(512) ALT - (512) Brewing Company

(512) Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

(512) ALT is a German-style amber ale that is fermented cooler than typical ales and cold conditioned like a lager. ALT means “old” in German and refers to a beer style made using ale yeast after many German brewers had switched to newly discovered lager yeast. This ale has a very smooth, yet pronounced, hop bitterness with a malty backbone and a characteristic German yeast character. Made with 98% Organic 2-row and Munich malts and US noble hops.

(Beer added by: LittleDon on 03-21-2009)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.22/5  rDev +13.4%

Sampled on tap at the Whip-In.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a large white head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate and caramel malts with some earthy hops. The flavor is chocolate, caramel and some nutty characteristics but it is not near as intense as on a brown ale or porter. I also get some spices as well as some earthy hops. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

I was slightly depressed when the (512) Pecan Porter disappeared from Billy's on Burnet. I must've drank about half of what they had, at least. Every time I came in I had it, until a couple of weeks ago when I drained the last half-glass from the tap.

Last night I was reading the latest BA magazine, with the feature on Altbier. I was very interested, and disappointed at the statement regarding it's unavailability in the US. So when I walked into Billy's, I was pleased to see (512) had stepped up to make a very ambitious style, the Alt.

I have no "real" altbier experiences to compare this to, but here goes.

Color is a medium-dark amber with a solid creamy head.

Smell is fresh, there are familiar sweet notes that I just can't put my finger on.

Taste is great, for the color I was expecting something a lot heavier. It's refreshing but substantial.

Mouthfeel is reminiscent of Harp, again, substantial without being too heavy.

Drinkability? I will be drinking several today, and several the next time I am here.

I look forward to seeing more from (512), they have a good thing going and I hope they can keep it up!

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

Had a pint at the (512) spring open house yesterday, at which this beer was introduced.

Dark-brown and cloudy in appearance, the pint glass I was handed had been pre-poured, so I can't say a lot about the head. The smell was nice and earthy with underlying hop notes, and the taste largely followed suit. The sweetness up front balanced nicely with the beer's hops, and in combination with an enjoyable, full body, the pint drank easily while sitting outside the brewery on a beautiful March day.

This is a tasty representative of a style I don't often see, and I'll look for it around town in the future.

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%

A Light brown with small head that stays.

S Very limited smell, somewhat malty, no hop smell.

T Surprised me with it's lack of maltiness as it tasted almost dunkel like with it's mild coffee taste.

M Somewhat watery but does have a little creaminess to it.

O Not a huge fan of the style but also of this specific beer. The franconia alt is much more malty and creamy leaving this to be a watery, more coffee like version that I consider very inferior.

3.03/5  rDev -18.5%

On tap at Flying Saucer in Sugar Land, Texas.

This beer just isn't nearly as good as their excellent Pecan Porter. Of course I tend to like Porters a lot anyway.

This was very mild with a touch of bitterness. It just didn't do anything for me. I doubt I'll try it again.

3.23/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Houston.

A: Pours a dark brown color. A two finger bubbly beige head forms that recedes in a minute. Light lace is left behind.
S: Fairly neutral in the nose. Lightly bitter up front with some sweetness following. Not much here.
T: Much more bitter up front. I can't even tell if this is a hoppy bitterness, just kind of nondescript. Some nutty flavors and a strong sweetness in the middle. Then finishes with that same strong bitterness. I can't really put my finger on it.
M/D: A medium body that is well carbonated. Crisp and smooth at the same time. Easy enough to drink. The pint went down smooth.

I like that 512 is making some different styles, but I am not sure if this is much of an Altbier? Most everything is just nondescript. I can't tell what the bitterness is, and there is just a general sweetness in the middle as well. Interesting to try once, but that is it.

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Another local brew on tap at the Ginger Man. The 512 alt is served in a standard pint. The beer is reddish brown with a chill haze. There is a cap of beige foam.

The aroma is of slightly roasted grains, some apple and a bit of spice from the hops.

The taste tracks closely to the smell. There is a bit of grains, a bit of fruit and a finish of spice (mainly pepper with just a dash of juniper).

The mouth is pleasant with some mid level heft and a touch of slickness. Easy drinker that is good to pair with non-spicy food.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

3.58/5  rDev -3.8%

This was mentioned to me as a german-style amber ale? However, the beer was pleasant to drink.

A: The beer had a dark brown hue that is typically seen in brown ales.

Taste was something I see quite often in brown ales. There's a slightly roasted and nutty flavor to the beer especially when the pint warms up. It's not overpowering, but it's just there.

The beer lingers in your mouth just right without too much fanfare. I particularly hate it when there's a lot of "burnt" aftertaste like some black lagers and some brown ales, but this beer doesn't give you that.

If you like amber/brown ales, then this is a decent one to try. I always have enjoyed the beers from 512, so this is yet another solid beer that you should try out.

(512) ALT from (512) Brewing Company