(512) Cascabel Cream Stout - (512) Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

(512) Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Smooth and roasty, and black as night, (512) Cascabel Cream Stout is brewed to a hair under 6% abv using almost 90% Organic Two Row and Crystal Malts, Chocolate Malt, and Roasted Barley. Non-fermentable Brewers Lactose is added for lasting sweetness, and over 20 pounds of Guajillo Chiles are added after fermentation to warm you up when the night gets chile.

(Beer added by: champ103 on 01-23-2011)
Reviews by afluentturtle:

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

Served in a tall glass at the Addison Saucer. Kind of surprising to see a stout served in the tall weizen glasses.

The beer pours a very dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate with some chilis mixed in. A fairly unique aroma and quite enjoyable.

The flavor is similar. I get a lot of sweet chocolate with some roasted malt, spice from the chilis and some cream notes. I also get a little bit of coffee. No hops in the aroma, this is all about the malt.

Medium to thick, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice, easy drinking sweet stout with a nice added twist of peppers. Great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +14%

This may be the best stout currently produced in Texas which used to not be saying much except in recent years a lot of great breweries have stepped up. The dried red chile taste of cascabel (actually tastes more like a pasilla negro than cascabel but no matter) is seamlessly woven into the overall taste of the beer from the aroma to the tickle of spice on the back of the throat.

Normally I enjoy chile beers but don't do more than one (I'm looking at you Wynkoop and Rogue Chipotle) however I found myself ordering multiple pints of this as it tastes as though the chile is *supposed* to be there.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Got my growler filled at Freetail in San Antonio on Wednesday night, poured about 24 hrs after growler fill. I know, don't worry, I drank plenty of Freetail beer while I was there, and got 5 growlers of their stuff too.

Poured into my Dfh snifter, a tiny bit of tan head appears, and then quickly resides. Smell: I definitely get some dairy flavors, some smoke and chipotle flavors, and maybe some chocolate flavors in the background. Taste: some sort of weird smoke and light pepper taste hits first, and then there is the cream/milk flavor at the end. This is unique for sure, and I like the creativity used, but I'm not sure if this pepper taste really belongs here (although I know its intentional). Mouthfeel: huge carbonation is nice, it is silky and creamy. Nice feeling beer. Drinability: goes down pretty easily, no flavor is really offensive, but I don't know that I'd get a growler of it again.

4.75/5  rDev +16.4%

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%

I loved the heat the first year I had this, but the recent version I had was a lot sweeter with very little heat. I'm not sure if the recipe changed, but I much preferred the heat.

(512) Cascabel Cream Stout from (512) Brewing Company