sweet malt, and a sense of something floral.
Grapefruit and orange taste, sweet malt, and a hint of pine.
A balanced, mellow beer. Certainly not a hop bomb.
Easy to drink.