(512) Cascabel Cream Stout - (512) Brewing Company

(512) Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: champ103 on 01-23-2011

Smooth and roasty, and black as night, (512) Cascabel Cream Stout is brewed to a hair under 6% abv using almost 90% Organic Two Row and Crystal Malts, Chocolate Malt, and Roasted Barley. Non-fermentable Brewers Lactose is added for lasting sweetness, and over 20 pounds of Guajillo Chiles are added after fermentation to warm you up when the night gets chile.
Reviews by verset:
3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

3.59/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on-tap recently and adored it, so I jumped at the chance to nab a 64 oz growler fill earlier today. Reviewed live as a milk stout since they call it a stout and the website specifies that they added brewers lactose for sweetness.

Served chilled into a pilsner glass at low altitude in Austin, TX, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Expectations are high. The weight and angle of the growler necessitated an unusually vigorous pour.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 4 fingers wide. Gorgeous tan colour, great creaminess. Full, thick, and supple, with a soft overall appearance and an even consistency. Leaves a webby coating of lacing on the sides of the glass as it recedes. Retention is excellent - easily 10 minutes. This is damned impressive.

BODY: As you'd expect, it's an opaque solid jet black. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Overall, it's a great looking milk stout. There are of course ways it could be improved - a darker richer head, a bubble show, a better complexion - but that's nitpicking.

AROMA: The subtle ancho chile characteristics are fantastic, and the chile is just as present as it should be. The lactose sugar, dark malt, and chocolate malt-induced sweetness isn't too overt; in fact, this may be one of the more restrained milk stout aromas I've ever encountered. The roasted barley is nowhere near as prominent as it ought to be.

Overall, the aroma promises a balanced no-frills milk stout with some interesting chile character. Aromatic intensity is mild at most.

No off-notes, hop character, or yeast character is detectable. This is certainly to style.

TASTE: Not quite as good as I remember it being on-draught.

The chile heat in the third act is the first element I notice, but it's present from the early second act - it's just so subtly executed. It does grow on you and intensify as the beer comes to temperature, which I love. The chile heat isn't bad by any means - on par with mild ancho. I can't see anyone needing a second beverage whilst drinking this.

Predictably, dark/schwarz malts, chocolate malts, and lactose sugar fill out the malt backbone and lend it sweetness, but this isn't anywhere near as sweet as I expected, and is certainly on the tamer side for the style. Added complexity comes from cream, a hint of marshmallow, and a touch of roast. I crave more roasted barley, and constructively this build could do with still more intricacy - why not coffee, hazelnut, caramelized pecan, actual chocolate, cocoa nibs, vanilla bean, etc. It's adequately complex, but there's room for more.

The blend of admittedly basic dark malt sweetness with the subtle chile is just damned effective. There's an elegance to this beer's straightforward quality and balance.

The flavour duration is long, largely as result of the subtle chile heat that lingers into the aftertaste, encouraging another sip. Flavour depth and intensity are average or above average. This is absolutely a cohesive brew, and I do find that it tastes like a gestalt whole; it's hard to imagine removing anything. And the chile doesn't feel forced into the otherwise standard milk stout build at all.

I'm really enjoying this one, but my biggest issue is with the light vinegar that accompanies the chile - though I don't remember this characteristic from the draught version.

TEXTURE: Smooth, creamy, wet, and medium-bodied, with modest thickness. It's not a syrupy, sticky, or viscous mess like it could be. It's unrefreshing, but then no good milk stout isn't. Well-carbonated. Has adequate weight and heft on the palate, but it's not boozy. The alcohol is well-disguised.

OVERALL: Easily the most memorable milk stout I've had this year so far, and frankly I doubt I'll see it beaten. For my money, this crushes market imposters from other states like Left Hand's Milk Stout or Odell's Lugene's, but I'm not sure whether I prefer this or Lakewood's The Temptress in the Texan market. In any case, it's high praise when a milk stout is mentioned in the same vein as those other quality offerings, and I'll definitely plan on having this again. This growler fill has numbered days, gentlemen. This is worth seeking out when in Texas, and manages to attain a high drinkability even with the presence of chile heat - which is very tough to do. This is absolutely one of 512's best beers.

02.05.15: 2nd impressions from the same growler:

The chile is muted when this is served cold, and the sweetness takes over to its detriment. Needs time to warm.

Though it has (already) deteriorated somewhat in the growler, it remains a tasty brew with subtle chili heat and aptly high sweetness. Roasted barley presence would be nice, but overall it's pretty well balanced for what it is and I definitely like it.

Its high sweetness does limit its drinkability, but it's easily one of the best milk stouts available in Texas and in the USA (based on what I've had). Well worth trying.

4.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Served in a tall glass at the Addison Saucer. Kind of surprising to see a stout served in the tall weizen glasses.

The beer pours a very dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate with some chilis mixed in. A fairly unique aroma and quite enjoyable.

The flavor is similar. I get a lot of sweet chocolate with some roasted malt, spice from the chilis and some cream notes. I also get a little bit of coffee. No hops in the aroma, this is all about the malt.

Medium to thick, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A very nice, easy drinking sweet stout with a nice added twist of peppers. Great beer.

4.62/5  rDev +16.1%

This may be the best stout currently produced in Texas which used to not be saying much except in recent years a lot of great breweries have stepped up. The dried red chile taste of cascabel (actually tastes more like a pasilla negro than cascabel but no matter) is seamlessly woven into the overall taste of the beer from the aroma to the tickle of spice on the back of the throat.

Normally I enjoy chile beers but don't do more than one (I'm looking at you Wynkoop and Rogue Chipotle) however I found myself ordering multiple pints of this as it tastes as though the chile is *supposed* to be there.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

3.31/5  rDev -16.8%

Got my growler filled at Freetail in San Antonio on Wednesday night, poured about 24 hrs after growler fill. I know, don't worry, I drank plenty of Freetail beer while I was there, and got 5 growlers of their stuff too.

Poured into my Dfh snifter, a tiny bit of tan head appears, and then quickly resides. Smell: I definitely get some dairy flavors, some smoke and chipotle flavors, and maybe some chocolate flavors in the background. Taste: some sort of weird smoke and light pepper taste hits first, and then there is the cream/milk flavor at the end. This is unique for sure, and I like the creativity used, but I'm not sure if this pepper taste really belongs here (although I know its intentional). Mouthfeel: huge carbonation is nice, it is silky and creamy. Nice feeling beer. Drinability: goes down pretty easily, no flavor is really offensive, but I don't know that I'd get a growler of it again.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

4.84/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev +3%

I loved the heat the first year I had this, but the recent version I had was a lot sweeter with very little heat. I'm not sure if the recipe changed, but I much preferred the heat.

4.31/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

(512) Cascabel Cream Stout from (512) Brewing Company