Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

(512) ALT - (512) Brewing Company

(512) ALT
No picture.

(512) Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: LittleDon on 03-21-2009

(512) ALT is a German-style amber ale that is fermented cooler than typical ales and cold conditioned like a lager. ALT means “old” in German and refers to a beer style made using ale yeast after many German brewers had switched to newly discovered lager yeast. This ale has a very smooth, yet pronounced, hop bitterness with a malty backbone and a characteristic German yeast character. Made with 98% Organic 2-row and Munich malts and US noble hops.
3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

On tap at Flying Saucer in Sugar Land, Texas.

This beer just isn't nearly as good as their excellent Pecan Porter. Of course I tend to like Porters a lot anyway.

This was very mild with a touch of bitterness. It just didn't do anything for me. I doubt I'll try it again. (272 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

A Light brown with small head that stays.

S Very limited smell, somewhat malty, no hop smell.

T Surprised me with it's lack of maltiness as it tasted almost dunkel like with it's mild coffee taste.

M Somewhat watery but does have a little creaminess to it.

O Not a huge fan of the style but also of this specific beer. The franconia alt is much more malty and creamy leaving this to be a watery, more coffee like version that I consider very inferior. (455 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

This was mentioned to me as a german-style amber ale? However, the beer was pleasant to drink.

A: The beer had a dark brown hue that is typically seen in brown ales.

Taste was something I see quite often in brown ales. There's a slightly roasted and nutty flavor to the beer especially when the pint warms up. It's not overpowering, but it's just there.

The beer lingers in your mouth just right without too much fanfare. I particularly hate it when there's a lot of "burnt" aftertaste like some black lagers and some brown ales, but this beer doesn't give you that.

If you like amber/brown ales, then this is a decent one to try. I always have enjoyed the beers from 512, so this is yet another solid beer that you should try out. (737 characters)

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark mahogany with reddish hues on the edges topped off with an off white head about a finger thick which recedes into a ring around the side of the glass.

Aroma: Roasted grains and a touch of coffee and burnt notes.

Taste: Caramel and toffee with roasted notes and a slightly bready flavor.

Mouthfeel: Full body with medium carbonation and a sweet chewy finish.

Overall: Another good showing form (512) definitely will look for this beer next spring before it gets too hot. (522 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

On-tap at the Pour House on Burnet.

Shows a gorgeous, roasted pumpkin-amber body with near perfect clarity. A towering cap of khaki head slowly laces the pint glass with thick rings of foam. Aroma is of toasted nuttiness, German yeast and slightly herbal hop notes...nice.

Flavor is of nutty malt and floral hops with a backing of slightly medicinal yeast esters in the finish. A light roast and mineral notes suggest a clean bill of health for this Altbier. Mouthfeel is creamy and full-bodied, but it drinks easily with a crisp, drying finish. Overall, a very drinkable Alt from the good folks at (512). Not my favorite beer they make, but worth trying each year. (667 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston.

A: Pours a dark brown color. A two finger bubbly beige head forms that recedes in a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: Fairly neutral in the nose. Lightly bitter up front with some sweetness following. Not much here.
T: Much more bitter up front. I can't even tell if this is a hoppy bitterness, just kind of nondescript. Some nutty flavors and a strong sweetness in the middle. Then finishes with that same strong bitterness. I can't really put my finger on it.
M/D: A medium body that is well carbonated. Crisp and smooth at the same time. Easy enough to drink. The pint went down smooth.

I like that 512 is making some different styles, but I am not sure if this is much of an Altbier? Most everything is just nondescript. I can't tell what the bitterness is, and there is just a general sweetness in the middle as well. Interesting to try once, but that is it. (909 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

64 oz. growler filled at Whip In on 8 Jun 2010 and tried the same day.

Poured in the 0.4 L Radeberger mug. Huge lacy tan head. Not much carbonation. Clear iced tea color. Smells fruity and somewhat like peanut oil. Light chocolate with a slight bitterness. Touch of roasted malts through the middle and finish. Tangy tart aftertaste. Flat mouthfeel, light body. Light alcohol.

Fairly light overall but tasty and quite easy to drink, two of us finished the growler in 20 hours... (480 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Sampled on tap at the Whip-In.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate and caramel malts with some earthy hops. The flavor is chocolate, caramel and some nutty characteristics but it is not near as intense as on a brown ale or porter. I also get some spices as well as some earthy hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (383 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at Austin Ginger Man.

A dark brown, slightly cloudy pint with little head but decent lacing. Aroma is full of caramelised malt with a good hint of the Santiam hops it's brewed with. A very full flavour with little malt sweetness but plenty of malt taste, and a nice moderately bitter finsh. Medium to full body. Another very nice pint from 512. (352 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Another local brew on tap at the Ginger Man. The 512 alt is served in a standard pint. The beer is reddish brown with a chill haze. There is a cap of beige foam.

The aroma is of slightly roasted grains, some apple and a bit of spice from the hops.

The taste tracks closely to the smell. There is a bit of grains, a bit of fruit and a finish of spice (mainly pepper with just a dash of juniper).

The mouth is pleasant with some mid level heft and a touch of slickness. Easy drinker that is good to pair with non-spicy food. (525 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +12.1%

I was slightly depressed when the (512) Pecan Porter disappeared from Billy's on Burnet. I must've drank about half of what they had, at least. Every time I came in I had it, until a couple of weeks ago when I drained the last half-glass from the tap.

Last night I was reading the latest BA magazine, with the feature on Altbier. I was very interested, and disappointed at the statement regarding it's unavailability in the US. So when I walked into Billy's, I was pleased to see (512) had stepped up to make a very ambitious style, the Alt.

I have no "real" altbier experiences to compare this to, but here goes.

Color is a medium-dark amber with a solid creamy head.

Smell is fresh, there are familiar sweet notes that I just can't put my finger on.

Taste is great, for the color I was expecting something a lot heavier. It's refreshing but substantial.

Mouthfeel is reminiscent of Harp, again, substantial without being too heavy.

Drinkability? I will be drinking several today, and several the next time I am here.

I look forward to seeing more from (512), they have a good thing going and I hope they can keep it up! (1,132 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +8.9%

Had a pint at the (512) spring open house yesterday, at which this beer was introduced.

Dark-brown and cloudy in appearance, the pint glass I was handed had been pre-poured, so I can't say a lot about the head. The smell was nice and earthy with underlying hop notes, and the taste largely followed suit. The sweetness up front balanced nicely with the beer's hops, and in combination with an enjoyable, full body, the pint drank easily while sitting outside the brewery on a beautiful March day.

This is a tasty representative of a style I don't often see, and I'll look for it around town in the future. (609 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

A pint from the brewery during the spring open house. Dark amber in color, it was cloudy with no visible signs of carbonation. Little head to speak of, so I can't comment on its color or density. The aroma treated me to a nice balance of hops and caramelized barley. The first taste was much the same. There was a nice balance between the bitterness of the hops and the sweetness of the grain. Medium bodied, it finished smoothly, certainly worthy of a repeat tasting. Now that I've tried all five of 512s brews, I can say that this is my favorite. (548 characters)

(512) ALT from (512) Brewing Company