(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter - (512) Brewing Company

(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter(512) Whiskey Barrel Aged Double Pecan Porter

(512) Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Porter |  8.20% ABV

(512) Double Pecan Porter is a robust porter accented by locally grown roasted pecans and subtly enhanced by aging in recently emptied oak whiskey barrels. For the first ever bottling, only one 200L barrel was bottled. Notes of chocolate, coffee and pecan marry with the subtle flavors of vanilla and whiskey to make this a wonderful winter warmer worth sharing and savoring. We sincerely hope you enjoy every sip.

2010 - Jack Daniels barrels
2011 - Maker's Mark barrels
2012 - Jack Daniels barrels
2013 - Maker's Mark barrels

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 12-20-2009)

garudatx, Oct 29, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -43.9%

Thanks to Robert for this bottle. Shared at a tasting today.

A: We've got a gusher! Huge tan head that finally subsides to the point where you can drink the dark brown liquid that lies beneath.

S: A bit of nuttiness to the nose along with a very noticeable acidity. Light chocolate and really no barrel/whiskey character at all--not surprising due to the infection.

T: Luckily the flavor is not completely overwhelmed by the infection, and there is a bit of vanilla and pecan, but it is subtle and muddled. Definitely some lactic notes, though.

M: The body is medium and obviously very overcarbonated. Again, a product of the infection.

D: Very unfortunate that this one has gone this way. If you're sitting on any bottles of this, drink 'em now. Hopefully they re-release this beer and I'll get to try it again.

womencantsail, Jun 13, 2010

huskermike12, May 22, 2013

chippo33, Jun 19, 2013

ReyG006, Sep 17, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -39.6%

Dropped a bottle fo this a few months back, finally got another one and was excited to pop it open.

A - Dark brown beer with a pretty big tan head that had some decent retention and left a bit of stick on the sides.

S - Apparently the first batch of this was great and then got infected. Seems that this is what happened to the second batch. Almost smells like some brett or something got in there, a little fuzzy. You get the pecans and some whiskey that turned somehow?

T - It doesn't taste right. This has become infected. It's not raging yet, but it's gotten a good hold on the beer. There is some pecan and roasted malts underneath. I guess it could have been good, but unfortunately it's infected.

M - Close to full bodied, infection-type carbonation.

O - Seems to be some infection issues with this beer in both batches. Keep hearing good things, want to get a fresh bottle of the next batch and give it a try.

AgentZero, Oct 27, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

Gonzoillini, Jan 13, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -34.4%

t0rin0, Aug 10, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

I had this again at the Flying Saucer in Houston, TX

This is not the beer I remember a year ago.
A: This pours the same with a small bubbly tan head that quickly fades.
S: The aroma is of whiskey barrels and alcohol. Some burnt toasted malt. Bitter and acrid.
T: The flavor is incredibly hot. Lots of nondescript bourbon/alcohol flavors going on. Sweet malt, char, and wood that finishes acrid and bitter. Not much of any stout here. Mostly barrel. There is a certain sourness here as well. It is not pronounced, but always in the background. Kind of odd.
M/D: This is really thin and watery. Not easy to drink at all. It was a chore to finish my glass.

This is overwhelmingly whiskey/alcoholic/barrel. There is also some notes of sourness, probably not from infection, but it is there on the newer release. Overall, this is a disappointment and almost a different beer than I remember last year. I would not recommend this.

champ103, Jan 14, 2011

leschkie, Nov 21, 2011

TheSamKuehn, Aug 08, 2014

seeswo, Jan 21, 2012

Thank you to RandomName7 for sending me this bottle.

2012 vintage, poured into a generic cognac snifter.

A: This beer poured a nice black with a HUGE tan head, even while cold. It was difficult to judge how thick the beer pours with all the head.After pouring a little and waiting for the head to dissipate a few times I was ready to drink.

S: The smell was a bit different than I normally expect for a porter. I did get a hint of roast and a bit of pecan, but there was something off in the nose. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

T: The taste had a little roast and a touch of oak. Not getting much bourbon or pecans in the taste. There was something different with the taste. It was a bit off but I couldn't put my finger on it. It wasn't dominating, but noticeable. It stayed in the background throughout, even as the beer warmed.

M: Carbonation was very high for the style and it seemed a bit thin. I got lots of prickly carbonation with each sip, from fridge temp all the way to room temp.

O: Overall this beer turned out different than I expected. I won't cry infected but something unusual was definitely going on with this one. I wouldn't risk aging it.

BigTomZ, Jun 09, 2012

whartontallboy, Jul 01, 2012

StoutBuddha, Aug 04, 2014

3Hops, Nov 21, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

a slight gusher, though I didn't spill too much.

pours pretty black with an oversized dark chocolate head that recedes quickly, lacing pretty well.

kind of an odd aroma. sweet, not too roasty, with a little bit of a nutty kick, and very little barrel character.

starts boozy and hot, then sweet, but with plenty of whiskey. a bit nutty, a bit sweet. some vanilla, molasses and brown sugar.

way over carbonated. I think that may be affecting the flavors, too. medium bodied with tons of prickly carbonation.

I like it. but, it's just not well-executed. The bottle says they've only bottle it three times, so hopefully in future bottlings they work out these kinks. The foundation is there to make this a tremendous beer, but the final product, at this point, does not reach the levels it could.
___
after a few months the gushing has increased and the off-flavors have as well.

Do not age this one. despite the wax... this beer will NOT improve with time and its mediocrity is best enjoyed as fresh as possible.

I really wanted to LOVE this beer, but I wouldn't even buy it off the shelf if it were available up here. Maybe subsequent batches will be better. Hopefully. But, I don't see myself trading for it in the future.

silentjay, May 04, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -24.1%

I had this on tap at Petrol Station in Houston. Kind of surprised to see it on tap, I was very happy to try it.

It looks about like the 512 Pecan Porter I had on tap a couple nights ago, dark brown and opaque with a mocha colored foam, less lacing than the standard Pecan Porter but maybe due to glass handling at a different location.

The whiskey is a little subdued in the aroma, getting just a little stronger as it warmed. A lot of the cocoa character I liked in the original, this smells pretty massive, more stout-y than porter-y.

A little hot tasting, maybe a hint of cough medicine too, where did that come from? These off-notes are slight and probably nitpicky on my part, the underlying beer is quite good. I think this might be one of those occasions where I prefer the beer without a barrel treatment. 512 Pecan Porter is so good on its own, the whiskey barrel doesn't seem to improve it much at all. Maybe makes it a tad worse, meaning it's still a good beer but not where it could be.

A little burn in my upper digestive system after a few sips, the whiskey really becomes more apparent. One and done.

TurdFurgison, Mar 01, 2011

IrishColonial, Apr 08, 2014

eyeenjoybeer, May 22, 2012

spycow, Jan 12, 2013

Piason, Oct 06, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -20%

This review is for the 2012 bottle

The inital pour on this results in 90% head. Yeah, this is insanely carbonated. Nice dark, near black color but I can't get over how over-carb'd this is as it almost has an appearance of a soda. Not a fan.

Decent aroma of chocolate and slight booze. The light smell reminds me of a porter but I am not getting much in tne way of whiskey and very liitle nut presence.

Same here with the taste as I got with the aroma. Definite rich chocolate notes. I wish there was some more whiskey and pecans to offset the dominant chocolate. The soda-esque carbonation detracts also from the taste. The flavor is pretty good but this could be outstanding with a little more finesse.

If you like your beer to be similar to drinking a cola then this is your beer. Me, not so much. Why carb a beer to this degree?

From what I have read, this beer has been plagued with carb issues and potential infections from the very first release. While I don't think this bottle was infected, I believe the lack of craftmanship leads to incohesion and a less than stellar brew.

metalgdog, Jul 05, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

Bottle shared at FosterJM's birthday celebration courtesy of FosterJM.

Pours an opaque black with a dark khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark malt, whisky, slight nuttiness, and some weird medicinal aromas. Taste is much the same with some woody flavors on the finish. This beer has a high level of carbonation that is just too much for this beer in my opinion. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but not all that well done for a barrel aged beer.

UCLABrewN84, May 19, 2012
3.49/5  rDev -16.7%

Served on-draught into a 5 oz sampler glass at the Draughthouse in Austin, Texas. Reviewed from notes. 2013 vintage.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of tan colour. Good creaminess and thickness. Retention is bad - less than one minute. Lacing is inconsistent.

Body colour is an opaque solid black; pretty predictable for a porter. No floating yeast particles or sediment is visible. It's definitely to style, and looks good. Not unique or special, but there are no overt flaws.

Sm: There's a definite bourbon presence. Hints of vanilla, oak barrel, and lovely milk chocolate. Dark malts. Chocolate malt. Maybe some booze. Pecan nut is a highlight here; I also get some hazelnut which complements it nicely. Strangely, the pecan is more developed and evocative here than I remember it being in the base beer. I like the aroma; it's very inviting. No yeast character/hop profile is detectable. I'm really looking forward to trying it. A pleasant aroma of moderate strength.

T: Quite sweet - overly so. Sweet bourbon-induced vanilla notes, sweet chocolate, and a kiss of oak. Heavy dark malts and chocolate malts fill out the body, but sadly there's little roasted barley character to be found. Cream. Marshmallow. The pecan is quite timid (just like it was in the disappointing base beer). The barrel notes don't overwhelm the base, but they don't really complement the base either. I'd love more oak - ideally with some toasty or charred character. It has nice complexity, but not enough subtlety. Needs more of a sweet/bitter balance. Some cola and sassafras notes.

As it warms, I pick up some licorice and molasses.

There's no perceptible hop presence, nor do I pick up nay yeast or overt alcohol. Below average depth of flavour. Average duration and intensity of flavour.

Mf: A bit creamy. Smooth and wet. Slick. A bit syrupy and thick. Full-bodied. Has a ice presence on the palate. Well carbonated. A bit more dryness and coarseness would help coax out more depth of flavour.

Not oily, astringent, hot, boozy, gushed, or harsh.

Dr: Hides its ABV well. Quite drinkable. It's an enjoyable barrel aged imperial porter from 512, and I'd get it again. But it's far from world class, and the reticence of the pecan is very disappointing. I'd recommend this to friends, but this is only good where it has the potential to be great.

High B-